PDA

View Full Version : Fitness/ Basketball/ Strength (+size)/ Football/ Rugby

gamodye
05-26-2009, 06:07 AM
these are all things that i want to get better at. Naturally, strength and size is my priority. Next is fitness, then the 3 sports (football, rugby, and basketball). I was wondering whether a schedule like the one that follows would be acceptable;

Over a 16 week period:

Weeks 1+2, 5+6, 9+10, 13+14:
my weightlifting routine posted on another thread, involving bench, squat, deadlift, OH press, rows, pullups, chinups.

Week 3, 7, 11, 15:
Plyometrics work (not sure what it entails, any help?)

Week 4, 8, 12, 16:
Football/ Basketball training in garden (any sort of skills/ shots/ e.t.c.)

any good? the weightlifting routine has already been approved btw, which is why i didn't fully go into details. There is a fair amount of work in the 2 weeks of each 'set' of 4 weeks routines, that includes cardio work, keeping fat gain to a minimum...

thanks

tnathletics2b
05-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Week 4, 8, 12, 16:
Football/ Basketball training in garden (any sort of skills/ shots/ e.t.c.)

You are going to have to train your skills/shots/etc. more than once every 4 weeks if you are going to see any kind of improvement. If you really want to have all those goals, you are going to have to make yourself somesort of camp-like schedule (in my opinion). For example:

-Early AM: Go running/do plyometric workout for 'Fitness' goal
-Eat Breakfast
-Relax
-Late AM: Workout for 'Strength (+size)' Goal
-PW Shake
-Relax
-Lunch
-Skills work (Football/Basketball/Rugby practice)
-PW Shake
-Relax
-Dinner
-Plenty of sleep

That is the routine I would follow. I would workout M,W,F or M,T,TH,F, run everyday during the week, practice skills everyday of the week, play some fun pickup games on the weekends- but not workout on weekends.

This is what we did in DI Baseball: 6 AM sprint conditioning, 10 am workouts, then practice from 2-6; so that is what I was modeling after. Good luck!

Ben Moore
05-26-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm sorry, but at 130lbs I wouldn't worry much about fat gain. Gain some fat to get some size and then shed it later.

Mike G
05-26-2009, 09:20 AM
I don't like it at all. Unless I'm reading it wrong, you're lifting for two weeks, then taking two off. I don't see you gaining much from that. One week of plyo's and one week of skill work isn't going to do much either. I think a set up where you focus on lifting and add in some skill work would be best. I only say this because of your goals, but if you aren't that concerned with sports and are more concerned with being stronger and in shape, make that your priority and train that way. It's easy to add in some skill work.

gamodye
05-28-2009, 02:06 AM
ok, so maybe i could lift weights on certain days of the week, as my routine is worked out. then one every other day (excluding sunday) i go jogging, and then the days inbetween the jogging, i practice football/ basketball/ rugby, doing skill work, shots, etc...

sound better?

blackboard
05-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Are you actually on any team or will be trying out for the first time? Unless you're that natural star in HS its going to be very hard to focus on multiple sports unless you are just training for fun?

Your weight is alright for basketball but you would need to put on some for football(see what I'm saying). Gaining weight will mess with your vertical but Im not sure if things are serious or just fun.

gamodye
05-29-2009, 03:26 AM
It's mostly for fun, except for football, where I am actually training for/ with the team, so I'd guess more weight should be my priority...

Counterweight
05-23-2011, 02:55 PM
What position do you play in football?

ThomasG
05-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I would do westside for skinny bastards v3