PDA

View Full Version : Balancing The Joys of Eating and Strict Bodybuilding Diets

samadhi_smiles
05-26-2009, 08:16 AM
I've noticed in this forum that a lot of people have come up with very exact diets, down to the single gram of how many walnuts for instance they will consume or other such ridiculous exactness.

Does this take away from the joys of preparing and eating food? If you have your diet planned out to such an extent can you any longer be a lover of food and a lover of new recipes and experimenting and testing new dishes?

How do YOU balance the joys of cooking/eating with your strict bodybuilding diet?

I admit, I tend to err toward the side of just getting caught up in the moment and loving to prepare food and eat it, not caring about exactly how much protein it has in it or how much of this or that fat, etc. Maybe I'm doing a disservice to myself though. I'm definitely enjoying myself though and one of the finest pleasures in life (food).

SuperTerrorizer
05-26-2009, 09:22 AM
I eat to fuel my body, not to enjoy it.

(at least now I do... I used to just eat whatever I wanted when I wanted and got FAT!)

Unreal
05-26-2009, 10:26 AM
You can make great results being strict 95% of the time. Now if you want to compete then that is different. If your just trying to get in shape, then relax every once and awhile. If you have a show 16 weeks out then no, you have to be strict.

I eat clean/strict for 27 out of 28 meals a week.

SuperTerrorizer
05-26-2009, 10:36 AM
If I ate clean at 95% of the time I'd cheat even more. That's the way my personality and eating habits are. I have to stay with a plan or I fall off track.

But I know what you mean. You don't have to kill yourself to get where you want to be.

VikingWarlord
05-26-2009, 12:49 PM
As Unreal said, it's all about whether you want to compete or not.

Personally, I'm more interested in functional fitness and enjoying a healthy life. It's entirely possible to eat very healthy while still being able to enjoy food. There's no reason that a healthy diet has to be bland and monotonous. Only eating egg whites, chicken breast, plain oatmeal, cans of tuna, and water is just ridiculous.

Enjoying food isn't going to make you get all fat as long as you keep some kind of control over what's going down the food hole. Prepare things yourself, refrain from heavily processed trash, and (most importantly) don't feel guilty about enjoying it. People in this world have this annoying tendency to self-flagellate because they ate those two cans of tuna at 4:30 instead of at 4:00 and NOW MY DIET IS ALL RUINED OMG I KILL MYSELF!!!!!!

Everyone just needs to chill the hell out. If you're not preparing for some kind of competition, being restrictive just causes you a lot of hassle and you need to decide if being miserable is worth having that six pack.

Clifford Gillmore
05-26-2009, 02:40 PM
As Unreal said, it's all about whether you want to compete or not.

Personally, I'm more interested in functional fitness and enjoying a healthy life. It's entirely possible to eat very healthy while still being able to enjoy food. There's no reason that a healthy diet has to be bland and monotonous. Only eating egg whites, chicken breast, plain oatmeal, cans of tuna, and water is just ridiculous.

Enjoying food isn't going to make you get all fat as long as you keep some kind of control over what's going down the food hole. Prepare things yourself, refrain from heavily processed trash, and (most importantly) don't feel guilty about enjoying it. People in this world have this annoying tendency to self-flagellate because they ate those two cans of tuna at 4:30 instead of at 4:00 and NOW MY DIET IS ALL RUINED OMG I KILL MYSELF!!!!!!

Everyone just needs to chill the hell out. If you're not preparing for some kind of competition, being restrictive just causes you a lot of hassle and you need to decide if being miserable is worth having that six pack.

Aye, this is sound material. Especially about 'bland' healthy food, there is so many possibilities with food that you could live a life without eating the same meal twice.. I love the Anthony Bourdains 'No Reservations' food show, that always makes me think about the food I've never had..... Hummm numm num num.

Unreal
05-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I can easily eat good yet stay in a strict diet. Grilled salmon, chicken, omelettes, etc are all great. Learning how to use spices and marinades is a big part of it.

Skalami
05-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I guess its whether you enjoy eating healthy. I like knowing im getting the most out of what i eat and usually try to do more to get more out of it. But if its not your thing... if you have to choke down spinach and chicken breasts then its gonna be hard on you.

VikingWarlord
05-27-2009, 09:59 AM
You shouldn't have to choke any of the stuff down. Anyone can learn to prepare food that's delicious AND healthy. Those that say they can't are too lazy to try.

SuperTerrorizer
05-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I actually prefer food that is bland. I rarely ever season my food or use condiments.

samadhi_smiles
05-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Viking great post. I was hoping you'd share your thoughts about this. I think I'm with you, a big part of enjoying life is learning how to prepare food well (yet still healthy). It doesn't have to be drenched in butter to be tasty.