PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about carb cycling

ShaneSauce
05-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Just read up on it for about a hour and figured I could do this and lean out a little bit.

I'm 16, 262 pounds and I'm always lifting or staying active with football practice.

My current BF% I'm not even sure..
Where is a good place I can get is measured?

I really need help with my diet though if I decide to do this.
I understand protein is the base of the diet along with fats.
Then you have your carb cycle which is high/low/none.

Questions
- Do I start with high then go to low the next day then none and start over?
- Can I substitute soda with diet soda?
- 250g carbs on high day, 75-125g on low day, 0-10g carbs on none?
- 5 meals a day, mostly lean meats with allot of protein right? (along with fruit, vegetables)
- Gallon of water a day?
- How much can i expect to lose in a week/month?
- Is there anything I'm missing?

Holto
05-26-2009, 01:11 PM
You're on the right track. I hate to see an athlete go to zero carbs, I don't think it's necessary.

The best thing you could do is track your calories for 2-4 weeks with the intention of maintaining weight. They you'd know your maintenance calories and you can report back to us for more specific advice.

ShaneSauce
05-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Last month I counted calories for about 2 weeks and I averaged anywhere from 2500-3500 calories a day.

That's pretty much maintenance for me, spring training football started 3 weeks ago and I have lost about 8 pounds since then but my progress has come to a halt.

I realize I could just eat 500-800 calories less a day but that's not what I needed to do.
Now that spring training is over and my summer football program is about to start I wanna carb cycle for about a month and see where that puts me.

Clifford Gillmore
05-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Have a look at Lyle McDonalds Ultimate Diet 2.0 if your serious about CC, its very indepth and very effective.

Holto
05-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Last month I counted calories for about 2 weeks and I averaged anywhere from 2500-3500 calories a day.

So what was the average?

Trainwreck
05-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Have a look at Lyle McDonalds Ultimate Diet 2.0 if your serious about CC, its very indepth and very effective.

This. I suggest you read the book, by the time you're done you'll know for sure whether or not you want to go through with it.

joey54
05-27-2009, 02:42 PM
I think at 16 years of age you have no reason to worry about carb cycling.

Holto
05-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here guys:

I can't see an athlete that has football practice doing UD2. It's really for guys that can design their entire training schedule around the diet itself. I'd hate to do two-a-days when you're depleted.

Mercuryblade
05-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here guys:

I can't see an athlete that has football practice doing UD2. It's really for guys that can design their entire training schedule around the diet itself. I'd hate to do two-a-days when you're depleted.

I think carb cycling when you are doing two-a-days is a horrible idea as well.
I can't imagine getting any kind of a decent practice with low blood sugar.

samadhi_smiles
05-27-2009, 04:25 PM
^ agree I would do a more even macro split (40/40/20) and overfeeding levels (ie 'bulking').

KingWilder
05-27-2009, 06:36 PM
why not just a basic Every Other Day Refeed?

high carb/cals on intense lifting days (most carbs geared pre and postworkout - 5-6 hour window), lower carbs/cals on OFF days/days where energy demands are lower

ShaneSauce
05-27-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm not too sure guys.

For the next 3 months during the summer I have football from 8am-11am that's it...
8am-9am we lift
9am-10am agilities
10am-11am perimeter/plays
There is no contact at all

So its not really that tiring compared to actual football practice every day after school for 3 hours.. where we actually gear up and go full contact

If carb cycling isn't the safe way to go then I'm not gonna do it.
I'm just looking for a effective cut/cycle whatever to lose some extra poundage and I figured carb cycling would be the easiest way out.

joey54
05-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Shane, why do you want to lose weight? What position do you play and how is your cadio/how has your cardio been in the past?

ShaneSauce
05-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Shane, why do you want to lose weight? What position do you play and how is your cadio/how has your cardio been in the past?

I want to lose weight because I feel like I'm carrying too much extra baggage.
I work way too hard to be carrying around all this extra gut.

I play defensive line now, I got switched there 2 weeks ago and it requires more speed and agility than the offensive line required.

My cardio isn't too great, I run about a 10 minute mile...
I'm much better at explosion work and sprints, etc

joey54
05-27-2009, 08:52 PM
I would say just reduce your total calories a bit for starters. How do you receover with your sprinting? Are you ready to go again in between play breaks or are you sucking for air on third down?

ShaneSauce
05-27-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm gonna keep my calories around 2500 and see how that works, but I'm afraid when I eat less calories a day my metabolism will slow down overall and take longer to shed pounds.

I'm never really out of breath between plays, the only time I'm gasping for air is when we do conditioning at the end of practice.
Its just ALLOT of sweating...

Holto
05-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm gonna keep my calories around 2500 and see how that works, but I'm afraid when I eat less calories a day my metabolism will slow down overall and take longer to shed pounds.

I'm never really out of breath between plays, the only time I'm gasping for air is when we do conditioning at the end of practice.
Its just ALLOT of sweating...

Your metabolism will slow down if you:

1) go too low with daily cals
2) cut for a really long time

This is why it's key to know your exact maintenance. I say go 2800 for a few weeks and see if you're losing. If you're not losing weight, drop down in 200-300 cals increments each week.

Sounds like your cardio is not bad...