PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

vdizenzo
05-26-2009, 04:11 PM
I am not exactly sure why, but I do my DE bench on Tuesdays. ME bench is on Friday. Am I supposed to be doing DE work on Monday?

That question comes from this one. Is it better to skip a workout if you are completely spent, or is it better to just get something in?

My pecs have been trashed. This is the second week in a row I felt like I could not do DE bench. So I took the bar and did 2x50 very controlled reps (mind you it's a 55lb bar which is much tougher than a 45). Then I went to warm up tri's and the bar was rough for 15 extensions. So I just did 3 more sets of that. Now that my workout had gone the way of complete "Bitchassness" I finished up with some super light underhand grip lat pulldowns and band pullaparts.

I'm torn here. I feel good that I got something done, but then again I feel like a punk for the workout itself. Anyway, if I did my DE work on Monday wouldn't I be much more beat up? But, would I feel better for ME?

Thoughts...

Travis Bell
05-26-2009, 04:19 PM
I think you did the wise thing. Better to get a little in than do nothing, because doing nothing will just let them sit and they won't get any better doing that, however had you done a whole DE workout they would probably be worse off.

Did you stretch out pre workout?

ZenMonkey
05-26-2009, 04:46 PM
I think you did the wise thing. Better to get a little in than do nothing, because doing nothing will just let them sit and they won't get any better doing that, however had you done a whole DE workout they would probably be worse off.

Did you stretch out pre workout?

Why would "letting then sit" not help? It seems if they are tired and fatigued it might be wise to let them rest.

Cards
05-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Why would "letting then sit" not help? It seems if they are tired and fatigued it might be wise to let them rest.

I agree with you, but I also have read/heard that some types of active recover helps with recovery. Last I checked active recovery was as simple as getting the blood flowing with some simple movements, even BW exercises.

vdizenzo,
by no means am I close to the training level you, are but I do find that light exercises do help in recovery by removing wastes and lactic acid by forcing blood into the muscles.

ZenMonkey
05-26-2009, 04:55 PM
I agree with you, but I also have read/heard that some types of active recover helps with recovery. Last I checked active recovery was as simple as getting the flood flowing with some simple movements, even BW exercises.

vdizenzo,
by no means am I close to the training level you, are but I do find that light exercises do help in recovery by removing wastes and lactic acid by forcing blood into the muscles.

The flood does flow... ;)

Right. I guess it comes down to the individual and how he feels. From his description it sounds like a break/rest/deload is in order.

Cards
05-26-2009, 05:19 PM
thanks for the correction.

MarcusWild
05-26-2009, 05:48 PM
I don't think anyone is going to question someone with your experience if you feel you need a down day.

I'm a big fan of active recovery. I did a meet Sunday. Yesterday, I spent ~30 minutes doing some mini band work, KB swings, etc. I'm starting to view the active recovery stuff as a must. Do you do any active recovery stuff the day after your workouts?

Travis Bell
05-26-2009, 07:22 PM

no use or minimal use = minimal blood flow which means minimal recovery or at least slowed recovery

vdizenzo
05-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys. I definitely feel better that I got some work in. What are the thoughts on my ME day being Friday and my DE day being Tuesday?

mike danforth
05-26-2009, 07:50 PM
I guess I'd be in the minority and think that rest would be better than not......it would depend on when in the week you feel freshest for ME work......

=Travis=
05-26-2009, 08:20 PM
I think it depends on your week and weekend, but I do my heaviest lifting on mondays with the idea that I took it easy all weekend and should be able to go big early in the week.

bencher8
05-26-2009, 08:37 PM
My DE day is wed and my ME day is sun. I think your ME day should be Sat. This would give you an extra little time to recover for your ME day...

Travis Bell
05-26-2009, 09:34 PM
DE day is Saturday or Sunday for me with ME day being Wednsday. Normally I get in on Saturday though. I do feel a bit better if I get in on Saturday.

robchris
05-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Vin,

I a big proponent of active recovery myself, however I'm finding it painfully obvious that my recovery abilities change I age...(40+ club)

Sometimes less is more.<<<

Esp. a guy on your level, you're more likely to dig inroads into your recovery than the average strengh athelete. I'm just sayin'...

My 2 cents

Ron C
05-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Extra work=faster recovery, not slower. I think some of you guys are mistaking extra work with an extra training session. It's not. It's designed to aid in recovery not make deeper inroads on recovery. I do DE on Mon, ME on Thurs. As so many have said, I'm not on your level either, but the principles are the same. Light work, stretching, massage, etc. are all going to help with recovery.

I don't know if moving the DE day to Mon would make a difference, unless it means more opportunity to do some extra workouts to help the pecs, tris, delts, lats recover and get stronger for the ME work.

Rob Luyando
05-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Vincent I would keep your days spilt monday/friday. Give your body a chance to heal. Tues friday is just hurting your ME work. You may still feel a little beat up but I think we covered the recovery issue acouple weeks ago. Ice, recovery drinks, joints support suppliments. I don't want to keep throwing the products that I use out on this site out of respect for Chris.

vdizenzo
05-27-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm going to give the Friday/Monday thing a shot. I'm going to add much more stretching in. I have not iced like I need to. I think that has been a big problem. I thought I was getting by with the contrast showers, but they are no match for dixie cups of ice massaged directly into the pecs. Thanks again for all the responses.

Sensei
05-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Do the icing and, if can swing it, get deep tissue massage from time to time. I wouldn't start something like a few weeks out from a meet, because it will likely make you feel lethargic 2-3 days after (as in very relaxed) the first few times you have it done, but it is well worth it IMHO.

ZenMonkey
05-27-2009, 04:31 PM
no use or minimal use = minimal blood flow which means minimal recovery or at least slowed recovery

I guess I didnt mean "dont do anything" literally. I mean not lifting but instead doing stretches, rolling etc... It just seems to me that would be a safer choice.

KarstenDD
05-27-2009, 11:21 PM
I was thinking earlier and you haven't had a real deload in 6 weeks, this being the seventh. There's no way the seminar really counted as a drop your load day.

Rob Luyando
05-28-2009, 10:56 AM
I was thinking earlier and you haven't had a real deload in 6 weeks, this being the seventh. There's no way the seminar really counted as a drop your load day.

Vincent if this is true you should really consider a deload every 5th week. You are complaining about feeling beat up and not recovering fast enough. I know you are against De-load work becuase of your manly man status but seriously it will do you some good. Just becuase you deload doesn't mean you have to train super light. When I deload I go as heavy as 100 lbs from my best lift and that does it for me.