PDA

View Full Version : ME Bench 5.27.09

Travis Bell
05-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Here's video from this week. No super scientific reason behind this workout, Vincent just inspired me to try and hit a PR with the doubled monster mini bands.

I looked back in my log and noticed I hadn't done this exercise since I was prepping for the raw unity meet, so I figured now was a good time to resurrect the exercise. Previous PR was 435.

J_IwjqL8vL8

MarcusWild
05-27-2009, 10:23 PM
I like how you cliffhanger your into. Previous PR was 435... Nice work.

Hazerboy
05-28-2009, 02:46 AM
Nice job on the PR travis! Someday I hope to squat 440+ bands XD XD

Something I have been wondering about though: ME seems like a very "feel" thing to me. Do you really go for a PR every time you try an exercise, or some days do you just hit a few heavy singles when you're feeling crappy? Also, how often do you miss a weight, meaning you either got a PR then took a heavier weight and missed, or straight up missed your PR attempt? I feel like I did this a lot last time I went through a few westside cycles.

The reason I'm asking is I feel like a lot of articles really emphasizing never missing a weight, whereas I usually missed every other workout or so (usually I would hit a PR then take a heavier weight and fail). Rhodes and vincent are both real big on this.

Another question: Do you press towards your face a bit with your raw form or in a straight line? is pressing towards your face only a shirted thing?

Westside is also a big advocate of picking exercises that strengthen your weaknesses. But what about someone like me whose weak EVERYWHERE- what sort of exercise selection should I shoot for for my next westsside cycle (this summer?). My best competition bench is 280, and I usually fail around 2 inches off the chest... sort of like every other raw bencher out there XD. My lockout and 3brd+ work is also crappy, though I"m wondering if that is as big a deal for raw benchers.

mosley1990
05-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Great work as always!

Travis Bell
05-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Nice job on the PR travis! Someday I hope to squat 440+ bands XD XD

Something I have been wondering about though: ME seems like a very "feel" thing to me. Do you really go for a PR every time you try an exercise, or some days do you just hit a few heavy singles when you're feeling crappy? Also, how often do you miss a weight, meaning you either got a PR then took a heavier weight and missed, or straight up missed your PR attempt? I feel like I did this a lot last time I went through a few westside cycles.

Yes, we go for a PR every time. The trick is you need to keep track of your PRs on each exercise so that you know what you need to hit. Sometimes I get a big PR, other times it's a small one.

Honestly, I don't often walk into a ME workout feeling crappy.

This past winter I developed an abcess, 102 fever, lost 13lbs and still dragged myself into the gym and squeezed out a PR on whatever exercise it was. This was the same week that I had everything going on.

If you're missing a weight continually you're either A) picking too big of jumps for your PR attempts or B) not doing your ascessory work correctly and bringing up your weaknesses.

I actually attempted the 455 first this week, missed it so I went to 440 which was a 5lb PR. I wanted 455 just for the fact that Vincent got it last week.

The reason I'm asking is I feel like a lot of articles really emphasizing never missing a weight, whereas I usually missed every other workout or so (usually I would hit a PR then take a heavier weight and fail). Rhodes and vincent are both real big on this.

That would be the first time in several months that I've missed a weight in the gym.

You don't want to do it consistently, that's a big no no, but sometimes you need to push yourself a little harder and see if you match up. That is something that you'll get the hang of once you're a little more advanced, for now stick with the weights you know you'll be able to hit.

Another question: Do you press towards your face a bit with your raw form or in a straight line? is pressing towards your face only a shirted thing?

Slightly over my face, not a ton though. If I go too far back over my face it'll put the weight behind my elbows and I won't be able to lock it out.

Westside is also a big advocate of picking exercises that strengthen your weaknesses. But what about someone like me whose weak EVERYWHERE- what sort of exercise selection should I shoot for for my next westsside cycle (this summer?). My best competition bench is 280, and I usually fail around 2 inches off the chest... sort of like every other raw bencher out there XD. My lockout and 3brd+ work is also crappy, though I"m wondering if that is as big a deal for raw benchers.

Stuff like what I just did would be a good exercise, mini bands, monster mini bands, chains, and floor presses would all be good.

Also, do heavy DB bench on your ME day

Cambered bar bench is a good one, normally off a 1 brd so you don't have to go quite so deep.

And then lots of tricep work, DB extensions, Tate presses, pressdowns, floor presses, JM presses, pushups in the rack off a bar, that sorta stuff

Brian Hopper
05-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Nice pr!!!

Rob Luyando
05-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Travis nice work and what the "F" were you thinking missing an attempt. LOL! Solid effort! How much band or "Key" tension were you using?

bencher8
05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
I posted on this and it dissappeared...robs not a moderator here is he? he likes to remove and change my posts all the time. Rob didnt watch the vid..it says on there 110# tension. I dont think its enough, you should have used purples, but whatever travis...lol

I remember being a guinea pig for George. At one point we were using greens doubled and blues doubled kicking in half way through the rom. 600# of bands at the top!

I would try this exercise on my raw day this sun, but i dont wanna embarass myself lol

Travis Bell
05-28-2009, 02:29 PM
haha we had Chickenhawk using doubled green bands this week....but it was in his shirt LOL

It's funny you should mention the bands kicking in halfway though, I'll have to talk to George about how he set that up. I was considering throwing it in somewhere this summer.

I've already got my next 4 weeks planned out though so it'll have to wait. No more goofing around for awhile.

slashkills
05-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Strong stuff as usual Travis.'

How is the louie simmons article comming?

bencher8
05-28-2009, 03:46 PM
yeah, try that setup out...it is a cool exercise that teaches you to accelerate to the top, but it will kick your tail!

Beefcaker
05-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Do you change exercises every week, or every two weeks?

Erik 23
05-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Good work Travis Looked really strong

Travis Bell
05-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Do you change exercises every week, or every two weeks?

Every week

Travis Bell
05-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Good work Travis Looked really strong

Thanks Erik!

Ben Moore
05-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Good Lord - I hit 335 and dbl minis a couple weeks ago - you're 100lbs ahead of me, haha. Hell of a job man.