PDA

View Full Version : The plan...

Hazerboy
05-28-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm thinking of doing another meet before school starts again in september or so. My plan until then is to...

1) Bulk to 210

2) cut bodyfat to around 202, where I know I can easily make 198 by losing water weight the day before. I have all summer to do this, so I figure if I do it slowly enough I won't lose much strength.

I haven't had my bodyfat measured in awhile though I'm guessing its around 11%. First thing I'm going to do is have it measured with caliper's or something better.

Before the rhodehouse crowd jumps all over, me I'm doing this for a few reasons. For one, I want to prove to myself I can cut bodyfat without losing to much muscle. In the process I would also like to learn a thing or two dieting, one of the areas of training I'm pretty ignorant about. For another, I wanted to give one more run at the 198's before I move up a weight class to 220. I figure my numbers are going to suck for awhile at 220 so I might as well do real well at one last meet at 198. If I do well enough, I might stay a bit longer, but I'm thinking with my proportions I'd do best at a higher weight class. I will also feel much more comfortable moving up a weightclass knowing I can easily cut bodyfat. Finally, the lowest bodyfat I've ever been was my senior year of high school at 9%. I'm wondering what I will look at at around 7 or 8.

So thats the plan. I know I'm going to be using whey as well as RESULTS while on my cut, and whatever else you guys recommend for maintaining or even gaining my strength while on a cut. As for the diet itself, my first week I was going to record everything on fitday to get an idea of where my total calories and macro nutrients are, then try either.... PSMF, carb cycling, or something similiar (any other recommendations?). So far my knowledge is fairly limited as far as dieting goes, though I've read quiet a bit on WBB and t-nation on both PSMF and carb cycling, as well as just calorie reduction.

So I guess what I'm looking for from the powerlifting crew is what diets you have tried for doing something like this, and how has it worked? How has cutting bodyfat effected your strength? Also, what books would you recommend picking up? I was thinking of "nutrient timing" because that looked really interesting, but I need a good book on one of the two diets itself.

Finally, how has your routine changed during a diet (less volume?) and what about implementing HIIT, like sprints or something (I've already added a few 100M a week to get my body primed for HIIT if I decide to do it in the future). I feel like I mostly just hear about powerlifters cutting water weight for a meet, so it will be interesting to hear about anyone's experiences.

MarcusWild
05-28-2009, 10:10 AM
What do you weigh now? If you're around 198, then I'd just use carb cycling. You can get bigger and leaner if you're disciplined enough. This whole idea that you need to get fat when you bulk is very archaic. The carb cycling approach will let you increase your strength the entire time vs. worrying about losing strength when you cut.

Hazerboy
05-28-2009, 02:37 PM
What do you weigh now?

I weighed myself after a workout with full cloths on at like 205 or 206. I'm thinking first think in the morning in just boxers probably around 201 or 202. I cut water weight easily to 198 at my last meet.

Do you have any recommendation for good books that I should look into?

Reko
05-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Lol, you can get to 210 in a day from that weight and 202 in a day or two after that.
Just skip to 242.

MarcusWild
05-28-2009, 04:46 PM
"Power Eating" is good. Elitefts sells it.

Cmanuel
05-29-2009, 03:43 PM
For carb cycling, Lyle McDonalds book "the ketogenic diet" is hands down the best I've read. Its a non biased book written from a science based perspective. It may be somewhat hard to follow unless you have a biology course under your belt. Its very thorough and covers the various types of ketogenic diets including cyclic ketogenic diets (which are what most carb cycle advocates follow).

Check it out.

Hazerboy
06-02-2009, 02:19 PM
For carb cycling, Lyle McDonalds book "the ketogenic diet" is hands down the best I've read. Its a non biased book written from a science based perspective. It may be somewhat hard to follow unless you have a biology course under your belt. Its very thorough and covers the various types of ketogenic diets including cyclic ketogenic diets (which are what most carb cycle advocates follow).

Check it out.

Yeah something like this was exactly what I've been looking for.