PDA

View Full Version : Determining maintinance calories

knowsam
05-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Is there any way other that guess and test to determine what your maintaince calory level is? I see very general numbers out there but I'd like to know a bit more specifically. I'm 6"1, ~195 lbs and probably 20-25%bf.

My end goal is to bulk a bit but I'd like to work on that 20-25%bf a bit before I add the fat that comes with a bulk. Right now I'm in the first stages of one of the SS routines (while I'm progressing up I'm going slowly working on technique), I do a 1/2 hr cardio before the weights and on the off days I do an hour of cardio of some sort and try to get one rest day a week.

Cheers
Sean

Trainwreck
05-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Fitday (http://www.fitday.com), use this to track your eating habits for a couple weeks. The whole point is to determine how many calories you need to eat daily in order to maintain your current weight. Once you have that number, you can manipulate it based on your goals (cutting/bulking).
You could use a calculator to get a rough estimate but it won't be as accurate as tracking your eating habits.
If you want to lower your BF% then you're gonna have to cut which just means eat below maintenance, once you reach your desired BF% then you can bulk like you said...so just eat more.
It all comes down to how consistent you are with your diet and training.

Skelator03
05-28-2009, 05:06 PM
TNT DIET to cut look it up has worke wonders on me and my BF%

knowsam
05-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, that Fitday is a great site. What I'm looking for is a way to determine what my personal caloric maintaince requirements are. Is there a relaible way to determine this? Do I have to arrange it through a doctor, a gym, some other way?
Thanks

Holto
05-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Maintenance calories can only be observed.

You have to track your intake over a period of a week or two where you're not gaining or losing weight. It is quite literally the ONLY way to determine it.

Consider two indentical twins, both lifting weights 5x week, both identical in terms of lean mass, weight and body fat percentage. One of them is single, one of them has a really horny girlfriend. Which one has the higher maintenance calories?

Honestly, it takes some discipline, but it's not that hard...I truly believe everyone should weight and measure their food for a few weeks, it's and extremely eye opening experience. You should weight and measure every individual food/meal you eat at least once. I switched from cheese slices to mozzarella cheese on my burgers one summer. I thought it was comparable cals until I weighed the few innocent slices of mozz to realize it was nearly 500 cals...