PDA

View Full Version : Strongman Training

Goodwinm
05-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Okay so I've decided to make a new journal because I have accomplished the target of my last one, being to hit a big 3 of 1,000lbs which I have done. So my new journal is basically involving my current setup of strongman training. So that means anything heavy and/or oddly shaped, like sandbags, cement blocks, farmers, thick barbells, and the like.

For those who don't know me or remember me my name is Mike, I'm 19 years old and I reside in the UK, near Birmingham (Old Hill to be exact).

I am training for strongman events in the local area and hopefully one day soon I will be competing in the under 105kg englands strongest man competition! (drug free)

Tonights workout to follow.

Kind Regards

Mike G.

Tom Mutaffis
05-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Good to see you posting on here.

A friend of mine who is a Pro 105K Strongman is going to be moving over to England soon, he is currently pursuing olympic lifting though.

Goodwinm
05-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Thursday 28th May 2009

A sickening night

Was at my place for my workout tonight -usually go to the garage with a lot more kit- and all I have is a 110lb bag, but that doesn't stop me from kicking my own arse with it!

Warmup consisted of 15 meter shuttles of walking, and jogging for 8 - 10 times. Get the blood flow going.

Then into.....

Walk with 110lb sandbag
15 meters x 4

Jog with 110lb sandbag
15 meters x 4

Sprint with 110lb sandbag
15 meters x 4

Sandbag floor to podium (fast as possible!) (just a brick wall...)
1 meter high x 10 reps

Sandbag Strict Press (nothing heavy so should have gone for more reps)

110lb x 5
110lb x 5

One arm sandbag push press

110lb x 4 (right arm)
110lb x 0 (left arm) form I think with the left side!

Sandbag Bear Hug Squat

110lb x 10 (should have stopped but carried on with second set)
110lb x 10

1 minute later.... puke time! Pushed too hard on the bearhug squats. They really are beastly! Ass to grass as well so killer diller!

That's a wrap. Didn't last more than 20 odd minutes but I was drained. I had to push myself!

next session should be at the garage where I can do the sandbag squats with 230lb + :D

Goodwinm
05-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Good to see you posting on here.

A friend of mine who is a Pro 105K Strongman is going to be moving over to England soon, he is currently pursuing olympic lifting though.

Thanks Tom :)

I'll have to look out for him. What his name?

Coke
05-29-2009, 10:27 AM
That is some baddass work with the bag Mike.

Goodwinm
05-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Coke - Thanks mate. It was totally brutal trust me!

Saturday 30th May 2009

Beautiful Strongman Sunshine!

At home again for tonights workout so just the 110lb sandbag.

Sandbag Push Press

110lb x 5
110lb x 5

Sandbag Military Press

110lb x 10
110lb x 10

One handed sandbag push press

110lb x 3 (right)
110lb x 0 (left) Bah humbug.

Sandbag Floor bench press

110lb x 5
110lb x 5
110lb x 5
110lb x 5
110lb x 5
110lb x 5

Sandbag Military Press

110lb x 10

Sandbag Hammer curls

110lb x 5

Sandbag Caber Toss (like a normal caber toss but backwards over the head)

110lb x 3 (This is a killer on biceps!)

With the sandbag toss I get the sandbag resting on my arms like a zercher lift. So clean in into this position and then bend knees and then spring up and throw the bag upwards and behind.

Arms and chest very swole at the moment as I type this. Another solid workout but I do want to be using my heavier sandbags at my parents garage. Might have to sweet talk my partner into letting me keep all my bags at home :D

Coke
05-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Actually looks like you're having fun there man.

Goodwinm
06-03-2009, 02:40 AM
Wednesday June 3rd 2009

Workout at 7:10am!

I havn't had a morning workout for years!
very quick workout 10 - 15 minutes. But wanted to get one in before working 9-5.

Bodyweight Squat

*In lbs unless stated*

Bearhug Sandbag Squat

110 x 10
110 x 10

Sandbag Push Press

110 x 5

Sandbag Strict Press

110 x 10
110 x 10

My legs are stronger than my shoulders honest. At a push I could have done another set but pushed for time and bearhug squats do take it out of you especially early on in the morning!

Goodwinm
06-03-2009, 02:51 AM
On a side note, I talked my partner into letting me keep my sandbags at home :D
She agreed as long as they are kept outside and out of the way.

Coke
06-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Good deal on the quick morning workout dude.

Goodwinm
06-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Coke - Thanks man :)

Monday 8th June 2009 Morning again (sucked ran out of time)

I was gonna do a crossfit style sandbag workout today but unfortunatley I ran out of time. I was gonna try and squeeze it in before work but no luck. I had to stop :(

So this was the plan

110lb sandbag,
21 thrusters,
15 thrusters,
10 thrusters,

1 set for time.
All I can say is brutal. I did 21 reps with breaks in between (3 breaks in total I think). But then I was thiking this is gonna take too long and I Don't have the time. I was pretty smashed by the 21 anyway but I know I can finish this course just how long it will take is the question.

Any other takers on this beast?
Trust me atf squats to overhead press is a beasty workout even with just 110.

Goodwinm
06-12-2009, 04:44 AM
Friday 12th June 2009

Sandbag Crossfit Thrusters (Squat with sandbag into overhead press)

Ok so I did manage to do it this time as last time I ran out of time.
Oh my god I was trashed though. My time sucked but I will try again soon to beat the time!

Okay so here we go.

Thrusters with 110lbs

21 reps
15 reps
10 reps

1 set for time.

Time : 17 mins 36 seconds = :bang:

If I did this with a 110 bar I bet I could have got a much better time. The sandbag just moves around like a beast and is so much more difficult. I am pleased I actually finished it though.

I have video of this in full but youtube max is 10 minutes. I will have to put it up another way instead.

I want someone else to do this because It is harder than it looks on paper.

KoSh
06-12-2009, 05:56 AM
You're a badass man. I've always wondered what sandbag training and strongman stuff would be like to train for. I imagine it's a bitch but it's fun at the same time...

Coke
06-12-2009, 08:01 AM
That sandbag crossfit **** is hard, no doubt - keep on it man.

Goodwinm
06-12-2009, 09:46 AM
KoSh - Thank you :-). You should give it a try my friend. It will give you the endurance but also the awesome strength as well!

Coke - Will do, will do. Maybe you could have a one of session with it ;)

tomv
06-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Hahah man 110lb Sanbag is like... 50kg! That's heavy stuff mate, thrusters are a hard exercise anyway dude so I wouldn't worry about that, especially with someone that moves around!

Keep at it.

WBBIRL
06-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Looks good man, making the best of what you have and getting the job done!

Do you plan to compete strongman?

Goodwinm
06-15-2009, 01:56 AM
tomv - Thanks mate. Well I hope to be doing thrusters with 100kg soon. Maybe not for 46 reps though....

WBBIRL - Thank you. :) . I will be competing in upcoming west midlands strongman events in England. I was looking to go for the under 105kg strongman comps but i'm 110kg currently and really do not want to lose 5kgs so looks like I'll be up with the Big Big guys as well!

tomv
06-15-2009, 03:47 AM
100kg Thrusters?! That's ****in massive mate, sick work.

Chubrock
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Just now saw this. Couldn't ever find your journal for some reason. Awesome job with the sandbags. I'll have to see what our heaviest bag is in the gym. I may have to try that one sometime.

AJ_H
06-15-2009, 04:14 PM
nice stuff mate. I actually live in Birmingham, right next to where spaghetti junction is. I actually pass by old hill on the train on a regular basis, well I used to anyway...

Goodwinm
06-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Tomv - Haha it certainly will be sick if I could do a 100kg thruster but we will see :D (i've done 70kg/80kg sandbag thrusters quite confortably for a few reps)

Chub - Thank you man. Good to see you in here. It is brutal and it kills you, especially when done in the early mornings (I suck at morning workouts)

AJ_H - THank you. I live right next door to old hill train station funnily enough. You'll have to stop off for a session some time. Always looking for a training partner!

Will post todays workout shortly!

AJ_H
06-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the journal post, will definitely consider. Whereabouts you train? At home? Or a strongman/powerlifting gym/regular bodybuilding gym with a squat rack :)

Goodwinm
06-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Tuesday 16Th June 2009

Sandbag Deadlifts (just to feel the movement. grip was like a towel grip)

110 x 10
110 x 10

Sandbag Shrug

110 x 12
110 x 12

Sandbag Mil Press

110 x 12
110 x 8 (poor! Should have nailed 12) My excuse was the bag collapsing into two halves making it real hard to control!

Overhead Squat (Flexibility sucks on this. My arms just do not go back enough when squatting down. Practice Practice Practice!

110 x F
110 x F
110 x F

Sandbag Bearhug Squats

110 x 10

Sandbag Playing

So then I carried the sandbag upstairs with me and then just cradled it and walked up and down the corrider then squatting down occasionaly and then dropping it and ripping it back up again and repeating it. So basically just making this sandbag my bitch! hehe.
Finished off this knackering playtime with 10 bearhug squats.

Result = back pretty screaming from all the carrying!

Edit: I did add an extra 4kg to the bag before the workout which I forgot to mention. Just a dumbell bar and a 2kg plate I had lying around.
Can't be bothered to edit again so if you wanna be precise about it the sandbag weighed 118.8lbs.....

Goodwinm
06-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the journal post, will definitely consider. Whereabouts you train? At home? Or a strongman/powerlifting gym/regular bodybuilding gym with a squat rack :)

No problem :)

I train at home but also at my parents garage. Got squat rack there with more sandbags and 200kg's of weights to play with.

Don't go to gyms anymore. Maybe I might in future just for more weight!!

Coke
06-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Props on the hard work bro.

Goodwinm
06-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Props on the hard work bro.

Thank you :)

I am looking forward to upping the weight to 200lbs+ :D

Tom Mutaffis
06-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks Tom :)

I'll have to look out for him. What his name?

His name is Adam Keep. He has competed internationally a couple of times recently including contests in Iceland and Hungary.

Have you found a strongman group to train with yet?

Just made a sandbag myself; 170 lbs. Seems like it will be a great tool for conditioning.

Goodwinm
06-17-2009, 12:29 AM
His name is Adam Keep. He has competed internationally a couple of times recently including contests in Iceland and Hungary.

Have you found a strongman group to train with yet?

Just made a sandbag myself; 170 lbs. Seems like it will be a great tool for conditioning.

Thanks for the info :)

There is a place I can train on sundays with Ade Rollinson (former Britain's Strongest Man competitor). He has a setup by where I work with all strongman equipment.
Might go there soon.

Goodwinm
06-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Sunday 21st June 2009

The Move

Ok so finally managed to get all my sandbags home which is awesome. So now I have quite a few sandbags of various weights. I tried to weigh them but they don't fit on either my bathroom scales properly so I don't really know how much they weigh! The heaviest sandbag I had slightly dropped onto my scales and crushed it so pretty heavy me thinks (must be about 130kg). But they all feel very heavy. The lightest I know for a fact is 60kg. I put the current 50kg one into another bag of sand so now weighs about 80-90kgs.

The move was actually saturday so I had a bit of a play around with the bags then so knackered myself slightly with them.

Yesterday I tortured myself with them and certainly made use of all the bags. I did sandbag presses with the ones I could. A lot of sandbag pick ups and carrying, deadlifting. General playing really which was awesome. I did some sandbag onto podium stuff too. Just a 1 meter podium. Managed to get all sandbags on but the heaviest. I was shattered and then I had to put them all away which is a great way to finish yourself off with sandags as the heaviest bag I have was unliftable at the end so I had to tyre flip it all the way back.

Good fun most definatley!

Sidior
06-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Training looks awesome in here! It has been awhile since I was in a log of yours, I hope all is well.

Goodwinm
06-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Very well thank you :D how about yourself?

Looking forward to killing myself tonight with the bags.
Will be making a 200kg+ sandbag which I can use for tyre like flipping :D

Chubrock
06-22-2009, 06:36 PM
LOL I think you'll find a 200 kilo sandbag is in no way comparable to a 200 kilo tire.

Goodwinm
06-23-2009, 04:24 AM
LOL I think you'll find a 200 kilo sandbag is in no way comparable to a 200 kilo tire.
Probably not so i'll just stick to calling it a sandbag flip :)

Never tried tire flipping. Are they a hell of a lot harder?

Chubrock
06-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Nah bro, I was thinking the exact opposite. A 200 kilo Sandbag is going to be an absolute monster for flips. With a tire, the weight is evenly distributed and while making the lift you're rotating the tire over a fixed point. With the sandbags, the weight shifts constantly, doesn't stay on a fixed point and typically folds slightly. All this adds up to much more of the weight having to be flipped when compared to the tire.

Goodwinm
06-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Nah bro, I was thinking the exact opposite. A 200 kilo Sandbag is going to be an absolute monster for flips. With a tire, the weight is evenly distributed and while making the lift you're rotating the tire over a fixed point. With the sandbags, the weight shifts constantly, doesn't stay on a fixed point and typically folds slightly. All this adds up to much more of the weight having to be flipped when compared to the tire.

Oooh rite thats why my 200kg sandbag feels like a beast to flip! I can flip it quite easily but wow it burns!!

I can get bags that hold upto over 1,000lbs of sand from my local polypropylene bag manufacturer so I might even buy some hugely oversized bags just to try :D

Goodwinm
06-23-2009, 07:28 AM
I really have no idea what tire flips feels like.

I will stick to sandbag flips until I get a tire to try.

Goodwinm
06-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Tuesday 22nd June 2009

A lot of flipping....

Okay so tonight there was a lot of flipping going on with my 'packed to bursting point' sandbag. Not sure of the exact weight but must be over 130kg. Was flipping this like crazy working on form. Killer Diller!
I think I naturally have good technique for this. Low sprinting set position and explode with legs, catch the bag and kind of get under it and then push it over.

Did this god knows how many times (leg's aching a lot now).
I also picked the beastly sandbag off the floor in a bearhug fashion and managed to walk with it 5 meters. I was chuffed. I am going to try and shoulder this beast as well (soon).

So good workout. Sweating buckets, heart rate high, muscles pumped and back and legs felt great.
Will be going back up to 200kg sandbag again soon. (I need to re-make the bag up though. My previous attempt was on verge of sand storm!)

I have video of the sandbag flipping and also the short carry. Upload soon I promise. It is a beast not only for the weight but because it is so packed tight that the only way to lift it is bearhug, unless of course you have super strong grip! (Which I do not unfortunately, although I can almost close the HG300 with my right hand if that's anything to go by)

Coke
06-23-2009, 07:39 PM
You are really going at it man, good job.

Goodwinm
06-25-2009, 12:31 AM
thanks coke. I push myself hard every workout!

Goodwinm
06-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Friday 26th June 2009

Morning Madness

Okay so today's workout again I pushed myself hard and even did some floor presses with sandbags for chest and tri's. (mainlt tri's)

I'm not posting numbers because being totally honest, I don't know how much these bags exactly weigh.
I did lots of flipping of my biggest bag. Managed to pick it up bearhug style and walk about 15 steps with it.
I Bearhug squatted my 100kg bag for 7 reps which is a new personal record. (going for 10 next time).

I'll have to have a gym workout soon too. Need to do some deadlifting and squatting!

Coke
06-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Definitely stepping to it regardless to what the bags weigh, props.

Goodwinm
06-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Cheers Coke.
Know any good weighing scales for large surface area products?

Coke
06-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Cheers Coke.
Know any good weighing scales for large surface area products?

I like the Tanita scales for home use, but as far as the ones you are looking for I can't really give input.

Check this out though:

http://www.smarter.com/se--qq-Weighing%2BScales%2BUK.html

Goodwinm
06-28-2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the info coke.

I think I'm just gonna have to stick with normal bathroom scales. Paying 200 quid for a large surface area scale seems pointless to me. I suppose if I get a scale heavy duty enough i can stand on it with the sandbag and then take away my bodyweight from the total to get the bag weight.

This is what I did with my lighter bags but with the heavier bags the scale either says 'error' or gets crushed and breaks!

tomv
06-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Goodwin you could also try local industrial units depending on where you live. A lot of companies have to ship rather large or awkward items and thus have industrial scales in their warehouses. Just a thought.

Goodwinm
06-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Goodwin you could also try local industrial units depending on where you live. A lot of companies have to ship rather large or awkward items and thus have industrial scales in their warehouses. Just a thought.

Nice idea tom! I actually live right opposite 2 industrial estates with a lot of warehouses. Thanks for that idea. Never even thought of going to them. I had thought about visiting some factories but totally didn't think about the ones opposite!

Goodwinm
07-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Well I did have a workout a few days after the one posted here but I never posted it up.

Was another sandbag workout with lots of carrying, pulling and bag to shoulder work. I managed to shoulder my 120-130kgish bag. Wow that was a struggle!

Also had a gym workout yesterday.

Saturday 4th July 2009 (Happy Independence Day America!)

Deadlift Havn't done the deadlift in ages. Had no chalk, no belt and of course as always no barbell straps. Made things real hard in this stupid heat! Slippy, Sweaty hands!

45 x 10 (double overhand)
132 x 10 (double overhand)
225 x 5 (double overhand)
315 x 5 (double overhand)
405 x 2 (Over Under)
405 x 1 (Over Under)
405 x 1 (Over Under)
405 x 1 (Over Under)
5 minutes...
405 x F (double overhand) (got off the floor by about an inch,) grip is certainly stronger than ever at the moment!)

Really annoyed me not having chalk. I could have nailed 500 again if I had chalk damn it. Oh well I am pleased with deads and having not done them for a while. the 315 x 5 was easy. I have video which I want to upload of it.

Military Press Again havn't done this movement in fookin' ages with a barbell. Pleased but wanted to be mil pressing 225. Next time! :D

45 x 10
132 x 5
154 x 5
180 x 3
132 x loads (push press)

HS Shoulder Press Machine Thing

66 x 5
110 x 5
132 x 5
180 x 5
210 x 1

Tricep Pushdown (stupid these are. says the stack goes upto 95kg (210lbs but it felt too light for that kind of weight.)

So if we say a third of the number weight as this sounds a little bit more reasonable.

35kg x 10 (23kg x 10)
50kg x 5 (33kg x 5)
70kg x 5 (47kg x 5)
80kg x 5 (53kg x 5)
95kg x 5 (63kg x 5) (this weight did feel heavy but not 95kg heavy. If I could get a rep of 95kg on tri pushdowns I would be very happy!

Bicep Curl Machine
*two hands curling one weight) My strongman buddies would kick my ass if they saw this! haha

25kg x 5
35kg x 5
40kg x 5
50kg x 5
55kg x 3

I think that was it. Absolute ripoff though this session was. I had to pay 8.50 ($13.5) to get in as it was a saturday and all the gyms around shut at 4pm except for this one (i was working til 3pm so would be pointless)

Happy about the session though. Looked very big. Typically though walking back to get my bus the heaven opened and I was all nice and wet.
Didnt stop me from picking up my 225 sandbag though and having a run with it for 30m after I got back home :D

Goodwinm
07-05-2009, 01:02 AM
And as a favor to you guys with how my strongman training is getting on, below is a video of me kicking a stones as at my local shopping centre. It is a decorative natural stone and was just begging to be lifted! :D

DnEt2xZovYc

Coke
07-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Damn dude, looking huge in that video - quite the adventurous one, lol...the workout session was excellent!!

Goodwinm
07-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Damn dude, looking huge in that video - quite the adventurous one, lol...the workout session was excellent!!

Thanks coke!
I'm about 240 at the moment but that can all change if I have had 6-7 pints of milk in a day :D