PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 ?'s.

djenkins76
05-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Last night i had to dead lift . 3x3.... 330,350 and 370.. On the last set i hit 370 for 11, and i probably could have hit 15. Should i maybe move my max up 15 pounds for more of a challenge? Or should i not try and got balls out like that any more? Needs some in put, thanks. And i come to a complete stop at the bottom then pull again.

Tom Mutaffis
05-29-2009, 09:37 AM
It sounds like you went pretty conservative on the max. Was this one of your first 5/3/1 workouts?

Generally most people go with 90% of their 1RM for the program so that you do not miss lifts - but hitting 11 reps on the max set for the 3x3 day is a bit much, something in the 4-7 rep range would be more appropriate.

This program does not take into consideration lifters who are just getting started, aggressively gaining bodyweight, or using performance enhancing "supplements" as those three categories will make gains more quickly. It is more of a long term program for an advanced lifter looking to make steady progress.

vdizenzo
05-29-2009, 09:37 AM
How did you calculate your max?

Guido
05-29-2009, 10:25 AM
You definitely need to make your assumed max much higher. Better yet, test it and find out what it actually is. As Tom said this program is not meant for beginner or intermediate lifters who will make gains almost regardless of what program they're on.

djenkins76
05-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I used a max of 455(after taking 90% is 410), the week before I began my program I tried to max out for everything. And i used those maxes and then took 90% of those maxes. I had a feeling i could have dead lifted more but just stopped there. So would you recommend me adding 15 to 20 pounds jump for the next wave. Thanks for all the help.

Just some back ground i just began power lifting full on the week of xmas 08, have a pretty good group i lift with, but im currently the only one running 5/3/1. I was in training to play arena football and when the league closed for the 09 season i had to focus on something that will keep my competitive mojo going. lets say football is in the rear view mirror and power lifting is my newest challenge.

-JM-
05-29-2009, 11:16 AM
I would add the 15 pounds to your next wave and move on. What have your other lifts been like? Similar situation?

This kind of thing can happen though. The weights will catch you up soon enough.

I dont do any more than double the reps for waves 1 or 2. If I am lucky enough to get them!!

djenkins76
05-29-2009, 11:25 AM
all my lifts are over 6 reps. nothing over 9 besides the dead lift. I have an idea why my lifts may be this strong. I could be that I'm resting alot more between days. The group i work out with had me running the typical westside bb workout for about 16 weeks.

rbtrout
05-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I'd prbably start with 370 next time.

geoffsherman
05-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Slow and steady wins the race. Some people do well with reps and some do well with maxes, just keep doing what you are doing.

jbrin0tk
05-29-2009, 04:31 PM
I've actually been going through the same thing with 5/3/1. I took 90% of my maxes, which were all pretty recent. DL max was done about 3 weeks before starting, same with squat, and my best bench prior to starting the program was 315. I'd tried 325 5 or 6 times in the 2 or so months leading up to it and couldn't get it past a 3-4 board height, so I felt like these maxes were pretty accurate.

I started the program and have had a 10-12 rep last sets with benching and deadlifting almost every week. I have been ultra conservative with upping the maxes, only 5lbs. for everything for each new wave. It's working pretty well for me this way. Last saturday I benched a 10lb. PR single after my 5/3/1 sets (could've had more, I believe), and today I pulled 505 after my 5/3/1 sets, a 30lb. PR. I'm just going to keep rolling with it and let the weight catch up to me.

I should note that I jacked my squat max down a good bit because I used knee wraps to set my last max prior to starting 5/3/1. Having said that, my squat is, I feel, getting stronger all the time. I don't plan on maxing on it any time soon because I lack the confidence of taking a near 500lbs. barbell out of the rack without a bunch of strong dudes around me, haha.

robchris
06-01-2009, 09:14 PM
djenkins,

That some impressive numbers on the DL w/ the amont of reps you're doing!

If you are planning on competing in powerlifting I suggest you add weight & lower your reps to triples, doubles and singles. If you plan on sticking w/ football then reps are fine, and are more suited for building mass.

Keep in mind, DL'ing can be hard on your CNS and recovery if you pull this intense every week.

djenkins76
06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Rob,

I most def want to do PL. I have this ability to turn my intensisty on and off. And for some reason my last set i get a huge adrenaline rush and i have been putting up some very impressive Rep PR's for pretty much all of my lifts. Wendlers program is wonderful, If your not familiar with it, the last set of the work out your suppose to go beyond the predetermined reps. I have seen myself not only become stronger the last 3 weeks but i have lost 6 pounds, but my strength is going up which i love. I have add alot more conditioning drills into my workouts also. Have been pushing and pulling my blazer 3 to 4 times aweek. Also i think the way the program is set up I have 5 to 6 days between training that muscle group again so I'm coming in to that workout fresher. I was running WSbb for 16 weeks before this and after week 11 or 12 I saw gains in everything but i felt i was not resting enough.(my training days were sun,tues,thurs, friday) so i started to stall a little bit, so that is when i bought Jim's book and made the switch and have pretty much fell in love with the format. If you don't own it i recommend buying it, its a great addition to a training library.

Bodyguard
06-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I try to attempt a new max every time I deadlift.