PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift rep question

Ryan Hale
05-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Lets say your doing 5 X 5 for deads.Do you re-set each rep and pull 5 singles,or do you pull 5 in a row off the floor? I've done it both ways myself.Some of our kids are getting sloppy in that 3-5 rep range,and wonder if it would better to have them do thier sets in singles.

Thanks in advance for the help.I appreciate it.

Ryan Hale

rbtrout
05-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I basically pause long enough just to re-grip and possibly reset my feet. I'd stick with 5X5 or 5X3 maybe.

Brad08
05-29-2009, 11:53 AM
There's a difference between resetting each rep, and pulling singles. Resetting means the bar hits the floor, comes to a complete stop, and you take a breath into your gut, fill it with air, reset your spine/hips to the proper position, and pull your next rep. To me, singles mean you do a rep, let go, stand up, and wait more than 3-5 seconds before your next rep.

IMHO they should always reset each rep, but they don't necessarily need to pull singles. Just be sure they're not bouncing the plates, not jerking their reps off the floor, and that they're setting their hips/back for EACH rep. Often what happens, the first rep looks good but each successive rep gets worse. The plates start bouncing, the back starts rounding, and the hips get higher and higher each rep.

BFGUITAR
05-29-2009, 12:08 PM
For set above 5 I do touch and go. Otherwise I setup after each rep.

Ryan Hale
05-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Exactly what I'm seeing Brad.Each rep looks a little worse than the previous one.Rep 1 looks great,than they get a little worse from there.
Thanks for the help guys.
I do have some kids that do re-set each and every rep.I like it better this way,just wanted to hear more thoughts on the subject.

BFGUITAR,how many reps are you doing on your deads? Do you do high rep deads at times?

Ryan Hale

BFGUITAR
05-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Right now I am doing westside so I'm not really deadlifting (doing SLDLs and such). But with past routines I never went above 5 for the most part. I threw in sets of 8 at times to change it up. I also saw how many times I could deadlift my bodyweight+10lbs... Got up to 45 and was about to puke haha. That was of course touch and go.

Travis Bell
05-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Off topic I guess, but why are you not deadlifting if you're doing Westside?

BFGUITAR
05-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Off topic I guess, but why are you not deadlifting if you're doing Westside?

I am just following what the strong guys at the PL gym tell me to do lol. Aside from SLDLs ive deadlifted once with bands as an ME lower workout in the past month and a bit.

Travis Bell
05-29-2009, 12:38 PM
I am just following what the strong guys at the PL gym tell me to do lol. Aside from SLDLs ive deadlifted once with bands as an ME lower workout in the past month and a bit.

I understand

And that's fine, probably best not to call it Westside though, because that's not Westside.

May have been at one point in time, but we have long evolved past that

BFGUITAR
05-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Any place I can read up on the new and improved/evolved Westside?

Travis Bell
05-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Ryan, sorry for the thread hijack.

BF, if you need further explaination, PM me. However, watch any of the recent videos that I have put out of Westside ME squat days. You'll notice they squat and pull on the same day, every week. Most times they pull twice a week. Speed pulls one day, heavy the other.

Hazerboy
05-29-2009, 12:48 PM
This.

There's a difference between resetting each rep, and pulling singles. Resetting means the bar hits the floor, comes to a complete stop, and you take a breath into your gut, fill it with air, reset your spine/hips to the proper position, and pull your next rep. To me, singles mean you do a rep, let go, stand up, and wait more than 3-5 seconds before your next rep.

IMHO they should always reset each rep, but they don't necessarily need to pull singles. Just be sure they're not bouncing the plates, not jerking their reps off the floor, and that they're setting their hips/back for EACH rep. Often what happens, the first rep looks good but each successive rep gets worse. The plates start bouncing, the back starts rounding, and the hips get higher and higher each rep.

For singles I usually rest at least a minute. I always reset for rep work.

Ryan Hale
05-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey no problem at all Travis.

Do you guys re-set your feet also,like in step away from the bar?Hazerboy you say you wait a minute,why so long?
I pull,let weight down,let grip go,stand up,then re-set and pull.Maybe 20-25 seconds between reps.

Ryan Hale

BigTallOx
05-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Lets say your doing 5 X 5 for deads.Do you re-set each rep and pull 5 singles,or do you pull 5 in a row off the floor?

I used to not reset and my form would go to crap getting worse and worse each rep like Brad08 describes. So now I reset, pause for just long enough to make sure my hips and upper body are in the right position ( or as close to "right" as I ever am, lol ) and pull again. I never move my feet though, and usually I just have to tighen my grip again, ie I don't have to move my hands, just tighten them.

Brian Hopper
05-29-2009, 02:05 PM
For set above 5 I do touch and go. Otherwise I setup after each rep.

Same here!!!

Ryan Bracewell
05-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Unless your doing a competition that allows touch and go I would advise against it.