PDA

View Full Version : 800 camber bar squat

Ron C
05-29-2009, 03:22 PM
I've posted this on a couple other boards. Actually felt pretty good. The bar tried to swing on me about half way up (like it always does!)

i2TaCewrayI

I hope the vid embeds properly.

Later,
Ron

* fixed

Ryan Bracewell
05-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Very nice ron. What part of houston are you in?

UHCougar05
05-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Very nice ron. What part of houston are you in?

Ryan, I think Ron is up on the NW Side.

Ryan Bracewell
05-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Ryan, I think Ron is up on the NW Side.

thanks, just saw noticed that on his website.

Ron, i am also wondering how you like that ny camber bar? I have been looking at getting their camber and bow bar(buffalo) for my gym but have not seen much feedback about them.

dynamo
05-29-2009, 04:55 PM
whats the benefit of a cambered bar like that?

Ryan Bracewell
05-29-2009, 05:42 PM
whats the benefit of a cambered bar like that?

It hits your body in a different way than the standard barbell squat, which can help strengthen your regular squat. I like to compare it to doing different levels of board pressing or using different width grips on bench.

Cmanuel
05-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Cambered bars are fun. We used them a lot for good mornings back home. Sucks not having one!

That's a nice squat though. Anyone know what the difference between a cambered bar and a spider bar is?

Clifford Gillmore
05-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Cambered bars are fun. We used them a lot for good mornings back home. Sucks not having one!

That's a nice squat though. Anyone know what the difference between a cambered bar and a spider bar is?

The spider bar has extra length at the top of bar, so you can rack it into a power rack - not just a mono lift.

Ron C
05-29-2009, 06:28 PM
thanks, just saw noticed that on his website.

Ron, i am also wondering how you like that ny camber bar? I have been looking at getting their camber and bow bar(buffalo) for my gym but have not seen much feedback about them.

So far so good with my bar. I got mine from Susan at Midwest Barbell. She's good people. I just got the bow (buffalo) bar from her. I'll be giving it a go tomorrow.

The only problems with the camber bar are:
1. no center knurl. I solved this with athletic tape.
2. it has a lot of whip in it. You have to be a little less explosive than you might like to be, b/c it not only swings back and forth, it whips up and down. It makes stabalization interesting, to say the least.

The camber bar is awesome. It takes some stress off the shoulder and places it squarely on the low back and hips.

Ron C
05-29-2009, 06:29 PM

The spider bar is a hybrid between a camber bar and a safety squat bar. I've mimicked this by putting a manta ray on my camber bar. This puts the weight way up on the top of the traps.

Cmanuel
05-29-2009, 06:57 PM
The spider bar has extra length at the top of bar, so you can rack it into a power rack - not just a mono lift.

Idont think this is right. This is the cambered bar we bought from Wiliams Strength in Columbia SC (they make all of EliteFTS equipment)
http://flexcart.com/members/elitefts/rackable-cambered.jpg

Its a rackable bar, not a spider bar.

i found a page on EFS detailing the spider bar. Kinda neat!
http://flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=182&pid=2928

Clifford Gillmore
05-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Idont think this is right. This is the cambered bar we bought from Wiliams Strength in Columbia SC (they make all of EliteFTS equipment)
http://flexcart.com/members/elitefts/rackable-cambered.jpg

Its a rackable bar, not a spider bar.

i found a page on EFS detailing the spider bar. Kinda neat!
http://flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=182&pid=2928

You are right! I was just thinking of the rackable cambered bar, i completely ignored the SS yoke haha.

Ben Moore
05-29-2009, 09:04 PM
So far so good with my bar. I got mine from Susan at Midwest Barbell. She's good people. I just got the bow (buffalo) bar from her. I'll be giving it a go tomorrow.

The only problems with the camber bar are:
1. no center knurl. I solved this with athletic tape.
2. it has a lot of whip in it. You have to be a little less explosive than you might like to be, b/c it not only swings back and forth, it whips up and down. It makes stabalization interesting, to say the least.

The camber bar is awesome. It takes some stress off the shoulder and places it squarely on the low back and hips.

I've heard that - we had our built by Alan at Pitbull Equipment and I'm pretty sure it could survive a nuclear blast should Korea get cute. Susan is good people though, and based here in KC!

Great squat man.

mastermonster
05-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Looking very strong big Ron!

Ron C
05-29-2009, 09:07 PM
I've heard that - we had our built by Alan at Pitbull Equipment and I'm pretty sure it could survive a nuclear blast should Korea get cute. Susan is good people though, and based here in KC!

Great squat man.

Thanks. I'm going to eventually replace it with the rackable camber bar from EFS, or someone else who makes a stiffer one. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with making a squat harder!! Or at least that's the excuse I use not to break down and buy another one!

Ryan Bracewell
05-30-2009, 09:36 AM
ben, do you have a picture of the bar Alan built you? Was the price going through him rather than just buying the rackable one from elite?