PDA

View Full Version : What do you eat for preworkout?

rkhan123
05-29-2009, 06:36 PM
What do you eat before lifting and when? Just curious.

ArjunDhir
05-29-2009, 08:50 PM
~30mins before the workout I just eat my lunch (or breakfast!).

My Normal Day:
7:20 - Wake Up
7:50 - Breakfast
11:20 - 2 Home Made Protein Bars+~750mlMilk for Snack
2:30 - Get home
2:45 - After making food, eat lunch.
~3:15 - Workout
4:15 - Shower
4:35 - Make Protein Shake (w/ Creatine, Banana, Oats, Milk, Olive Oil, PB)
6:30-8 - Eat Dinner

FYI, Lunch consists of a ham sandwich/eggs/pasta+chicken/...etc so yeah regular stuff, no special prework food.

Unreal
05-29-2009, 09:38 PM
1 cup oats + 1 scoop protein about an hour before.

rkhan123
05-29-2009, 10:41 PM
~30mins before the workout I just eat my lunch (or breakfast!).

My Normal Day:
7:20 - Wake Up
7:50 - Breakfast
11:20 - 2 Home Made Protein Bars+~750mlMilk for Snack
2:30 - Get home
2:45 - After making food, eat lunch.
~3:15 - Workout
4:15 - Shower
4:35 - Make Protein Shake (w/ Creatine, Banana, Oats, Milk, Olive Oil, PB)
6:30-8 - Eat Dinner

FYI, Lunch consists of a ham sandwich/eggs/pasta+chicken/...etc so yeah regular stuff, no special prework food.

Cool. Probably get a lot of energy for working out. Just saying, I've heard that its bad to consume a lot of fat after workouts and I think your pwo shake might have a lot of fat (olive oil and pb).

rag15
05-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Apparantly cooked lentils are one of the best pre-workout foods...
askmen .com/top_10/fitness/24_fitness_list.html

dumbbell
05-30-2009, 11:41 AM
A half hour before lifting I have an Opticen, creatine, and water shake. Immediately after workout, I'll have my Opticen with milk.

dumbbell
05-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Cool. Probably get a lot of energy for working out. Just saying, I've heard that its bad to consume a lot of fat after workouts and I think your pwo shake might have a lot of fat (olive oil and pb).

I haven't heard that before, but I don't do carbs and fat in the same meal. It's one or the other for me, personally. And I gotta have my carbs around my workouts.

Exponent
05-30-2009, 11:49 AM
I normally have an apple on the way to the gym and consume about 32 grams of protein in my shaker bottle during workout. I simply add the protein to water and use it as a workout drink.

that way, no rush to consume all the protein post w/o and my body is getting the protein it needs to recover during the workout and after.

As long as you dont mix with milk etc and keep it light, works great.

vdizenzo
05-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Usually 8-12 oz of chicken or beef with either rice or potatoes an hour before I train.

ArjunDhir
05-30-2009, 01:33 PM
I normally have an apple on the way to the gym and consume about 32 grams of protein in my shaker bottle during workout. I simply add the protein to water and use it as a workout drink.

that way, no rush to consume all the protein post w/o and my body is getting the protein it needs to recover during the workout and after.

As long as you dont mix with milk etc and keep it light, works great.

I haven't heard that before, but I don't do carbs and fat in the same meal. It's one or the other for me, personally. And I gotta have my carbs around my workouts.

These I can vouch for. I have read that apple has more caffeine then a cup of coffee, so it'll keep you going the workouts. Whenever I eat some carbs before a workout (pasta..etc) I find I have a lot of energy and strength during it. Carbs are easily digested, I beleive and are great for intensive workouts.

---
Can anyone confirm the "I've heard that its bad to consume a lot of fat after workouts and I think your pwo shake might have a lot of fat (olive oil and pb)." ?

tom183
05-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Usually 8-12 oz of chicken or beef with either rice or potatoes an hour before I train.

Very similar for me. If i still feel a bit flat (this usually only happens when im forced to workout at a different time of day than im used to) ill have a banana and a piece of bread with honey 10 mins pre workout.

rkhan123
05-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Apparantly cooked lentils are one of the best pre-workout foods...
askmen .com/top_10/fitness/24_fitness_list.html

Cool. I'm pakistani and we love lentils! Yummy and a good source of protein and fiber.

rkhan123
05-30-2009, 09:02 PM
A half hour before lifting I have an Opticen, creatine, and water shake. Immediately after workout, I'll have my Opticen with milk.

I'm a newbie but I've heard its bad to drink milk pwo because of the casein.

rkhan123
05-30-2009, 09:07 PM
These I can vouch for. I have read that apple has more caffeine then a cup of coffee, so it'll keep you going the workouts. Whenever I eat some carbs before a workout (pasta..etc) I find I have a lot of energy and strength during it. Carbs are easily digested, I beleive and are great for intensive workouts.

---
Can anyone confirm the "I've heard that its bad to consume a lot of fat after workouts and I think your pwo shake might have a lot of fat (olive oil and pb)." ?

Sorry if I caused any confusion. Do a little more research cause I'm a newbie. I've just read its bad to consume fats pwo because it digests slowly and you want fast digesting protein and carbs pwo. From what I've read, it would be better to have that kind of shake before bed as long as it fits in your calorie intake. Apples have caffeine!!!!!!!!:omg:

ArjunDhir
05-30-2009, 09:37 PM
A bit of a stupid article (the writer at least) but I did a google search, and here`s what came up..Apparently apples have no caffeine but a different more efficent energy subsistute.

You know what they say, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away..." Maybe the old saying should go "An apple a day is better than a cup of coffee today!" It's true! Although apples do not have caffeine, they do have the glucose that fuels your brain and gives you energy. Legitimate natural energy! Talk about a pick-me-up!

Glucose:Brain::Gasoline:Car

(Glucose is to brain what gasoline is to car.)

This analogy brings back painful memories of the SATs! I wish I ate more apples then! Had I known of the goodness of apples sooner I would've saved tens of, gulp, maybe hundreds of dollars from buying so much darn coffee!
http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-Apples-Equivalent-to-Caffeine?-Nope,-Theyre-Better!&id=958085

rkhan123
05-30-2009, 09:53 PM
A bit of a stupid article (the writer at least) but I did a google search, and here`s what came up..Apparently apples have no caffeine but a different more efficent energy subsistute.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-Apples-Equivalent-to-Caffeine?-Nope,-Theyre-Better!&id=958085

Cool. thanks for the article. As they say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Here are a couple sites about pwo nutrition. They might help.
http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mohr114.htm
http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/post-workout-nutrition.html

skinnywilly
05-31-2009, 03:41 PM

Is this true? I hate choking down my protein with water.

rkhan123
05-31-2009, 04:54 PM

Well. I've exactly heard both sides. Some people say you don't want casein pwo while some say milk provides more cals and protein. I don't think it makes too much difference.

icnelly
05-31-2009, 05:50 PM
sweet potatoes and a whey shake 60-90 minutes before. Don't have other options for protein powder where I'm living, so it's whey or nothing.

Skalami
06-03-2009, 07:14 PM
made some of my biggest gains working out first thing in the morning on just a cup of coffee then having a gym-made protein shake on the way to work and a chicken breast an hour later.

mcdonough9395
06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
1 scoop Nitrean with 1/2 cup oats and sometimes a banana about 20 minutes before workout.

brihead301
06-04-2009, 07:22 AM
I just eat 3 eggs and cheese omelette pre-WO.

samadhi_smiles
06-04-2009, 08:10 AM
I make a shake of 100g dextrose and 100g whey protein and start sipping that before, during and after the workout. Also drink water during the workout cause its satisfying to quench thirst/wash chalk dust out of mouth (lmao).

Skalami
06-04-2009, 11:27 AM
How is that working for you Samadhi? ive thought of downing carbs and protein as im working out into after working out but never done it. Is it just one big drink?

samadhi_smiles
06-04-2009, 02:12 PM
its working out very nicely. I've never had such a good insulin reaction after working out before. I generally don't consume simple sugars, but now have started just around lifting time. Its GREAT stuff.

Yeah I just mix it in a half gallon milk jug and take a couple slugs of it every once in awhile between lifts (as long as you drink it slow it doesn't cramp you up or anything).

Skalami
06-05-2009, 05:25 AM
you know ive always thought that was a good idea, especially if you sip it throughout and then down the last final say..30-60% at the end of the workout because even if you drink your Post Workout drink 1 min after working out it still has to digest. I know thats a small thing and its meant to digest quickly but it just seems as long as your not digestinga huge amount during workout then right as you finish up would be the best thing.

I personally take a little jug with me with a cup of apple juice and protein powder and down that, sometimes i'll do it on my last few sets.

Whats in the shake, just sugar and protein?

Mr. Mustard
06-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread but I was reading the intense-workout.com article that rkhan posted. I shouldn't be eating eggs and toast after a workout? I workout first thing in the morning and when I get home I have a 50g whey protein shake, 1 whole egg and a cup of egg whites and 2 slices of weight watchers whole wheat. Then I get ready to go to work. Should I not be doing that?

VikingWarlord
06-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I eat nothing preworkout. Maybe a handful of berries or almonds if I'm really feeling it but I generally train empty.

Reko
06-05-2009, 11:57 AM
If I train in the morning, peanuts and gatorade. If I train at night, its whatever I eat for lunch/dinner/snack. I don't think anythign about it, except that I try to make sure I have a medium full stomach when lifting. Not empty, not full, but somewhere in between.

Reko
06-05-2009, 12:02 PM

No. Milk it up if you want.

Mercuryblade
06-05-2009, 04:36 PM
A protein shake a couple hours before, and then white rice about 20 minutes before.

The Bran Man
06-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Two pieces of all wheat bread, a banana and 1 nitor or 1 vivran 30-40 minutes before workout and I'm good to go.

scumbag
06-28-2009, 06:27 PM
So no milk pwo...does this include soy milk as well?

Holto
06-29-2009, 03:28 PM
its working out very nicely. I've never had such a good insulin reaction after working out before. I generally don't consume simple sugars, but now have started just around lifting time. Its GREAT stuff.

Yeah I just mix it in a half gallon milk jug and take a couple slugs of it every once in awhile between lifts (as long as you drink it slow it doesn't cramp you up or anything).

Once you start lifting the presence of adrenaline blunts the insulin response. I used to start my shake after my first heavy set. It's amazing at helping you maintain intensity.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I was reading the intense-workout.com article that rkhan posted. I shouldn't be eating eggs and toast after a workout? I workout first thing in the morning and when I get home I have a 50g whey protein shake, 1 whole egg and a cup of egg whites and 2 slices of weight watchers whole wheat. Then I get ready to go to work. Should I not be doing that?

The ONLY thing that matters pre/post/during is that the nutrients are there when your body needs them. The whole no fat, no casein thing is logical on paper but doesn't amount to anything.

Mr. Mustard, in your case, you absolutely need to eat.

ZenMonkey
06-29-2009, 03:59 PM
1/2c Oats
1 scoop Opticen (chocolate)
2tbsp Peantu Butter

RESULTS (during and before WO)

Cirino83
06-30-2009, 11:44 AM
If I train in the morning, peanuts and gatorade. If I train at night, its whatever I eat for lunch/dinner/snack. I don't think anythign about it, except that I try to make sure I have a medium full stomach when lifting. Not empty, not full, but somewhere in between.

same here. I lift about an hour after supper (~730) but sometimes if I'm feeling saucy I'll have a scoop of whey right after I eat too.

geoffgarcia
07-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Pre-workout I take a 1/2 portion of my post workout shake roughly 20 minutes before arriving at the gym.

The pre-workout portion when I'm bulking is roughly 40g of carbs and 25 of protein and a minimal amount of fat <3g. For cutting I reduce the carbs and boost the protein.

I find eating solids within an hour of going to the gym makes my workouts sluggish and less productive.

Xellarz
07-11-2009, 04:58 PM
So no milk pwo...does this include soy milk as well?

Milk it up if you want. - Reko...in this thread...

Soy sucks.

Big Jay
07-11-2009, 06:22 PM
not bad. just not optiminal as your only protein source after a workout... its a slow digesting protein and you want protein going to your muscles as quick as possible... mix it with whey and you're sorted.