PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift critique *video*

gatorman2k6
05-29-2009, 10:50 PM
To keep with the trend of deadlift videos getting posted, I thought I would post my video. I loved the feedback on my squats and I feel that I need it even more with deadlifts. So rip it apart please.

-yE-erjkkvw

*BTW, this was my first time pulling in my adidas and I liked the raised heel, but I mainly liked having a stable shoe to pull in.*

MarcusWild
05-29-2009, 11:31 PM
I think you could get your hips lower and your chest up more. It'll put you in a better position especially to lockout weights. It's hard to tell form on reps though. It's easier when it's a weight closer to your max.

ChickenLegs83
05-30-2009, 02:02 AM
I think you could get your hips lower and your chest up more. It'll put you in a better position especially to lockout weights. It's hard to tell form on reps though. It's easier when it's a weight closer to your max.

I agree.

It does look like rack/lockout work would do you well also.

The Sun
05-30-2009, 03:59 AM
you're not setting up correctly. squeeze your chest up and maintain the arch during the pull, your back is loose.

slashkills
05-30-2009, 08:04 AM

This

gatorman2k6
05-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I don't have a rack at home, so this weekend I will build blocks to pull off. After seeing supertraining's vids, I had wanted to try these anyways. I'd like to get chains/bands too, but I can't really set up bands and I'm pretty sure chains are quite expensive and my parents already think I am crazy. Keep the suggestions coming, because I am all ears.

Sean S
05-30-2009, 09:31 AM
It doesn't look like you even tried very hard to get an arch in your lower back. You started the set with your hips high and no arch and it seemed to just get worse as the set goes on.
Arch your back and pick your chest up and try to hold that position as you pull. I also don't like pulling in shoes with an elevated heel since they tend to dump everything forward. Most people seem to do better with a flat soled shoe.

gatorman2k6
05-30-2009, 09:42 AM
It doesn't look like you even tried very hard to get an arch in your lower back. You started the set with your hips high and no arch and it seemed to just get worse as the set goes on.
Arch your back and pick your chest up and try to hold that position as you pull. I also don't like pulling in shoes with an elevated heel since they tend to dump everything forward. Most people seem to do better with a flat soled shoe.

Thanks, I'm really going to focus on arching more. I also understand what you say about the shoes, but I don't have any chucks, so these are the only hard soled shoes I have. I have pulled barefoot before, but it felt weird and if I pull in the room that I took the vid in, it is slick and I'm afraid I would slip when trying to pull.

Any tips on how to arch/lower hips more without losing it before the pull? I'm all ears for something I could practice before next Friday's session.

gatorman2k6
05-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Any other suggestions?

ChickenLegs83
05-30-2009, 11:52 PM
Any other suggestions?

Why do you train @home?

Going to a gym will help you have an environment to work on your weaknesses effectively.

No flame intended. :)

gatorman2k6
05-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Why do you train @home?

Going to a gym will help you have an environment to work on your weaknesses effectively.

No flame intended. :)

No flame taken. I train at home because the summer after my freshman year I got a bench and 300lbs of weight to make it easier to workout at home. Now I have gotten more stuff and some more weight. I can't use chalk at the YMCA I work at, so I pull at home. When I'm at school, I work out with my roommates in the school's gym. I know I don't have everything at my house, but I feel like I have most of the stuff I need to work with while at home. And, this workout was done at 10pm and besides 24hr gyms, I don't know many gyms that stay open that late. Right now, I squat at the YMCA and am considering benching there since it will be easier for me to get a spot.

ChickenLegs83
05-31-2009, 12:13 AM
No flame taken. I train at home because the summer after my freshman year I got a bench and 300lbs of weight to make it easier to workout at home. Now I have gotten more stuff and some more weight. I can't use chalk at the YMCA I work at, so I pull at home. When I'm at school, I work out with my roommates in the school's gym. I know I don't have everything at my house, but I feel like I have most of the stuff I need to work with while at home. And, this workout was done at 10pm and besides 24hr gyms, I don't know many gyms that stay open that late. Right now, I squat at the YMCA and am considering benching there since it will be easier for me to get a spot.

What are the other gyms in your area?

The gym I go to (World Gym) is 45 minutes to an hour away from where I live, but I go there because it has the equipment environment I need.

If you have the $ to go to a gym a little farther away, I recommend doing so.

This last semester I took 2 Masters classes, worked full-time, commuted and trained (but that's about all I did).

Are there any hardcore/powerlifting gyms in a hours radius of your place?

ChickenLegs83
05-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Check this (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=223&pid=1008) out as an alternative to chalk.

Since you are open to criticism and appear to take it well, I think you should also look to up your intensity.

Deadlifting is the most primal movement in the gym.

Weight sits on ground, weight is picked up.

You should attack that *****ing bar like it banged your girlfriend and texted the video to all your buddies.

Honestly, I think you could easily get 15 reps with that weight if you improve your form a bit and pretend you are Chuck V. pulling for a world title!

gatorman2k6
05-31-2009, 12:30 AM
What are the other gyms in your area?

The gym I go to (World Gym) is 45 minutes to an hour away from where I live, but I go there because it has the equipment environment I need.

If you have the $ to go to a gym a little farther away, I recommend doing so.

This last semester I took 2 Masters classes, worked full-time, commuted and trained (but that's about all I did).

Are there any hardcore/powerlifting gyms in a hours radius of your place?

I'm not sure of any powerlifting gyms. I've checked out plwatch, but am not familiar with any of them, but I will check again. I guess my biggest thing is wishing I had even one other person to lift with, which is what I have at school.

Check this (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=223&pid=1008) out as an alternative to chalk.

Since you are open to criticism and appear to take it well, I think you should also look to up your intensity.

Deadlifting is the most primal movement in the gym.

Weight sits on ground, weight is picked up.

You should attack that *****ing bar like it banged your girlfriend and texted the video to all your buddies.

Honestly, I think you could easily get 15 reps with that weight if you improve your form a bit and pretend you are Chuck V. pulling for a world title!

Yeah, I knew about that liquid chalk. Before this week's pulling, I had been using this chalk cream that I got from the tennis section of a store. I appreciate all the help to and I feel that I can take criticism well (if it comes off like I can't, it's the internet, not me). Besides the form work, I'll really focus on getting more pumped too. I try my hardest, but this was the latest I had lifted in a long time. Thanks for all the advice though because it is much appreciated.

Travis Bell
05-31-2009, 05:41 AM
As you go longer in the set, your form kinda breaks down

You start off pretty good, dropping your hips, pushing them forward as you come up, but as the set goes on you need to work on remembering to keep dropping your hips and pushing them forward sooner

Not too bad though

I have to agree on the gym membership comments though, get one. Hard to get too pumped when you're worried about damaging your floor in your parents house

gatorman2k6
05-31-2009, 09:27 AM
As you go longer in the set, your form kinda breaks down

You start off pretty good, dropping your hips, pushing them forward as you come up, but as the set goes on you need to work on remembering to keep dropping your hips and pushing them forward sooner

Not too bad though

I have to agree on the gym membership comments though, get one. Hard to get too pumped when you're worried about damaging your floor in your parents house

Thanks Travis! I'll work on dropping my hips and pushing them forward for the whole set. I'm going to try and work on getting a video of a heavier weight so there won't be as many reps. I'll try to work on getting the gym membership but it's unlikely since I have an unpaid internship this summer. I am going to get those rubber like mats to put on the floor in my basement so that slamming weights won't be a problem anymore.

slashkills
05-31-2009, 09:32 AM
I got some old carpet and folded it over a couple times. It is enough to protect my floor.

gatorman2k6
05-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Hmm, I actually might have a big enough carpet to throw down there and pull on. I'll have to see.

Cmanuel
05-31-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd comment but its simply echoing what everyone said. If you were able to find a serious gym on PL watch with serious people, its worth the money and drive. You will feed off of them and your workouts will be so much better. I just moved to a completly new place and train by myself, while i'm still progressing I miss having old timers giving me tips and being there to motivate me.

Brian C
05-31-2009, 11:03 AM

HAHA good stuff

gatorman2k6
05-31-2009, 11:51 AM
I appreciate all the advice guys. Believe me it won't go to waste. This is why I am so glad I found this website. At the end of August last year, my deadlift max was 275, about 2 months ago, I got 365lbs. I don't know if I would have done it without this site. Thanks again.

MarcusWild
05-31-2009, 12:35 PM
If you're worried about the floor, pickup some horse stall mats. They are $35-45 depending on where you get them. Each one is 4'x6' and 3/4" thick. You'd only need two. They are half the price and twice the thickness of gym mats.

Kiaran
05-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Good vid, man. Stop bending your elbows before liftoff. It's a great way to tear something. Hips look tight. Checkout this page for some good ideas on dynamic stretching/warmup to improve your hip flexibility. There are some other good links within the site as well. This is where I would begin to improve my arch.

http://stronglifts.com/7-dynamic-stretches-to-improve-your-hip-mobility/

gatorman2k6
05-31-2009, 04:03 PM
If you're worried about the floor, pickup some horse stall mats. They are $35-45 depending on where you get them. Each one is 4'x6' and 3/4" thick. You'd only need two. They are half the price and twice the thickness of gym mats.

I'm not too worried about the floor. I'll see if I can get these horse stall mats. I think I know of a place about 45min away that sells them, so I'll check it out next weekend.

Good vid, man. Stop bending your elbows before liftoff. It's a great way to tear something. Hips look tight. Checkout this page for some good ideas on dynamic stretching/warmup to improve your hip flexibility. There are some other good links within the site as well. This is where I would begin to improve my arch.

http://stronglifts.com/7-dynamic-stretches-to-improve-your-hip-mobility/

Thanks for the tips and link, I'll check it out. Yeah, I guess I don't even realize that I bend my elbows before pulling which is why I posted the video so I'll work on that. Thanks for the tips.

PWR
05-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Try to get alittle more leg drive in and be carefull coming back down, it looks like almost all back when you go down. You hips dont dont drop much and your back rounds out some too...

mastermonster
06-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Someone may have commented on this already. I just skimmed through quickly. But the heeled shoe may be why you have the obvious slowdown in bar movement in the lockout phase. The heel pitches you forward at the same time you're trying to get the shoulders and upper body back to the lockout position so you're fighting 2 opposing forces at the same time. If you like some stability in a shoe but still want to get the heels as low as possible (ideally should be) try pulling in Chucks. They are totally flat and close to the floor and still give some support and stability. Given your body lengths your form is not bad. There is a little 'butt' lead before your legs start to drive but it isn't much and should be easy to fix. The bar speed off the floor looks good. I think the flatter shoes would let you keep better speed throughout the pull all the way to finish. You'll probably notice the heels pitching you forward more as you do heavier sets of 1 to 3 or so. Very nice vid. Hope this helps!

gatorman2k6
06-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Someone may have commented on this already. I just skimmed through quickly. But the heeled shoe may be why you have the obvious slowdown in bar movement in the lockout phase. The heel pitches you forward at the same time you're trying to get the shoulders and upper body back to the lockout position so you're fighting 2 opposing forces at the same time. If you like some stability in a shoe but still want to get the heels as low as possible (ideally should be) try pulling in Chucks. They are totally flat and close to the floor and still give some support and stability. Given your body lengths your form is not bad. There is a little 'butt' lead before your legs start to drive but it isn't much and should be easy to fix. The bar speed off the floor looks good. I think the flatter shoes would let you keep better speed throughout the pull all the way to finish. You'll probably notice the heels pitching you forward more as you do heavier sets of 1 to 3 or so. Very nice vid. Hope this helps!

Thanks! Yeah, I think I'm going to go back to pulling barefoot. I should be getting stall mats this weekend, so I know I won't slip on them and that will allow me to be flat and stable. I'll get another video and work on the other things people have told me. I appreciate everyone's help, it won't go to waste!

getting there
06-02-2009, 08:55 AM

Laughed out loud when I read that one. :) Awesome