PDA

View Full Version : stuck at 380lb squat

BIG_BEAR
05-30-2009, 07:49 AM
i have been using the westside formula (which i love) for the last 14 months, and have seen my squat max go up pretty steadly, along with my bench, and deadlift. however, for the last 4 months, my squat has leveled off, and i cant seem to get it to continue climbing like it once did.
so i did some surfing on the web and found a workout that does the squat three times a week. Do you guys think that is too much? I almost think that it would overwork my muscles, but am willing to do it if it will help.
the workout goes like this
MONDAY--10 fast sets of 2 at light wieght
WEDNESDAY--5 heavy sets, 80%
FRIDAY--your choice. 5 sets of something, as long as its squatting...

slashkills
05-30-2009, 08:38 AM
What did your average ME squat workout look like in the past? Maybe it stalled because of a weakness you were not addressing. When is the last time you took a deload?

Clifford Gillmore
05-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Well, do you rotate your exercises? Do you cycle your DE work? Are you getting stronger on your assistance exercises?

Brian Hopper
05-30-2009, 09:23 PM
You should let us know what your training routine is like right now before you go any further.

BIG_BEAR
05-31-2009, 09:22 AM
I guess i could do a better job of rotating, now that i think of it. I have been doing the standard dyn day on mondays with ten sets of 2 with short rest in between, and a max effort day on friday. i have been doing various good mornings, squats, box squats, and deads on max day. i dont actually max out on something every time, but i do enough wieght where i can barely get 5 reps in, if that... im starting to think maybe i need to just take a week off. let the muscles relax a little. i think its been about ten weeks since i have taken any time away. that may be the ticket. im going to give it a try this week and just do cardio and ab work till next sunday.

barbell01
05-31-2009, 10:31 AM
if your not maxing out then you dont have an ME day! powerlifting isn't about working up to something that you can do about 5 times, because that's what feels good!

samadhi_smiles
05-31-2009, 10:32 AM
do you ever box squat. I was stuck and started box squatting and after 3-4 weeks of doing only box squats I went back to regular squats. Holy **** I was able to do more than my old max and I hadn't even been doing regular squats for a month!