PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Back Squat- WestSide Style?

ZenMonkey
05-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Is there any reason one could not use WestSide/Conjugate method for a high bar back squat... or a front squat?

MNRob
05-30-2009, 02:29 PM
WS?

my blonde is showing. :clown:

ZenMonkey
05-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Sorry, should have been more clear. Edited :)

MNRob
05-30-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm not the brightest spark in the motor, but I don't see why not.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/conjugate-method.htm

If I understand what is meant by conjugate method, you are simply using different "movements" to increase strength for a single movement (squats).

ZenMonkey
05-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes, and DE work. That may be tough on a front squat but accessory work might be ok.

I guess I should have said what Im doing. Im training to compete in weightlifting and ned to get my front squat up. I guess I am looking for something to get that up fast(er). I havent exhausted linear gains yet, as I am coming off of an injury but before I was injured I was trying to get past a plateau at about 210lbs (front squat) and will be there soon again.

Travis Bell
05-30-2009, 02:47 PM
What is your goal?

Are you trying to help Oly lifting?

Hazerboy
05-30-2009, 02:47 PM
somewhere on the internet there is an article by Loui that says how he would train an olympic weightlifter. He basically says that he would still use the conjugate method, with ME/DE days, so yes I would say that this would work fine, as long as you're choosing the right ME exercises.

ZenMonkey
05-30-2009, 02:51 PM
I think I need some help choosing some of the exercises. Would you guys help me figure out a list?

Sensei
05-30-2009, 02:53 PM
What is your front squat at now?

MNRob
05-30-2009, 02:55 PM
I had some good luck with getting my front squat up fairly quickly by alternating from back to front squats on ME days and working up to heavy singles, doubles and triples on the front squats.

ZenMonkey
05-30-2009, 03:00 PM
What is your front squat at now?

I dont know yet, I work in reps of 3. My working sets are at 145 x 4x3 but that is easy for me and I was just going to follow the linear gains up until I plateaued again. I could probably do working sets at 185-190lbs.

I had some good luck with getting my front squat up fairly quickly by alternating from back to front squats on ME days and working up to heavy singles, doubles and triples on the front squats.

Thats a good idea too.

MNRob
05-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Another thing to consider. Although front squats are quad dominant, you still use your glutes and hams. Working in some RDL/SLDL or even dimmels could help, along with lunges and variations there of.

ZenMonkey
05-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Yea, I do RDLs religiously as they mimic the 2nd pull. I guess I could train that with ME/DE. But I know my only focus now is getting the front squat up. Id really like to do it in the rep range of 3. Would I still do DE for 2 reps? 6?

Maybe I should just worry about this when it happens, maybe I just need to try different progressions and be more patient with it. I think Ill try some DE front squats on Monday and see how those feel.

Sensei
05-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Yes, you could do an ME and DE workout/week. Or you could just do a heavy-medium-light rotation. Or just stick w. a straight 5x5 at this point for a while. It doesn't have to be complicated for where it's at now Zen.

ZenMonkey
05-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Yes, you could do an ME and DE workout/week. Or you could just do a heavy-medium-light rotation. Or just stick w. a straight 5x5 at this point for a while. It doesn't have to be complicated for where it's at now Zen.

I was using a heavy/light/med rotation and it became too much for me to handle and I stopped progressing. You're right though, simple is good. (not to say westside is complicated)

MarcusWild
05-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes, it can be done. You'd just do slightly different ME movements and different accessory lifts. The whole essence of Westside/conjugate training is to work your weaknesses. Do you know what your weakness is on a front squat?

See what you can find on Travis Mash. There was a period where he was training for olympic lifting and using a lot of Westside principles to do it. There's videos on YouTube where he's doing olympic movements with bands, chains, etc.

Sensei
05-30-2009, 07:50 PM
I was using a heavy/light/med rotation and it became too much for me to handle and I stopped progressing. You're right though, simple is good. (not to say westside is complicated)Why did it become too much? Were you doing three sessions/week? Did you try doing 5x/2 weeks or 4x/2 weeks?