PDA

View Full Version : No one ever got anywhere being a pussy.

ChickenLegs83
05-31-2009, 12:23 AM
So, this is my new mantra.

I thought of it today when I was pulling my 3rd trip with the sled.

My lower back was super-pumped from my DE SQ/DL workout and I started to think maybe I should call it @3 trips.

Then my badass angel appeared on my shoulder and said: "No one ever got anywhere being a pussy."

That said, I pulled 3 more trips even faster than the first 3 and walked out of the gym a little taller.

Do you guys have any mantras or phrases you repeat when it's getting nasty in the gym and you need a little more inspiration?

MarcusWild
05-31-2009, 12:27 AM
I have a knack for coming up with stupid or difficult exercises. Our gym is going to have a sign that says, "Do something stupid today." It's kind of a reminder to never stop looking for new ways to get stronger. Also, if you really, really suck at something then you need to do it more.

Fenrir
05-31-2009, 04:47 AM
I found the fact that I was competing for oly lifting enough to motivate me for big lifts, (nobody likes to lose). Plus a good song or the odd motivational quote.

I had a training partner that psyched himself up for that last rep on each set by saying "easy". Worked for him i guess.

mikesbench
05-31-2009, 06:46 AM
I don't have any one thing in particular. But I generally use some sarcastic negative self talk. Stuff like; I can't beleive I'm still such a weak little bitch. Or recently if something hurts like my hip did for a while I'll just announce to the rest of the gym that "that's what I get for being such a pussy".

BFGUITAR
05-31-2009, 08:56 AM
This one guy I work out with has a really nerdy voice and before he benches he always says "Toughen up buttercup!". Lol I thought it was funny.

Sensei
05-31-2009, 09:10 AM
I don't think much when I'm training. Cues are always simple reminders of small things that might need focus. They are always affirmative statements like "Chest out!", not "Don't do..." statements.

If I am getting pumped up for a difficult lift, I am not thinking anything in particular, just getting focused and in (something like) a slightly irritated state of mind.

For most things - if I am very focused, I hate to be interrupted and talk very little. Some people, including my wife, think I'm in a "bad-mood" when I'm training or at work - they don't get it.

BFGUITAR
05-31-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't think much when I'm training. Cues are always simple reminders of small things that might need focus. They are always affirmative statements like "Chest out!", not "Don't do..." statements.

If I am getting pumped up for a difficult lift, I am not thinking anything in particular, just getting focused and in (something like) a slightly irritated state of mind.

For most things - if I am very focused, I hate to be interrupted and talk very little. Some people, including my wife, think I'm in a "bad-mood" when I'm training or at work - they don't get it.

Ha I can relate to that last part. When I play classical music I am very focused. If someone knocks on my door I don't answer. If someone tries to talk to me, I don't reply. If someone persists, I tell them to leave me alone.

Reko
05-31-2009, 01:24 PM

Lol, i am the exact opposite. I get real serious about 5-10 seconds before the actual lift, and then for a few seconds after when i unwind and catch my breath and stuff. Other than that there is much talk and shenanagins in between.

vdizenzo
05-31-2009, 01:35 PM
I usually mumble my goal # for my next meet.

BigTallOx
05-31-2009, 02:05 PM

I'm exactly the same way.

JK1
05-31-2009, 02:58 PM
I usually mumble my goal # for my next meet.

I do the exact same thing... .that an I've been told I'll sometimes say some sort of a prayer involving "God, strength, and lets go pussy" but I honestly don't know what i'm thinking. I'm trying to get my head clear. You think too much and you'll miss a big lift. Get focused and go with it....

At a meet, I've got my wife to knock a little power into me before I step up on the platform. It generally works pretty well. I'm just glad I can take a head shot.

WILD BILL
05-31-2009, 03:01 PM
on my last attempts I always mumble "I wont back down, no matter what I wont back down"

Jonah
05-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Line we used to use in college, "There's no pride in being king of the dip****s."

On days when things really suck I just think "It's been the worst day since yesterday." Cheers me right up.

robchris
05-31-2009, 07:53 PM
legs83,

"Yesterday ended last night" (Cyrus Curtis)

Never look back, always forward! Always seek self improvment.

We cant change the past but we can influence the future.

I use these to get me going when I need a lil' boost...:thumbup:

mikesbench
06-01-2009, 05:33 AM
If we're talking about right before a big lift, I get very focused and usually just yell "come on" or "get this" real quick to myself before setting up.

Athos
06-01-2009, 07:58 AM
I think about how good it is going to feel when I break a record and then see the weight as an opponent trying to prevent me from getting what I want. I remove all reservations about how heavy it is and go to work on making the lift.

patos
06-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Sometimes I will let out a "600 squat!", "**** them mother****ers", "Oh Yeah" or "I ain't no damnburger." But sometimes I catch myself saying that at any time any where, which has given me a few funny looks.

I say that stuff because I'm a ****** really. I don't do anything to concentrate, I think of nothing and everything.