PDA

View Full Version : A different line of thinking

BFGUITAR
05-31-2009, 03:49 PM
I just worked out today with Harry McDonald and another guy named Mike (both strong guys). I was doing speed bench with bands and then did some CGBP for reps. I asked Mike and Harry what their thoughts on bands and CGBP were. Mike was not a fan of bands much and said he never does CGBP (At 55 he has a 500+ bench). I asked him what he does for triceps and he says just board presses and other accessory stuff, never CGBP. I asked him why and his reasoning was simply to keep the motion that he normally benches with (grip width and such). He believes that one should practice bench with the grip that one will use in competition so strengthen it as much as possible and make a comfortable groove. It makes sense to me and am thinking of ditching CGBP and doing board presses with my bench grip as my tricep work (with skull crushers and pull downs...). One thing I really need to do is get my bench groove going. What do you guys think?

Harry was different. He said hes done CGBP in his training but not much. Only until 1-2 months ago has he started using boards despite at one point in his life benching 600lbs completely raw. It was only a month ago that he put a bench shirt on for his first time (I was there, it was funny to see him try to bring the weight to his chest when working in the shirt lol).

I've learned that there are many many ways to get strong, and I only know a few of them. I urge anyone who isn't lifting with experienced guys to go do it.

JK1
05-31-2009, 04:27 PM
I personally think you can tear your shoulders up with close grip bench presses. JM presses are a much better exercise.

I'd vary the grips on my board work a bit, dont get locked into the only grip you use being your competition grip.

slashkills
05-31-2009, 05:24 PM
I wouldnt only use your competition grip. I read an article somewhere and it said you can stall using only one grip. I know my bench PRs slowed down and then i added in some dif grips and my bench started going up again.

Sensei
05-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Exercise selection is really one of those things that you're going to get a lot of different opinions about. People get all worked up about this exercise or that.

A lot of things to consider, but it usually just boils down to individual preferences and individual needs. A lot of great benchers have used CGBP in their training extensively, some have not. If it's screwing up your groove, then it's probably not the exercise for you... right now - but, that doesn't mean it never will be that missing piece of the puzzle at some point down the road.

BFGUITAR
05-31-2009, 08:34 PM
Exercise selection is really one of those things that you're going to get a lot of different opinions about. People get all worked up about this exercise or that.

A lot of things to consider, but it usually just boils down to individual preferences and individual needs. A lot of great benchers have used CGBP in their training extensively, some have not. If it's screwing up your groove, then it's probably not the exercise for you... right now - but, that doesn't mean it never will be that missing piece of the puzzle at some point down the road.

Yeh this is my line of thinking. I haven't even established a real groove for benching yet so I think I need to concentrate on that.

vdizenzo
06-01-2009, 06:01 AM
My lockout strength is improving nicely now that I vary my grip on tricep exercises. Mind you, my close grip is pinkies touching the rings. I am only about an inch closer in for barbell extensions and JM's.

Rob Luyando
06-01-2009, 07:21 AM
My close grip is one hand width in from my competion grip. If I go any closer my shoulders scream at me.

Pete22
06-01-2009, 08:03 AM
I vary my grips on DE day using index on smooth, thumbs from smooth, and pinkies on rings. I need to start varying my grips on ME days too, as it's mostly just thumbs from smooth grip now.

sayagain
06-01-2009, 09:43 AM
I read something from Matt Wenning once where he said that he never used his competition grip for ME work because he didn't want to train it to be slow or use poor form as it sometimes can be when you are grinding out a rep. Instead he only trains his comp grip for speed and with good form. With this in mind I try to use a different grip for all of my ME work, but I do throw in competition grip flat benches every 5-6 weeks to see where I'm at and to make sure I'm still making progress on the lift that counts. So to get back to the original question, I don't see a problem with throwing in close grip work, but there are definitely different interpretations of what is close. To me, thumbs from the smooth is my close grip.