PDA

View Full Version : Max bench question/ singles vs 2s and 3s ?

NickAus
05-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi

How often do you guys (Paul, Rob, Travis and Vinny) do doubles and triples in place of max singles on max bench day?

At the moment I almost always do singles on whatever movement I'm maxing on that day.

Thank you very much.

mikesbench
06-01-2009, 05:44 AM
Nick,
I'm not Paul, Rob, Travis or Vinny; but I have a decent bench and have been benching for a while. For my training I rarely go to 2's or 3's although sometimes the singles I do may not be 100+%, or a PR attempt, especially when talking about shirt work.

To me you need to just keep in mind what you are trying to accomplish with a training session. If it's meet preparation with a bench shirt then the quality of the lift is oten more important than the weight on the bar. If you are far from a contest then I'd say the answer to your question will depend on if you are trying to train your max strength / nervous system (use max singles); or gain muscle mass and strength (use triples).

vdizenzo
06-01-2009, 05:57 AM
I too rarely do doubles or triples (other than warmups) for my ME exercise. I used to do them when I followed a linear/Western periodization program. The Westside/conjugated periodization method does not call for them. I do not know the exact program of the Big Iron Gym lifters, but I do know they use doubles and triples to some extent.

Why do you ask?

Rob Luyando
06-01-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't have a ME day so I will chime in. On my heavy training day full range raw or shirt I mix up doubles and singles. Each week I set goals on moving the weight up on my last three of four working sets. Doubles in a shirt are great for building strength and muscle endurance. Now when I talk doubles I am not talking full range ****. I am talking off 2 or 3 brds. Doubles full range is to hard on your body. When going full range I recomend doing singles in a shirt so you can really concetrate on getting it right the first rep.

MarcusWild
06-01-2009, 10:23 AM
I think Rob has nailed how to do this right. When you use boards in a shirt, then you do doubles so you get the same time under tension as a full ROM lift.

NickAus
06-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Thank you very much everyone, that is really helpful.
I asked because I thought by only doing singles I may be missing something, the doubles off boards sounds like a good thing to do.
Thanks again and good luck.

GHOGH
06-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Wow, after reading this thread, I think I may be over doing it. My bench workout usually looks like this:

135 x 7 x 2
225 x 7
315 x 3
405 x 1 or miss, not consistent
315 x 5 x 2

NickAus
06-01-2009, 05:08 PM
No, you are NOT overdoing it.
You need more volume.
Warmup mostly with 3s.

Dingus
06-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Wow, after reading this thread, I think I may be over doing it. My bench workout usually looks like this:

135 x 7 x 2
225 x 7
315 x 3
405 x 1 or miss, not consistent
315 x 5 x 2

Do you do the same thing everytime you go in the gym?

GHOGH
06-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Do you do the same thing everytime you go in the gym?

Pretty Much. But that's just my flat bench , I follow up with another press movement Incline or Decline then a fly exercise.

NickAus
06-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Might be a good idea to look though the pro powerlifters bench logs, you are doing more of a bodybuilding routine.
Lots of info around.

vdizenzo
06-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Ghogh, what type of program are you following?

GHOGH
06-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Ghogh, what type of program are you following?
I do a 3 day workout, Day 1 Chest tris, Day 2 Back Shoulder, day 3 Leg bi's. I pretty much stay in the 4 sets with 6-8 rep range. I will post a training log, I have actually never kept a complete log until about a month ago, usually just memorized it. Should have it up soon. I am concentrating on RAW bench. I really don't like the shirt.

vdizenzo
06-01-2009, 07:38 PM
I do a 3 day workout, Day 1 Chest tris, Day 2 Back Shoulder, day 3 Leg bi's. I pretty much stay in the 4 sets with 6-8 rep range. I will post a training log, I have actually never kept a complete log until about a month ago, usually just memorized it. Should have it up soon. I am concentrating on RAW bench. I really don't like the shirt.

If you want to start improving your raw bench you should start researching periodization. There are proven methods to gain strength. No offense, but 4 sets of 6-8 reps is not one of them.

KarstenDD
06-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Sweet, is now my time to shine? TRIPLES IN THE SHIRT!

GHOGH
06-01-2009, 08:19 PM
If you want to start improving your raw bench you should start researching periodization. There are proven methods to gain strength. No offense, but 4 sets of 6-8 reps is not one of them.

No offense taken. Thank you for the info my journal is now up.

Hazerboy
06-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Sweet, is now my time to shine? TRIPLES IN THE SHIRT!

I think I remember vincent or rhodes posting an article about how they used triples to teach guys how to use shirts. is this what you were talking about?

http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-triples.htm

KarstenDD
06-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I think I remember vincent or rhodes posting an article about how they used triples to teach guys how to use shirts. is this what you were talking about?

http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-triples.htm

Yes.

Cyrus Ford
06-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I do sets of 7 one week and the next week I do sets of 3. The only time I do a 1RM is at the beginning of a training cycle which is something I recently started. I get the best workout IMO by doing the sets of 7. I do not use bands/chains or anything besides the regular bar and weight. Of course my training is not the best way, but it works for me. My advice to you is to experiment with different training (reps, sets, chains, bands, etc...) and see what gives you the best results. No particular training method is the best until you find one that works for you.

Travis Bell
06-02-2009, 05:56 AM
I hardly ever do doubles or triples. Everything on ME day is to a single.

NickAus
06-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Thank you!