PDA

View Full Version : Is it vital to have a protein shake right after a good workout?

cichlidfort
06-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I have always been under the impression that's it is very important to have a portein shake or some source of protein immediately after a workout. I have always done this and it makes sense. I am just curious what happens if you don't take a shake right after..is the results not as good?

Reko
06-01-2009, 09:07 PM
You might be marginally worse if you didn't. But, as long as the big picture is good, the small details won't make or break you unless you are striving on getting to that elite level.

cichlidfort
06-01-2009, 10:49 PM
You might be marginally worse if you didn't. But, as long as the big picture is good, the small details won't make or break you unless you are striving on getting to that elite level.

Yeah that's what I thought. Only reason I ask is because I am young and I have a quick metabolism. I don't want my body burning off muscle as a source of energy if I stay empty after a workout.

xtian
06-02-2009, 12:36 AM
In for the curiosity. I sometimes don't drink a protein shake right after a workout. I usually just eat a protein heavy meal 30-60 mins after.

Mercuryblade
06-02-2009, 12:38 AM
It's best to have a protein shake right after a good workout, your muscles will be starved for glycogen and getting a good mix of fast absorbing carbs and protein is the best way to shuttle those amino acids into your muscle tissue.
As far as vital goes, no. It is still possible to put on muscle mass without having a protein shake right after you workout.
Remember that you heal outside of the gym, and the healing process doesn't just happen an hour or two after you leave, so protein intake for days proceeding your workout is arguably just as important as that post-workout shake.

Joe Black
06-02-2009, 02:44 AM
I'd agree with Reko, the bigger picture is what counts.

It is important to fuel your body though fairly quickly after a workout and liquid drinks make that very easy.

I tend to sip a carb drink through my workouts and then finish with a double serving of Nitrean. Followed by a proper meal an hour or so later.

Kastro
06-02-2009, 04:36 AM
Vital? No, but it's probably a good idea to get something in post-workout; whether or not it's going to be a couple of scoops from your $80 tub of whey protein, or steak and potatoes, is up to you.

samadhi_smiles
06-02-2009, 07:41 AM
I feel a lot better if I get a postworkout shake with dextrose and whey. Just feel 'fuller' in my muscles, the simple sugars restore them. When your muscle fibers are beat up they uptake nutrients (protein and sugar) much easier. So why not take advantage of that window (12-24 hours) and get as many quality feedings in?

samadhi_smiles
06-02-2009, 07:42 AM
a couple of scoops from your $80 tub of whey protein
I hope that 'tub' you're referring to is 20 pounds because if its any less you're getting ripped right the **** off.

rbtrout
06-02-2009, 08:57 AM
I'd agree with Reko, the bigger picture is what counts.

It is important to fuel your body though fairly quickly after a workout and liquid drinks make that very easy.

I tend to sip a carb drink through my workouts and then finish with a double serving of Nitrean. Followed by a proper meal an hour or so later.

I have a single serving of Nitrean about 15 minutes after my workout. After doing this for a year or so, I can tell the difference.

the_top
06-02-2009, 09:29 AM
hi,you must take a quick digested protein(40-60)grams immediately after your final rep and about 60-100 grams of fast absorbed carbs to repair your muscles

ThomasG
06-02-2009, 10:07 AM
hi,you must take a quick digested protein(40-60)grams immediately after your final rep and about 60-100 grams of fast absorbed carbs to repair your muscles

The carb to protein ration should be 4:1 or 3:1. Chocolate milk is a great example.

VikingWarlord
06-02-2009, 11:46 AM
The carb to protein ration should be 4:1 or 3:1. Chocolate milk is a great example.

Most of what I've seen says 2:1 but some sources have said what you did. The fact that there aren't any specific numbers suggest that it's too variable to try to nail down.

It's not important, especially if you eat something slightly more complex prior to training. If you have some chicken breast or tuna or something about an hour before your session, the proteins will have started to break down and make the amino acids available by the time you're done with your training anyway, rendering it a moot point.

This is definitely a big picture thing.

unj
06-02-2009, 11:48 AM
If you buy whey then the ideal time to use it is post workout... don't see why you wouldn't? However even if you didn't and you had a meal when you got home in the space of 30 minutes your body wont breakdown a measurable amount of your muscles to replenish glycogen stores...

Ever since i started lifting the one thing i have always done is the post workout protein shake... my friends never did it for a good 1-2 years and now there isn't a single one who doesn't take a PWO shake, i wonder why!

rag15
06-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Its not absolutely necessary, but post-workout would be the best time to drink a protein shake than any other time of the day. If you can't make a protein shake for some reason, any protein & carb rich food will be pretty good substitute. Avoid fats (like milk) if possible, as it slows down protein absorption. water + dextrose (and maltodextrin if you have it). You can also add creatine if its part of your diet.

I know its a "rival" website, but here's some good information (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek37.htm) about post-workout shake. Scroll down to calculate how much protein and carb you'll need for your body weight.

You must add .8 grams of carbs per kg of body mass (50/50 split between maltodextrin and dextrose they are both fast absorbing carbs with different effects on creating an insulin spike).

You must add .4 grams of protein into your shake. This will help your body provide protein to rebuild and build muscle and also helps create and insulin spike along with your carbs.

Skalami
06-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Actually they say 20grams is the best amount, much more then that and its just being wasted especially if youre under 200lbs. I would think 30grams would be good dont want to waste the stuff.

http://www.ergo-log.com/20grams.html

"If you take protein immediately after training to stimulate muscle tissue increase, the optimal dose is twenty grams. A higher intake only increases the breakdown of amino acids in the body, write sports scientists at McMaster University in Canada in a soon-to-be published article in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition."

"Shakes containing more than twenty grams of protein do promote the burning of amino acids. The researchers discovered this by measuring the oxidation of the amino acid leucine in the blood of the test subjects. "

and heres a conclusion,hypothesis the people who run the site drew. I like this this site these guys seem like smart guys:

"We have a different theory. The body needs time to digest proteins. The more protein you consume, the longer the digestion process takes. The body’s amino acid requirement in the muscles is greatest during and immediately after a training session. The higher doses that the Canadians used needed more time to be digested and were given too late. If the Canadians had given their test subjects the protein before the training session, then they would have probably discovered that higher doses of protein do provide an extra anabolic stimulus. "

Holto
06-05-2009, 10:26 AM
"If you take protein immediately after training to stimulate muscle tissue increase, the optimal dose is twenty grams. A higher intake only increases the breakdown of amino acids in the body, write sports scientists at McMaster University in Canada in a soon-to-be published article in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition."

I just want to clarify this for anyone not well versed in nutrition.

This breakdown is the amino's you just consumed being used for energy, it doesn't refer to breaking down tissue.

In nutrition, precision is impossible, so if you've got amino's being skimmed off the amino acid pool to be used for energy, you're right on track. Always err on the side of caution.

VikingWarlord
06-05-2009, 10:29 AM
You can NEVER set a hard and fast rule like 20g. By setting a rule like that, you're claiming that a 6 year old girl and a 350lb elite level powerlifter have the exact same nutritional requirements.

There are no details in that study other than it was done on 6 college students that were already taking in 1.4g/kg of protein daily. It said that muscle fiber production raised by 93% which sounds impressive but since there was no baseline provided, it's meaningless.

The only real conclusion with any significant impact is that if you ingest a fast digesting protein shortly after a training session, it helps recovery. Welcome to 15 years ago.

Mercuryblade
06-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Most of what I've seen says 2:1 but some sources have said what you did. The fact that there aren't any specific numbers suggest that it's too variable to try to nail down.

It's not important, especially if you eat something slightly more complex prior to training. If you have some chicken breast or tuna or something about an hour before your session, the proteins will have started to break down and make the amino acids available by the time you're done with your training anyway, rendering it a moot point.

This is definitely a big picture thing.

^^
We all have different insulin responses, the fundamental theory behind loading up on the carbs with your protein, is that the insulin will help shuttle the protein source into tissues. There is no way to nail down a hard number for how many carbs one would need in their shake to illicit an adequate insulin response.