PDA

View Full Version : Soccer workout (high school)

JRider23
06-01-2009, 09:10 PM
hey guys... i asked a question here about 2 weeks ago about the current routine i am doing. I have been keeping my own journal on Microsoft word, and seem to be progressing quite well in my lifts. I learned so much from this site, and just have a real quick question. I am currently doing;

Day A:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
3x5 Deadlift
3x8 Dips
3x15 calf raises

Day B:
3x5 Squat
3x5 Clean/Press
3x failure chinups (i can't do many yet)
3x20 russian twists (with 10 pound weight)
Planks 2x failure

since i added the clean/press to B, i wasn't sure if i should keep up the rows (i should probably get rid of the Russian twists).. would it be too much to leave in the rows, and would something like this look okay for day B?

3x5 Squat
3x5 Clean/Press
3x failure chinups
2x failure planks
3x10 DB Lunges

since i am playing soccer, i think lunges would be beneficial to my legs.

I am going to be doing this workout up until August which is when i leave for France to go on vacation. However, once my school year ends (June 24th) i was planning on doing HIIT.. However, i have heard that plyometrics help a lot for soccer, and was thinking of having maybe a day of interval training (HIIT), a day for endurance, and a day for more plyometrics, and hills and that type of stuff. I am planning on to go to the gym 3 times a week, and running 3 times a week while resting for a day.

For the first week i want to do some trial/error.. experiment if i can keep up my lifts while also running. Does some sort of split like that seem okay, and what do you think of the lunges? Thanks

If anyone has any additional advice on how to train for soccer, it is much appreciated.

thewicked
06-01-2009, 10:06 PM
got a perfect soccer workout for ya..i'll start posting it tomorrow..

it's HUGE but it's used by a few of my college students and is based around current college soccer programs in the area.

JRider23
06-02-2009, 04:13 AM
got a perfect soccer workout for ya..i'll start posting it tomorrow..

it's HUGE but it's used by a few of my college students and is based around current college soccer programs in the area.

thanks man!! can't wait to see it

Goodwinm
06-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Good to see you including proper solid training for football (soccer).
You could also throw in some sandbag sprints as well. They will seriously increase your leg strength and power immensely for running kicking and building some mass to make you more dominant in tackling. Maybe even include the use of a sandbag for your plyometrics training.

I'm talking about decently heavy sandbags as well.

JRider23
06-03-2009, 03:42 AM
Good to see you including proper solid training for football (soccer).
You could also throw in some sandbag sprints as well. They will seriously increase your leg strength and power immensely for running kicking and building some mass to make you more dominant in tackling. Maybe even include the use of a sandbag for your plyometrics training.

I'm talking about decently heavy sandbags as well.

i am still really new to all of this..I just checked out sandbag springs, and they seem pretty interesting. Not sure if i can get the sandbag and drag it down (my dad is already skeptical of me lifting weights especially after a trainer at the gym told him i squatted too low and deadlifts weren't so great for my back). He would think it seems preposterous to say the least, but i will see. I have never really looked into them at all. Do you think i should add the lunges to Workout B and what about the Rows? thx

oh and do you know any exercises that would be good (without any equipment) in terms of plyometrics and other stuff like that. I am going to France in August for about 2 weeks, and then coming home straight to soccer, and i really want to/have to train while i am there.

slashkills
06-03-2009, 06:07 AM
Look up some basic plyometric routines on google.

mattburns
06-07-2009, 06:09 AM
I would definitely have some rows in workout B for some direct back work mate. Other than that the split looks ok.

The lunges could be a useful addition to work on your hams. What position do you play?

JRider23
06-07-2009, 05:15 PM
I would definitely have some rows in workout B for some direct back work mate. Other than that the split looks ok.

The lunges could be a useful addition to work on your hams. What position do you play?

thx... i usually play defense; sometimes some mid, but primarily defense.

Do you think adding in lunges would be a bit much? Should i take something out or will it be okay with lunges?

mattburns
06-07-2009, 06:52 PM
I think you will be ok with the lunges mate.

Irish
06-08-2009, 03:21 AM
You really want to improve your performance in Soccer, learn how to STOP....!!

Seems weird huh? Well if you can stop and turn and accelerate quickly you will no doubt cath up with the striker quicker. If you can get your coach to have a look at your stopping and changing direction mechanics without weight training your performance will increase no doubt. Just off the bat, if your running from left to right and suddenly want to go left again you should absorb the momentum with your inside leg not your outside and ideally have your body leaning to the direction you want to go. This way saving energy to run the other way.

With regards to Cardio training HIIT is the way forward. I was at a conference and talked about performing multiple sprints up to 5 sprints and assessing their performance. They looked at the traditional 30s all out and rest and also a work ratio of 2:1 and steady state (30 min continous exercise). They found (a guy called David Bishop an Associate Professor at the Facolta di Scienze Motorie, Verona) that if you used the work ratio of 2:1 (say 2 min of 80% VO2 Max and 1 min recovery) your body's ability to get rid of lactate acid and perform another sprint had dramatic improvements when performing multiple sprints. They also found if you went over this 80% VO2 mark you actually didn't perform as better, so sometimes more is not always better.

Now i know what your thinking, well i dont run for 2 mins continous in Soccer and your right. Averagly about 6m sprint is all you do every 2min or so. But performing this form of work carried over onto the football field (they assessed Aussie Rules football and also FA Premier League the country David Beckham is from ;) , they found that they were more effiecent at getting rid of lactate acid there for improving their ability to performing multiple sprints without fatiguing as much.

Also lunges are fine, once you learn them try multi directional lunges as well.

Hope this helps, sorry if it was long winded :)

EDIT: Obviously check all this with your coach, i am not your coach and i am no way telling you what to do. Make sure your supervised performing theses tasks and they fit with your current programme (ie pre/during/post season)

JRider23
06-08-2009, 07:16 PM
You really want to improve your performance in Soccer, learn how to STOP....!!

Seems weird huh? Well if you can stop and turn and accelerate quickly you will no doubt cath up with the striker quicker. If you can get your coach to have a look at your stopping and changing direction mechanics without weight training your performance will increase no doubt. Just off the bat, if your running from left to right and suddenly want to go left again you should absorb the momentum with your inside leg not your outside and ideally have your body leaning to the direction you want to go. This way saving energy to run the other way.

With regards to Cardio training HIIT is the way forward. I was at a conference and talked about performing multiple sprints up to 5 sprints and assessing their performance. They looked at the traditional 30s all out and rest and also a work ratio of 2:1 and steady state (30 min continous exercise). They found (a guy called David Bishop an Associate Professor at the Facolta di Scienze Motorie, Verona) that if you used the work ratio of 2:1 (say 2 min of 80% VO2 Max and 1 min recovery) your body's ability to get rid of lactate acid and perform another sprint had dramatic improvements when performing multiple sprints. They also found if you went over this 80% VO2 mark you actually didn't perform as better, so sometimes more is not always better.

Now i know what your thinking, well i dont run for 2 mins continous in Soccer and your right. Averagly about 6m sprint is all you do every 2min or so. But performing this form of work carried over onto the football field (they assessed Aussie Rules football and also FA Premier League the country David Beckham is from ;) , they found that they were more effiecent at getting rid of lactate acid there for improving their ability to performing multiple sprints without fatiguing as much.

Also lunges are fine, once you learn them try multi directional lunges as well.

Hope this helps, sorry if it was long winded :)

EDIT: Obviously check all this with your coach, i am not your coach and i am no way telling you what to do. Make sure your supervised performing theses tasks and they fit with your current programme (ie pre/during/post season)

k thanks for the advice... I was originally planning on doing HIIT, but i have heard that adding plyometrics and stuff like that really helps. I also wanted to do some hills, suicides, and other types of stuff like that. I was thinking about trying suicides with a soccer ball so it'd help my movement/ball control.. some stuff along those lines.

Irish
06-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Well when adding a ball remember going to sport specific will actually have a reverse effect. When you want to get stronger you lift weights, do you do a squat while trying to do kick ups? no, well would be impressive :P

So if you want to do suicides with a ball remember that becomes a skill move not a cardio workout.

Im sure you know the difference but didnt want assume.

Remember also strength/endurance workouts in a gym have shown to have a carry over onto a pitch with regards to CV abilities

good luck dude

JRider23
06-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Well when adding a ball remember going to sport specific will actually have a reverse effect. When you want to get stronger you lift weights, do you do a squat while trying to do kick ups? no, well would be impressive :P

So if you want to do suicides with a ball remember that becomes a skill move not a cardio workout.

Im sure you know the difference but didnt want assume.

Remember also strength/endurance workouts in a gym have shown to have a carry over onto a pitch with regards to CV abilities

good luck dude

this is a stupid question but what is CV? lol.. Cut Volume is all i can think of.

I understand the logic and everything about cutting/gaining, but i can't really gain that much because my primary reason for lifting is to get stronger for soccer. I want to get stronger all around, and am currently gaining some weight, but i don't want to gain too much.

So pretty much what you are saying is that if i were to incorporate a ball into my workouts, it would be more skill than cardio? Wouldn't adding a ball to stuff like suicides just help me more with ball control? I mean, i know i wouldn't be able to go as fast/get as much speed out of it with the ball, but does that mean it wouldn't be considered cardio?

I am debating doing something like that with the suicides. Maybe every other time i'd use the ball or something. I will try to make something that i want to do and post it here for some advice

thx a lot

JRider23
06-17-2009, 03:47 PM
How does this seem as a workout?

Day 1

warm up- 2 laps

line jumps- 2x horizontal/2x vertical (switching off)- 1 minute each

Suicides- 10 yard line-50 yard line (2x)

10 yards forward/10 yards backwards (10 yd line-40 yd line) (2x)

5x Hills

2 100 yard sprints to end off

2 cool down laps

Day 2
warm up 2 laps

Sprint 1/8 of a mile.... Jog 1/8 of a mile (6 times)

2 cool down laps

i would incorporate this into my lifting schedule ever other day i'd lift, then run the next day and take sunday off.... and get soccer in when i feel up to it during captains practices which are tuesday, thursday, and sunday

oh and lots of stretching before, during and after my workouts

JRider23
06-20-2009, 08:14 AM
sorry for the quick bump.. i hope to start running in a few days so i just want to see if this seems okay to some of the more experienced members

JRider23
07-01-2009, 10:51 PM
any ideas? it's officially July so friday it's time to start this workout. Thx