06-02-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm gonna get straight to the #'s...

Early May

Weight 223
Waist 37"
Chest 47"
Legs 26 3/4"
Arms 16 3/4"

My BW has never been 205+, and this winter I went way over that. I didn't know I had it in me but I did get pretty sloppy with it. I cleaned up my diet in early May and my weight is currently around 210, I dropped a lot of water weight, but I'm still carrying a good amount of chub.

I decided it's time for a change with my old journal and that I needed to create a new journal, one with CONSISTENCY.

I have been on and off of these boards, and weightlifting, for a while. I was off for so long I couldn't access the password to my other account (Time + Patience) hence no spaces now.

I spent a lot of time searching threads in the Diet+Nutrition and I have the most detailed diet and goals ever, thanks to; Severed Ties, Borris, Built, and a few others, whose comments and questions were great.

Now for my new Goals; for October...

Weight 193- BF under 7%
Squats 385x8
Deads 405x6
Sumo's 475x5
Flat BB 225x8

My diet #'s will look like this...

Workout Days

Calories- 3,300
Fats- 25%
Carbs- 34%
Protein- 41%

Non-Workout Days

Calories- 2,800
Fats- 40%
Carbs- 20%
Protein- 40%

**I am going to be incorporating Olive Oil, Flax Seed Oil, and Fish Oil and Whey.

Workout Schedule

Day 1- Quads
Day 2- Chest/Delts
Day 3- Off
Day 4- Back/Hams
Day 5- Arms
Day 6- Off
Day 7- Repeat

*I rarely focus on my Bi's and Tri's, so I am dedicating a day to them, to make sure I work them out.
**I'll be splitting Quads and Hams. By working my Hams w/Back I'm hoping to give my Hammies a kick in the Ham.

I'm going to post a couple pictures for the befores, then I'll post some afters; every month or maybe sooner if the progress is noticeable.

Any comments, questions, or concerns, regarding my Diet, training, or anything else, please shoot me a message.

Time+Patience
06-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Current pictures as of June 1st, 2009. I went from 190-195 up to 220ish over 6-7 months. I got sloppy as you can tell...

Following attachments are 2 Front and 2 Back...

Time+Patience
06-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I forgot to add a picture of the Wheels. They usually have been a strong point for me, I lost some definition, but what definition is there does not show through very well due to the pasty whiteness color that you see there.

The last pic (110) is from 2006, and that's a good idea of how lean I want to be, but with the added size I've put on over the years.

I am hoping to have a solid tan overall to allow for max. definition.

My biggest goal is to look like I have never looked before, Lean-wise.

benno
06-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Hey mate, Looking pretty thick and solid :) You would rip up massive. Good to see youve got a good diet plan outlined etc. All the best in achieving those goals.

Time+Patience
06-03-2009, 08:12 PM
This is a catch up post with 4 of my past workouts...

Wednesday May 27th

Squats** I'm going w/a traditional BBing stance.
315x 8/7/7

Leg Press**Feet are no further than shoulder width.
405x 12
495x 12/12/12

Lying Leg Curls
90x 15/15/14/15/12

Standing Leg Curls
35x10/8- I couldn't do anymore Leg Curls

SLDL**I'll be doing SLDL on Back days, I'll also be going heavier
95x 20
115x 20/20

Thursday May 28th

Flat BB
185x 10/10/9/8

Hang Cleans**I superset my Bench and Cleans
185x 10/10/10/10

BB Military
135x 10/ 6/5/4/3/2 **My Delts were spent after the Flat BB

Flat DB Flyes
40x 8/8/6/5

DB Side Raises
35x6/7

Tuesday June 2nd

Squats
315x 8/6/6
335x 4/4

Leg Press
585x 10/10/10

BB Lunges
Bar x 12/12/16**I couldn't imagine adding more weight right now!

**My Legs were shot after this workout. I haven't worked my legs this hard in quite some time. If I continue this, I should see some good size and detail within a few weeks.

Wednesday June 3rd

Flat BB
185x 10/10 205x 4/5

Hang Cleans** Superset w/Flat BB
185x 10/10 205x 6/6

BB Military
145x 9/8/8/8** I faired a bit better on these. I have to do them in a power cage due to no spotter.

Flat DB Flyes
35x 10/10/10/10

Side DB Raises (Superset w/the Flyes)
35x 12/12/12

The past 2 workouts have been great workouts. That's when I really had every goal, detail, and thought in the right order.

If I could consistently train and diet with this continued focus, then the results over the next 3 months could be the best I've EVER experienced in my life.

benno
06-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Good numbers on the lifts, keep at it!

Time+Patience
06-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey mate, Looking pretty thick and solid :) You would rip up massive. Good to see youve got a good diet plan outlined etc. All the best in achieving those goals.

What's going on Down Under. Thanks, I'm hoping to keep as much size as I can, while ripping it up. I'm hoping my diet is just about right on my caloric intake. I'm not as scientific as some members are, but I have an idea of what I need.

Time+Patience
06-05-2009, 07:17 AM
I woke up early, 3 AM, so I could squeeze in my workout at a time where I would be able to get it done in quick fashion.

Friday June 5th

SLDL
245x8/8/8/8 *I haven't gone heavy in a while, and these were strenuous for sure.

Pullups/Pulldowns
BWx8/7/6
135x9/9/8

BB Rows** I pull the bar into my lower chest area, to work the upper back more.
165x 10/10/10/10

Rack Deads
275x10
325x 6/6/6
275x10

I had to get this workout in rather quickly, since I open up the gym in the mornings. It wasn't a bad workout, bue I'm not accustomed to working out so early, let alone be up quite that early.

I plan on getting up over 300+ on the SLDL's and I'm looking to get up to 400+ on the Rack Deads, but it depends on where in my workout I do these exercises.

benno
06-05-2009, 08:07 AM
I woke up early, 3 AM, so I could squeeze in my workout at a time where I would be able to get it done in quick fashion.

Friday June 5th

SLDL
245x8/8/8/8 *I haven't gone heavy in a while, and these were strenuous for sure.

Pullups/Pulldowns
BWx8/7/6
135x9/9/8

BB Rows** I pull the bar into my lower chest area, to work the upper back more.
165x 10/10/10/10

Rack Deads
275x10
325x 6/6/6
275x10

I had to get this workout in rather quickly, since I open up the gym in the mornings. It wasn't a bad workout, bue I'm not accustomed to working out so early, let alone be up quite that early.

I plan on getting up over 300+ on the SLDL's and I'm looking to get up to 400+ on the Rack Deads, but it depends on where in my workout I do these exercises.

Haha 3am wakeups for a gym workout! I like the commitment bro! :) Good stuff. Work back into those stiffs and racks slowly, the numbers will be high in no time.

Time+Patience
06-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Saturday June 6th

BB Curls
80x 8/8/8

Skulls Crushers
80x 10/8/8

Overhead Ext
60x 6/8/8

Preacher Curls
55x 10/10/10

Calve Raises
255x 8/8/8/8

I basically superset the Bi and Tri exercises. I also read up about the HIT training method, so I decided to do slower reps and I'll say that it wore me out.

Maybe this Winter I will try a full blown HIT workout. It will be a huge challenge mentally, and I definitely understand the thinking behind the training, and I like the sounds of it.

I never train my arms consistently. I've always just let all of the Core exercises work them out. I assume that I should see some solid gains in my arms now that I'm training them specifically.

Monday brings Quads, I'm hoping to up my reps at 335.

benno
06-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Saturday June 6th

BB Curls
80x 8/8/8

Skulls Crushers
80x 10/8/8

Overhead Ext
60x 6/8/8

Preacher Curls
55x 10/10/10

Calve Raises
255x 8/8/8/8

I basically superset the Bi and Tri exercises. I also read up about the HIT training method, so I decided to do slower reps and I'll say that it wore me out.

Maybe this Winter I will try a full blown HIT workout. It will be a huge challenge mentally, and I definitely understand the thinking behind the training, and I like the sounds of it.

I never train my arms consistently. I've always just let all of the Core exercises work them out. I assume that I should see some solid gains in my arms now that I'm training them specifically.

Monday brings Quads, I'm hoping to up my reps at 335.

Good workout, yeah i always found superseting bi's and tri's worked well but did fatigue quite quickly. Good stuff though!

Time+Patience
06-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Monday June 8th

Squats
335x 5/5/5/5

Leg Press
675x 8/8/8

Lunges
Barx 22 Reps

I also did a small amount of calve work.

I had to be very brief with my workout. By the time I was done arguing with my 3 year old son, I got him into the Gym Playroom, I had less than 40 minutes after a brief warmup.

I actually pushed myself on the Leg Press this week. I think I could be at 765 soon enough. The Squats were very hard, to get those 5 reps, but I did up my reps and did it for 4 sets.

I'm hoping to be repping 365 by August.

Time+Patience
06-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Tuesday June 9th

Flat BB
205x 8/8/8/8 ** I had to stop and rest after the first 6 reps after the 1st set.

Hang Cleans
205x 8/8/8/8

DB Side Raises
40x 8/8/8

DB Upright Rows ** Superset w/DB Raises
40x 8/10/10

Flat DB Flyes
40x 8/10/10

I had 2 Finals today, so I didn't get to workout until 8:30, which is very late for me, so I was speeding through my workout. I was getting one hell of a sweat though.

I did some HIIT cardio, I only did 3 intervals where I was maxing out the treadmill for about 30 seconds. I also did some Ab work.

I was able to up my weight on everything this week. I'll probably go up to 215 for Flat BB and Hang Cleans and work my way up to 6-8 continuous reps, hopefully I can get that done within 2 workouts.

benno
06-10-2009, 02:11 AM
Looking good and strong as always. Good numbers on the squats and leg presses bro.

Coke
06-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Numbers are looking solid man, damn good pics too.

Time+Patience
06-12-2009, 06:36 AM
I went to work early, 4 AM, and did a Mini morning session and saved the big stuff for later in the day.

Thursday June 11th

AM Workout

Leg Curls
80x 15/15/15/15 110x10

Pulldowns
135x 12/12/10/10

PM Workout

BB Rows **Bar to Chest
185xx 10/10/10

BB Rows ** Bar to lower abs
225x 8/8/8

Deadlifts ** Conventional
405x3
405x 1/1/1 **Limited Rest on these- I was surprised at how "easy" 405 was.

SLDL
245x 10
265x 6/6

**Kick ass workout!**

I'm going to do both types of Rows for a while to ensure overall back thickness. I've lost some of my Lat width, since I don't do many Vertical Pulls, so I'll eventually switch it up and do 2 Vertical Pulls instead of 2 Horizontal.

I'm very enamored with overall Back thickness, so that's my focus, hence the reason why I'm doing the Deads also. I hope I can implement the Deads and Squats in the same week without any harm. I'll just be doing quick Singles for the Deadlifts.

I should be up to 450 on the Deads and 300+ on the SLDL soon enough!

Time+Patience
06-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Benno Coke

Thanks fellers.
My biggest goal is obviously the word in the title: CONSISTENCY.

Coke, if I had the consistency that you have displayed in your journal, I'd be on another level now. It's disappointing to see my lack of dedication at times.

Coke, I have to ask how do you stay with it the way you have?

Coke
06-12-2009, 08:04 AM
I be telling 'em, just get up and get in there (the gym) and the rest will take care of itself.

just don't stop, plain and simple.

Time+Patience
06-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I had a busy weekend. I had to finish some exams Friday, which was supposed to be my Arms workout, and I also attended a few graduations The University of Cincinnati. I'll be hitting the gym Monday and Tuesday though.

Sunday June 14th

BB Curls
90x 10/10/10

Skull Crushers
90x 10/10/10

Preacher Curls
60x 10/10/10

Overhead Ext
60x 10/10/12

I was able to up the weights on everything, and keep the reps high, but last Arm workout, I did the slower reps, so that's what the different most likely was. I'll jump up to 100 pounds for the first 2 exercises next workout.

Tomorrow is Squats and Leg Presses, which I'm hoping to up the reps or weight on both.

benno
06-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Benno Coke

Thanks fellers.
My biggest goal is obviously the word in the title: CONSISTENCY.

Coke, if I had the consistency that you have displayed in your journal, I'd be on another level now. It's disappointing to see my lack of dedication at times.

Coke, I have to ask how do you stay with it the way you have?

Again good workouts bro! Looking forward to seeing you numbers on squats and presses tomorrow, hit em hard!

How do u lack dedication at times?

I think the journal system is great, i love posting my results and then look back over them in time. To see what gains i made etc. Keep being consistant bro, good job!

Time+Patience
06-15-2009, 08:27 PM
How do u lack dedication at times?

I think the journal system is great, i love posting my results and then look back over them in time. To see what gains i made etc. Keep being consistant bro, good job!

I agree the journal system CAN be great, if it is used consistently and that has been exactly my problem. I used to have another journal under my other user name (Time + Patience) but I was so irregular with my posts.

I'm hoping to get this journal over 10 pages long, and if I can do that, I think it will have been my longest time of working out with the most consistency.

Now to my workout today... I did a brief AM workout, where I just did a few drop sets of Leg Extensions.

Monday June 15th

Leg Extensions ** AM Workout

Squats
365x 3/3/3/3
Dropset on the 4th set to...
315x 6- Then
225x 10 *Racked Weight* 5 more

Leg Presses
765x 5/5/5

Lunges
Barx 20/ 24

Sissy Squats **Superset w/Lunges
BWx 10/12

I wanted to up the weights on the Squats, and I did the Dropsets to add a different dynamic to my workout this week. Until I can get 365x5-8 reps, I'm going to do either more sets or the dropsets

I upped the weight on the Leg Presses and those were TOUGH, so I'll be sticking with that weight for a while.

My legs were extremely tight and well worked after the Lunges/Sissy Squats Supersets.

Overall a great workout. I'm hoping to string together 6 solid Leg sessions and that I can rep 385 by then.

Coke
06-16-2009, 10:35 AM
It wouldn't hurt to keep the training days the same, for example you did arms-Sunday and legs-Monday. If you do this next week, or week after week, you will really start to roll imo. Keep on with it man, doing good.

Time+Patience
06-19-2009, 09:14 PM
It wouldn't hurt to keep the training days the same, for example you did arms-Sunday and legs-Monday. If you do this next week, or week after week, you will really start to roll imo.

I have my schedule set like this, to allow for set backs, because being in school, working, and raising my family I have some set backs periodically. Plus it's a new schedule, so I'm seeing if it works, I more so like the split, I rarely focused on my Hamstrings and Arms in the past, and this split allows me to do so.

On to my workouts....

Tuesday June 16th

Flat BB
215 x 6/4/4/4

Military BB ** Smith Machine
155 x 10/10/10/10

Side DB Raises ** SuperSet
40 x 10/10/10

DB Upright Rows ** SuperSet
40 x 10/12/12

I had a job orientation on campus and then I went to a Cincinnati Reds game, so my time was extremely limited, and this gym doesn't allow any Cleaning or Snatching, so I couldn't do my Bench/Cleans Supersets, which was a bummer.

** Note- I have to do something different with my chest workout. It's just not working, I'll probably lower the weights. I've pretty much been doing workouts similar to this for Chest and my strength has been the same for 6 years, and my chest is actually lagging as compared to the past. I'm thinking I'll do 10+ reps, and maybe a superset after the Shoulder exercises. I just need something new.

I'm going to focus on my BP this winter time, especially if I focus more on PLing

Time+Patience
06-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I need to post my 2 recent workouts... which were both great BTW.

Thursday June 18th

BB Rows ** To lower Chest
185 x 10/10/10

BB Rows ** To lower Abs
235 x 8/6/6
* I had to incorporate some Rest/Pause on these, they felt great.

SLDL
275 x 8/8
315 x 3/3
** I had to go try for 315 to see how it felt, and I got it for a few, so I'll try to start at this weight and hit it for 5-6 reps next week.

Deads ** Conventional
405 x 1/1/1/1/1 ** 1 Minute rest B/T sets
430 x 1
** The 405 was rather easy, so I had to try some heavier weights, an Ego attempt I guess. I could probably pull 455 when fresh, definitely happy with that.

Seated Calve Raises
* I don't count sets or worry about weight, I just make sure I do a lot of *****. I'll usually put in 6-8 sets, and I vary the rep range and the tempo from workout to workout.

** My back felt great. I'm getting some great workouts in, and I have a lot of energy to do more, even though I'm busting my ass during my initial workouts, so that's a nice feeling.

*** Notes- I won't be able to continue this routine with the heavy Deadlifting and Squatting in the same week, so I'll probably do another week or 2, then alternate weeks of Heavy DLing and Squats.

Friday June 19th

BB Curls
90 x 10/10/10/10

BB Skull Crushers
90 x 10/10/10/10

Rope Curls
70 x 25/25 ** Rest/Pause

Overhead Rope EXT
70 x 25/20 ** Rest/Pause
*I had to drop the weights for the 2nd set

** This also was another awesome workout. Everything felt great, and the Rope Curls felt really good. The Rope Extensions felt good, but I can't do many continuous reps, I need to drop the weights, but the feel I get at the top is felt directly in the outter head of my triceps.

*** The wife and I took our son to the park, and I did a 4 sets of sprints, probably 50 yards worth. Enough to make myself work. I need to get to these sprints more often, and do more than 4 sets.

I'm going to hit the gym early Saturday morning, but only to shoot some hoops and do some plyometrics. I get a nice workout in on my Basketball days.

Coke
06-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Good deal on getting those sprints in...like the way you varied those sets of bb rows.

Time+Patience
06-20-2009, 12:39 PM
**UPDATE**

I'm going to post 2 pictures from June 19th, it's been 18 or so days since the last pictures, so this is an update of what things look like currently. I've noticed my waist getting tighter, and I don't know if anyone else can tell, but my legs are leaning out a bit. I'd like to really hammer in some strong separation on my Quads. My vascularity is definitely up, I can see a lot of veins laying flat, and if I can get them to pull up a little more then my legs and back should look nasty by August.

I haven't been 100% with my diet, but I have a basic foundation of what I need to follow daily. I'm going to either up my cardio a bit or drop a few carbs by July 1st.

I'm going to go with a slight change in my routine, I'll be doing 10 reps minimum on everything, except Squats and Deads. I love the heavy weights so much but I've never given the higher reps a shot, so I need to Experiment with the higher reps.

Over the course of this next year, I am going to do a lot of "Experimenting" with my Diet and Routine. I believe I am to the point with my Exercising that I need to find what's right for me. I want to keep my workouts very consistent to see the progression from week to week. I'll switch things if it's necessary.

Time+Patience
06-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Good deal on getting those sprints in...like the way you varied those sets of bb rows.

I noticed in your journal that you do your BB Rows in the Power Rack and claimed to have seen a big difference in your weights. I've been doing the Rows in a Rack for a while also, and it's easier to go heavier and do the Rest/Pause for when I do go heavy. I like it that way thus far.

I need to get more Sprints in every week, or some sort of cardio. I've been lacking on the cardio. I like Sprints and Plyo's as I believe they bring more definition out and I can't do cardio for 30+ minutes.

Coke
06-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Great couple of shots, your quads are huge and defined.

Time+Patience
06-21-2009, 08:50 PM
For Father's Day I went to Hoggy's BBQ and they had a Father's Day Buffet and I couldn't resist, so I loaded up on Pork, Mac N Cheese, Baked Beans and Cakes. Then we all split a Snickers Blizzard... so by the time my workout came around it wasn't what I expected.

I started to try some heavy Squats and I felt I was going to throw up, so I lowered the weights and the intensity a bit....

Sunday June 21

Squats
275 x 12/12/12/12/12

Leg Extensions
85 x 15/15/15

Sissy Squats ** Superset w/Leg Ext.
BW x 10/10/10

Overall it was a very subpar workout, but I should have known better with all of the heavy foods I ate earlier, but I wanted to get this in today, b/c there's a chance I don't get my workout in tomorrow, school starts back up for Summer Quarter.

I was cool with getting something in though, the lack of a good workout was worth a great Father's Day. I'm hoping my body responds well to this Wonderful/Horrible Cheat Day.

Kenny Powers
06-22-2009, 07:41 PM
looking very good my man, strong triceps and good cuts in the quads

interested to see how the high rep approach works out long term. i try to use higher reps in my assistance work

Coke
06-23-2009, 08:17 AM
5 sets of 12 reps with 275 squats is very nice guy.

Time+Patience
06-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Monday June 22nd

Smith BB Military
155 x 10/10/10

Flat BB
175 x 15/15/15

Hang Cleans **S/Set w/Flat BB
175 x 15/15/15

DB Side Raises
40 x 9/9

DB Upright Rows ** S/Set w/Raises
40 x 12/12

Cable Crossovers
2 sets @ 40

I decided to try the Military Presses first and it made a difference in the feel on my bench. The switch to the higher reps had a big impact on my overall workout, and I was short on time, so I had to squeeze everything in at a much quicker pace, I was really sweating my ass off.

My tri's were fatiguing by the 10th reps, I'm sure they were still recovering from my Friday workout. I may need to throw in an extra day, but I'll wait another week or 2 and see how my body adjusts to the higher rep Scheme.

I am going against my Normal Training beliefs, but I'm ready to do some new stuff and see how things turn out, but I need a shock somewhere in my routine, and this is what I'm trying for now.

Time+Patience
06-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Powers...

I'm not sure how this higher rep situation is going to work out? I figured it's worth a try. In the past I rarely went over 6-8 reps, I look back and think I've been whimping out b/c I want to avoid the Lactic Acid buildup/pump you get from higher reps, what a chump I've been.

It's going to be hard to gauge how much of my results will be from training or diet, since both are being totally revamped, but we will see. I just know not many people endorse higher reps, so I'm gonna try it for myself and see if there's a reason others don't really endorse this rep scheme.

Coke...

I wasn't impressed with the Squats. But I think I'm going to have to stick with these higher reps, as it is more of a mental game going with the higher reps as oppossed to the higher weights. I used to do 20 Reppers with 315 a few years back... I may have to try some of those again to test my "mental".

Time+Patience
06-24-2009, 08:09 PM
On Tuesday and Wednesday mornings I have been getting up earlier to get in some HIIT. It felt great Tuesday and really good Wednesday. I get it done in less then 12-13 minutes, with at least 4-5 maxed out (12 MPH) on the treadmill for at least 30 seconds. I am going to try to get these in 3 times a week. I am getting up around 3:40 in the AM to get this in, so it's a little difficult, but I need to get something done. Once I get into the routine of HIIT, I'll probably switch up to doing straight Sprints outside, where I can get more speed.

On to my brutal but beauty of a workout...

Wednesday June 24th

BB Rows ** To Lower Chest
175 x 15/15/15

BB Rows ** To Lower Abs
205 x 12/12/12

SLDL
315 x 6/5/5

Sumo Deadlifts405 x 1 ** Easy
435 x 1/1/1/1 ** Solid
455 x 1 **I could really feel my posterior chain working on this 1.

Leg Curls
90 x 15/12/12

Pulldowns ** Close Grip
125 x 22/25

This workout was great, nice redemption from my so-so Sunday Leg workout.

The SLDL's felt good, I should definitely get 6 reps for every set next week.

The Sumo's felt great also. I was happy with how "EASY" they felt. When I PL I use a Sumo stance. I've been wanting to do a few sets for a while to get a nice feel, and so far so good.

I like doing this higher volume for Back. I usually do about 8 sets or so. I'll probably lower the volume as I get further in my diet, but right now I feel great with doing this much Back work.

Arms tomorrow along with Abs and Calves.

Coke
06-25-2009, 07:55 AM
... I used to do 20 Reppers with 315 a few years back...

So that's why your legs have all that size, lol...like the way you're going at it dude.

Time+Patience
06-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Thursday June 25th

BB Curls
90 x 12/12/12

Skull Crushers
90 x 12/12/12

Concentration Curls
30 x 12/12/12

Overhead Ext
60 x 12/12/12

Lying DB Curls
20 x 15/15

Rope Pushdowns
50 x 15/15

Overall it was a solid workout. I'm not sure how these Bi and Tri workouts are feeling. I'm not getting the good muscle connection like I do for other bodyparts. I'll see how things play out.

benno
06-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Still hard at it i see bro! Good workouts and nice new pics! Im seeing good progress! Keep smashing those weights, lets see those 10 pages build up :)

Coke
06-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Looks like a very solid arm day man.

Time+Patience
06-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Coke + Benno,

I'm still trying to figure out what I like best, I'm really going by a "how do I feel today?" type of workout. I'll find out in a few weeks, if it's overtraining, or producing solid results.

Saturday June 27th

Squats315 x 10/10/10/10/7/6/5/5/4/4

Leg Extentions ** Single Leg
40 x 12/12/12

Sissy Squats **S/Set w/Leg EXT
BW x 10/10

Damn was this a very interesting and mentally challenging workout. I think this is the workout I'm going to follow, maybe throwing in Leg Press, I always feel a great Quad muscle connection on Leg Presses.

The 315 x 10 sets is a big jump from the 5 sets at 275! But I knew that was a subpar workout last week. I was happy to get 315 x 10, but I had to rack it after 7 reps on the next 3 sets of 10.

I am looking to get all 10 sets with 10+ reps at 315 by the end of July.

I'm also working on Leg Extensions and the Sissy Squats to help with my Quad definition, and then I do slow Sissy Squats to get a good stretch where the Lex Ext. hit my Quads.

I'm still standing but I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Chest and Delts tomorrow, feeling good about things!

Time+Patience
06-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Sunday 6/27

Military BB
135 x 15/15/15

Flat BB
175 x 11/10/10

Cleans
225 x 5/5/5/5/5

Flat DB Flyes
40 x 10/10/10/10

DB Side Raises
40 x 12/12/12

Cable Crossovers
40 x 20/20

DB Upright Rows
55 x 8/8

I decided to switch a few things around, but I'm not sure if I truly like the Chest/Delts/Pushing movements all in one day. Chest day in general is a rather depressing day, as I've been using the same amount of weights for Chest for about 6 years, it's pretty friggin frustrating.

I'm just going to focus on getting my Chest and Delts very conditioned and take it from there.

This is one workout that I'll be tweaking often until I find something I really like... Maybe Compound movements for Delts one week, and light Chest, and then vice versa the next week... Compounds for Chest then light Delts.

Any thoughts or advice on the Chest/Delt workouts would be more than welcomed.

Coke
06-28-2009, 01:00 PM
There are a number of ways to split the body up if you don't care for the push-pull-leg thing. Depending on the time you have during the week, the 5 day split works well and goes like this legs-chest-back-shoulders-arms...then you can go from there to create the 4 day split or whatever.

The leg day was killer, lol.

Brian999
06-28-2009, 03:21 PM
WOW, big difference from the old pics to the new ones! Good job!

Time+Patience
07-02-2009, 03:30 AM
I felt like complete Hell Monday, and still had a hangover from my odd illness Tuesday, so I postponed my workout until Wednesday.

Wednesday July 1

BB Rows ** To lower Abs
205 x 15/15/15

SLDL
315 x 6/6/6

Sumos
405 x 1/1/1
455 x 1/1

Lat Pulldowns
2 sets x 20+ (120 LBS, I think)

Rear Delt Pulls
3 Sets @ 75-90 LBS

I took a nap right before this workout and I felt a little stiff at first, mainly my back on the BB Rows, that's why I only did one version of the Rows.

My weight is down to around 204. I've lost about 4-5 pounds within the past 4-5 weeks, so my progression is right where it should be. I'm not used to progress this slow, but I'm sure I was losing a good amount of muscle along with fat in times past.

I believe my Calorie intake is where it should be to be losing fat without losing much muscle this time around. I have been following a High Protein, Low Carb, and Fill in the Fats type of diet, but I haven't been 100% with it, I'd say around 85%, but the progress is slow and steady. I'm looking to finally go sub 200 by August.

I'll follow this diet and this basic routine until August, then I might change things up, maybe just the routine, maybe my routine and diet. Again I'm trying to experiment.

If I do change my routine, I'll probably go with what Coke suggested, 1 muscle group a day, or to a 4 day split, which enables me to hit everything twice a week.

Coke
07-02-2009, 02:11 PM
That is a big back day bro.

benno
07-06-2009, 07:17 AM
I felt like complete Hell Monday, and still had a hangover from my odd illness Tuesday, so I postponed my workout until Wednesday.

Wednesday July 1

BB Rows ** To lower Abs
205 x 15/15/15

SLDL
315 x 6/6/6

Sumos
405 x 1/1/1
455 x 1/1

Lat Pulldowns
2 sets x 20+ (120 LBS, I think)

Rear Delt Pulls
3 Sets @ 75-90 LBS

I took a nap right before this workout and I felt a little stiff at first, mainly my back on the BB Rows, that's why I only did one version of the Rows.

My weight is down to around 204. I've lost about 4-5 pounds within the past 4-5 weeks, so my progression is right where it should be. I'm not used to progress this slow, but I'm sure I was losing a good amount of muscle along with fat in times past.

I believe my Calorie intake is where it should be to be losing fat without losing much muscle this time around. I have been following a High Protein, Low Carb, and Fill in the Fats type of diet, but I haven't been 100% with it, I'd say around 85%, but the progress is slow and steady. I'm looking to finally go sub 200 by August.

I'll follow this diet and this basic routine until August, then I might change things up, maybe just the routine, maybe my routine and diet. Again I'm trying to experiment.

If I do change my routine, I'll probably go with what Coke suggested, 1 muscle group a day, or to a 4 day split, which enables me to hit everything twice a week.

Really strong back workout! Nice stuff man. :thumbup:

Time+Patience
07-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I haven't slacked off, I'm just playing catch up.

My son's birthday was the 4th of July. I was out of town visiting family, and I went off of my diet a bit and I didn't feel like breaking away to get my workouts in, so I just pushed everything back a few days and enjoyed the rest.

I definitely Carb loaded over the weekend, and my weight jumped up a few pounds, but I'm already back to normal about 202 right now.

Thursday July 2nd

BB Curls
90 x 10/10/10

Skulls
90 x 10/10/10

BB Overhead Ext
60 x 8/10/8

Concentration DB Curls
30 x 10/8/8

Rope Pushdowns
50 x 12/12/

Rope Curls
50 x 15/15

** Solid workout, actually one of my better Arm workouts.

Tuesday July 7th

Squats
135 x 20
225 x 12
275 x 10
315 x 6/6/6/4/4

Leg Ext **Single Leg
30 x 12/12/12

Sissy Squats ** Held stretch at bottom
BW x 10/10/10

* I'm trying to keep my Squat stance narrow w/my feet straight ahead. I can feel it in my outter Quad and top half of my Quads, up to my hips.

** I'm really feeling these workouts directly in my Quads with a little lower back. Going as planned.

Wednesday July 8th

Smith Flat BB
185 x 9/10/10/10

Decline DB Fly
40 x 8/10/10

Incline DB Press
60 x 12/11/11

Side DB Raises
20 x 15/15/15

Cleans
185 x 5/5/5

* With the small tweak in my workout I felt this directly in my Lower & Outter Chest, which is my focus.

** I'm changing up the workout for this day. I'm doing 1-2 Light Delts movements. I'll do some Shoulder Presses before I start my Arm workouts.

So far things are looking pretty good. I was getting to caught up in my weights, now I'm trying to focus solely on feel. I'll continue to lift by "feel", I'm more or less putting the most focus on my Diet.

Coke
07-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Nice job those few sessions dude.

Time+Patience
07-10-2009, 01:46 PM
I need to write my routine down in my Lifting Log for Back days. I keep forgetting that it's also a Hamstring Heavy day, so I keep forgetting to do the Leg Curls, which I loved for the 1 or 2 workouts I remembered to do them.

Friday July 10th

BB Rows **To lower Chest
175 x 12/12/12 * Dropped to 135

BB Rows ** To lower Abs
185 x 12/12/12 * Dropped to 135

SLDL
315 x 6/6/6 **Finally got these SOB's for 3x6!!!

Sumo's
405 x 1/1/1/1/1

WG Pulldowns
135 x 12 **Dropset

A solid workout. I can usually get a very good workout on Back days and Leg days. I need to get my Chest and Arm days up to par.

I will probably do the Sumo's on alternating weeks, so I'm not doing many Deads.

Coke
07-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Relentless work for the back and hams, props.

benno
07-24-2009, 03:42 AM
I need to write my routine down in my Lifting Log for Back days. I keep forgetting that it's also a Hamstring Heavy day, so I keep forgetting to do the Leg Curls, which I loved for the 1 or 2 workouts I remembered to do them.

Friday July 10th

BB Rows **To lower Chest
175 x 12/12/12 * Dropped to 135

BB Rows ** To lower Abs
185 x 12/12/12 * Dropped to 135

SLDL
315 x 6/6/6 **Finally got these SOB's for 3x6!!!

Sumo's
405 x 1/1/1/1/1

WG Pulldowns
135 x 12 **Dropset

A solid workout. I can usually get a very good workout on Back days and Leg days. I need to get my Chest and Arm days up to par.

I will probably do the Sumo's on alternating weeks, so I'm not doing many Deads.

Great lifts on the sumos and SLDL's! I replaced Sumos for my SLDL 5x5. Something different, i must say i like them. Ive got them again tomorrow! :) Good work keep up the hard yakka.

benno
08-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Hey mate, Been busy? Havent seen a post for a while! :)

Lets see those workouts big fella. :thumbup:

Time+Patience
08-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey mate, Been busy? Havent seen a post for a while! :)

Lets see those workouts big fella. :thumbup:

I've eased up on the Consistency part haven't I?

It's been a busy/****ty/exciting 3 weeks or so... got flooded out of my apartment, so the family and I were living out of a hotel and taking care of business, then we moved, then we had our 2nd child.

I've been totally off schedule with my routine and diet, I keep vowing to myself that the next day is the day that I get back onto my diet, maybe I will tomorrow?

I'm switching up my routine, as my workouts need to be shorter, so I'm going to cut back the volume, and I've been reading various journals and websites, and I may try HIT style training or something similar, 1-3 very hard working sets.

I'll be consistent again starting Monday. I gotta balance life now with the newborn.

Coke
08-07-2009, 03:01 PM
It's been a busy/****ty/exciting 3 weeks or so... got flooded out of my apartment, so the family and I were living out of a hotel and taking care of business, then we moved, then we had our 2nd child.

Wow man, you're being tested in a big way - wish you all the best with the new arrival!!

benno
08-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Gratz on the new arrival mate! All the best! Hope to see u back soon!

Time+Patience
08-29-2009, 06:33 AM
I have decided that if I want to be able to get my workouts in, that I have to have some very flexible workouts and a flexible schedule, while also having much shorter workouts now with 2 kids.

I decided to try workouts that are pretty similar to the HIT methods. I basically do one all out set, with very strict form, Rest Pause, and negatives to get the job done, and these are usually very painful to say the least.

I'll be posting a long list of workouts that I have to log in here...

August 12th

Rack Deads
405 x 3 ** definitely started off to heavy
315 x 8
225 x 5 Negatives

BB Rows
135 x 10/10/10/8/8

DB Curls
40 x 11 + 3 Negatives

Concentration DB Curls
25 x 8/8/8/8/8

August 15th

Decline HS Press
275 x 15 + 5 Negatives

Flat BB
135 x 10/8/8/8/8

August 18th

Squats
275 x 10 + 5 Negatives **I really felt these negatives

Leg Extension
85 x 8/8/8/8/8

Standing Push Press
135 x 8 + 4 Negatives

DB Upright Rows
45 x 8/8/8/8/8

***Legs were shot after this workout, the Standing Push Presses were hard to do without my legs wanting to give out.

August 22nd

DB Rows
85's x 15 + A lot of Negatives

DB 2 Hand Rows
85'x x A lot of damn Reps

Concentration DB Curls
35's x 10 + 6 Negatives
35's x Failure

**I had to workout at home, and all I have are a pair of 85's and Select Tech DB's. I did the 2 Arm Rows with just one 85, it was hard to grip it, but it was actually a nice feel for my back, it was very similar to a T-Bar Row.

August 24th

Incline Machine Press
155 x 12 + 5 Negatives

Low Cable Crossovers
30 x 10/10/10
20 x 10/10/10

August 25th
Squats
315 x 6 + 5 Negatives

Sled Calve Raises
135 x 10/10/10/10 + 5 Negatives after every set

Slow Squats
225 x 10/10

Lying Leg Curls
95 x 10/10/10/8
80 x 10/10

**I think I stopped short of what I should of done on my Squats. I'll get 10 reps next time.

August 28th

HIIT @ 12 MPH
60 sec sprint/75 rest
60 sec sprint/75 rest
90 sec sprint/ Cool down

Standing Push Press
135 x 10 + 5 Negatives

Sled Calves
140 x 10/10/10

T- Bar
95 x 12 + 5 Negatives

Cable Side Raises
30 x 9/9/9
20 x 10/10/10

Cable Rows- Underhand
120 x 8/8/8
105 x 8/8/8

Standing Box Jumps
3 sets X 10 jumps

**The HIIT felt great, my endurance is up a lot. 60 seconds used to get me good. I'll increase the workload or the time, or decrease the rest periods.

*** This workout really kicked my ass, I was drenched after my set of T-Bar Rows. I also am working on speed and quickness during the summer, by doing the HIIT and Box Jumps.

August 29th

BB Curls
70 x 27 + 5 Negatives

Close Grip BB Press
175 x 15 + 4 Negatives **Not getting the feel I'm looking for on these.

Standing Single Arm Cable Curls
40 x 10/10/10/10/10

Tricep Pushdowns
70 x 10/10/10/10/10

** I surprised myself on the BB Curls with 27 reps. I had to get this in before work today, so it wasn't the best workout, it was better than nothing.

I weighed 189 today. I lost to much weight over the past month, while eatting like hell during that 4-5 week stretch, I'm looking "skinny" not lean.

My diet is close to where it was in June and early July. If I can take my diet and body to where I want it I should get into the 170's, a weight I haven't been at in years.

Unholy
08-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Keep it up mang! Would like to see more frequent updates, hows body composition coming along?

Coke
08-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Good deal with the update(s)...no question you'll find a way to keep on track.

Time+Patience
09-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks Unholy and Coke, I'm trying to stay consistent, if it wasn't for that damn 4-5 week mishap, I'd would be very happy with where I was at, because I know I lost substantial muscle mass, while adding some fat onto my back, which is my "fattest" area, so more work to do now.

Tuesday Sep. 1

HIIT
3 x 60 sec Sprint @ 12 MPH
75 sec Sprint @ 12 MPH

HS Decline Press
315 x 15 + 5 Negatives

Flat BB
135 x 3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3

Wednesday Sep. 2

Leg Press- Wide
595 x 12 + 8 Negatives

Sissy Squats
BW x 10/10/10

Seated Leg Curls
75 x 12/12/12/12/12/12/12

**The Leg Presses hammered me really good. It's apparent that you can't go much higher intensity when you do 1 extremely tough set for Legs. My legs were feeling this everywhere the day after.

Thursday Sep. 3

HIIT
3 x 60 sec Sprint @ 12 MPH

Pulldowns- Wide
150 x 12 + 10 Negatives

Pulldowns- V Handle
135 x 10/10
120 x 10/10

Pullovers
60 x 10/10/10

BB Curls
80 x 20 + 5 Negatives

Cable Curls- 1 Arm
35 x 10/10/10/10

** My back and Bi's are definitely feeling worked after this workout.

I'm still dieting and trying to maintain the muscle. I'm also experimenting with this workout. In between my sets I do some intense stretching, so I try to stretch whatever muscle group I'm exercising and stretch the hell out of it. So far my chest and back are really noticing the results from it.

I like the HIT style routine so far, I'm throwing in 1-2 other exercises that I try to get 10 reps for, and I like it thus far. My body is sitll adjusting to the routine though.

If my diet goes well, and I think I'm comprehending my body right, I may enter a BBing competition next year, but I need to fully work on my weaker areas.

If I can get my strength up over the winter, I might also do a PLing competition before the spring, but I'll see how things play out.

Time+Patience
09-04-2009, 08:49 AM
I'll update the rest of my workout later....

Friday Sep. 4th

DB Side Raises
35 x 20 + 5 Negatives

DB Side Raises
30 x 10/10/10/10

Overhead DB Ext.
75 x 15 + 5 Negatives

Rope Pushdowns
80 x 10/10/10/10/10

** The negatives are extremely hard on the Tri Ext's and the DB Side Raises, I can barely resist the weight, it just wants to fall, but I like these 2 exercises for my HIT sets.

Coke
09-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Looks fine dude, got to be staying on it in here.

Time+Patience
09-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Benno/Coke/Unholy...

What's your opinion on strict number records for what you are eatting? Prefer it or not, helpful or not? I know Unholy does, I've seen his journal.

Wednesday Sep. 9th

DB Curls
45 x 20 + 5 Negatives

DB Concentration Curls
30 x 10/8/8/8/8/6/6

I actually wanted to do Legs on this day, but I couldn't find the time. I decided to get in some Bicep work at home, as they are one of my weakest bodyparts, and I always slack off on them, so I'm determined to hit them hard for months, and see where they go from here.

Thursday Sep. 10th

SLDL
235 x 15 + 5 Negatives

Leg Press (Feet were High and close together, Toes pointed out.)
625 x 25 + 5 Negatives

BB Lunges
135 x 10/10/10

**Boy this workout was a bitch. I woke up early and ran 2 miles, then did the SLDL's.

** On the Presses I was rounding my back to much, which did not feel good. I was really feeling these presses within the split of my Quads though, which I didn't expect. I took some long rest pauses, to find my form, but I could have done more, so I pussed out again.

** I'm trying to work on my Hamstrings still, it's hard to do HIT Quad/Hamstrings exercises in 1 workout, so I may continue to split it. My Ham's are feeling it, and the Lunges were magnificent.

I'm not keeping track of every morsel I eat, and I am contemplating on doing just that, but I am eatting what I need to.

I get a few extra carbs in when my son won't finish his damn food (I hate to waste good food, so I eat it; he needs to learn that Daddy is dieting, and that I can't eat his damn carbs, so he needs to eat them) Oh well, kids and their picky eatting.

Delt's and Tri's are up next.

muscled
09-11-2009, 10:55 AM
TP, you are a very strong OH presser and I will follow along. Nice work on the HIIT. I need to do more of that myself.

Coke
09-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Keeping track of what you consume may come in handy...probably a good idea to keep clearing the table of all leftovers, it's the only way to go no matter what imo, lol - :D...Nice leg day and bicep work.

Time+Patience
09-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Friday Sep. 11th

Push Press
145 x 15 + 5 Negatives

DB Side Raises
30 x 12/12/12/12/12

Skull Crushers

Tri Extensions
Finishing workout later

** I have to note that my whole posterior chain is hurting. Those SLDL's and Lunges worked out very well.

I can go heavier on the SLDL's though, and I didn't do my accessory Hamstring exercise.

I am also feeling where my Quads were being worked, right within the middle of my Quad, that split. I'm going to alternate Leg Position on these also, and work every area of my Legs.

*** I had to "cheat" on the Push Presses, but the negatives really hit me hard, and my Delts were pulverized by the end of this workout.

He's dead Jim
09-12-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm gonna get straight to the #'s...

My diet #'s will look like this...

Workout Days

Calories- 3,300
Fats- 25%
Carbs- 34%
Protein- 41%

Non-Workout Days

Calories- 2,800
Fats- 40%
Carbs- 20%
Protein- 40%

**I am going to be incorporating Olive Oil, Flax Seed Oil, and Fish Oil and Whey.

Any comments, questions, or concerns, regarding my Diet, training, or anything else, please shoot me a message.

How do you do your food; weigh it on a scale or just read every label and do the math? Can you point me towards a good system for measuring?

Give an example of breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between snacks. Do you have days where you literally just stuff your face and then get back on schedule in a few hours or the next day because of a stress of some sort?

galileo
09-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Looks good. I'll be anxious to see how things turn out for you. The picture labeled "110" is impressive, it looks to be a good bf level for you.

Time+Patience
09-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Monday September 14th

** Woke up early and put in 25 minutes on the Elliptical.

Pullups
BW X 8/8/8/7/7/6/6

Pulldowns- V-Handle

120 x 10/10/10/10

** Had to do Pullups, as my lower back and hammies were still recovering. The Pullups felt very good though, nice and controlled.

** The V-Pulldowns hit exactly where I wanted it to. My Christmas Tree is looking quite right.

Tuesday September 15th

Flat DB Bench
70's X 15 + 5 Negatives
*Technically did 20, as I still had to get the weight up for the 5 Negatives.

Pullovers
55 x 10
60 x 10/10

DB Hammer Curls
40 x 12
45 x 10
50 x 5/5

* I started to do a few sets of cable X-overs, but my chest was shot and extremely pumped.

** Did 6 sets of 100 meter sprints, felt quick for the 1st 4 sprints.

I am still tweaking my routine; my goal is to be able to workout more frequently, but with lesser volume than normal. Every once in a while I will skip the HIT session and do something different, i.e. 50 reps on Pullups.

My Bodyweight is down to 182 now, I am losing weight a little to fast still, so I need to up my calories a bit, but my leanness is almost the best it's ever been.

Time+Patience
09-15-2009, 03:36 PM
How do you do your food; weigh it on a scale or just read every label and do the math? Can you point me towards a good system for measuring?

Give an example of breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between snacks. Do you have days where you literally just stuff your face and then get back on schedule in a few hours or the next day because of a stress of some sort?

First off, I don't measure anything, I eyeball it. I usually use the numbers off of the label,and when I need to I estimate it.

I'm thinking of measuring though, and I will, whenever I buy a scale at least. I think measuring could keep one on top of their nutritional game more, and maybe open your eyes as to how much you are or are not eatting.

Currently I am trying to just log what I eat daily and see where I lie with my calories.

Here's a sample of what I might eat daily...

** I try to eat 3-4 different meats a day, and I'd like to get more Red Meat in, but money is non-existent right now, so more Peanut Butter, Tuna, and Milk.

3 whole eggs, pour some egg (white) beaters, couple pieces of steak/chicken/beef, veggies

Spoonful of Peanut Butter

Protein Shake w/Water

Steak/Chicken and Veggies

Tuna (2 cans) 1 avocado, and some extra's

Shrimp and veggies

*I may eat a handful of nuts, or another spoonful of Peanut Butter, maybe some Cottage Cheese.

If I know I haven't ate much, at some point in the day, I'll add in extra olive oil in somewhere.

I will only have a bowl of cereal, quinoa, or some carbohydrate if I know that I'll be working out or burning a lot of calories that day.

As for the binge days, I try not to go crazy for a whole day, that's if I can help it. I'll usually try and limit it to 2 meals, and only 1 if I'm very good. I try not to over binge on both Fats and Carbohydrates, you have to limit the fats if you're going pasta and bread crazy.

I can say I won't feel guilty if I have a hell filled binge out weekend, but I'm not competing or focusing on anything right now, so what the hell. With the way my life runs, I just don't have it in me to be perfect with every piece of food I eat.

If you need a little extra strictness in your life, start with the daily log www.fitday is a website a lot of folks on here use. There numbers are not always 100%, but it could make it easier for you.

Time+Patience
09-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Here are a few recent pictures. Question for picture posting pro's, these came out really blurry, any recommendations. I'm using photobucket, is that a good site? How do I condense them down, as that probably makes it worse.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/l097.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/Legs1.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/BackDB9-13.jpg

Brian999
09-15-2009, 09:02 PM
killer legs man!!! What expercise's would you say help develop them the most? Front squats? I do back squats and my quads get big around, but not in front like that, only slightly.

Coke
09-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Wow dude, excellent new shots!! - your hard work is paying big dividends.

Time+Patience
09-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Wednesday Sep 16th

Leg Press * Stance: Low and Close
755 x 10 665 x 10 575 x 5 Negatives

DB Walking Lunges
60 x 10/10/10

Leg Curls
80 x 12/12/12
95 x 8/8/8
30 x 50

Leg Extensions
20 x 50

** This is how I should be doing Leg Presses, it was extremely hard but it felt great, I was jittery and shakey for some time, this was the true definition of a HIT Leg session.

** I actually did the Leg Curls and Extensions later after work, by then my Quads were really feeling these EXT.

Thursday Sep. 17th

DB Military
60 x 12 + 5 Negatives

Overhead DB Ext.
75 x 15 + 5 Negatives

Cable Side Raises
30 x 12/12/12/12/12

Cable Pushdowns * V Handle
110 x 12/12/12/12/12

** I'm going to do BB Overhead Ext. next time, I get an odd pull in my shoulders w/the DB's.

** I'm getting a great feel in my Side Delts on these HIT Shoulder sessions.

My legs are not to soar from yesterday's workout, they feel just right actually. I'm going to do some Trap work later tonight.

Coke
09-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Fine job man, did very well both days.

benno
09-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey bro,

You are looking really awesome, great photos... Loving the wheels mate. Its great to see you back and hitting it up hard again. Hows your eating now?

LuNa
09-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Nice pictures!

Time+Patience
09-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Coke/ Benno/ Luna:

Thanks fellas, I'm trying to keep up with the consistency, I think of what could have been if it wasn't for that 4-5 week rough stretch. I would definitely be where I wanted to be right now.

I see you're getting some Back Benno!!! Keep it up.

On a side note, I've added up my daily numbers, and I'm getting in no more than 2,500 calories. I'm still trying to see if that's my ideal weight loss calorie count.

The 35 pounds I've lost hasn't all been fat, as I know I've lost a considerable amount of muscle.

I've been doing sprints 3 times a week, at the least. While I'll try to do extended cardio here and there, I love sprinting!

Sunday Sep. 20th

BB Rows
205 x 15
185 x 6 + 5 Negatives

Deadlifts
Conventional
275 x 3/3/3

Sumo's
275 x 3/3/3

BB Curls
90 x 19 + 5 negatives

1 Arm Cable Pulldowns
15 x 15/15

1 Arm Cable Curls
15 x 15/15

* The 205 on BB Rows wasn't that great, I have noticed my strength dip on these.

** I felt like doing some DE Deads, and the weight felt good. The Sumo's felt better than conventional; I have always been a Sumo Lifter.

*** The 1 Arm Pulldowns were great, I felt them right in the meat of the Lats.
Good workout overall, and I'm still hammering away at the Bi's

Tuesday Sep. 22nd
Incline DB Press
75 x 16

Side DB Raises
35 x 25

Incline DB Flyes
35 x 17

Overhead BB Ext
60 x 16

* The Incline Presses felt great, as did the Side DB Raises; I surprised myself with 25 reps, even with the Rest-Pause method.

** The Overhead BB Ext's felt much better than using the DB's, I can get a better stretch and feel in my Tri's.

*** I had to go with a quicker workout today, as I have a Scholarship Interview session later, thus no Negatives, but it might be bad doing negatives every workout, so I may skip the negatives here and there.

Coke
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Good luck at the Scholarship Interview session later...those efforts are looking damn good bro.

benno
09-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Coke/ Benno/ Luna:

Thanks fellas, I'm trying to keep up with the consistency, I think of what could have been if it wasn't for that 4-5 week rough stretch. I would definitely be where I wanted to be right now.

I see you're getting some Back Benno!!! Keep it up.

On a side note, I've added up my daily numbers, and I'm getting in no more than 2,500 calories. I'm still trying to see if that's my ideal weight loss calorie count.

The 35 pounds I've lost hasn't all been fat, as I know I've lost a considerable amount of muscle.

I've been doing sprints 3 times a week, at the least. While I'll try to do extended cardio here and there, I love sprinting!

Sunday Sep. 20th

BB Rows
205 x 15
185 x 6 + 5 Negatives

Deadlifts
Conventional
275 x 3/3/3

Sumo's
275 x 3/3/3

BB Curls
90 x 19 + 5 negatives

1 Arm Cable Pulldowns
15 x 15/15

1 Arm Cable Curls
15 x 15/15

* The 205 on BB Rows wasn't that great, I have noticed my strength dip on these.

** I felt like doing some DE Deads, and the weight felt good. The Sumo's felt better than conventional; I have always been a Sumo Lifter.

*** The 1 Arm Pulldowns were great, I felt them right in the meat of the Lats.
Good workout overall, and I'm still hammering away at the Bi's

Tuesday Sep. 22nd
Incline DB Press
75 x 16

Side DB Raises
35 x 25

Incline DB Flyes
35 x 17

Overhead BB Ext
60 x 16

* The Incline Presses felt great, as did the Side DB Raises; I surprised myself with 25 reps, even with the Rest-Pause method.

** The Overhead BB Ext's felt much better than using the DB's, I can get a better stretch and feel in my Tri's.

*** I had to go with a quicker workout today, as I have a Scholarship Interview session later, thus no Negatives, but it might be bad doing negatives every workout, so I may skip the negatives here and there.

Thanks mate - slowly getting there! :)

BB Rows 205 @ 15 reps is still pretty impressive mate! Keep up with the hard work. Are u leaning up for any reason? You plan on competing?

Also best of luck with the interview.

muscled
09-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Echoing the praise for the 205 x 15 BB rows. Wow!

Unholy
09-23-2009, 11:25 AM
You are looking pretty lean my dude. Just shrinking the size down using a program such as IRFANVIEW (free) will make em less blurry.

Time+Patience
09-26-2009, 06:18 AM
Thanks mate - slowly getting there! :)

BB Rows 205 @ 15 reps is still pretty impressive mate! Keep up with the hard work. Are u leaning up for any reason? You plan on competing?

Also best of luck with the interview.

The Scholarship interview went well, it was actually more a banquet and I was just a spokesperson for this new scholarship The University of Cincinnati just started which focuses on Education majors within Science and Math.

Benno,

I am trying to just lean out to see how competition ready I would look, and I would like to find my true weaknesses. In essence I am trying to diet like I am competing, but I'm not 100% consistent or strict yet, but I'm finding where my weak points are.

I would actually like to do a competition or 2 next year, there are a couple in the Fall season in Ohio, so I would like to have a clear competition in mind, which should help keep my focus even stronger.

Thursday Sep. 24th
Romanian DL's
215 x 20
235 x 26

BB Lunges
95 x 15/20/20

Sissy Squats ** Superset w/Lunges
BW x 12/12/12

Calf Raises
230 x 20/20/20/20

Leg Extension
55 x 20
40 x 10
25 x 20/25 **1 Leg at a time

** I used 25's on the Romanian DL's to get a longer Range of Motion. These did have a different feel than SLDL's. I felt it in my Hamstrings more at the beginning.

** I decided to focus more on my Hamstrings this workout, with detail Quad work, as my Hamstrings are lagging behind. Also with the drop in my bodyweight, I feel it's time to add some detail work, and I really want to get those deep cuts, and perhaps a few striations in my Quads.

** I do work my Calves regularly, I just never keep track of them, as somedays I just do them as a separate workout and just hammer out some reps. I plan on keeping better track of Calf work though.

I am going to try and get some more extended cardio in, or at least some form of cardio 4-5 X's a week.

My weight is hovering around 179-182. By November I should definitely be hovering around 175, which would put me at a very lean look.

Over the next few weeks, I will probably go with a higher rep routine, with more isolation movements, as I lean out more and more, I'd like to try stretching and contracting each muscle group. And honestly I've never been this lean, so I'd like to see how the higher reps work out at this point. Always have to experiment.

I will make a note for those that are looking for a new routine to try on for size, I really enjoyed the one I have been doing, but I believe it would have been even better if I was on a higher calorie diet. If you have any questions about my version of HIT training, just ask, I do recommend trying something similar to it.

Time+Patience
09-26-2009, 06:31 AM
You are looking pretty lean my dude. Just shrinking the size down using a program such as IRFANVIEW (free) will make em less blurry.

Thanks for the picture advice....

After following your journal and seeing your progress, it has inspired me to finally jump into a BBing competition, which I've wanted to do since I was a teen.

I'm thinking of doing one in a year from now. I'll have to pick your brain sometime about a few things in the future.

I'm still following Paul, keep it up.

Off Road
09-26-2009, 07:03 AM
I think that's the first time I've seen sissy squats mentioned outside of a magazine :evillaugh:

I like the hamstring focus...that's something that many guys forget to do.

benno
09-30-2009, 11:46 PM
I think that's the first time I've seen sissy squats mentioned outside of a magazine :evillaugh:

I like the hamstring focus...that's something that many guys forget to do.

Exactly - Real good point here.

Great to see your looking to step on stage, im sure u could put a good show if your consistant. Im looking to do one next year aswell - drive each other :)
Plenty of work to be done though, eating less and consistantly eating better foods will be my hardest thing. Im starting a push/pull/leg routine next week, my hips are getting too beat up from squats - so hopefully this change with bit more volume will give me results.

Keep up the good work.

Time+Patience
10-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Exactly - Real good point here.

Great to see your looking to step on stage, im sure u could put a good show if your consistant. Im looking to do one next year aswell - drive each other :)
Plenty of work to be done though, eating less and consistantly eating better foods will be my hardest thing. Im starting a push/pull/leg routine next week, my hips are getting too beat up from squats - so hopefully this change with bit more volume will give me results.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Benno.

I need to be consistent, but it sucks to say I have to take a week off or so. I won't completely shut everything down, but a few things are happening and money is tight, so it throws my whole diet off track, and I just can't get a good diet down, so I'm just winging it for the next 7-10 days until things pick up.

My last 2 workouts have been absolute crap also. I'm going to try and stick with some cardio to burn off the carbs that I'll be eatting, as that's all we basically have to eat.

I'll be back and rolling within 2 weeks I believe. I'll go about 4-6 more weeks of strict dieting, and then I'm going to do a clean bulk, I won't go as extreme as I did last year. I think 200 will be my cut off weight.

I'll update when I get back into the swing of things.

I still wanna see progress in other journals fellas!

Time+Patience
10-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm back and I'm ready to get into things...

Bodybuilding

I am going to enter into a BBing contest in 2010. There are a wide variety to choose from, but I am going to enter one in the latter part of the year. This will allow me to work on my weak areas for about 6-8 months, which will enable me to go through a few training cycles.

There are a handful of contests within Ohio, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania. I know of a couple in Ohio that I can enter within that time period. I'm also going to be in New York around August/September, so I'd like to find a contest out there and make the trip more worthwhile. (Unholy, if you are going to compete later next year, let me know where to go in New York, maybe we could both enter into a comp.)

Powerlifting

I also intend on entering into a PLing competition. I'll enter one within the later Winter months, assuming my strength comes to fruition. I used to be able to handle some big weights when I competed in NASA when I was 18-19. I believe some PLing routines, cycled in over the next few months, would do some wonders for me also. I remember the difference in muscle thickness and density when I first began PLing.

Training

I am going to return to the style of routine that I was doing 2 months ago (the one that I was really fond of). It was very similar to DC (Doggcrapp) Training, and even FST-7 I guess, but I have read up more on DC Training and I'm going to give that a shot, in it's actual form.

I am going to post up what type of lifting cycle I plan to follow, but I know it's a M-W-F split. That'll be up later.

** I plan on doing some cardio on the mornings that I don't lift. I hate how out of shape I was last year, due to never running or anything that resembled it (I felt like Jabba The Hut when I first started running again). The cardio should also help burn, as well as limit, fat.

Nutrition

As for what I shall be eatting, I won't change it much from what I was doing during my diet. I'll still follow the basic plan of eatting protein and fats each meal. I'll be adding more carbs to increase my calories, but I'll only add them around workout times, or high activity times.

I'll be doing a clean bulk. I'll log what I eat for a few days, and see where my calories are at. I assume 3,500 will be ideal, as I burn a lot of calories walking around campus.

Supplementation

I'll be taking ALN's Nitrean and Results, someglutamine, and BCAA's. 2 servings of Results adds about 600 extra calories, which is why I'm not changing my diet up much.

I don't want to gain to much bodyfat, so I'll be watching myself more closely. Depending on muscle gains, I intend to not surpass a bodyweight of 205. I would assume 180 would be my ideal competition weight, assuming I am able to add a good deal of muscle over the next few months.

I plan on hitting the weights hard. I've always known how to eat, and I've learned more about my body, but I've never been consistent with my training, so it's time to take the reins and drive this thing hard.

Here goes to testing new waters!

Coke
10-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Like that effort bro, good luck in future competitions.

Time+Patience
10-28-2009, 06:35 AM
Here is what my DC Routine will look like.

Workout A

Chest /\ Delts
Inc. DB Press /\ Side DB Raises
Flat BB Press /\ Military BNP
Wide Inc. BB Press /\ Military DB Press

Tri's /\ Back Width
Cable Pushdowns /\ Pulldowns
Overhead BB Ext. /\ Pullups
Skull Crushers /\ V-Handle Pulldowns

Back Thickness
T-Bar Rows
BB Rows
Rack Deads

Workout B

Bi's /\ Forearms/Brach's
Cable Curls /\ Reverse Cable Curls
Inc. DB Curls /\ DB Hammer Curls
BB Curls /\ Rope Curls

Ham's /\ Quads
SLDL /\ Leg Press- High Stance
HS Seated Curls /\ Squats
Lying Leg Curls /\ PLing Squats OR Hack Squats

Calves
Calve Leg Press
Calve Sled
Calve Machine

Here's a brief outline of DC Training- it's a 2 day split, A and B workouts, done on a M-W-F split (W/in 2 weeks you hit every muscle group 3 x's on an ABA BAB sequece.)

You do 1 exercise for 1 set to failure. You utilize the Rest-Pause method (2 short breaks within the set, going to failure again both times). After your set you do an extended stretch, up to 60-90 seconds. For Legs and Back Thickness exercises you only do 4-8 reps. It states to do 1x20 on the Quad exercise, but I'm doing it for Back Thickness also.

You are suppossed to up the weights or reps every time you do that exercise again.

Here are what my first 2 workouts looked like.

Monday October 26th - Workout A-1

Incline DB Press
75x10-3-3 45 second stretch

Side DB Raises
40x10-5-5 60 second stretch

Cable Pushdowns
85x11-4-4 45 second stretch

Pullups- Wide
155x6-4-4 35 second stretch

T-Bar Rows
170x5-4 100 x 17 60 second stretch

** I like the speed of this routine. I also like how my intensity is able to hold up for the whole workout.

Wednesday October 28th - Workout B-1

Cable Curls
120x13-5-6

Reverse Cable Curls
120x10-4-4

SLDL
255x11-5-6-3

Leg Press- High Stance
800x8 30 second stretch 675x20 30 second stretch

Calve Leg Press Raises
405x8-4-3 10 second stretch at the bottom of each rep

** This was another good workout. I think I'm a fan of the HIT and Low Volume style of training. I like to get to the gym for short but frequent workouts, and that's what I'm able to do with this routine.

This is different from what I had done, but I'm loving this routine. Now I'm up at 5 am on my workout days and working out at 6 am, and I'm done within 1 hour after warming up. It's quick, which I love. I'm looking forward to getting to these exercises again to see how much heavier I can go.

Off Road
10-28-2009, 06:55 AM
I also like short intense workouts. You can really keep your mind on what you are doing. Good luck with the DC routine, I've heard great things about it.

Coke
10-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Nice job for both days dude.

Time+Patience
10-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Friday October 30th

Flat BB Press
185x6-3-3 60 Sec Hold

Smith BN Military
145x5-3-3-2 60 Sec Hold

Overhead BB Ext
70x7-3-3 60 Sec Hold

Cybex Pulldowns
190x7-3-3-2 60 Sec Hold

BB Rows- Underhand
205x5-2 135x10-5-5 60 Sec Hold

** Again, short and sweet. I really loved the Cybex Pulldown machine, I could manipulate that machine to hit a few different areas within my back. That will definitely be my go to exercise when I start cutting again. I hate Flat BB Bench, but I need to get back into it if I'm going to enter a PLing competition again.

This workout didn't have the same feel as the last 2, maybe it was because I was lifting on campus?

Coke
11-01-2009, 10:47 AM
This workout didn't have the same feel as the last 2, maybe it was because I was lifting on campus?

No doubt about it, the enviroment you lift in matters in a big way..fine training man.

Time+Patience
11-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Monday Nov. 2nd (On Campus)

Incline DB Curls
35x10-5-5 60 Sec. Hold

DB Hammer Curls
50x6-4-3 60 Sec. Hold

HS Seated Leg Curl
100x9-5-3 60 Sec. Hold

Squats (PLing Style)
365x3-1 60 Sec. Hold
245x11-5-4 60 Sec. Hold

Calve Machine Raise
170x10-5

** I was happy with the Squats, but the bar was rather slick, so I had to re-rack and re-adjust the bar a few times. I had a great "groove" on them, I've never had one before when I was PLing; maybe more lifting experience has helped me better "feel" the Squats. I'm going to make sure to keep the bar on my back for my Friday Squats, and get my 20 reps straight (I'm sure I subconsciously whimped out this set of 20's).

** I love the Hammer Strength Leg Curls- just love em.

** I really liked doing the DB Incline Curls, these really hit my Bi's good, which I need a lot of work on.

*** Great workout overall, even though on Campus.

Coke
11-04-2009, 09:15 AM
It would be sweet if we had the HS leg curl machine at our gym...that's a good workout bro.

Time+Patience
11-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Coke,

I just started doing these at my school within the past few months and they are great! Lying Leg Curls get old, and you don't get the same feel as with the HS.

Wednesday Nov. 4th

DB Military Press
65x9-5-4 60 Sec. Stretch

Flat DB Press
85x6-3-3 60 Sec. Stretch

Pullups
BWx9-4-3 60 Sec. Stretch

Skull Crushers
90x4-3-2-1-1 60 Sec. Stretch

T-bar- Wide Grip
160x6 60 Sec. Stretch
90x20

** I'll be varying my workouts between gyms so I can utilize specific pieces of equipment. I'm training at 3 different places now to get it in, but I can get away with 2. I like the variety at times.

** The Military and Flat DB Presses felt great, and I was happy with the weights used, I'd definitely like to get over 100's on Flat and 80's on Military.

** I started with 2 much weight on the Skulls, but I'll just need to hammer more reps out next time around.

** The day after, and I'm feeling it everywhere. I'll say I'm surprised how well this routine hits each muscle group with 1 set. I like this Low Volume Higher Frequency a great deal.

Off Road
11-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Do you pay fees for 3 different places?

Time+Patience
11-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Off Road,

No I don't pay for 3 different places, I work at Urban Active which has a few branches which I'll train at, and then I pay my University of Cincinnati campus fee's, so I try to utilize the Rec Center there since I live less than 1 mile from there, but it's not open as early, and I just don't like it as much.

I may have to switch a few things around with which exercises I do on specific days, so I can make sure I'm at a specific gym so I can use the various equipment that I need.

Friday November 6th

BB Curls
90x7-4-3

Reverse BB Curls
65x10-5-4

Sumo SLDL
315x7-3-3

Seated Calve Raises
90x10-3-2

Lying Leg Curls (Toes Pointed 1/2 ROM)
130x12

Squats (BBing)
315x5
225x15-5

** I'm getting at least a 60 second stretch after every set, which is rather tough, thus I won't be listing that every workout.

** I was in a great mental state for this workout, I just came off a high of Ace-ing my Math test. I took an energy pill and had an apple, so my energy was through the roof.

** The Sumo SLDL's were great. I really loved these, but they are tricky as the form needs to be perfect to avoid any injuries.

** The Sumo SLDL's and the high energy came back to bite me during Squats. When I went for the 225x20 set, my legs were absolutely shaking under the bar once I got into the teens. So I had to re-rack again and finish the set. My legs were absolutely tight after I did my Quad stretch.

L-O-V-I-N-G this routine!!!:clap:

Off Road
11-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Nice squatting. Question, why do you do the SLDL before squatting? I always do them after squatting, that way my back is fresh for squatting and my legs aren't an issue with the deads. Just curious. I love any routine with high rep squats :)

Coke
11-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Interesting, you work at Urban Active in Cincinnati and attend the University down there - there are a couple of Urban Active locations here in town (Toledo).

Workouts are ace, keeping yourself on the mark.

Time+Patience
11-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Off Road,
On this routine it stated to do your Quad dominant exercise last in the workout, so that's why I'm trying it this way. On the other hand it allows me to hit my hamstrings hard, which I do need. I don't go all out on the Squats like I do with the other sets; it's just one set 4-8 reps, then dropping down for a set of 20.

Coke,
There are a few Urban Active's spread around the midwest; it's large in Cincy and Northern Kentucky, but it looks to be going out of business soon, that would be my guess.

Monday November 9th

Behind Neck Press (Smith)
155x10-5-4

Incline DB Press
80x7-4-3

Cable Pulldowns
180x9-5-5

Calbe Pushdowns
90x10-4-4

T-Bar Rows
170x8
100x21

** I have to make sure I do any Smith Machine workouts anywhere but at campus, their machine has a bad drag to it, that's why that first workout there sucked.
** I was happy with my Presses. I'll definitely be happy to be doing 85's on the Incline, and possibly 185 on the Behind the Neck's.
** I definitely upped my weight on the Pulldowns. I rarely do Pulldowns, but that's probably the reasoning for my Lat width shrinking.
** I always love T-Bar Rows, and I'll always do them. It's nice not trying to diet, thus being able to handle some heavier weights.

Off Road
11-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Off Road,
On this routine it stated to do your Quad dominant exercise last in the workout, so that's why I'm trying it this way. On the other hand it allows me to hit my hamstrings hard, which I do need. I don't go all out on the Squats like I do with the other sets; it's just one set 4-8 reps, then dropping down for a set of 20.
Sounds good. I like doing a heavy set followed by a set of 20 too. Good conditioning.

Coke
11-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Coke, There are a few Urban Active's spread around the midwest; it's large in Cincy and Northern Kentucky, but it looks to be going out of business soon, that would be my guess.

The one just opened here and the other has been here a couple of years...can you elaborate on why they may be possibly closing shop.

Time+Patience
11-14-2009, 07:53 AM
The one just opened here and the other has been here a couple of years...can you elaborate on why they may be possibly closing shop.

Well here's a rundown, within about half of the gyms in the area (5-6), in one day when the sign was posted they cut half of the Group classes and cut the Childcare hours from about 30 per week down to 10 per week. Which had a number of members bitching at me, the minimum wage paid employee (I still don't understand why people do this). While they also cut the hours of the gym.

Then about a month later, they cut out the Childcare and Group classes completely, also effectively immediately after they posted a sign.

I'm not a business economist, but when I've seen moves like these within other businesses, they were usually desperation moves which eventually led to being bought out or closing.

I'm not sure, but it could actually be a well thought out business decision, but I'll say I wouldn't believe that myself.

Time+Patience
11-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Wednesday November 11th

Cable Curls
85x8-5-4

Rope Cable Curls
72.5x9-5-4

SLDL
295x9-5-4

Leg Press
800x8
675x7 630x5 585x8 **1 complete set.

Calve Leg Press Raises
425x10-5

** I went to workout at a closer Urban Active branch, and the Leg Press was different, and they didn't have the right attachment for reverse cable curls (I can't use that short straight bar). I will just need to keep my workouts at the same branches, so I can see how my weights are progressing.

** I placed my feet high on my last time doing Leg Presses, and I like them a lot, but I couldn't get the same feel on these Leg Presses, and I had a bad pull in my back, so it sucked. I just couldn't get a feel for this Leg Press.

** I was happy to see my SLDL go up 40 pounds!

** I'm going to go back to where I work for this particular workout, to keep better track of my progress.

Friday November 13th

Flat BB Press
195x8-3-3

Side DB Raises
45x8-4-4

Overhead BB Ext.
70x10-4-3

Cybex Pulldowns
205x7-3-2

BB Rows- Underhand
215x8
145x20

** Very solid workout overall, at campus.

** Still disappointed w/my Flat BB Press strength, but it's moving up. My chest has dropped in thickness considerably from what it used to be, probably the lack of PLing based routines.

** I cheat a little on the Side DB Raises, but I'm feeling them today. I may have to incorporate more heavy Side DB Raises to see what they do for my Delt's.

** The back exercises felt better and stronger than last time around. I realized I don't do much as in Pulldown exercises, which I need to incorporate more.

After 3 weeks of this routine, still LOVING it. After this routine, I might work in a PLing routine to get my overall strength up, and I do love my heavy Deads and Squats, and I could use the increase on my Pressing.

Coke
11-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Doing fine, way to stay on the move in here.

Time+Patience
11-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Monday November 16th

Incline DB Curls
40x10-4-3

DB Hammer Curls
50x9-4-4

Seated HS Leg Curls
115x8-4-4

Machine Calve Raises
10x10-8-6

Squats- PLing
385x2-1
255x16-4-3-2

** I was really squeezing this workout in for the day. I was wearing a wife beater, so the bar was really slipping off of my back, especially during the 255 set. I jumped to 385 from 365, the previous workout, which was probably to high of a jump for this workout.

** The Hammer Curls felt much better and stronger than the last workout.

**The Seated HS Leg Curls felt really good also. I'll definitely keep a lot of focus on my Hamstrings from here out.

Wednesday November 18th

Military DB Press
70x6-3-2

Pullups
BWx13-5-3

Flat DB Press
85x6-4-3-2-1

BB Skull Crushers
90x7-2-2-2

T-Bar Rows (Medium grip)
175x7
105x20-5

** The DB Military set was very tough, but it felt "just right". I was disappointed with the Flat DB Press, I was hoping to get a few more reps.

** The Skull's felt much better this time around. I'll stay with the same weight next time, but shoot for more weight.

** The T-Bar Rows felt great! I think I'm really starting to master these. I'm almost to 4 plates, and there is some upper body movement, but no swinging.

Coke
11-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Good effort(s) bro, nice numbers.

Off Road
11-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Good squatting...I almost missed it amongst all that iso work :evillaugh:

Time+Patience
11-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Friday November 20th

BB Curls
95x10-4-4

Reverse BB Curls
75x10-4-2

Sumo SLDL **Smith
355x6-4-3-1

Seated Calve Raises
115x12-5

BBing Squats
315x8
245x16-4

** The Reverse BB Curls are hard to go heavy on, so I'm using wraps on these, but I love the feel of them. I was happy with the BB Curls, I'll be hitting 100 next workout. I'm noticing the difference in my Bi's altogether

** The Squat Racks are always occupied at campus, for instance people doing Upright rows with 5's on each side. So I decided to just use the Smith machine, which I almost had to do the week before, but I'm just gonna stick with the Smith Sumo's from here out. The bar itself is thicker, so it's harder to grip, and the bar wants to rotate back into the locking position, so I have to get comfortable with these. Overall, I like them better than Sumo SLDL off of the floor.

** I upped the reps on the Squats. I really wanted to hammer out 10, but my back was beginning to round so I stopped the set. The same thing began to happen on the 20 rep set, so I had to re-rack and finish it off.

Thus far, I'm able to see some improvements, my legs looked very thick and full this morning. I'll probably go through 2 more rounds, which will be 4 more weeks, and I'm thinking of getting back onto a PLing routine to build that added thickness.

Not sure what type of PLing I'd try, I'll have to go to the drawing board and do some searching and reading.

Off Road
11-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Good workout, especially the squatting.

As far as power lifting routines, with your numbers, I'd definately think you could do very well with Wendler's 5/3/1 method. I'm enjoying the heck out of it, simple and effective.

Coke
11-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Glad to hear you've put on more leg size guy.

Reverse curls are great for the bicep-forearm tie-in...solid session overall.

brihead301
11-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Good stuff in here man. From your avitar, you're startin to look pretty big and ripped. What's your diet like? (I always ask everyone that question, I dunno why)

Time+Patience
11-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Good stuff in here man. From your avitar, you're startin to look pretty big and ripped. What's your diet like? (I always ask everyone that question, I dunno why)

When I was dieting I was following a diet more along the lines of the Low Carb/Med-High Protein and Fat.

It worked great, and I saw some results quickly within the first 3 weeks. I was sidetracked a little bit. But overall the diet worked well, I tried to manipulate a lot of things.

I'd say overall I was getting 250 grams of protein in, no more than 50-100 carbs daily, then I tried to get about 100 grams of fat. I was around 2,400 calories roughly then. I made sure I had some days where I added some extra carbs, but I never really felt carb or energy depleted throughout, and I had limited carb up days.

Right now my diet isn't drastically different, I limit my carb side dishes. I need to get back on eatting my veggies. My biggest change is using ALN's Results, which adds a good 600 calories a day, so I didn't change a great deal in my diet. My weight has gone up about 5-6 pounds in the past 6 weeks or so. I've stayed rather lean throughout.

Time+Patience
11-24-2009, 04:37 AM
Monday November 23, 2009

Military BNP (Smith)
185x5-3-2-2

Pulldowns
195x6-4-4

Incline DB Press
85x7-4-4

Pushdowns
95x7-3-2

T-Bar Rows
185x5
115x10-5-5

** This was another great workout to add to the list.

** I made a big jump on the Military BNP; I just decided to up it, and I jumped up 30 pounds from my last workout, but I didnít rep it as much, but still 30 pounds!! Iíll stay at 185 for the next workout.

** My Incline DBís surprised me also, I was able to up it from 80ís and get 1 more rep in total. Not sure if Iíll jump to the 90ís next workout?

** Iíve really been neglecting my back of Pulldowns, I had not done them for months until this routine. After a few more months, I should definitely see some better width, and I already am. And Iím also hoping to see some added thickness to my back via the heavy T-Bar Rows.

Coke
11-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Super session, it is great seeing you raise up that way.

Time+Patience
11-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Wednesday November 25th

Cable Curls
145x10-5-4

Reverse Cable Curls
130x11-5-4

SLDL
335x5-3-2

Leg Pres
865x10
725x20

Calve Leg Press
455x12-5-5

** I went back to the gym where I did this first workout at. The numbers are much higher compared to the workout on October 28th.

** The biggest difference was on the Leg Press. I was able to get back to the high stance with no dis-comfort. Comparing the weights I upped it 65 pounds for the 10 reps, and 50 pounds for the 20 reps. I was stoked with how I was really grinding these reps out. They felt damn good.

** I felt like pushing it on the SLDL's and I jumped up another 40 pounds from the previous workout. They were tough, but I'd rather do less reps on these as I know I'll round my back the higher the reps.

** I'm also happy with the increases on the 2 sets of Curls.

All I can say is DAMN!! Things are going well right now. My strength is increasing and I'm still feeling refreshed on every workout. I'll take some pictures after 3 more weeks of it, and hopefully the difference can be seen.

Off Road
11-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Big time Stiff Legged Deads. I'm still afraid to go that heavy, but I'm getting more brave about it.

Time+Patience
12-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Big time Stiff Legged Deads. I'm still afraid to go that heavy, but I'm getting more brave about it.

I've changed my approach to the SLDL's. I don't go for the ultimate stretch like I used to, but I make sure I'm feeling my Hamstrings being worked. I'd say give it a shot and go heavier, but once my back starts to round I stop and regroup myself.

Friday Nov. 27th

** I had every intention of working out on Friday, but I was out of town, Memphis, and I couldn't get in touch with any gyms that were open early. I got in touch with Anytime Fitness, but the guy wasn't in until 10 am, and we were getting our day started, so I had to skip.

Monday Nov. 30th

DB Hammer Curls
55x5-4-3

Incline DB Curls
45x7-4-3

HS Seated Leg Curls
125x8-3-3

Sled Calve Raises
210x15-5

PLing Squats
365x6
275x14-6

** I was happy with both sets of Curls, and I'm enjoying the Incline DB Curls a great deal.

** The Leg Curls and Calve Raises were good, but I get a strong cramp in my hips on the Leg Curls, which is probably due to going heavy, I'll need to stretch my hips more.

** I lowered the weight a bit to up the reps, which felt much better with the 365. If I had a partner I would have had more confidence to get 1 maybe 2 more reps. On the 275 set, my lower back was completely fatigued. I guess I'll never get 20 reps straight, but I don't want to drop the weight and do 20 easy reps, so I'll continue to do it like this I guess.

Wednesday Dec. 2nd

DB Military
70x10-4-4

Flat DB Press
90x8-4-3

Pulldowns (Machine very similar to the Cybex)
230x8-3-3

Skull Crushers
90x10-5-4

T-Bar- Chest Supported: Wide Grip
160x5
90x10-5-5

** The DB Military and Flat DB weights felt great, maybe it was a good thing to take Friday off. I'll be upping the weights on these next workout.

** The Skulls felt extremely good also, I like getting 10+ reps on Skulls, I don't like the lower reps.

** The Pulldown machine felt great, but the T-Bar rows were just odd, and I couldn't get a good groove, it will have to do for now.

My weight is sitting right around 192, which I figured would happen after a lot of eatting last week, but I still have a great deal of vascularity, but I'll need to slow down my weight gain. I'll be stopping the creatine after I finish this tub of Results, so that will be a drop of 500-600 calories in itself.

I'm thinking of 2 more cycles of this DC Training which would equate to another 4 weeks. I have a long break from school coming up, so I'll be able to rest and hit the weights even harder, and my results have been coming along great, so I don't want to stop. 2 more cycles would put me at 10 weeks of heavy lifting, so I'll take an easy week after that.

Coke
12-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Nice couple of workouts, holding steady in here.

Time+Patience
12-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Time to play catch up...

Friday December 4th

BB Curls
100x8-5-3

Reverse BB Curls
90x4-2-2-2

Sumo SLDL (Smith)
375x6-3-3

Squats (BBing)
335x6
245x19

** The BB Curls were good, but the Reverse are still awkward, I can either get it or I can't, there are no slow grueling reps with these.

** The Sumo SLDL's were AMAZING, and this is a PR, as I've never done them before, but I've been hitting a new PR any SLDL workout.

** Squats felt good, I was shaking before the sets, and I wasn't really sure about doing them this week. I manned up and went for the 245 for 20 straight, but I put that hump in my back on the 19th and said F' it.

Monday December 7th

Flat DB Press
95x6-3-3

DB Side Raises
45x10-5-4

Cybex Pulldowns
220x7-4-4

Overhead BB Ext
75x6-5-4

BB Rows (Underhand)
220x5
110x18-5

** I was excited to rep the 95's, I'm getting closer and closer to 100's.

** The Db Side Raises are hard to jump up in weight, not sure if I'll jump to 50's.

** Love the Cybex Pulldowns. The Overhead BB Ext's are just moving along.

** The Rows were alright, I just might not be a fan of the underhand grip, but I'm seeing how they mesh with my back thickness before I scrap them. I don't have to love every exercise to do them.

Wednesday December 9th

BB Curls
100x8-3-3

Reverse BB Curls
90x5-4-3

SLDL
345x5-3-3

Leg Press
900x4
760x11

Calve Raises - Leg Press
495x12-6-6-6

** I had to hit certain exercises on this day as I was training a friend at a different gym, and everything was different. That's probably the reason for limited progression on the Curls.

** SLDL's increased. I'm so pumped to be repping mid 300's on these, I know my Hamstrings will be looking good when I compete.

** Now let's talk about Leg Press, the warmups were good, but when I got to 900 I felt that pressure on my lower back, so I cut my reps and my depth a bit. I tried to get my 20's, but it was a done deal. I decided to try some Hack Squats as I wasn't done with my Quads, so I had my feet together and did 315 for 10 deep reps. I'll be doing Hack's next workout period.

Things have been moving well, but changing gyms is counterproductive, oh well. My weight is still right at 191-192, I may need to add a little extra into my daily eatting, especially after I cut the RESULTS, which will be a loss of 600 calories.

Off Road
12-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Nice to see you back.

Coke
12-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Good deal on keeping things up-to-date in here...see that you are doing well with the efforts bro.

Behemoth
12-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Very impressive workouts, you're killing those squats. What are the current thoughts as far as competitions go next year. Still thinking you're wanting to hold of until later in the year?

Time+Patience
12-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Very impressive workouts, you're killing those squats. What are the current thoughts as far as competitions go next year. Still thinking you're wanting to hold of until later in the year?

Thanks. I try to put the effort in on Squats since most don't put a lot of effort into them.

I'm still going to hold off until the latter half of the year to compete. I've never been this consistent with my working out, so if I can stay consistent until the end of 2010 then I should have my physique to where I've never had it before.

I also have intentions of competing in a PLing competition in April, so I'm trying to alter my training for that now. We'll see how things turn out.

Time+Patience
12-31-2009, 04:55 AM
Since I've been on break from school I have been on the computer less, so I'm not going to post all of the workouts, just some of the main aspects from them. I did my de-load week and took a little extra rest, so I'll be ready to go over the next few months.

UPDATE: I am going to enter a BBing contest March 20th in Northern Ohio, in Lakewood.

NPC Natural Ohio (Drug Tested)

I know someone else entering the show and we will have some family going already, so I decided I would enter also. I have just over 12 weeks to get ready for it, so I'm starting to clean up my diet now and getting my training set.

Over the course of the past 2-3 weeks I've hit some heavy lifts, for me....

Rack Deads
455x1 495x MISS

Conventional Deads
425x1
435x1

Flat BB Press
245x1
255x1

Over the course of the past 2 weeks, I've increased my volume, and it's TOUGH compared to the HIT style routine I was doing. I just may become a HIT lifter, I believe I personally like it better. I've been reading a lot of different material over the past few weeks, and everything I've read has it's advantages, but from what I've done lower volume workouts and more frequency is ideal for me, but I will try more things throughout the years, hopefully I find what works best for me.

Coke
12-31-2009, 06:41 AM
UPDATE: I am going to enter a BBing contest March 20th in Northern Ohio, in Lakewood.

Awesome seeing you enter into competition, good luck man!!

Off Road
12-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Good luck on the contest. We'll be rooting for ya.

Behemoth
12-31-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm stoked to follow this along brother. You say the competition is in lakewood? Isn't that near cleveland? Are you doing this one and the one in boardman? I'm probably mixed up somehow.

Awesome progress on the pulling, do you feel that rack deads help improve you pulls from the floor or do you do them for hypertrophy reasons? I've never done both rack pulls and deads in the same workout, always one or the other, but have been thinking maybe they would help boost my dead up in weight maybe?

How tall are you, and what are you weighing right now?

Time+Patience
01-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Awesome progress on the pulling, do you feel that rack deads help improve you pulls from the floor or do you do them for hypertrophy reasons? I've never done both rack pulls and deads in the same workout, always one or the other, but have been thinking maybe they would help boost my dead up in weight maybe?

I didn't do the Rack Deads and Conventional Deads in the same workout, I just posted some of the weights I hit over the Winter break. I enjoy doing both types of Deads, but when I do full Conventional Deads I tend to do lower reps, but I'll go higher reps on Racks, just a preferrence.

I haven't stopped working out (like I usually do), I just need to update things, now that I'm back in school (when I'm in school I'm more organized and have computer access also.)

I've been following a Westside BB style routine over the past 2-3 weeks, just to jump start my strength again on certain exercises I haven't been hitting.

Monday 12/21 @ University of Cincy

Conventional Deads
315x5
335x4
355x3
385x1
410x1
425x1

PLing Squats
225x8
275x6
295x6
(Plus Belt) 315x5x2 Sets

Hypers
BWx15x3 Sets

Incline DB Curls (45 Degree)
40x6/5/5

** I'm trying to get into the Conventional Deads more, with the PLing Squats right after. These help my Sumo Deads a great deal.
** On the PLing Squats I decided to try them beltless for the first few sets, and they felt great.

Thursday 12/22 @ Grove City

Close Grip Flat BB
135x3x8 Sets

Floor Presses
225x3/3 235x2/2 245x1

Push Press
155x5/5/5

Pullups (Neutral)
BWx8/6/6/6

Incline DB Press (30 Degree)
70x12
75x8

BB Skulls
70x15/15

Cable Rows (Close)
120x10/10

DB Side Raises (1 Arm @ a time)
30x13/13

** The Push Presses were very hard, I'm going to have to get back into these sometime down the line.
** For me, this was a great deal of volume and I really felt it, but it was a nice change of pace.

Monday 12/28 @Skytop

Con. Deads
315x4
365x3
385x2
415x1
435x1

PLing Squats
225x8
275x7
295x5
(Belt)
315x6
335x5

Pullups (Wide)
BWx8/7/7/7

Hypers
BWx15/15

Low Cable Rows (Close)
135x11/12

Incline DB Curls (45 Degree)
40x7/6/5

** Was very pleased with the 435 on Deads, I haven't done this in maybe a year, so I was happy to be at this weight.
** It's odd doing such lower weight on the PLing Squats when I was just repping 365 a month ago, but the Heavy Deads and the higher # of sets, and shorter rest take makes a big difference.

Time+Patience
01-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Continued Updates....

Tuesday 12/29 @ Erlanger

Flat BB
185x6
205x5
225x2
235x1
245x1
255x1 (I've done better)

Chin-Ups
BWx8/7/7/6

Incline DB Press (30 Degree)
60x15
65x12

Upright BB Rows
95x12/12

Overhead BB Ext.
70x10/10

Leaning DB Raises
30x12/10

DB Pullovers
60x10/10

** On the Pullovers I'm trying to focus on my chest doing the initial pull, not my Lats, as that area of my Pecs are "softer" than the rest.

Thursday 12/31 @ Skytop

Box Squats
225x2x10 Sets

Sumo Deads
225x3x8 Sets

BB Curls (Wide)
80x12
90x10

Leg Press (Feet Low & 6-8")
545x10
595x12

Hammer DB Curls
40x10/10

** I'm trying the Box Squats and Sumo's w/my toes pointed straight, which does give a different feel in the movement.
** Leg Press - I love the feel of these w/this stance. I'm trying to keep a closer stance, for the "sweep" on the Quads.

Saturday 1/2 @ Skytop

CG BB Press
135x3x8 Sets

Pin Presses
205x3
225x3/3
245x3
255x3
275x1

DB Pullovers
55x10/10/10

Pullups (Close)
BWx10/7/6/6

Flat DB Press
60x10
70x8
80x6

T-Bar Rows
140x10/10

[IOverhead BB Ext.[/I]
Bar x 12/12/12

** I was trying to squeeze this workout in before I opened the gym, so it was very rapid and a lot of supersetting sets, but it was something to get in.

Monday 1/4 @ UC

Con. Deads
315x5
365x3
385x2
405x1
425x1
445x1 !

PLing Squats
275x5
295x3
315x3
335x3
355x1

Pullups (Wide)
BWx6/6/6/6

Seated DB Curls
45x8/8/8

Hypers
BWx15/15/15

Preacher BB
50x8/8

** I'm trying this method of doing some form of Pullups and varying reps 4-5 times a week (I have a thought process behind it).
** Since I haven't done Convetional Deads in such a long time, I'll go with this being a PR for me. It came up well, I could have probably got 455, maybe I'll go one more Heavy session on these.

Overall, with my training, I might stick with this routine through next week, but then I'll be changing it due to dieting. I won't be able to go heavy like this for to long. I have a few ideas of what I'll be doing training-wise over the next 12 weeks, but this is my 1st contest, so it's all going to be an experiment.

I've cleaned up my diet, and I'm following more of a Low-Fat diet (Partially due to my wife, since she has a problem cutting carbs out of her diet). I'm going to monitor things, and I may overhaul my diet completely or manipulate a few things. Right now, I am finishing off some Creatine, so when that's out (Probably 2 weeks), then that will cut out a good 500 calories a day. So that'll be 1 change coming up, and I'll continue to see how things look.

Off Road
01-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Excellent deads and squats.
How far off the chest are the pin presses?

Time+Patience
01-07-2010, 05:30 PM
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/Jan2010FrontLax.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/Jan2010Front.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/12-09Legs.jpg

Here are some more recent pictures... late December/January.

I'm happy with my Quads in these pictures, my Right Leg looks better overall. I also need to work on the teardrop, but I'm chalking that up to genetics, but I'm going to start working on those extra hard after the competition, mainly to get the left one to "show" better.

The 2 front pictures really surprised me, but I'd say that I've responded EXTREMELY well to the DC Training, so I'm going to develop my routine around a lower volume and higher frequency type of training.

I uploaded the pictures to my photobucket account, but the links are not working? Sorry that it doesn't just pop up. I'll be working on it.

Time+Patience
01-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Tuesday 1/5

CG BB Flat
135x3x8 Sets

Pullups (Neutral)
BWx6/6/6/6/5/5/4/4

Pin Presses
225x3/3
235x3/3
255x3
275x2 !
295xMISS

BB Rows (Close)
195x10/8/8

1 Arm Overhead DB Ext
30x10/8/8

** I superset the CG BB and Pullups, and these felt good back to back.

** I really liked using the Close Grip on the BB Rows, I wanted to do T-Bar's, since I've really become attached to those, but the close grip BB Rows felt just as good.

** I was happy to nail the 275x2, but disappointed with the 295 Miss, but they felt good throughout.

Thursday 1/7

Box Squats
225x2x10 Sets

Sumo Deads
225x3x8 Sets

BB Curls
(Wide)
60x10/10/10
(Close)
60x10/10/10

Face Pulls
100x15
120x12/12

** I superset the Curls and Squats for 6 sets, which was pretty hard and tiring.

** I was supersetting sets of Calves with the Deads, so I ran 8 sets of Calves w/higher reps. I realize that I should be using more weight on the Sumo's, my bad.

** I did the Face Pulls with 2 Single handles, which felt very nice. I'll find a time to place these in my future workouts.

Things are coming along well, I think I'll devise my new routine this weekend. I'll definitely get back into Powerlifting after my BBing contest.

Coke
01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Killer update(s)...looking super in the new shots and should do damage on stage.

Behemoth
01-07-2010, 06:40 PM
AWESOME updates brother. You look fantastic, much leaner than I thought you were. You are definetly going to look trenemdous 12 more weeks @ your show... Even now with a really good tan you'd look pretty great!

Your quads are just disgusting, they're gonna look even sicker on stage man. And awesome workouts too, I'm jealous of your deads!

Why were you in Grove City? That's not too far from me brotha! And how many freaking gyms to you have access to? There's like 4 or 5 listed!!!!

What's a face pull?:hide:

Time+Patience
01-08-2010, 04:38 AM
Here are some other pictures I couln't get posted last night...

The Back and a Side Chest Pose... (The door at my gym has been raggedy, so I thought I heard it opening, that's the reason for my surprised expression!) I'm hoping that dropping the weight adds more definition to the Back Double Bi shot, and the Side Chest, I need to perfect my posing as to how I to play to my strengths and hide my weaknesses.

Time+Patience
01-08-2010, 04:39 AM
Killer update(s)...looking super in the new shots and should do damage on stage.

Thanks Coke, I'm trying to get to some large poundages like you!

AWESOME updates brother. You look fantastic, much leaner than I thought you were. You are definetly going to look trenemdous 12 more weeks @ your show... Even now with a really good tan you'd look pretty great!

Your quads are just disgusting, they're gonna look even sicker on stage man. And awesome workouts too, I'm jealous of your deads!

Why were you in Grove City? That's not too far from me brotha! And how many freaking gyms to you have access to? There's like 4 or 5 listed!!!!

What's a face pull?:hide:

Thanks B. I'm not sure how far I can get my weight down to though, as 176 would get me into the Middleweights, but being 178 would make me the lightest of the Light Heavies. I'm hoping I can get real Lean and Dry, but we'll see if I really know how to do it over the next few weeks.

I was in Grove City, which is outside of Columbus, I have familly there, but there's a Grove City in PA isn't there? I can get to so many gyms because I work for Urban Active which is a Chain Gym, so there are a handful of them, and I'll run around the city a lot, and I have access to the campus Rec Center, and there's a rinky-dink gym at my apartment complex.

Face Pulls involve using the higher pulley on a Cable machine and choosing your attachment and literally pulling the handle's towards your Face, which are great for the Rear Delts and the Upper Traps, but you squeeze horizontally rather than vertically, which adds a different dimension. Try em out sometime, you may like them, or maybe not.

brihead301
01-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Lookin pretty jacked there man! I just saw that you're going to be doing a BB competition. Good luck with that one man! Lookin forward to hearing the results.

Time+Patience
01-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Excellent deads and squats.
How far off the chest are the pin presses?

Thank you, I'm pleased with the Conventional Deads, I'm looking forward to Sumo Deads in a few months (that's my strength!)

I'd say that my arms are at a 90 degree angle similar to this L .

I like how they feel throughout the triceps. I can't wait to get back into a PLing routine.

I also have been looking more into Wendler's 5/3/1 routine, I'm going to read more about it over the course of a few months, I'll be looking for his book sometime (hopefully used, being a married, father of 2, college student doesn't allow a lot of extra $$$.)

Behemoth
01-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I can't imagine prepping for a contest while providing for a wife, two kids and going to school. That is some drive mang.

Coke
01-10-2010, 04:09 AM
I can't imagine prepping for a contest while providing for a wife, two kids and going to school. That is some drive mang.

No doubt, that is deserving of extra props!! - great new shots too.

Time+Patience
01-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Behemoth, Coke, and Brihead

Thanks all. Most say it sounds tough going back to school with a family, but it's been a pleasure going back to school. It's mentally stimulating, it's enjoyable to meet new folks, and it's a vacation from working a full-time warehouse job plus overtime (which is what I was doing before I went back to school).

Friday 1/8 @ UC

Flat BB Press
185x5
205x5
225x2/2
250x1
260x1

Pullups (Wide)
BWx5x5 Sets

Chipups
BWx5x5 Sets

Incline BB Press
175x6/6/5

Upright BB Rows
135x10/10/10

Close Grip BB
155x10/10/10

** I was supersetting the Pullups and Chins with the Flat BB. It felt good, I've really got the Pullup and Chinup movements down! I can manipulate them to focus wherever I want to.
** I went heavy on the Upright Rows, and liked it, some "swaying" was involved. The Incline BB and Close Grip BB will be apart of my next routine for sure, they're good movements I just don't utilize enough.

Coke
01-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Would like to see you add weight to the pullups...make no mistake, you are doing great, the session rocks.

Off Road
01-10-2010, 08:35 AM
I went back and got my degree and teaching credential in my late 30s. I also had a family, kids, and a job. It's never too late and it pays off. Good for you.

Time+Patience
01-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Would like to see you add weight to the pullups...make no mistake, you are doing great, the session rocks.

I will definitely be taking that advice. You're right, I've been doing BW for to long. I tried a 15 lb DB between the feet, but I'd like to add 25-45 pounds, so I'm not sure how that will go without a belt. Might have to rig something up.

Here is the split and routine philosophy that I'll be following.

Day 1- Pull
Day 2- Push
Day 3- Legs

I'll be utilizing a HIT philosophy, with A LOT OF VARIETY. For every workout I'll choose 3 exersises for a total of 5 sets per bodypart. The first 2 exercises will consist of a majority compound exercises, Low Reps (1-8). The 3rd exercise will most likely be a Stretching or Contracting exercise done for Higher Reps (20-30).

I will not do the same exercises/sequence for 2 workouts in a row, whether it be a new exercise or a different order. My goal is to incorporate a high VARIETY of exercises, angles, movements, and feels within each muscle group worked.

The frequency will most likely be 3 On/1 Off, but I'll incorporate extra rest days when needed and as the weeks pass.

The idea is to hit it heavy and often. I'm trying to incorporate both high and low reps to hit all of the muscle fibers, with the focus on the lower reps.

I have to update this weeks workouts, but so far so good.

Time+Patience
01-15-2010, 08:14 AM
I went back and got my degree and teaching credential in my late 30s. I also had a family, kids, and a job. It's never too late and it pays off. Good for you.

I'm very happy with the decision of going back to school, not 1 regret, and it's been about 15 months since we came back to school (the wife is also back in, Nursing). It sucks being strapped for $, but I'm utilizing the government's resources as much as possible.

I'm actually going into Education now, Middle School Math and Language Arts.

I am also currently just beginning a portion of my student teaching. Not to bad thus far, but I know how very different things would be if I was there for more than 2 days for only 4 hours, or if the classroom was completely mine.

Are you teaching a certain age group or subject area?

Time+Patience
01-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Today's weigh in was 190 and some ounces. I might be losing a bit to much weight. I can already see a difference so far, but I burn more calories than I originally thought, so I may add another snack or meal in to balance things out. I want to get down to 176, which I'm sure I can hit.

I want to get close to 180, as long as the mirror reflects what I'm looking for, by the end of February. Being close to that weight by March would allow me to just cruise into the show and make the Middleweights.

I think it will be in my best interest to start keeping better track of my daily calories (I don't like Fitday though). I'm trying to eat 4 solid meals, 1 shake, and then 2 smaller meals. As I said I'll bump the meals to 5, or add another snack in there.

Monday 1/11 @ UC

BB Rows (Close Grip)
225x10
235x8

Paramount Pulldowns
190x8/8

BB Curls (Close Grip)
100x5/4

BB Preacher (Straight Bar)
50x10
60x5

Straight Arm Pulldowns
60x25

Face Pulls
155x10/10

Kneeling Overhead Cable Curls
(Continuous Dropset)
80x10
70x3
60x6
50x6

** I really like the BB Rows w/a close grip. It was a good workout overall. The Face Pulls were putting some stress on my rotators, so I'll have to drop the weights and just really focus on the pulling motion, not the weight.

Tuesday 1/12 @ UC

DB Military
65x10
70x6
80x3

Incline BB
175x6
180x5

HS Military (Sat facing the back pad)
160x8
165x6

Close Grip BB
185x5
190x5

HS Decline
270x7
280x6

Cable Overhead Ext
105x9
110x5

Cable Upright Rows
100x20+5

Incline DB Flyes (30 Deg.)
35x18

Paramount Tri. Ext.
100x20

** I started my working set to early on the DB Military. Also, I really liked the feel of sitting reverse on the HS Military- as you press through the motion, with the arch it travels it recruits more Medial Delts, rather than when sitting in the normal position, you recruit more Upper Chest. I really don't like many exercises outside of DB Presses for Chest, but I need to incorporate some variety here. The high rep sets killed me this workout.

Wednesday 1/13 @ Skytop

Duck Squats
315x6
325x5
335x4

SLDL
315x6
325x4

Hack Squats (Facing Pad)
405x5
455x4

DB Leg Curls
50x10
60x8

Leg Extension & Curl
70x25 (For both)

** I like the Duck Squats, which use a close stance with the toes pointed out. The Hack Squats had a good feel to them, while the DB Leg Curls felt very good, but the larger circumferenced DB's bang your shins. I'm really trying to hit my Quads from every stance, angle, and exercise possible. For Quads it seems like the possibilities of options are endless, so I'll be banging away at them.

Off Road
01-16-2010, 07:12 AM
I started of teaching 4th grade. I then taught 1st grade reading intervention and that was a bunch of fun. Now I teach K-12 independent studies at the alternative education center. It's a mixture of home school and teacher directed. Most of my students are "at risk" and that's very rewarding. My specialty area is History and Algebra.

BTW...nice workouts. I can't wait to reach my strength goals and I will start a more "bodybuilding" focus.

Coke
01-16-2010, 08:11 AM
All looks good, like the overall plan too except it would server you better to go either: mon-wed-fri for example, or 2-on, 1-off, 1-on, 1-off or something like that just to have the space between efforts. It just worked well for me in the past is why I suggested it.

Good luck, you in competition will cause damage.

Time+Patience
01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
All looks good, like the overall plan too except it would server you better to go either: mon-wed-fri for example, or 2-on, 1-off, 1-on, 1-off or something like that just to have the space between efforts. It just worked well for me in the past is why I suggested it.

Good luck, you in competition will cause damage.

I don't have a strict routine, as in I'll rest when I know I need it, and I'll go at it if I feel good that day. I won't go by a strictly 3 on 1 off split. I'll never know what I like until I experiment.

I know this much thus far, I really like the low volume higher frequency.

Saturday 1/16 @ Skytop

Pullups- Nuetral
+25x8
+35x6

HS High Row
250x6/6

Cable Curl
150x9
165x5

Seated DB Curl
50x4/4

T-Bar Row
105x20

BB Spider Curls
35x15

** This was a nice workout. I'm not sure on the HS Rows, I want to go heavy, but these aren't grooving how I'd like them-I just love my BB Rows and Pullups though. The Biceps portion of the workout went great! I need a lot of 'em as my Bi's lag.

Sunday 1/17 @ Bellvue

Flat BB
205x10
225x5

HS Inc (Wide)
250x7
280x3

HS Military (Facing-Wide)
160x8
180x5

Military Press (Techno Equip.)
125x4
130x4

Overhead BB Ext.
70x12
90x4

Stretch Skull Crushers
80x8
90x4

Flyes (Techno Equip.)
90x15

DB Side Raises
30x25

Rope Pushdowns
42x15

** I was started off to light with 205 on Bench, but I was happy w/225x5 (I've changed my form to the typically elbows flared out, rather than pushed into my sides). I'm getting better w/the Overhead BB Ext., I'm really getting the feel for these, and the Stretch + Skulls involve getting the weight to basically touch the floor, these were great! I was also stoked to get the DB Raises for 25. I need to continue to focus on the Upper Chest throughout.

Martin Luther King Jr. Monday @ Bellvue

Smith Sumo SLDL
365x6
405x3

Hack (Back 2 Pad)
385x6
415x4

Squats (Shoulder witdth + Toes pointed straight)
345x4
365x4

Leg Press
495x10/10

Leg Ext. and Curl
70x15 Drop 50x10 70x25

*** AWESOME Workout!! I was feeling it today! I decided to try 405 on the SLDL's for some reason, but I hammered 2 out, and then had trouble w/the 3rd. My Quads were just about shot after the Hacks - this version hit 'em hard. I never do Squats this late in a workout, or after this much fatigue, so I was deligtfully surprised to get 365x4- I was really feeling them. I was having problems on the Leg Press (I get a good deal of low back pain on this particular Leg Press) so I ended up staying with a low and close stance.

I recently had a female friend of mine ask me to train her, so I told her that she would have to just workout with me. I bring this up as the past 2 workouts have been EXTREMELY productive. I know I'm only 17 days into dieting, but my strength is the same if not higher overall. She jokingly said that she must be inspiring me, whatever the case we'll be working out together as often as possible. She has great form on everything, and she pushed herself which I really like. My wife doesn't get the concept of pushing yourself through the workouts like my friend.

Off Road
01-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Those workouts show some serious strength. That's awsome. Maybe I need to find a lady friend to workout with :)

Coke
01-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Having a good training partner is super, make the best of it while you can because things do change for various reasons...props on the efforts.

brihead301
01-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Uh oh, is this an affair in the making??? Just kidding. Ya, it's nice to find people that have the same passion as you. I can definately see training someone inspiring you to work harder yourself. Good stuff man.

Nice work in here these last few sessions!

Time+Patience
01-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Wednesday 1/20 @ Bellevue

Pulldowns (V-Bar)
190x6
200x4

Pulldowns (Wide-Techno Equip.)
220x7
225x6

Pulldowns (Extra Wide)
70x15 Drop...
60x10

HS Preacher Curls
80x7
85x6

BB Curls (Close)
90x8
100x4

Seated DB Curls
40x13 Drop...
30x12

*** I wanted to focus on the Vertical pulling exercises, so that's where I went w/this workout. I've fallen in love with the Close-Grip back exercises-they just hit my back where I want 'em to. I liked the Preacher's followed by BB Curl's, but the DB Curls aren't ideal for a high rep ending set (just didn't like 'em).

Time+Patience
01-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Uh oh, is this an affair in the making??? Just kidding.

My wife actually set it up, I joked w/her about what she would do if me and this female ended up running off together. She just said she would have to kick her own *****, due to her being the one to give me her phone #.

I do wish my wife had the drive of this female; my wife had great drive in 2007 and looked GREAT, but she hasn't been back there yet. I'm waiting... :nod: yes I'm waiting.

Those workouts show some serious strength. That's awsome. Maybe I need to find a lady friend to workout with :)

Make sure the wife approves! :evillaugh:

I do have to state that my new partner has a physique that is already... well... :drooling:. She'll only get better with some training, and YES my eyes do wander, but I do keep my spotting techniques "married man" friendly.

Having a good training partner is super, make the best of it while you can because things do change for various reasons...props on the efforts.

When I had a consistent partner in 2006, we both had our condition to near perfection. Had some of my best workouts w/him. We used to lift in the basement of my old place, and all we had was a Squat Rack, an Adjustable Bench, the necessary weights, and a heavy bag. He had me Squatting 335x20!

I don't know how long it would take me to get back to those type of #'s.

Coke
01-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Nice job with the pulldowns and curls bro.

Behemoth
01-21-2010, 06:28 PM
How is the diet going? You lookin leaner? I can't wait to cut... but the grass is always greener on the other side.

Behemoth
01-21-2010, 06:51 PM
and 335x20 is disgusting. Can't wait to see you hit that again

Time+Patience
01-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Catch up, catch up, catch up. It's been a busy week. A couple of things have happened, and I'd say they've all been counter-productive towards my goals of entering a bodybuilding competition.

Here goes... I went out with some friends last weekend, and everything was perfect up until 11 pm. I ate everything I was supposed to, while sipping on rum (minimize the calories), and I also had a great workout earlier that morning, but my tolerance is very low now, which I found out the next day. I ended up throwing everything back up, and continued that trend throughout Sunday. I couldn't hold anything down, so Sunday was a complete waste, and it trickled down through the week. Suffice it to say, I won't be drinking until after my competition.

This week was killer at school, with a big homework assignment and a test this week. Lastly, we moved into a new apartment this weekend, and my friend bailed on me, so I ended up moving everything w/some help from the wife.

Needless to say my diet was quite "OFF" this week, so I under ate quite a bit, and I ate some foods I wouldn't eat if I was on top of my diet.

On to the workouts for the past week...

Saturday 1/23 @ Skytop

Incline DB @ 30 Deg.
95x7
100x4

Smith BNP
175x6
185x3

Smith Wide INC
185x7
195x6

BB Lockouts
225x3/4

Cable Pushdowns
90x11
95x8

Machine Side Raises
95x10
100x10

Incline BB Ext @ 75 Deg.
40x20

Upright Rows
90x15 Drop 80x15

Cable X-Overs
50x15 Drop 40x10

** This was a solid workout! I was stoked with the Inc. DB's. I don't think I've ever gone this heavy! The Behind Neck Presses went great, and the Incline Skulls of high reps were very nice. I think I just might be a high rep type of person for tricep's, I may have to give higher reps a try more frequently for triceps.

Monday 1/25 @ Bellevue

Smith Front Squats
235x6
255x4

Jefferson Squats
215x8
225x8

DB Walking Lunges
75x6/6

Hack Squats
315x10 Drop 225x10 Drop 135x5

*** Definitely a sub-par workout, but this was my first day of keeping my food down, so I was a bit under-nourished. I was satisfied with this workout. I'm still trying to get the feel for Front Squats, maybe I'll try those as a high rep exercise to see if I can get the focus where I want. The Jefferson Squats are extremely KILLER! I cut the workout shorter than normal, so I'll just have to kill my Legs next workout.

Wednesday 1/27 @ Hyde Park

HS Seated Rows
270x5/5

HS Mid Rows
180x8
200x4

HS High Rows
230x5/5

T-Bar Rows
125x8
135x7

Behind Neck Pulldowns
160x10 Drop 120x15

DB Curls
50x4
55x2

BB Preacher Curls
60x8/7

BB Curl
60x15 rest +10

*** This was a solid workout. I decided to just go down the line of Hammer Strength equipment since it was available to me. I really liked the T-Bars towards the end. The bicep portion of the workout went well, I've been neglecting myself of Preacher Curls over the past few years. They are here to stay. A solid workout overall, but I'll still say I can't get the right "feel" within my Back like I want.

Time+Patience
01-31-2010, 09:49 PM
How is the diet going? You lookin leaner? I can't wait to cut... but the grass is always greener on the other side.

The grass is still green thus far, it's nice seeing the lean-ness take over and see the various veins reappear, but I'm still a long ways away from the very grueling portion of the dieting aspect.

But the diet is going so-so, you'll see from the post above how this past week just threw everything into F up mode. I'm going to buckle down this week and start gradually cutting out the carb's. I plan on just taking in carbs within the first 2-3 meals, and then post-workout. I'm just monitoring everything between the mirror and making sure my weight is fine.

I woke up Saturday 1/30 weighing in @ 185, which I figured since I had a bad week, so I lost to much weight, which I know wasn't all far. I think I'lll be around 172-175 around the contest, but my next "grading period" will be Feb. 13th.

I have to find my camera. I took recent pictures, but I can't find my camera after the move?

Time+Patience
01-31-2010, 09:58 PM
I remember where I put my camera! I knew I couldn't have lost it!

I'm satisfied with the dieting thus far. The definition is coming through more clearly. I'm probably about 3 weeks away from my all time leanest physique. I'm very curious as to how my body responds to everything when I get my bodfat % lower. My arm definition has always been iffy at best, so hopefully that begins to separate better.

My strong points should be my quads, lat width, and vascularity. I have my weak areas, but I don't believe that they are lagging to the point of being explicit weak areas.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/jan23016.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/jan23013.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/jan23014.jpg
Quads...

Abs...

and Back Double Bicep...

Time+Patience
01-31-2010, 10:22 PM
Front Relaxed...

Front Double Bicep...

Most Muscular...

Behemoth
02-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Great workouts brother, and some obviously even greater work with the diet...! You're looking tremendous. I'm astounded by the seperation in your quads, they're going to look unreal at competition bodyfat, I will put money on best in your weight class hands down. You're leaning out very well, you can really tell in the last three. Especially in the obliques in the MM. How many weeks out are you? Whats the schedule for a tan looking like? Whats the game plan for the posing prep?

AND UPDATE MORE!! :)

Off Road
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Looking BIG.

Time+Patience
02-02-2010, 04:53 AM
I'm astounded by the seperation in your quads, they're going to look unreal at competition bodyfat, I will put money on best in your weight class hands down. You're leaning out very well. How many weeks out are you? Whats the schedule for a tan looking like? Whats the game plan for the posing prep?

AND UPDATE MORE!! :)

I'm sort of surprised also at how my quads separate this well. I need to add more size to my hamstrings over the next year. I'm thinking of splitting my quads and hams in different workouts. I do believe that in the Middleweight class that I could have some of the better legs there, even with small calves.

As far as a countdown I have 7 weeks to go. I'm looking to cut out my carbs, or fluctuate them throughout the week.

LOL, I have been tanning! It's coming along slowly, but I can see that I'm picking up some color. I need to get in 3 times a week to get my base.

As far as posing, I have been trying to just go through the mandatory poses 1-2 times a week. I will probably jump that up to 3-4 times a week starting this week. Posing is hard! It will get you breathing hard in an instant.

I should be able to do a better job of posting as I can access the internet at my new apartment.

Time+Patience
02-02-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm still up and down with exactly when I can train, due to my schedule changing weekly. I am still going with the lower volume, but I haven't quite been consistent with the frequency. I may start doing just 2-3 heavy sets w/low reps per bodypart. I might up the reps fro tricep's.

My diet is still consisting of meals with a meat and half of a cup of rice. I've been eatting oatmeal, egg whites, Met-RX bars, a protein shake, I'm almost done w/the creatine, and I'll eat yogurt with peanut butter here and there. As I've stated before I have gone off of the diet a few times, but my body can handle a binge rather well.

Thursday 1/28 @ My apartment complex

Flat BB
205x6
215x5

BB Military
136x6/7

Inclind DB
85x7/7

BN Military
95x18

Leaning DB Raises
40x8/8

Overhead DB Ext.
75x10
85x7

*** This was a piss-poor workout, I probably shouldn't have done anything, but I did and just went through the motions. Everything felt heavy. And I had to maneuver some things around to be able to do these exercises as my complex's gym, it is a very "make-shift" gym to say the least.

Monday 2/1 @ Hyde Park

45 Deg. Leg Press: Feet low and close
635x10
700x6

HS Leg Extension
70x10/10

Front Squats
225x5 Drop 205x5 Drop 185x5 Drop 135x5+5

*** Oh me goodness! This workout was grueling! The Leg Press started my quads out right. I tried some methods of where I want to place my hands, and I'll take Behomoth's word - don't place them under your ribcage, so I am going to grab the handle on the top of the back support. My quads were hurting, and then I jumped into the HS Leg X and that killed them thoroughly, then I wanted to try the Front Squats w/higher reps, and these SUCK, in a good way. I applaud those that go heavy and with higher reps on Front Squats.

Coke
02-02-2010, 06:24 AM
... we moved into a new apartment this weekend, and my friend bailed on me, so I ended up moving everything w/some help from the wife.

Damn, where are good friends when you need 'em?

Them are some great shots man, props!

Time+Patience
02-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Damn, where are good friends when you need 'em?

Them are some great shots man, props!

I was a bothered by him not showing up. He never even called to say he wouldn't make it, or even a "sorry I didn't show up". I usually do as much of the moving as I can by myself, I've learned that people really hate helping during a move.

I think I'm holding onto my size decently. I'm really looking forward to March 1st! That should be the leanest I've even been. I think I've been rather relaxed with my diet, but I'm seeing solid results, but I'm almost 6 weeks out, so I'm unsure when things will slow down? I'll probably start adding a second cardio session through the week. I'm currently doing an early Saturday morning session.

Onto the workouts... which were both awesome BTW.

Tuesday Feb. 2 @ UC

I had an extreme amount of anxiousness and energy after teaching my first lesson today at the middle school (converting LBs into KGs and calculating Usain Bolt's speed during his 2008 200M run.) I just had to put that energy to use, so I wanted to get a quick workout in before I had to get to class.

CG BB Rows
2255x9
245x5+3

SLDL (6" stance)
325x4
345x3

Smith BB Rows
185x10
195x9

HS Leg Curl
90x15
100x10

Pullups V-Bar
BWx20-25 total

*** The BB Rows felt good and my strength is still up. The SLDL's felt great, I'm surprised I'm still handling these weights as well as I am. I'm still waiting for my hamstrings to explode and increase in size because I've increased the weights on SLDL's tremendously. I then had a larger angle at my waist on the Smith Rows, so I was more upright - I used a wide grip and pulled the weight up higher to feel it in my upper back. I then just did Pullups until I had to get to class.

This was a very good workout, I was able to hit all of the angles that I wanted to for my back. I also think I'm going to stick with splitting my Quads and Hams into 2 different workouts. I am able to hit hams after quads if I don't do any PLing Squats or high and wide Leg Presses. My quads were really feeling it after Monday's workout, but nothing else was fatigued.

My lifting has really turned into instinct training, but the one key is still the lower volume, and heavy (when I'm feeling it at least).

Coke
02-03-2010, 06:35 PM
This was a very good workout, I was able to hit all of the angles that I wanted to for my back.

No joke, solid back day.

Unholy
02-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Which show are you doijg exactly. Looking lean and right on schedule at 7 weeks out.

Is anyone helping you with your diet?

Post up all your mandatory shots if you can. I would be glad to help as much as I can.

What are your macros at currently?

Time+Patience
02-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Wednesday 2/3@ Skytop

DB Military
75x7
80x5

Incline BB
185x5
205x3

Military Press-Lifetime (Facing Pad)
115x8
125x6

Flat DB Press
90x4
95x4

Incline DB Raises
25x20

Flat Press-Lifetime
175x6 Drop-Drop-Drop (lost count, but it felt good)

*** This was another great workout. I'm still happy with the strength everywhere. I hear that your strength dwindles over a diet, so I'm waiting, but it's coming down. The Incline BB felt good, I used a closer grip and it made a different. The Incline DB Raises were also very good for an ending exercise, I'll definitely try different angles also. Lastly, the Flat Bench on the Lifetime machine was a great for a finishing exercise, I was really able to contract my chest just right.

Time+Patience
02-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Which show are you doijg exactly. Looking lean and right on schedule at 7 weeks out.

Is anyone helping you with your diet?

Post up all your mandatory shots if you can. I would be glad to help as much as I can.

What are your macros at currently?

Things are cruising along nicely.

For my diet, I'm going at it alone. I'm really not a fitday kind of person, as I just don't care to keep track of everything. I have a good idea of what's in everything and I just calculate a lot of things in my head throughout the day. I really take to the Shawn Ray philosphy of "eatting clean and going by the mirror". It might be to my advantage to keep track of everything to be even more precise with everything.

If I were to guess as to what I've been taking in each day I would estimate it to be 250-300 grams Carbs, 250-300 grams Protein, and 50 grams Fat, which would be around 2,500-3,000 calories. It's been going really well actually, workouts are good, energy is good, and progress is coming along, so I may actually have to re-think of changing anything in terms of ratio's. I will start to stay closer to 2,500 calories a day. If I do make any changes it will probably be taking out carbs from 1 meal on my off days.

I'm really getting stoked for competing! I'm getting ready to order some posing trunks. I'm trying to decide on the color, I'm thinking blue, green, red, purple. I need my tan to kick in soon!

I'll post a couple mandatory shots to see if they are playing to my strengths or not.

Ya'll just critique the little things if you can. I don't really have a knowledgeable BBer or lifter to give me any advice, so it's definitely a learning process for me.

Coke
02-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Good luck, the posing alone is gonna be killer. The whole dialing in process with the diet takes tremendous effort too, glad to see you are down for it all.

Unholy
02-04-2010, 07:31 PM
If you make any changes I recommend dropping some protein and keeping carbs high as long as you can!

Time+Patience
02-04-2010, 08:01 PM
If you make any changes I recommend dropping some protein and keeping carbs high as long as you can!

Is that you speaking from experience? Why would you say that? I'm curious to know.

I assume to keep them in my diet as they allow me keep my energy high, as well as keeping my muscles full, and my workouts great.

I responded rather well to the low carb diet as well last year. I'll just re-evaluate things in another week and as long as I'm seeing progress I'll keep it that way.

Unholy, how low was your low for daily calorie consumption? I recall reading some days under 2000 calories. That seems so miniscule! How close to the show were you eatting such low calories?

Unholy
02-04-2010, 08:08 PM
4-5 weeks out I was at 1750 cals/day.

I was at 2000 for the 4 weeks prior to that.

I had 1 refeed/week where I bumped cals to ~3000 and carbs up to 600-700g

My macros were 55/200/210 then 35/165/200.

Time+Patience
02-06-2010, 04:20 AM
Unholy,
I'll definitely be keeping the carbs in my diet as long as possible. I decided that I will have some rotation days though, high and low carbs. My energy has been great, and my workouts have been awesome, outside of 1 workout.

Thursday 2/4 @ Skytop

CG Flat BB
185x8/8

Preacher BB
80x8/7

Skulls + Stretch
80x10/10

Concentration DB Curls
40x7/7

Smith Overhead Ext.
105x8 drop 85x10 drop 65x7

Cable Curls
100x15 Dropset to no end

*** This was a very good workout. I might continue a plit similar to what I ended up doing this week Legs, Back + Hams, Chest + Tri's, Arms. I'm very happy working w/80 on Preacher BB, as I've usually been weak on these. The tail end of the workout really picked up a lot of steam, all 4 exercises felt great! I do like the Smith Overhead X, with the track position it allows a better stretch at the bottom. There's minimal DOMS from that workout which I'm surprised about.

Coke
02-06-2010, 02:14 PM
That workout is not looking bad man.

Time+Patience
02-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Sunday 2/7 @ Hyde Park

Front Squats
(Wrapped Knees)
225x5
245x3

Hack Squats
(Back to pad, Close stance)
445x4
495x2 Drop 405x5

HS Leg X
50x20

Hack Squats
(Wide stance, changed angle)315x10 Drop 225x5

*** This was another great workout! I wanted to try using my wraps for the Front Squats, and they felt ok. I wanted to try going real heavy, I was actually hoping to get 275 while I was fresh. I'll go without the wraps next time and try and compare. The Hacks felt great and tough, but I did them again at the end of the workout as I realized I can change the platform position, and I wanted to compare the feel in stance and angle variation. The angle change allowed more quad involvement.

I have been murdering my Quads as of late! I'm going to keep the Front Squats in for nearly every Quad workout. I'm going to see if I can tell a difference in development by implementing them.

My calories have been sitting around no higher than 2,800 for the past few days, so things have been good on that front. I eat more calories when I'm up for longer hours throughout the day.

Unholy
02-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Yea dude, this is where it gets tough. You need to keep yourself busy and not get too preoccupied thinking about food. I know thats what killed me the most. Everyone around me was lookin at me funny cause all I would talk about it food. Getting unhuman conditioning comes at its cost I guess.

Behemoth
02-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Not to psych you out bc you're doing great but pauls dead right the leaner you get the crazier your mind thinks. You loathe people you see eating a solitary skittle and think to yourself what a fatass as you crave them the rest of the day lol. Lock and load and remember just how short these final 6-7 weeks actually are in the grand scheme of how great you'll feel after stepping off that stage proud of what you accomplished. Can't wait to see those compeition photos bro

Time+Patience
02-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Yea dude, this is where it gets tough. You need to keep yourself busy and not get too preoccupied thinking about food. I know thats what killed me the most. Everyone around me was lookin at me funny cause all I would talk about it food. Getting unhuman conditioning comes at its cost I guess.

Lock and load and remember just how short these final 6-7 weeks actually are in the grand scheme of how great you'll feel after stepping off that stage proud of what you accomplished. Can't wait to see those compeition photos bro

I am beginning to see myself always thinking about my next meal! It is starting to get crazy. This is the week where I'm really going to gauge myself and see where I'm sitting weight, physique and progress wise.

I'm going to take Paul's advice and keep the carbs, but I'm going to check in by the end of the week with a picture update and see if I should be cutting down my calories down closer to 2,200 rather than 2,800.

It's probably about time to make that change in my diet anyways.

My hamstrings and glutes have a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG ways to go. I've noticed the fat coming off, but I want them to be clearly separated and defined (I don't know about striations back there? That has to be tough to do).

Unholy
02-07-2010, 08:08 PM
600 is a big drop.

This is why tracking is so nice. I would drop 200-400 cals.

Drastic changes are not where its at.

Coke
02-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I have been murdering my Quads as of late!

No kidding dude, leg sessions have been especially tight.

Time+Patience
02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
I've been tracking my calories more closely the past few days, and I'll be at 5 days straight of around 2,500 calories. I would say that I was over that amount prior, so I'll run with 2,400-2,500 calories for the next 7-10 days. The next calorie drop will be the subtraction of the creatine I've been taking, which is around 300 calories; I'll be done with that within 7 days, so next week I'll be arond 2,200 calories a day.

I'm going to read up on what supplements will come in handy for these last few weeks. Right now I'll be adding BCAA's, glutamine, CLA. I'm looking into Bete-Alanine and I may just switch the creatine to a Creatine Monohydrate and drop it around 7-10 days out. But I might look into some NO product, or just Arginine.

I'll be updating some pictures this weekend, but I'm definitely seeing the difference from week to week.

On a side note, I see how hard it is to get your glutes and hamstrings in condition! They are lagging behind everything else, hopefully they start to come in better by March 1. I really don't want to be that guy with horrible glutes.

Onto the good stuff.

Monday 2/8 @ Bellevue

Smith BB Rows
225x12
245x10

Smith Top Deads
295x10
315x10

Wide Pulldowns
80x10
90x6

One Arm Machine Rows
110x8 Drop until no end....

*** This was a quicker workout, but it was efficient. I tried to keep my upper body parallel w/the floor on the Smith Rows, and these had a nice feel to them. I can't go very heavy on these w/out swinging and coming above parallel. The Top Deads felt nice, I tried to focus solely on my back and I think I accomplished that goal. I normally do full SLDL with 350+ and focus on the hamstrings, but I wanted to focus on my back.

Wednesday 2/10 @ UC

Smith BN Military
195x2 (Drop) 175x4 (Drop) 145x9

HS Decline
320x5 (pause) +2 (Drop) 270x5

BB Upright Rows
115x10 (pause) +5

Incline BB
185x3 (pause) +2 (Drop) 135x8

Leaning Cable Raises
30x10 (pause) +5 (Drop) 20x5+5

Flat DB
75x6 (pause) +3 Drop 55x4+4

*** I had to get this workout in quick, due to the snow the school gym opened at 10 and I had class at 11, or so I thought as it ended up being cancelled.
I liked the dropset method today on everything, it felt good, especially on BN Military and HS Decline. On the Flat DB I was going for a stretch + pause at the bottom of each rep, and they worked out very well. I was looking very full after this workout!

I'll tell you, things have been running very well ever since that weekend of drunken-ness. I've been sitting right around 184-185, and I'm looking to be in the mid 170's. I'll be at the top of the Middleweight class then, so I need to make that.

Unholy
02-10-2010, 10:10 AM
If you are dropping the creatine switch to a monohydrate asap.

I would weigh everything I eat now. Stop eyeballing portions if you haven't already.

Keep creatine in the loop all the way throughout the show. You WANT your muscles to be as full as possible and this is exactly what creatine does.

I recommend getting some Xtend, drink it before semi fasted cardio, and introworkout. NO supplements are kind of a waste of money. You are better off scoopin some Nitor. I know that **** did the trick for me pre workout as far as crazy energy and mental clarity. Some HMB might be useful to once the deficit becomes even greater.

As far as dropping calories. If you are 6-7 weeks out I would go ahead and drop to 2200 now.

I would run 55f/200c/210p and refeed about 1x a week where you bump carbs 150g on that day. Off day or weak body part day.

Don't leave anything to chance. Its better to get leaner early and fill back out the week before the show.

Behemoth
02-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Keep the creatine. And bcaa would be worth your while if you're doing fasted cardio (which id reccommend if you're 6 weeks out and stressing the fatty glutes). I take cla, and a lot of it. But I'm more or less guinnea pigging myself now, and unless you have a lot of extra cash to burn I wouldn't expect much from it these final few weeks. I forget the federation you're doing but it'd be worth your while to check the ban list on stims, I doubt yohimbe is and if that's the case a fatburner containing it may benefit you, especially if you decide to do am cardio.

Coke
02-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Gonna be interesting to see you dial in for the show...great to be getting good advice in here to help you out too.

Time+Patience
02-14-2010, 06:53 PM
I have began to drop my calories to about 2,200 a day. I started that Friday, and before then I was right at 2,500 calories a day for a week straight.

When I weighed myself on Saturday morning I was sitting right under 182 pounds, which is right on track with the numbers, but I still have some BF % to drop. I'm guessing I'm right around 8-9% right now. I am going to see where my weight is sitting by next week, I am hoping to be closer to 181. If it drops under 180, then I'll go back to 2,300-2,400 calories. My progress has been great, and I don't want to over-diet.

I took some pictures, that I need to get posted when I get the chance. I'm very satisfied with the progress still.

I'm just under 5 weeks out from the competition, and I think that should give me enough time to tighten my hamstrings and glutes up. I know that I'll make the Middleweights, and I'm starting to think that I'll get to the low 170's, considering water weight being dropped and 5 more weeks of dieting. I'm beginning to do cardio about 4-5 times a week, some days it's a slow walk, maybe 15 minutes or maybe 30 minutes, and sometimes it's a quick HIIT session. I have just been going by feel.

I'm going to update some workouts from Saturday and Sunday, as well as pictures.

Behemoth
02-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Looking forward to the picture and workout updates, can't wait to see the stage pics too... I might even come up to see thes show if i m able to make it

Unholy
02-14-2010, 07:57 PM
If you drop under 180 then great!!! Believe me if you bring the sick conditioning you will look BIGGER and FREAKIER than anyone else. Don't worry about the scale too much. How tall are u again?

Time+Patience
02-15-2010, 09:56 AM
If you drop under 180 then great!!! Believe me if you bring the sick conditioning you will look BIGGER and FREAKIER than anyone else. Don't worry about the scale too much. How tall are u again?

I am just a shade under 5'9".

I'm trying to balance the scale and the mirror; I've been satisfied with what I'm seeing in the mirror, but I don't want my weight to start taking big drops each week. I believe that dipping under 2,000 calories a day would be too little for me, as I am a very active person. I think that the 2,200 or so calories per day that you recommended will be ideal, but I'm going to just have to re-evaluate things this upcoming weekend, and each and every weeekend.

I agree that the conditioning always helps out drastically, I'll always see guys onstage that are lightweights, but look like top end middleweights.

I definitely am a fan of keeping the carbs within my diet. When I was on the low carb, with carb up days over the summer, I dropped the weight, but I "shrunk". I'm keeping a solid deal of size thus far.

On a side note, as soon as my WiFi works I'll post the pictures up from my computer. I tried taking different lighting shots, they show a pretty drastic difference IMO.

Time+Patience
02-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Here are some updated pictures, I got this photobucket down now!!!

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/FebBBing018.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/FebBBing017.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/FebBBing020.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/FebBBing045.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/FebBBing031.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/FebBBing032.jpg

Time+Patience
02-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Thursday 2/11 @ Skytop

Lockouts
225x7
235x7 Drop 205x8

BB Curls
100x10
110x4

CG Lockouts
205x7
215x5

DB Hammers
45x10
50x7

DB Skull Crushers
30x12

Spider DB Curls
30x10+5

*** This was a solid workout, my Lockout strength is still staying steady. My bicep strength is definitely staying up also. This was another good workout on my road to the contest. The definition in my arms are starting to show through better and better every week.

Saturday 2/13 @ Skytop

Front Squats (wide)
205x9/8

Hack Squats
315x10
365x6 Drop 315x6+6

*** I wanted to get in a low volume workout. I've been trying to focus on the Front Squats and Hack Squats; I'm really trying to get the feel of these 2 exercises down.

Sunday 2/14 @ Hyde Park

Standing Leg Curls
45x20
75x8

V-Bar Pulldowns
180x8
185x6

T-Bar (wide)
135x9
145x6

SLDL (plates under toes)
325x7
345x6

Incline DB Rows
50x12/10

*** I'm really loving any close grip pulling exercise. The SLDL's felt great, and the plates under my toes added to the stretch at the bottom of the motion. I'm going to continue with the Incline DB Rows. I finished my routine with some Lying Cable Leg Curls, which felt nice, I'll definitely incorporate those for a few sets in my next Hamstring workout.

Time+Patience
02-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Here are a few more updated pictures....

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/FebBBing029.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/FebBBing019.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/FebBBing021.jpg

Yeah, I know, I just went picture posting crazy. But, I finally got this photobucket to work right, I'm going to update my old pictures and add them to the posts as images not attachments.

Chris Rodgers
02-18-2010, 09:35 PM
You are looking sick man! Great work! Good luck with your last 4-5 weeks of prep!

Coke
02-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Looking exceptional, clearly on the mark to do serious damage in the upcoming show.

f=ma
02-19-2010, 07:15 AM
nice quads man, looking good

good luck with your continued prep

Behemoth
02-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Looking awesome man, your back and abs look loads leaner since the last pics. You're gonna kick ass bro

Time+Patience
02-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Monday 2/15 @ UC

Incline DB
85x5
90x5+4

HS Military
200x6 Drop 150x8 Drop 100x8

Reverse Flat BB
185x5/5

BB Military
140x8+4

Incline DB Raises
25x12+5

Flat DB Flyes
35x12+5

*** This was a better workout for my delts rather than my chest. I wanted to try some Reverse BB's and they were ehhhh. the HS and BB Military felt very good, and the Incline Raises were to perfection! I had one hell of a pump going on this workout and I still felt strong.

Tuesday 2/16 @ Forum

DB Skulls
40x8 Drop 35x8

DB Hammer Curls
50x10+5

BB Curls (Close)
115x6 Drop 70x10

Overhead DB Ext.
35x8

*** This was another nice workout, I'm still playing with my biceps and triceps as those are my lagging bodyparts. I'm going to hit 'em hard after this contest. My biceps' strength is still thriving! I ended with some higher reps and I swear I saw the hint of striations in my triceps! I'm starting to have noticeable results every few days, it's been very encouraging to say the least.

Time+Patience
02-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Chris, Coke, F=ma and Behemoth

Thank you gentlemen, I'm hoping to hold my own at this competition. I have my sights set higher already. I'm definitely going for an ideal weight of 190-195 stage weight in late 2011. Depending how this competition goes I might enter one more in late Fall. But, I'll just play it by ear.

Diet update.... I'm starting to carb cycle right now. I'm going 2-3 days straight at around 100 grams of carbs or less if I can manage it. Then I'll go alternate days of 150 grams of carbs and 200-250 grams. I've been right around 2,100 calories for this week, so that's on track. I assume I'm sitting around 180 lbs with 8% bodyfat.

This weekend officially puts me 4 weeks out from the March 20th show! I ordered my trunks and a few helpful supplements this week. I need to order my pro-tan and dream-tan.

Time+Patience
02-20-2010, 06:15 AM
Thursday 2/18 @ Hyde Park

Leg Press (close)
675x12
765x4 Drop 675x6 Drop 585x8

Front Squats
185x9
205x6+2

Leg Extensions
Repped out forever

**** My wife has been coming with me to the gym for a few workouts, so it's easier to do drop sets. I like doing the Front Squats after my quads are fatigued a bit, so they felt great as the 2nd exercise. The Leg Extensions were a great finisher, I started heavy and did a drop set, then I went single legged until it was time to call it quits. I'm going to keep the drop sets in this workout, and I'll probably start going a bit higher on the majority of my lifts. Great workout!

Saturday 2/20 @ Skytop

Incline DB
80x12

Smith BN Military
165x8

HS Incline
230x8

DB Military
70x7

Flat DB Fly
40x10

Smith Upright Rows
135x15

Pec Deck
160x10 Drop 100x12

Leaning DB Laterals
30x10+5

*** I came into work early to get this workout in, and it was another good one. My strength is starting to decrease on the DB presses, but I decided I want to try and up the reps a bit and see where that takes my physique. For this workout I decided to try doing more exercises but only 1 intense set for each, and I liked it.

Time+Patience
02-20-2010, 06:34 AM
I have strayed away from my idea of incorporating a large variety of different exercises within my workouts. I have incorporated some variety with changed sequence, rep ranges, and 1 or 2 exercises per workout, so I've been staying with the same idea, but I want to add even more variety.

To accomplish more variety I am going to make a list of all of the varying exercises, stances, and angles that I want to incorporate. I might post it here as a reminder.

The main template of my workouts will be: at least 2 compound exercises, 1 or 2 isolation/contraction exericse(s), and if I can I'll add 1 exercise that stretches the muscle group i.e. Sissy Squats, Fly's, Incline DB Curls, etc.

I've been going on instinct with my split, and it's turned out that I hit each bodypart 3-4 times within a 2 week period.

Most wouldn't recommend to train as frequently as I do, but honestly it HAS BEEN WORKING, so I'm sticking with what has been working for me. Not many utilize a routine with this type of frequency, so I think for many it's hard to compare the different styles.

I highly recommend others to try a HIT style routine with a higher frequency, especially if they are taking in enough calories. I look at it like this, while others will do 6-10 sets per bodypart per workout, I'm doing 3-4.

For every 2 weeks others will hit each bodypart twice, while in 2 weeks I hit each bodypart at least 3 times.

Overall, in two weeks they are doing 12-20 sets per bodypart, while I'm doing 9-12 sets per bodypart in that same time. As a whole my volume is lower.

I'm becoming a big believer in stimulating the muscle enough for a response and then resting it and hitting it again sooner. Which lies within the realms of routines that follow HIT, Dorian Yates, and DC training. I know there are a lot of full body routines that incorporate 1 set per bodypart 3 times a week, and I think I'll try a routine around that mold after my contest.

But I will add the disclaimer that I do have the time available to get into the gym this much. My schedule is hectic, but I'm able to make it happen. Also, after this quarter, I have about 5 months with an easier load and a lot more availability. I'll continue to be in the gym 5-6 days a week.

I can't wait until my competition is over and I can implement this type of routine into a mass building routine. I am expecting big things from this when I'm able to add the carbs and calories back into my diet.

Off Road
02-20-2010, 07:26 AM
I've used HIT style workouts in the past. I definately had some good success with it, but more from a strength standpoint than a physique one. But strength was my goal, so my exercise selections reflected that. I don't know if you've read much of Dr. Ken Leistner's writings, but I love his stuff. His writings can really fire me up to train hard. But, it's more full-body routines done twice a week, not split routines like Dorian and Mentzer.

Unholy
02-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Gettin there man!!

These last 3 weeks you should tighten up a good ammount.

My last 4-5 weeks I was on 1750 cals, 7 hrs of cardio a week, and weights 5 x a week. With only one refeed a week.

195 stage weight is quite a goal lol. My ultimate goal is a PEELED 189 @ 5'11.5"

Looking really lean from the front, back needs a few more weeks. I think you have a VERY solid base to do well as a middleweight without adding any extra size.

Get peeled!!!

cphafner
02-20-2010, 08:15 AM
looking awesome! That rear lat spread is sick. I'm sure I've asked, what show are you doing?

Coke
02-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Becoming very precise with your approach to it all, doing great.

Unholy
02-20-2010, 10:43 AM
I hit each body part 4 x per 2 weeks haha.

Power/Hypertrophy split FTMFW! I LOVE training with higher frequency........though I do a lot more than 3-4 sets per body part on a given day.

Time+Patience
02-20-2010, 11:02 AM
I hit each body part 4 x per 2 weeks haha.

Power/Hypertrophy split FTMFW! I LOVE training with higher frequency........though I do a lot more than 3-4 sets per body part on a given day.

I notice how you do a lot of experiementing, so I decided that I would start experiementing more myself.

I began with the Doggcrapp routine and it went great, so I decided to go with that same idea. I'll be playing with a lot of things with regard to my diet and training over this next year.

Can't wait!

I don't know if you've read much of Dr. Ken Leistner's writings, but I love his stuff. His writings can really fire me up to train hard. But, it's more full-body routines done twice a week, not split routines like Dorian and Mentzer.

I will definitely have to make a note of Ken Leistner. I'll look a few articles up and see what he has going on. Do you have a favorite article, or a few favorites of his?

cphafner
02-20-2010, 11:07 AM
DC is intense. Thrashed my body, but I didn't cruise properly imo. I might switch back to DC in the near future.

Time+Patience
02-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Becoming very precise with your approach to it all, doing great.

I've watched how consistent you are, I gotta follow suit. The more consistent I am, the better I am understanding my own body.

These last 3 weeks you should tighten up a good ammount.

My last 4-5 weeks I was on 1750 cals, 7 hrs of cardio a week, and weights 5 x a week. With only one refeed a week.

195 stage weight is quite a goal lol. My ultimate goal is a PEELED 189 @ 5'11.5"

Looking really lean from the front, back needs a few more weeks. I think you have a VERY solid base to do well as a middleweight without adding any extra size.

Get peeled!!!

I'm hoping to tighten up a good deal over these last 4 weeks. I am starting to see my glutes come in, and my hamstrings are showing well, but they just need more size, which will happen after the contest is over. How far out did you start seeing your glutes come in real well?

I noticed the back also! I didn't know about those wrinkles in my back double biceps until I saw the pictures, I thought my back was doing fine. I should be able to get that taken care of in time.

I'll be dropping my calories to no more than 2,000 come Monday. These last few weeks will definitely suck eatting wise! I know it has to be rough. I'm going to try to not go on a crazy binge after the contest is over.

DC is intense. Thrashed my body, but I didn't cruise properly imo. I might switch back to DC in the near future.

DC is what sparked my love for the higher frequency and lower volume routine.

The contest I am doing is the NPC Natural Ohio near Cleveland.

How did you like competing when you did? Did you only do one show and any plans of doing more?

Off Road
02-20-2010, 11:34 AM
I will definitely have to make a note of Ken Leistner. I'll look a few articles up and see what he has going on. Do you have a favorite article, or a few favorites of his?
This one is my absolute favorite and has everything you will want to know about training wrapped up in one nice little package...

http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/1486/

Time+Patience
02-20-2010, 11:48 AM
This one is my absolute favorite and has everything you will want to know about training wrapped up in one nice little package...

http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/1486/

I'm reading though his series of "The history of Powerlifting" right now.. well I have them up in my web browser, but I'll be reading them this weekend, and this one off of Draper's site. Thanks for the link.

Behemoth
02-20-2010, 07:05 PM
What supps you using at this point? And how much cardio you doing? Once again, looking great bro

cphafner
02-20-2010, 07:38 PM
I thought it taught me a lot about myself. I was pretty hard on myself afterwards. I wish I knew now what I knew then. I was nowhere near conditioned enough. Completing again is always in the back of my mind, but I would need another 15-20lbs or so pn my frame to be remotely competitive.

f=ma
02-21-2010, 09:00 AM
cp, what do you mean when you say you didnt cruise properly? too much of something and you stalled badly?

cphafner
02-21-2010, 09:16 AM
With DC you need to take time off and do a rest period (cruise). It depends on the person, but normally 2 weeks off every 12 weeks or so. I have a tough time resting. I would normally take a week or so. I never gave my body proper recovery time after bashing it hard on DC. Sorry to hijack your log T+P!

Unholy
02-21-2010, 04:16 PM
My glutes came in around 3-4 weeks out. I had feathered quads and split hams by around 4 weeks out. For me my lower back was the last thing to come in and I could have lost another 1-2 lbs and looked much grainier and larger on stage.

Next time I will stop worrying about weight as much as just focus on getting peeled. If you want some motivation here....http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/articles-2010-wnbf-season-preview.php

During my prep I would look at pics of Brian Whitacre, I will match his conditioning during my next season. If you can maybe find another show 4-6 weeks later and keep dieting. With your LBM and height I think you would look absurd if you got freaky lean and competed at a Natural show. Def large enough to take top 3 in the Open. Just bring those glutes and lower back.

Unholy
02-21-2010, 04:21 PM
By that last part I didn't mean you shouldn't do the NPC Ohio. I think it would be great to do more than one shot if you are already dieted down and put so much work into your physique.

My original plans were to do a Sept 18th and Oct 23rd show. I ended up finding the last shows of the season in my area to get really lean enough and I'm glad I did. I'm also REALLY glad I got my first time stage jitters out of the way. The second show you do will be 10x smoother because you know exactly what to expect.

If you can afford to diet and do a second show I would highly recommend it. Esp since its the very beginning of your bodybuilding season. Don't worry about competing later in 2010. Just diet down, get really really lean the first time. Grow and come back again in 2011. Doing it right the first time and taking a longer offseason before you compete again will allow you to really bring up any weaknesses you may discover on stage.

Cheers. Super happy to finally see some fellow WBBers commit to a show!!!

Behemoth
02-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Quit hatin on me paul I'm a winner ill do nothing less than it. When I'm positive ill do it lol

Unholy
02-21-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm not hating on you bro. I wanna see you on stage with me in 2011. Head to head baby.

Though I think you have the size just like Time+Patience does. If either one of you dieted down like I did you would most likely win the novice and do very well in the open. Prep when YOU are ready however.

Time+Patience
02-22-2010, 11:58 PM
What supps you using at this point? And how much cardio you doing? Once again, looking great bro

I am taking a basic protein powder, Creatine Mono, BCAA's, CLA, and Arganine. I just started the arganine, and I really like it, I hear it can just be psychological, but it's cheap and it did for 2 great workouts, so I'll stick with it. I may grab some Beta-Alanine, I might pick some up when I order my Tanning products.

I thought it taught me a lot about myself. I was pretty hard on myself afterwards. I wish I knew now what I knew then. I was nowhere near conditioned enough. Completing again is always in the back of my mind, but I would need another 15-20lbs or so pn my frame to be remotely competitive.

Sorry to hijack your log T+P!

No problems, you weren't highjacking anything. It's nice to hear how and where people go right or wrong with their training. I think when it comes to BBing most of us always believe we need to pack on "another 10 pounds". I used to always say that until I got tired of saying it! I'm really enjoying the process and the results from the diet so far.

By that last part I didn't mean you shouldn't do the NPC Ohio. I think it would be great to do more than one show if you are already dieted down and put so much work into your physique.

If you can afford to diet and do a second show I would highly recommend it. Esp since its the very beginning of your bodybuilding season. Don't worry about competing later in 2010. Just diet down, get really really lean the first time. Grow and come back again in 2011. Doing it right the first time and taking a longer offseason before you compete again will allow you to really bring up any weaknesses you may discover on stage.

Cheers. Super happy to finally see some fellow WBBers commit to a show!!!

Makes sense, and if you read the following post, that's what it looks like I am going to do. You're right, there's no point in staying idle for 3-4 months and entering a later show, I'll probably just enter 2 shows within a short time of one another. I think I'll enjoy the first one enough to get into a second one.

I also like the sound of the longer off-season and I have that lofty goal of getting up to 190 (or damn close to it) for my comp. weight by next year. (I think you stated that you hoped to put on 15-20 pounds by then, so I'll be chasing you in a few months! I'm coming.)

Time+Patience
02-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Update

I'm pulling a Paul... I'm going to be making some alterations as to what contest I am going to be doing.

My wife informed me today that her brother will be out of town, and that's where we were planning on staying, so we would have to pay for a hotel on top of the gas to get to Cleveland. We also planned on visiting him specifically, so that takes away the benefits of entering a comp. in Cleveland.

I'll look for a closer comp. and save the money and time.

Unholy, I had been mulling the idea of entering 2 contests prior. If I'm bit by the BBing bug, like you were, then I'll probably do one right after. I'm trying to decipher which 2 I'd aim for.

As of right now, I'm going to re-direct my plan of attack and look to enter into a closer competition, and it looks like the best one is the Northern Kentucky Bodybuilding which is 1 week later, March 27th. This gives me 1 more week to tighten up, which I just might need. Then if I do 1 of the following contests, I should be able to cruise into that, while playing with my diet in the final week to see how I respond to things.

The Mike Francois Classic Bodybuilding contest on May 8th is just outside of Columbus, OH. It's a popular Ohio contest, and I know a fellow that stated he was going to train for the 2010 contest. He placed second in the heavyweights last year (he is a big guy!), but I haven't seem him in a long time since I don't work the mornings at the gym anymore.

I also found this one in Columbus:

INBF Natural Buckeye Classic Bodybuilding & Figure Championships
Ohio State Universityís Ohio Union
Columbus, OH
WNBF Rookie Pro-Qualifier for Menís Bodybuilding & Womenís Figure
rich@richbodyfit.com
www.NaturalBuckeyeClassic.com

I'm prone to enter a contest in Columbus, since that's where my family resides and we don't have to pay for a hotel. I know my mom, sisters, and some friends would have a better chance to be able to come and support me if I enter a comp. in Columbus. I always try to make any trips that I take have multiple purposes. I can visit family, get a break from school, and enter a BBing contest at the same time.

Onto some training...

Sunday 2/21 @ Hyde Park

1 Arm DB Rows
85x10 drop 60x7

HS Pulldowns
210x8+4

BN Pulldowns
160x8 drop 100x10

Cable Lying Leg Curls
37x12
42x12

Rack Deads (Inspired by Off Road)
315x10

Standing Leg Curl
60x8+4
(Superset with) Sumo SLDL 225x15

*** I've been trying to hammer my hamstrings more, and this workout did it to them, the Lying Cable Curls feel AMAZING! The Rack Deads were killer, especially this late in my routine, as well as the SLDL's. I used to hate 1-Arm DB Rows, but they weren't that bad, I'll be playing with them more. I'm really becoming attached to this variety oriented routine. I'm hoping that I get enough stimulation from each angle to get some results.

Monday 2/22 @ Hyde Park

CG Flat Bench
185x11

BB Curls (Close)
100x10

Tricep Pushdowns (straight-bar)
80x11

Rope Curls
72x12

Machine Tricep Dips
210x12

1-Arm DB Preacher
35x6 drop 30x6

Dips
BWx20

Incline DB Curls
37x6

*** I finally threw some Dips into my workout and they felt great, I could really feel my tri's getting a good workout from the 2 versions. My biceps routine didn't pick up until the Preachers, damn those are hard 1-arm at a time! I'm becoming more and more fond of Incline DB Curls, they've helped my crappy biceps be not as crappy. I could really notice the Arganine that I took before my workout, my arms were jacked!

My wife came with me again tonight, and she doesn't understand that I really focus on my set and only my set while I lift. She asked a random question, so naturally I ignored her, then she waited a few seconds and asked 1 more. When I finished I just said "you know I purposefully did not answer both of your questions, right?" She said that she thought I just didn't hear her.... Hopefully she gets it from here on out, Shut up when I'm lifting!

Coke
02-23-2010, 07:48 AM
The Northern Kentucky & Mike Francois Classic are both big shows in this region, good luck!!

Time+Patience
02-25-2010, 11:36 PM
The Northern Kentucky & Mike Francois Classic are both big shows in this region, good luck!!

My wife's cousin is graduating the weekend of the Mike Francois Classic, so I will not be able to do that one either! It looks like I will just be doing the Northern Kentucky. One month left now!

Thursday 2/25 @ Hyde Park

Leg Extension
150x12
200x8

Squats
275x15
365x1

60 Degree Leg Press (Low and Wide)
495x10

*** I threw in some Sissy Squats in here and there, while I also tried some 1-legged Smith Squats and those were unique to say the least. The Squats and Leg Presses felt great, but I am more comfortable on the 45 Degree Leg Press, and the 60 Degree might have been what bit me tonight. The 365 Squat was tough, but I miss hitting Squats heavy. This workout was meant to be INTENSE and quick, but it might have backfired, as I have a small amount of swelling around my lower left abdominal, but it's void of any pain. I've had this before and it subsided, but it didn't turn out to be anything serious. I didn't notice anything during the workout at all, I noticed it hours later, so I'll keep an eye on it.

If I decide to workout over the next few days it will be light and limit ab involvement. I'm going to ice it tonight and see how things feel when I go in for Chest and Delts tomorrow, don't be surprised to see high reps and low volume. It should be alright though. I'll be taking it easier on my Legs to say the least.

Off Road
02-26-2010, 07:06 AM
How'd that feel doing the heavy squat after the high rep squat and all the extensions? Your quads must have been fried?

Unholy
02-26-2010, 07:08 AM
I HIGHLY recommend the Natural Buckeye Classic.

I know Rich from another forum and last year was the first time the show was ran and a huge success.

Yea buddy! Glad your bitten by the bug!

Solid training too =)

Behemoth
03-02-2010, 07:36 AM
where's you @

Time+Patience
03-04-2010, 08:08 PM
How'd that feel doing the heavy squat after the high rep squat and all the extensions? Your quads must have been fried?

That set @ 365 was one of the hardest squats I've ever done! I really have become a fan of doing squats some where other than first within my routine. That is, if I'm not focusing on being at my strongest, but I've had workouts where I was going just as heavy, if not heavier, after pre-exhausting and the burn was tremendous.

I'll definitely be doing a lot more rotating this off-season to see how things work.

Update:

It's been a couple of days since I've done this, but this quarter is almost at the end, so it's going to stay heavy and busy for 1 more week, then I'll have 2 finals and then 10 days to focus and zone in only on the contest and no school! I can't wait for that.

I weighed myself early this morning and I was right at 176, so I'll definitely be a middleweight, and I should be sitting at the top part of the weight class. Hopefully I can do well with the few days leading up to the contest and perfect things on my first attempt at timing and competing.

My diet has been so much more spot on, I've been sitting right around an average of 1,800 calories per day for over a week. My percentages have been along the lines of 40/30/30 (P/C/F). I did start to carb cycle, then I second guessed it as my results on the basic 40/30/30 had been coming along so well throughout this whole contest prep I decided to stick what has been working and track how the 7-10 days of sub 2,000 calories worked.

My glutes are definitely being stubborn, but I still have 3 weeks, so I think it's unreasonable to believe that they should be showing strong definition after only 8 weeks of dieting. Over the past week I've noticed my hamstrings tighetning up, as well as my legs as a whole. My vascularity is going to be a strong point for me. These past 2 weeks have been very encouraging as I'm noticing more vasucularity, new striations, or more detail every couple of days.

Friday 2/26 @ UC

Smith Military
165x11/8

Smith Low Incline
185x10/9

Leaning DB Laterals
30x12+5

Machine Flat Bench
170x12
150x15

HS Military (Facing pad)
90x20

*** The night before I strained something in my low-low abs, so I wanted to take it easy, which I did. I didn't do anything that required much stabilizing. I wanted to try out some higher reps and they were nice, but I'm still partial to the heavier weights for the pushing exercises.

Monday 3/1 @ Hyde Park

Standing HS Leg Curl
100x15
120x12
140x8

BB Rows (Extra Wide)
175x10/10

Pullups (Close)
BWx10/7/4/4/4/4 (minimal rest)

DB Leg Curls
55x12/12
(superset with)
Smith SLDL (Feet touching)
185x12/20

Cable Rows (close)
140x12/12

*** This was a solid workout. I was still iffy on going to heavy on exercises that could "test" my core stabilization. I really liked the Wide BB Rows, but it's very hard to go heavy on these. I'm really trying to get creative for my hamstring workouts, as I want to hit them from different angles, and the Curls superset with SLDL's was very tough. I felt this workout by the end of the next day, and it was where I wanted my focus for back and ham's.

Tuesday 3/2 @ Home

DB Curls (Slow cadence)
35x15
40x11

Overhead DB Ext (1-arm)
30x12/11

Concentration Curls (Negatives)
45x5/5
30x12+6

Floor DB Skulls
30x20/20

Hammer Curls
30x20/20

*** I rarely workout on Tuesdays, but it was arm day so I pulled out the Select-Tech DB's for this one. I wanted to go with higher reps, and these were definitely different. My endurance was crazy! The lactic acid buildup was not as bad as I expected it to be, but I might credit that to the creatine and beta-alanine combo. I'm noticing some definite changes within my workouts. My arms have improved dramatically. I'll definitely keep hitting my arms during the off-season, as I'm the type that needs the direct attention. If I just let the main work for my arms come in the form of compound movements they fall behind drastically.

Thursday 3/4 @ Hyde Park

HS Leg Extension
50x25

Smith Lunges- Step Back
115x15/20

Smith Sumo SLDL (toes straight)
225x10
245x8
275x6 (dropset) 225x8

Machine Leg X
110x12 (Slow Negative) (Dropset til death)

Lying Cable Leg Curl
27x12
22x15

**** Pulverized! I can't state it any simpler than that, my legs were screaming for mercy! I decided to go with working my hamstrings again. I really want them to stand out on stage, and since they've been tightening up, the lines are looking solid! I didn't want to do any heavy movements today, so this is the route I went. I'll probably stick with the higher reps on legs, as I think the extra contractions will help solidify the lines that are developing. The Sumo SLDL's were very nice, and the difference of pointing my toes straight gave them a noticeably different feel, which I really liked! Just another great workout.

Off Road
03-04-2010, 08:22 PM
You sure do love that Smith Machine :)
Nice work though, keep it up.

Coke
03-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Glad to see the update, no doubt you were keeping everything on point

Unholy
03-05-2010, 08:49 AM

:withstupi:

Good to hear thaqt everything is going well.

Keep practicing those mandatory poses.

1800 sounds like a great number for ya right now.

I would keep fats really low the last 2 weeks before peak week.

Make sure you do a lil refeed 1 x a week pref on an off day.

Did you get your Dreamtan ordered?

Make sure you get Dream tan #2 (Red-Bronze formula), latex gloves, and a lil bottle of reg baby oil.

Time+Patience
03-07-2010, 02:48 PM
You sure do love that Smith Machine :)
Nice work though, keep it up.

I would have to agree with that statement. I will have to try those step back lunges with free weights; I'll probably see a huge difference in the feel due to the balancing. Only a handful of leg workouts left. That lighter workout really did me in!

I've been trying to keep everything consistent, and the journal has helped alot. BTW Coke, I am at the 10 page mark! That's groundbreaking for me.

Did you get your Dreamtan ordered?

Make sure you get Dream tan #2 (Red-Bronze formula), latex gloves, and a lil bottle of reg baby oil.

I ordered 2 pairs of trunks, the purple trunks are "brighter" than what was advertised. Oh well, I'll be using them. They are a bit too small in terms of how they run from the front to the back, but they fit well around the waist.

I ordered my dream tan, and I actually got a nice deal on the spray tan at The Arnold this weekend. One of the guys sponsored by Dream Tan at the booth was really cool, and he gave me a lot of information about what to use and when to use it. Also, I got a free upper body "paint job", which shows a huge difference on my physique.

Behemoth
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
pics pics pics... you gotta be getting pretty damn lean mang

Time+Patience
03-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Saturday 3/6 @ Grove City

Flat DB Press
85x10
95x5

Arnold Presses
50x12/12

DB Presses on a Stability Ball
70x8/10

BB Front Raises: wide grip
50x15/15
(superset with)
DB Laterals
20x15/15

Cable Crossovers
60x12 (drop)
50x8

**** Definitely a solid workout. I came up to Columbus for the Arnold Classic, and I worked out with my old training partner for the weekend. It was nice going heavy on the DB Presses, and the higher rep Delt exercises lit me up! Definitely another solid workout to add to the # of good ones.

Sunday 3/7 @ Grove City

BB Rows (close-grip)
195x10+5+4
(dropset)
145x10

Pulldowns: V-bar
180x6+5+4

BB Curls: close
90x12+3+4

**** My old partner wanted to go through a mini Doggcrapp routine. Even though this wasn't an actual DC routine, I wanted him to get the idea of the rest between sets; it wore him out to say the least. My pumps have been deteriorating a bit over the past few workouts. Not sure what exactly is the cause? I have been using Creatine & Beta-Alanine, which is showing within my workouts.

3 more weeks of training, cardio and strict dieting. I already used my refeed day this weekend.

Paul, or whoever has some input - What would be recommend as an ideal calorie and carb mark to hit for a refeed day?

Time+Patience
03-07-2010, 04:37 PM
The pictures are a success! They were taken at my mom's house, obviously in the bathroom. As I stated above, I got a coat of dream tan at the Arnold Classic so it helped me look MUCH better in these pictures.
The Legs need to get some color, then the definition and striations, I swear they are there, will show through better... LOL @ my facial expression in the Front Most Muscular! :clown:

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/Workout%20Pics/DSCN0984.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/DSCN1003.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/RSCN1009.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/DSCN1013.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/RSCN1010.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/Strachan02/DSCN1005.jpg

Behemoth
03-07-2010, 05:57 PM
LOOKING AWESOME BROTHER!! what you weighin?

Time+Patience
03-07-2010, 06:03 PM
LOOKING AWESOME BROTHER!! what you weighin?

I've been rather satisfied with my results thus far, I'm really hoping that my glutes come in and start showing some signs of improvement over the next 10-14 days.

I weighed as low as 176, but I was recently 178 after a refeed. My weight is right on target for the contest, as I will be a Middleweight (under 177), and I'll be able to carb up and be at the top of the weight class.

That damn coat of dream tan makes a big difference, I'm tempted to slap a little on my legs to see how they really look.

Behemoth
03-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I see veins in the medialis, and they're creepin' all through your calves

Coke
03-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Outrageous shots, the dream tan does well by you too.

Time+Patience
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks Coke,
Color always helps me look better, but that's true for most light/fair skinned folks. My wife asked me why I had to get darker, but she can notice the difference.

I'm still satisfied with everything, but we're just over 2 weeks, and I still have some fat that needs to go away! My calories will stay low and constricted. I'm going to develop a more detailed plan for the 2 weeks prior in terms of workouts and diet. My workout will consist of more contracting exercises, and I'll see how that works for me. I'll be thinking of my plan of attack over the weekend.

I'll basically have 2 weeks off from school starting this Saturday so it allows me to focus on my prep. more.

Monday 3/8 @ Hyde Park

Leg Extension (feet touching)
130x19

45 Deg. Leg Press
635x25

Sissy Squats
BWx12
(superset)
Squats
225x15

**** I'll probably continue with Leg Extensions at the beginning and maybe the end of my quad workouts. I really do not know what happened, but my Leg Presses were insane! I've been underestimating myself as of late. I was a little intimidated because of my last workout, but I focused on a slow negative and controlling every part of my body, and I just could not fail on this set! I really wasn't feeling the Squats at this point of the workout, maybe it was too light? Last time I did Squats late in my workout I loved them. Overall, I was excited with this workout - it was an A+ in my book.

Tuesday 3/9 @ Skytop

HS Decline
190x20 (drop) 140x15

Standing Military
130x9 (drop) 80x15+5

Incline DB Fly
45x10 (drop) 30x6

Incline Side Laterals
20x15+5

Stretch & Skulls
70x17+3

Pec Dec
145x12 (drop) 100x6

Rope Pushdowns
30x20

**** I decided to go on ahead and do Chest/Delts/Tri's today even though I did Chest and Delts a few days ago, but I my muscles felt great and I wanted to just hit some higher reps. This workout was quite interesting and it felt great as a whole. I need to keep hammering away at my triceps, this workout was nice with the higher reps and I think I need to go w/higher reps for my triceps.

Off Road
03-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm a newbie to all the "bodybuilding" methods. What part does the isolation stuff with the high reps play into your prep?

f=ma
03-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Looking awesome! Very nice work

Time+Patience
03-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Update

I'm weighing right around 176-177 on a regular basis, but I've been as low as 174. My upper body is leaning out quite considerably, while the veins throughout my Quads are beginning to run rampant. I've been getting in some form of cardio about 6 days a week, some of it is unavoidable such as walking to and from campus. I try to alternate the higher intensity and lower intensity days, but I'll usually go for no more than 10-15 minutes high intensity, and then no more than 20-25 minutes low intensity.

I truly believe that I'll see some drastic changes over the next 2 weeks, and I need them, so I'm just patiently waiting it out.

Diet
I figured that it might be important for me to put down some of what I've been eatting, rather than just numbers from my diet.

So the following is an example of what I'll eat. I usually portion my sizes so that the protein equals about 30-35 grams per meal, or right around 6 ounces, and my carbs are right around 30 grams per meal, and the fat just falls in line with whatever I eat.

I cook with a lot of vegetables such as: peppers, red and yellow onions, garlic, chile peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, corn, and peas. I'm cooking with various seasonings and I do use mustard, kethcup, and some BBQ sauce. I'll be cutting down on the excess condiments one week from Sunday. I usually cook in bulk, so if I make rice, then I'll get my carbs from rice for a day or 2, and then if I cook potatoes it's the same thing, a protein source then potatoes as my carb source.

I really don't like being over detailed with my approach as that's just not me. I have a lot of faith in my abilities to know how much is in everything and what a small or large portion is. My appetite tells me a lot with my diet also.

Meal 1
Eggs and Potatoes

Meal 2
Ham Sandwich

Meal 3
Protein Bar- Titan or Met-Rx

Meal 4
Beef Stir Fry

Meal 5
Tuna and Corn

Meal 6
Protein Shake

Meal 7
Peanut Butter or Cottage Cheese

Meal 1
Oatmeal with scoop of Protein

Meal 2
Crepes (6 whites, 1 whole egg, 1/3 cup pancake batter)

Meal 3
Ham wrapped pickles

Meal 4
Protein Bar

Meal 5
Chicken and Sweet Potatoes

Meal 6
Tuna and Veggies

Right now I've been rather consistent with getting these #'s daily:

Calories: 1,800
Fats: 50 grams
Carbs: 130-140 grams
Proteins: 180 grams

Supplementation

I have stated it before, but here's a list of what I'm taking:

BCAA
Glutamine
Beta-Alanine
Creatine Mono
Fat Burner
Protein

*** I usually just make a liter of water and flavoring and toss a scoop of the first four items and drink it throughout the day. Some days I'll make 2 of those if I'm doing cardio.

I can say that I'm loving the Beta-Alanine and Creatine together. It's not the energy I have for my workouts, but the higher pain threshold I seem to have during my workouts right now.

I've been mulling over ideas for my routine, and I'll probably develop a 2-3 day split with mixed rep ranges throughout, but low sets still. I will say that it will look like a routine destined for over training but it will only consist of 2-3 rotations depending on the split. I'm still thinking it over though. I'm trying to plan everything out as I'm going back out of town before the contest.

Time+Patience
03-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm a newbie to all the "bodybuilding" methods. What part does the isolation stuff with the high reps play into your prep?

From what I've read and seen from others is that the higher reps will work more of the fast-twitch muscle fibers, which don't fire like the slow-twitch muscle fibers do during the heavy weights that many of us love to do.

I, like most others, train heavy a majority of the time. There are times for change and a need for change in my training is due. I rarely train within the higher rep range, so I honestly don't know how it will affect my physique, performance, and strength. I've heard people that do respond to the higher reps, and others don't respond well.

I'm simply adding another aspect to the experimenting with my routine.

I have enjoyed the higher reps, as I think it tests me mentally with my training by pushing through the pain barrier. Why I chose to go high reps for these workouts though? I just wanted to is the simplest answer, there really was no reasoning behind it other than that.

Off Road
03-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Ah, okay. I thought maybe there was some specific reason that helped with your prep. But change is good, keep blasting them.

Behemoth
03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Calories and macros look pretty good. Have you been doing refeeds? What fat burner are you using and how do you like it?

Coke
03-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Great updates and assessments as you wind down for the show. Glad to hear you are seeing increased vascularity and striations at this point man.

f=ma
03-11-2010, 03:32 AM
how come youre limiting the cardio? just dont need more than what youre doing? i understand keeping high intensity under control to avoid burning muscle.. but low intensity steady state should be ok? note that I dont know.. its a question hah

Behemoth
03-13-2010, 02:42 PM
2 weeks my friend 2 weeks til one of the greatest accomplishments of your life. You're gonna do great, I for one cannot wait for the results!