PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you just eat just 3 meals/day for cutting?

brihead301
06-03-2009, 07:24 AM
I dropped down to 185 from about 220 within a matter of 3 or 4 months simply from starting to eat healthly and start taking these MMA classes (which involve a s***load of cardio). I thought I wanted to pursue powerlifting as my sport of choice, but I decided I'd rather fight instead. Anyway, I want to get down to under 175, and maintain once I get down to that weight.

It's been a real b**** trying to lose that last 10 lbs. though. The first 30 - 35 lbs. practically melted off instantly, but those last 10....not so much. Anyway, I've always had trouble doing the 6 meal thing. Here's a typical day for me (training day):

7:30 am

1.5 cup whole milk w/2 scoops of ON whey
1 banana

600 calories, 61 g p, 55 g carb, 15 g fat

12:00 pm

A big plate of grilled chicken and brocolli with some kind of butter/garlic sauce on it.

435 calories, 80 g p, 14 g carb, 5.5 g fat

5:00 pm - preworkout

3 eggs and cheese omelette (I think I'm gonna start adding bacon)

295 calories, 24 g p, 4 g carb, 20 g fat

8:00 pm - post workout

1.5 cup whole milk w/2 scoops of ON whey
1 banana

600 calories, 61 g p, 55 g carb, 15 g fat

Total

1930 calories, 226 g p, 128 g carbs, 55 g fat

Now, that's just my meals with rough estimates of the macros and total calories (I used a little calculator just now to figure out the totals). I eat some s*** in between those meals too to bring my total cals per day up to around 2000 - 2200....

So as you can see, I try to eat mostly healthy, and I try to eat high protien/low carbs. Does this completely suck?

Could I maybe have a 3 - 4 meal/day plan that looks much better? Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Unreal
06-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Yes. I find larger meals more filling.

That being said 1930 calories from 6 meals or 3 meals is going to be the same. Either you need to do a break from the diet to give your metabolism a boost or lower calories more.

VikingWarlord
06-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Yes. The "eat every 2 hours" doctrine is stupid and not practical for most people. Right now, I'm actually on a controlled fast so I only eat one full meal per day.

brihead301
06-03-2009, 09:29 AM
By taking a break, what do you mean? Just eat whatever for a few days?

KoSh
06-03-2009, 09:36 AM
I would throw a few cheat meals in and keep the rest gravy or maybe cut down a little somewhere. Enjoy something you aren't supposed to eat. It's one of the best feelings in life to have something that's really not all that healthy after being so strict and on point for awhile. :)

Then go back. It may break you from the monotony.

Mercuryblade
06-03-2009, 09:42 AM
I prefer to snack all day rather than eat large meals, but that's just me.
The eat every few hours mantra is just to help undisciplined fatties from overeating at meals.

brihead301
06-03-2009, 09:45 AM
I do still have cheat meals a few times a week. I f***ing love Taco Bell, and I have that like 1 - 2 times per week. Weekends, I drink my a** off too. I'd say I'm about 75% - 80% strict on this dieting stuff.

KoSh
06-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Try something other than Taco Bell. You'll live without it for a couple of weeks :)

brihead301
06-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Haha, okay.....I'll hook myself up with some pizza then!!

VDubb
06-03-2009, 09:56 AM
The eat every few hours mantra is just to help undisciplined fatties from overeating at meals.

^Exactly......common broscience.......

Here's a good article from Aragon on the issue and intermittant fasting: http://www.alanaragon.com/an-objecti...t-fasting.html

Research Summary
Meal Frequency

A haphazard/randomly variable meal frequency, not necessarily a lower frequency, negatively impacts thermogenesis, blood lipids, and insulin sensitivity.

Within a day, a higher frequency has no thermodynamic advantage over a lower frequency under controlled conditions.

The majority of controlled intervention trials show no improvement in body composition with a higher meal frequency.

I'm still cutting and eat the typical 3 meals a day, with random snacking/protein thrown in as I see fit........I'm eating much healthier too, but as it's been said, I still indulge in "cheat" foods......as long as I monitor the rest of my intake........a slip here or there won't sidetrack your efforts........

brihead301
06-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Basically I was just wondering why it's so damn difficult to lose the last 10 lbs. I'm busting my a** in the gym and in MMA, and the amount of food I'm eating everyday seem ridiculously low (compared to what I was eating before when I was 220). So cutting the calories more seems like a bad idea. I was thinking that if meal frequency isn't the problem, then maybe my macro's are. Like, maybe increase the fats and decrease the carbs more?? I dunno.

KoSh
06-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Don't forget to adjust your calories based on how much you weigh now versus when you started...

If you weighed 220 to start and you're 200 now (hypothetical) then you won't be eating the same number of calories now as you did then to cut.

d0rkyd00d
06-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Not sure if anybody can vouch for this, but what about a colonic cleanser?

Mercuryblade
06-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Not sure if anybody can vouch for this, but what about a colonic cleanser?

I'll unvouch for colonic cleansing, and throw in an intentional pun by telling you that it's a crock of ****.

Brad08
06-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Basically I was just wondering why it's so damn difficult to lose the last 10 lbs. I'm busting my a** in the gym and in MMA, and the amount of food I'm eating everyday seem ridiculously low (compared to what I was eating before when I was 220). So cutting the calories more seems like a bad idea. I was thinking that if meal frequency isn't the problem, then maybe my macro's are. Like, maybe increase the fats and decrease the carbs more?? I dunno.

You can move stuff around all you want but until you reduce the "energy in" or increase the "energy out" side of the equation, you won't lose weight.

brihead301
06-03-2009, 10:25 AM
I understand that Brad, but s*** it just seems that ~2000 cal/day is ridiculously low. Then again, I do have an office job where I sit on my a** all day. I guess I just gotta cut out more cals then, because I don't see myself training any more then I am right now anytime soon.

VikingWarlord
06-03-2009, 10:43 AM
I do still have cheat meals a few times a week. I f***ing love Taco Bell, and I have that like 1 - 2 times per week. Weekends, I drink my a** off too. I'd say I'm about 75% - 80% strict on this dieting stuff.

See, this information would have been good to have earlier.

Knock all this **** off. Either be serious about finishing the cut or don't. Things have to be tightened up once you start hitting the end. Your 75-80% strict needs to be 95-100% strict.

Taco Bell sucks anyway. Have some respect for yourself and at least eat something that resembles actual Mexican food instead of Alpo wrapped in newspaper.

Holto
06-03-2009, 10:51 AM
1) Drop the taco bell unless you can know EXACTLY what the calorie count is
2) Take 2-4 weeks off the diet to let your metabolism recover, you may find that going back to the exact amount of cals you're on now produces weight loss.

I say take 4 weeks off and set some poundage goals in the gym...then go back on the cut stricter than ever.

brihead301
06-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Good advice fellas I will try this. Starting next Monday, I'll drop the 2000 calorie diet for a few weeks (I'll still eat healthy, but I'll eat more calories, all while trying to build up my numbers in the gym again). After that, I'll go back to the same cutting diet I'm on now, only I'll be much more strict on it (no Taco bell, less cheating). We'll see what happens.

Unreal
06-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Yah, at first I was like take a break, but now I think you need to stick to it. 75-80% won't get you anywhere. Make that 1 cheat meal a week and not an all you can eat gorge fest.

brihead301
06-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Maybe it's not 75% - 80%, I just made that up. From Sunday - Thursday, my diet is pretty tight. Friday up until I get done work and Saturday is where it starts to slip, but even then I'm still not all that bad. But if I could fix those 2 days, I'd be money.

Skelator03
06-03-2009, 03:32 PM
i eat lots of little meals a day and iclude protein shakes throughout i find that works best for me and keeps my body going all day so i keep getting hungry

samadhi_smiles
06-03-2009, 03:54 PM
hey dude, whats working for me these last few weeks:
carb cut-off
30-40 mins of AM cardio (near-fasted with just a small amount of BCAAs/whey taken beforehand + green tea powder).

Then huge refeed after that. I dunno I just keep testing things out and measuring my BF and my strength gains. Stuff seems to work if you tweak it enough.

ygbodybuilder10
06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
it seems that i eat more meals when cutting

brihead301
06-03-2009, 06:25 PM
@Samadhi, ya man I'm always experimenting with stuff. I've been experimenting with how to train for the last buncha years, and now I feel as if I have a very good understanding of that down. Now, I'm really focusing on understanding diet.

samadhi_smiles
06-04-2009, 08:15 AM
well part of diet is not only daily macros but WHERE those macros fall. It works for me to take in my carbs in the early part of the day/early afternoon then stop taking them in and only feed on protein and fats. Dunno if you've thought about this much, but you might want to.

If you want to learn a ton, check out www.intensemuscle.com and read some of the pro bodybuilder journals there. they know their **** about diet.

brihead301
06-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't wanna overload myself with too much info all at once. I do experiment with macros though. Mainly I try to just stick to the basics though:

- gain weight: eat more
- lose weight: eat less

Aside from that, keep protein high always, and avoid starchy carbs and sugars when trying to lose weight.