PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifts- 484, 528, 544 miss

mattburns
06-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Looking for some comments and advice on form, also just want to post up the videos as I only started deadlifting in Jan 09 after coming back to this site after a few years of 'bodybuilding'. Thanks to support, advice and encouragement from people on here I have gone from pulling 250 to 528. Nice one WBB.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQsd3uV15tc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQsd3uV15tc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

484 felt ok.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-uLZP7Fyl94&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-uLZP7Fyl94&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

528, hitched it a bit? Would this not be allowed in a meet?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/td719CuAHo8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/td719CuAHo8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

544 miss, just couldn't lock it out.

The numbers are a little weird as I work out in kilos. Advice and criticism would be appreciated, I have only recently tweaked my pulling a bit by going shoeless, adding chalk, making my grip a bit wider and wearing a belt.

-JM-
06-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Awesome lifts Matt!

You have been putting in serious effort and its paying off!

mattburns
06-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the kind words Flynn!

rctriplefresh-

Yea I thought the 528 was hitched. All I will say RE: dropping weight is that because I was maxing out it's normal that my form will drop somewhat, with lower weights my form is much better. The 484 is probably a closer example of my actual form. I do have issues with my hips coming up quick and doing it a bit stiff legged, I've worked on this but I generally find this natural and the way I can lift the most weight. As for the 544 yea I lost my momentum a bit between the sets and wasn't as pumped, it's hard to tell from that angle but my shoulders were well forward and it didn't feel like coming up at all, maybe I did give up on it a bit.

Would people say it is best to go back to square one or keep with the way I lift? I've seen other PL'ers lift with similar form and I find with my height it is the most comfortable, but if in the future it could lead me to lifting more then I don't mind sorting it out.

Chalky Palms
06-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Great job matt, I would NOT drop the weight, your form is fine, keep on increasing.

-JM-
06-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Great job matt, I would NOT drop the weight, your form is fine, keep on increasing.

Agreed, do what you gotta do (within reason) on ME lifts. Soon enough you will pull the 544 like the 485.

patricky
06-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Wow that 544 was very close. Should be good for it next time you max.

mattburns
06-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Chalky- Cheers mate, I will stick with the way I pull.

Flynn- I hope so mate!

Patricky- Yea mate I think I was a bit intimidated by the weight and gave up a bit easily, here's hoping for next time.

Travis Bell
06-06-2009, 09:12 PM

Agreed, do what you gotta do (within reason) on ME lifts. Soon enough you will pull the 544 like the 485.

Pretty poor advice guys. Form comes first, always.

If you can't do it with good form then you shouldn't be doing it at all. The max lifts is where you're going to injure yourself more times than not. Max effort means the most you can lift while maintaining good form. If I had kept using sloppy form on my bench when I started out, there is no chance at all I'd be where I'm at today.

i think it depends on who you ask. for instance a lot of people were telloing me to drop the weight on my deadlift even though it was max effort deadlift and my form was better than matts(no hate to matt)

Trust me your form is much worse than Mat's. You just won't listen, whereas he does.

To the OP, Your hips are comming up a bit quick. Yours aren't comming up quick enough right now to cause injury per se, but it's going to hinder your progress. You are a good candidate for 700 down the road if you dialed in your form.

Work on quad strength, front squats, close stance squats, zercher squats and the like to help bring that up. Then focus on staying sat back during the beginning of the deadlift and you'll get it.

If you'd have slowed down that 528 on the way up, you wouldn't have hitched, but yes that would get red lights moreso because there was downward movement in the bar.

Very solid work. Keep it up!

jbrin0tk
06-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Thank you, Travis. RC, what are you talking about?!?! Your form is better than his??? And then you go telling him that he needs more leg drive when you pull with none. I just don't even know what to say beyond that.

Matt, sorry for the thread hijack. Great pulling, man. Very close on both of the last two. They'll be yours in no time.

mattburns
06-07-2009, 05:34 AM
Rctriplefresh- I appreciate the comments pal but I think we might be in different boats. I watched a few vids on your journal and it looks like you're pulling with dangerous form, that vid above especially I can't tell from that angle but your back must be very rounded? I think that's why people are saying drop the weight. On my vids my back is straight so I considered it safe as such but it's obviously not perfect form so you're right in some respect. I will be stopping by your journal to check how you progress mate.

Jbrin0tk- Thanks for the encouragement mate!

Travis- Firstly thanks for commenting, it is greatly appreciated and one of the reasons I love WBB is that there are Pro's like yourself willing to give advice.

I agree on the hips and also that my quads need work, my squat is disproportionate to my DL due to a lack of relative leg strength caused by 9 months away from leg training from a soccer injury. I will switch up my assistance exercises to reflect this. Also good point on the sitting back, when I watch in slow motion I am quite far forward over the bar on the first part of the lift, I think I'm being a wuss and trying not to scrape my shins too much maybe.

If my form is going to hinder my progress then I have no problem taking some time to work on it for future gains as I wouldn't mind competing one day. Thanks again.