PDA

View Full Version : lower back

fudgeorama
06-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Last week I was working up to a heavy set of narrow stance low box squats. I put on my belt for the last set (I debated whether I should use it since I normally do not). On the second rep I noticed I was not pressing against the belt. On the next rep on the way down I could feel my lower back (erectors) stretching out as I sat on the box. I couldn't move the rest of the day. I feel better and have done bodyweight reverse hypers and extensions. How do you know when you are ready to start lifting heavy again? What can I do to make my low back stronger. I think this may be my weak link because I can only do around 115 on the good mornings and around 20 full range GHRs.

slashkills
06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Can you move around now without any pain? If so i think you could start lifting. I would take it easy though and take small steps so that you dont rehurt yourself. If you start feeling pain during a lift stop.

By the numbers you gave it looks like you do have a muscle imbalance. What does your routine look like? I think that your injury may have been due to lack of flexibility. Do you stretch before and after workouts? Also i think that for low box squats westside training says use a wider stance. That may also help you out some.

fudgeorama
06-04-2009, 05:14 AM
I have a little soreness above my left hip, but it doesn't hurt when I do extensions. I am using the Westside basic template, which I have used before. I not as flexible as I used to be (full splits) but I am more flexible than most (can put my head to my knee). I try to stretch at work or at night. The only warmup I do is the sets before the lift. Some days I walk about a mile before my workout. I workout in the morning so my time is limited. What would be a good quick warmup.

Sensei
06-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Excessive lower back flexion (the 'butt wink') is something you want to avoid when squatting. There have been a lot of threads about this and a search would turn up some helpful info.

Here are a couple to get you started:
http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/06/squats-lower-back-pain.html
http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/07/squats-lower-back-pain-part-ii.html