PDA

View Full Version : J's Journey

Janie
06-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Yeah...I'm a girl and I love to lift heavy stuff!! I just started to lift heavy. I have been lifting for 3 months or so. I am actually doing my first meet this month....and another in 5 months.

My current lifts are:
deadlift-265
bp-145
squat-185lbs below parallel, 225lbs at parallel

My immediate goals are:
1. Form, form, form and correct technique
2. Increase weight on lifts
3. Have successful lifts @ meet

I like the info on this site...I will track my lifts on a regular basis. I welcome feedback and suggestions!!

I normally add some cardio after lifting...sprints and jump rope.

Janie
06-05-2009, 09:41 PM
It was great!!

Deadlift

1x8-65 lbs
1x8-135lbs
2x5-185
1x5-205
1x1-225
1x2-245
1x2-275lbs!!!! (<--actually 279 the plates are more than 45lbs) Damn!! closer to 300lbs!!

Rack Pulls
4x3-225lbs

Shrugs
3x8-45lbs

some ab work

I am thinking about getting rid of the cardio 10 days before the meet....

tomv
06-06-2009, 02:57 AM
G'day Janie,

looks like some intense training goin on in here dudette, hope you keep seeing progressions and smash some weight at the meet. Out of curiousity, where do you train? That is, are you training by yourself or out of a gym with some other PL's?

Janie
06-06-2009, 04:14 PM
hey tomv
I train with @ a gym with two other lifters (males). One of which is a powerlifter.

cardio
2 miles-- sprints
5 mins of the jump rope
Back is a little sore from the deadlifting. So I will do some stretching, massaging, and ice packing this week-end.

Janie
06-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Squats

1x10-65lbs
2x5-135
2x2-185
3x3-215
attempted 225 failed! I need help gettin' up!
2x5-135

I worked on breaking parralled w/ every rep. Got under parallel majority of the time.

abs
3x10-leg raises
planks 60 seconds 5x

Diet was good. Got on the scale and dropped 2 lbs!! I also dropped the cardio this week-I could have waited another week before doing so... Not too happy about that ..

lil' power
06-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Welcome Janie! Always great to have another girl journaling here. You should get some good advice around here and the guys are very supportive.

Good luck in your meet and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

benno
06-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Looking pretty strong! Keep working hard, all the best.

Janie
06-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Well thanks you two for stopping by!!

Bench

1x5-65lbs
2x8-95
2x5-115
3x5-125
2x2-135
Notes: I benched up to 125 w/ no spotter. When I hit 135 I did use spotter. I do feel good about the 135. I focused on pauses and leg drive to explode up and lock out. I lift using very little leg drive...I have been working on that for the past two weeks...using more leg drive to drive up the lift.

close grip
3x8-95 lbs
1x6-105 lbs

tri pull downs
3x6
tri kickbacks
3x6

incline barbell bench
2x6-65lbs
1x6-95lbs

It was a good session. Diet was good. Water intake was good ( 2 liters plus) I did carb up today for the lifts...
My weakness is are my tri's...so I am working on that as well.

lil' power
06-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Well thanks you two for stopping by!!

I lift using very little leg drive...I have been working on that for the past two weeks...using more leg drive to drive up the lift.

tri pull downs
3x6
tri kickbacks
3x6

My weakness is are my tri's...so I am working on that as well.

Yes, form is crucial. I'm still learning on getting lats to stay tight and utilizing leg drive on my bench...it's been at least a year and I still have work to do on it!!

If you want, we can suggest a few more tri exercises to help your bench out...also want to work those tricep extensors....maybe some Tates (light) and rolling DB extensions.

Janie
06-11-2009, 10:10 AM
hey Lil Power...

yeah, if y'all can suggest some tri ex that would be great! I struggle with tris now. I can bring the bar down to my chest but I struggle about an inch up...once I can get over that initial push from chest I can explode up and lock out.

lil' power
06-11-2009, 11:17 AM
hey Lil Power...

yeah, if y'all can suggest some tri ex that would be great! I struggle with tris now. I can bring the bar down to my chest but I struggle about an inch up...once I can get over that initial push from chest I can explode up and lock out.

Lockout is your tri strength, off the chest is where most raw benchers have their issues.

Off the chest, I make sure I tuck my elbows in, but not usually to the same degree of a shirted bencher, and work on keeping your lats tight and getting some off the chest strength from the lats.

Lones Green
06-11-2009, 11:37 AM
If you post some video of your heavier weights in all 3 lifts, even video of failed attempts would be great it'd be a lot easier for us to help you out.

I'm not really sure what you meant by getting stuck an inch off the chest...if thats what you meant, then thats not triceps - thats chest, lats, upper back, and shoulders. For help off the chest you should be doing speed work, DB presses, paused reps, heavy lat work, some lateral raises, etc.

If its your lockout you're having trouble with that IS triceps, and you want to be doing a lot of tate presses, rolling dumbbell extensions, high board presses, etc. (you should be doing these even if you AREN'T having trouble with the lockout)

Let me know what you think

Janie
06-12-2009, 09:58 AM
If you post some video of your heavier weights in all 3 lifts, even video of failed attempts would be great it'd be a lot easier for us to help you out.

I'm not really sure what you meant by getting stuck an inch off the chest...if thats what you meant, then thats not triceps - thats chest, lats, upper back, and shoulders. For help off the chest you should be doing speed work, DB presses, paused reps, heavy lat work, some lateral raises, etc.

If its your lockout you're having trouble with that IS triceps, and you want to be doing a lot of tate presses, rolling dumbbell extensions, high board presses, etc. (you should be doing these even if you AREN'T having trouble with the lockout)

Let me know what you think

Makes sense. And yeah I agree I need to post some videos, it will help a whole lot! I will post the three lifts soon.

hmmm...I guess I mean I can bring the bar to chest, pause it, attempt to explode up but it is kinda slow to start...then once I get higher I can lock out.--video would best explain it.

I have done all of the movements you have described with the exception of the board presses and rolling dumbell extentions. I think I just need to build overall strength now that I am pushing heavier weight.

I tend to do heavier lat work on days I deadlift.

thanks for the response...give me lots to think about.

Janie
06-12-2009, 11:30 PM
I had an awesome session.

I pulled 285 on a deadlift!!! It took a while to lock out...nothing that would count in a meet tho.
275 is a good pull for me with good form.

deadlifts
1x6-95lbs
2x5-135
1x5-225
1x2-275
1x5-225
1x8-135

yeah I did attempted 315 --three plates...what was I thinkin??? I am thinkin' I am bonnie bad a$$...but I am not. I got it off the ground, but no pull.

I also did some good mornings
3x8-85lbs

notes: I was in a rush today, but I still felt like I had a good session today. I wanted to so some lat work, but I had no time. Diet is good...feeling good. I anticipate a good meet this month. Nothing spectacular...just to get my feet wet. The more lifting I do the more I find out there is a lot I need to learn. I am so motivated to learn more!

koyongi
08-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Janie!

This is Becky, from Wild Iron...

It was great to have you yesterday, and very cool that you came all the way up to train with us... Unfortunately, Marcus didn't warn us that you were coming, and I think I missed out on introduction time, since I was late!

But anyway... I felt kinda bad that I wasn't more helpful when you were here. I figured you'd be back, and I didn't want to be too overbearing on your first visit! (That, and I'm kinda shy when I first meet people...)

Sooooo...in short, you've got a REALLY strong squat, keep it up! You're very quad-dominant, though (like most of us), and could really benefit from a wider stance and putting more emphasis on your glutes and hams. It sucks trying to change when you first start off, but in the long run, you can squat more. Both of the stupid-looking exercises we were doing on the boxes (the band "Yes-machine" and the one where you try to fire your glutes to get you off the box) would be super-helpful for you...and I don't think you'll need the hair-pulling partner for you to master them.

...and finally, are you on facebook or use e-mail or something? I just kind of e-stalked Marcus to find you on here...

Janie
09-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Hey Becky!!!

You found this journal...haha I stopped making entries. Anyhow, no worries:) I am pretty shy when I first meet people as well. Like I had expressed to Marcus, I enjoy watching these vidoes AND it is so awesome to watch y'all ladies lift. I lift with the boys...so it was exciting to lift with females.
Yes, it is quite a drive. I had planned on going in on Sunday, but uh...that did not happened. I have family in the area.

Yea-- I have been working on a wider stance squat. My lifting partners have been helping me with the squat and widening my stance. The guys started me on the box squating off a 12" box about a month ago? I think? It has helped A LOT!!

Ya know...I am going to have to start a Facebook...all the cool kids have 'em!