PDA

View Full Version : Deads and Shins

getting there
06-04-2009, 06:13 AM
I did a search on the forums about shin protection when doing deads and the consensus was that either, tape, long socks, sweatpants, or a combo of both would alleviate scraping them. Well I have tried all the variations and nothing seems to help. I still scrape open my my shins to the point of bleeding. So much so that I have to wipe up the blood between sets. Aside for a general health standpoint(possibility of contracting staph, MRSA, etc. from an open wound in the gym), I hate having a perpetual wound on my legs. Are there other options I could try? Maybe shin guards? Would they mess up my form at all? I pull conventional.

Thanks in advance!

Travis Bell
06-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Just don't pull the bar quite so close to you I guess.

Most people just get used to having scabs on their shins though

Don't wear shin guards though

Brian Hopper
06-04-2009, 07:58 AM
I wear soccer socks to protect my shins. Reason being is because I had a really bad staph infection and im afraid to get it again and I wouldnt want someone else to get it so I just protect my shins with the socks. Sometimes I will still bleed but not as bad, and wearing protection shouldnt hurt your form. Like Travis said DO NOT wear shin guards, thats a little to much. I would suggest wearing sweat pants or knee high style socks. Hope this helps!!!

-JM-
06-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Sweat pants seem to bunch up a lot at the thighs. At least with me they do. High socks should do the trick.

Not everyone shreds their shins. It depends on the individual's anthropmetry I guess.

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/images/uploads/CWTS01.jpg

Edit: Just noticed you mentioned having tried socks, oops!

What about pulling sumo if it is that bad? and maybe some baby powder?

Reko
06-04-2009, 08:45 AM
I've never had an issue with DL and shins. I guess I pull farther out than most?

How do you bleed through duct tape?

Chris Rodgers
06-04-2009, 08:48 AM

I've done it! It sucks!! I would wrap the hell out of my shins with duct tape, but if I did a lot of volume it would start to tear through! Now I use The long socks to keep blood off the bar and if I have a real nasty scab, I put tape over it(underneath the sock). I prefer electrical tape as duct tape hurts like balls coming off!

getting there
06-04-2009, 09:27 AM

I think it may be the knurling on the bar but I will try it again with tape and socks and see what happens.

BigTallOx
06-04-2009, 09:57 AM
When I pull conventional I bang up my shins. Soccer socks help slightly, they mostly just keep the blood from running down my leg though, ie I still can get bloody skins with soccer socks. I hate pulling in sweat pants, I tried that once and hate how they bunch up when you get the bar up on your thigh. That's kind of why I switched to (semi) sumo, I never have a problem with bloody shins pulling that way, and I found that I can pull more weight too.

MarcusWild
06-04-2009, 10:32 AM
If you're cutting your shins that bad through socks, just think of all the weight you're giving up because of all that drag. If you take a 20 oz soda bottle and cut it then you have inexpensive, thin shin guards.

Brian C
06-04-2009, 10:47 AM
If you take a 20 oz soda bottle and cut it then you have inexpensive, thin shin guards.

Great idea

Big_Byrd52
06-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I dont see why u wouldnt or shouldnt wear shin gaurds; they are allowed. I know several guys who use them then pull high socks over them. I personally use my Re-band knee sleeves. they are thick neoprene and keep me from destroying my shins.

getting there
06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I dont see why u wouldnt or shouldnt wear shin gaurds; they are allowed. I know several guys who use them then pull high socks over them. I personally use my Re-band knee sleeves. they are thick neoprene and keep me from destroying my shins.

I just was looking on the APT website and I think I will order the Rehband Calf Shin Sleeve. The weird thing is that when I measured my claves, my left was a full 2cm bigger then my right. Never knew that before.

Notorious
06-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I think a lot of people pull back too hard. It is very possible to keep the bar in contact with your body at all times and still not scrape your shins badly.

BigTallOx
06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
It is very possible to keep the bar in contact with your body at all times and still not scrape your shins badly.

I think that's a generalization that's not always true. Try pulling conventional with a 39" inseam. It's nearly impossible to not scrape shins ( unless I keep my shoulder way in front, but then it becomes all lower back ).

Hazerboy
06-04-2009, 01:45 PM
yeah I've never had this problem for some reason. I wonder if its because I don't pull back enough?

Stew
06-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Could also tape over the knurling on the bar where it contacts your shin. Use something that won't leave any residue, electrical tape or something similar. Doesn't even have to be tape now that I think about it.

samadhi_smiles
06-05-2009, 07:29 AM
You can also grind down the knurl with a file. Don't grind it away but a few good hard strokes (lol) with a file should take the bite off.

getting there
06-05-2009, 08:03 AM
You can also grind down the knurl with a file. Don't grind it away but a few good hard strokes (lol) with a file should take the bite off.

I would have no problem doing that if it was my own bar, but I can just imagine what would happen if the staff at my gym saw me break out a file and start to use it on the bar :omg: LOL

samadhi_smiles
06-05-2009, 08:12 AM
ahahhaha ok good point :D

samadhi_smiles
06-05-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm curious why you were advised not to wear shin guards. Sees the perfect option to me, but is it because it would mess up movement or something? They have really slim shin guards (but still thick enough to protect you).

dgunnermuro
06-05-2009, 08:45 AM
If you're cutting your shins that bad through socks, just think of all the weight you're giving up because of all that drag. If you take a 20 oz soda bottle and cut it then you have inexpensive, thin shin guards.

Ditto this. We have some lifters that cut the sides out of a protein jug and slip that into their socks. It's pre-formed to curl around the shin, nice and thin, barely notice it's there...works like a charm.