PDA

View Full Version : Q's about seminars

Cricket_Fire
06-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Hey all. This one is mainly for people who've helped run seminars, although any input is appreciated.

My gym owner approached me today and asked if I'd be willing to run a powerlifting seminar. I'll be bringing in people smarter than me to help coach and such haha (he asked if I'd do it but I wouldn't feel comfortable teaching anyone how to bench), but I'll be doing most of the organizing/running of it.

I was just wondering how most seminars are run; do you go through the mechanics/technique of the lift, then have the participants do it, and you make suggestions on all their techniques?

Also, our seminar is gonna be aimed at a lot of the highschool kids aswell; would you change anything with this in mind?

Thanks for any help you can give,
Keenan

MarcusWild
06-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I went to the Louie Simmons seminar at Super Training. That one was two days, because it's Louie and a ton of people showed up.

I think you could do it in one day. Most people do a talk/lecture part and then hands on technique help afterwards. I actually think that's backwards. I think you should do the hands on technique stuff (including accessory stuff), then go over how to implement the new ideas into your training. I think the lecture part would make more sense that way.

DrDudley-Robey
06-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Teach, demo, student lifting, review, Q&A is the basic template I use when running a bench press seminar. You adapt this format to your group and needs. Note if you are focusing on High-School aged kids have a very strong waver in place signed by the legal guardian!

vdizenzo
06-07-2009, 07:02 PM
-Lecture/Q&A
-Demo proper setup
-Take each lifter through setup
-Train (I train with the lifters)
-Wrap up with short Q&A

Having good people with you is a must. Rhodes and I work really well together presenting. He can see and explain things I sometimes can't. Of course it's good to have a Karsten DD present. We rent him out for a tin of dip and a Gatorade, but it's got to be a 32 ozer.

Cricket_Fire
06-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys :) . I'll be sure to update as to how it goes (if it goes haha)

Vin - I'll deffinatly be sure to have some good people with me haha - I'd be fine with doing the squat, but wouldn't feel comfortable trying to teach people how to bench when I still suck at it haha

Looks like one of our new training partners might be able to talk briefly about MMA during the Q&A (had a few pro fights and a bunch of amateur), which might bring in even more people.

Thanks again :moon: