PDA

View Full Version : back soreness from bench

Hazerboy
06-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Lately I've been getting really sore in my mid back from benching, on the very long muscles that run close to your spine. I tried wearing a belt and that helped a little bit, but not too much.

The soreness isn't whats annoying though--sometimes I'll cramp up bad during a set. Do you think this is a problem with my form or does everyone experience this?

Ben Moore
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Drink more water and add in some more back work.

Reko
06-04-2009, 02:06 PM
like the upper part of your spinal erectors or the lower part of your traps?

Clifford Gillmore
06-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Maybe some seated power cleans as an assistance exercise and band pull aparts for rehab/active recovery?

Jeff Garvin
06-04-2009, 03:15 PM
You need to stretch your back out more before you bench. One exercise that helped me was the Cobra stretch. When I bench everything except my chest hurts. Everything must be so tight and you must be uncomfortable when you bench!

ChickenLegs83
06-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Lately I've been getting really sore in my mid back from benching, on the very long muscles that run close to your spine. I tried wearing a belt and that helped a little bit, but not too much.

The soreness isn't whats annoying though--sometimes I'll cramp up bad during a set. Do you think this is a problem with my form or does everyone experience this?

Do you train full-power?

What's your back work look like?

Hazerboy
06-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Do you train full-power?

What's your back work look like?

LOL yes I train full power, I think I would be one of the worst bench only competitors out there. I do regular deadlift/squat work, and I used to do a LOT of good mornings and rows. Regular bb rows I haven't done in awhile, they got pretty boring. Maybe I should start doing them agian. I still do lots of chinup work along with other back accessory stuff. If you're really interested my journal is here: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2151048#post2151048

So yeah. maybe I am lacking in the back department, or have some specific weaknesses?

Its the really thick muscles right above my lower back but underneath my shoulder blades. They've gotten a little sore before though never THIS sore--my friday squat workout is not going to be fun...

Here's a pic. the long thick muscles around there.

ChickenLegs83
06-04-2009, 05:57 PM
LOL yes I train full power, I think I would be one of the worst bench only competitors out there. I do regular deadlift/squat work, and I used to do a LOT of good mornings and rows. Regular bb rows I haven't done in awhile, they got pretty boring. Maybe I should start doing them agian. I still do lots of chinup work along with other back accessory stuff. If you're really interested my journal is here: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2151048#post2151048

So yeah. maybe I am lacking in the back department, or have some specific weaknesses?

Its the really thick muscles right above my lower back but underneath my shoulder blades. They've gotten a little sore before though never THIS sore--my friday squat workout is not going to be fun...

Here's a pic. the long thick muscles around there.

1.) I'll look @your journal when I have more time.

2.) Why did you "used to" do a lot of GMs and rows? What happened?

3.) Do you do pulldowns?

4.) Nice pic--I was ready for a blurry camera pic of a powerlifter's hairy lower back/ass crack. :moon:

Rob Luyando
06-05-2009, 07:30 AM
Get your self a foam roaller from elite. Work with it to strech your back. Also work your back harder!

Hazerboy
06-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Get your self a foam roaller from elite. Work with it to strech your back. Also work your back harder!

My gym actually has a foam roller so I'll probably be getting in some time with it soon. Anything specific you would suggest for back work?

Pete22
06-05-2009, 03:07 PM

Yeah my back was more fried from benching then it was deadlifting at my last meet. Mine usually only cramps occasionally when I'm shirted and trying to arch extra hard, if that makes sense.

Ben Moore
06-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Does it hurt when you breathe? Could also be a rib out of place - just brainstorming....

Hazerboy
06-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Does it hurt when you breathe? Could also be a rib out of place - just brainstorming....

Naw, just feels like regular ol' soreness, only way more intense than usual. I probably just need to suck it up, mostly I was just making sure this sort of thing is usual XD

Brian C
06-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I have soreness/pain in the thorasic area of my back from benching. The chiropractor told me to stop benching. I told him to blow me.