PDA

View Full Version : Bike riding fo cardio / losing fat

bass slayer
06-04-2009, 01:53 PM
I am getting a little bit more fat than what I would like. Its not alot, but just makes me feel a little self conscience. I want to do some cardio, but I hate walking on treadmills and hate running. I do like biking though. Would biking like 5 miles, 3 times a week be a good way to compete with the fat. I know it hits your leg muscles pretty good but will it hit your stomach fat much? What do ya say?

samadhi_smiles
06-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I ride the bike every morning (stationary) and when I go to school I commute on bike (2.5 miles each way every day). I usually end up riding about 10 miles in a day. You have to increase caloric intake if you'd still like to gain muscle, but its an excellent way to put a 'governor' on fat gains. If you're gaining too much fat then yes, upping cardio will slow that gain (as long as you don't start eating a ton because your metabolism spikes from the cardio).

Actually doing cardio is awesome for bulking (imo) because it makes you REAL hungry and you can eat past the 'compensation point' for the aerobic activity so you can go even further into overfeeding surplus (if you're finding it difficult to get your cals in).

dlew
06-04-2009, 02:53 PM
5 miles wouldn't do a whole lot for you once your muscles get used to the movement. Add at least 15 or 20 miles to that and you'll start to see some benefits. But yes, it's a great way to burn some fat.

kmagnuss
06-04-2009, 03:17 PM
5 miles is barely a warm up. Start doing 25-30, 3-4 times per week and the fat will melt.

Also...you can't specifically target 'stomach fat'. Your body will drop the flab as it sees fit.

Lucky_No13
06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
I am getting a little bit more fat than what I would like. Its not alot, but just makes me feel a little self conscience. I want to do some cardio, but I hate walking on treadmills and hate running. I do like biking though. Would biking like 5 miles, 3 times a week be a good way to compete with the fat. I know it hits your leg muscles pretty good but will it hit your stomach fat much? What do ya say?

You can't target the "stomach fat". Fat will come off in the reverse order that it was put on. So since the stomach is the first place men gain fat, it will be the last to lose it. That being said biking is good for fat loss, but I agree with dlew that you'll have to do more than 5 miles. Maybe try HIIT on the bike.

Lucky_No13
06-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Also...you can't specifically target 'stomach fat'. Your body will drop the flab as it sees fit.

You beat me to it by 1 minute.

bass slayer
06-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Alright then, Ill probably have to work up to 30 miles then. I havent done any biking in a while so I will probably start off light. I have alot of country by my house so I wont run out of road. I lose weight so easily. Do you think if I lift balls to the wall, do alot of biking and then eat above maintenance, I will get more muscle but also lean at the same time?

benno
06-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Alright then, Ill probably have to work up to 30 miles then. I havent done any biking in a while so I will probably start off light. I have alot of country by my house so I wont run out of road. I lose weight so easily. Do you think if I lift balls to the wall, do alot of biking and then eat above maintenance, I will get more muscle but also lean at the same time?

A lot of getting more muscle and leaner muscle is more your training. If your training to your highest ability by doing big movements ( Squats,Deads,Bench,Pullups,Dips etc) with a good quality diet you will find u will put on lean muscle mass. But yes, your cardio does play a minor part but more so your DIET/TRAINING.

Joshua_P
06-04-2009, 08:52 PM

30 miles is no joke...That would take me about 2 hours, and is a serious cardio workout (unless you go really slow). Nor is it exactly the type of workout you would want if you were trying to get serious muscle gains. I figure two hours of biking would have the same catabolic affects of running. My friend who I lifted with last fall was a cross country runner, and he ate twice as much as me and didnt gain an ounce. I would go for some HIIT, or Tabata on a bike.

kmagnuss
06-04-2009, 10:10 PM
On a good road bike, 30 miles isn't much...and can be done in 1.5 hours by an average rider without even breathing heavy (on level ground). A better rider (not pro level, just good) can keep a 25 mph pace for 100 miles (and still wouldn't finish top ten in most amateur races).

Mountain bikes though, are a whole other story.

dlew
06-04-2009, 11:06 PM
On a good road bike, 30 miles isn't much...and can be done in 1.5 hours by an average rider without even breathing heavy (on level ground). A better rider (not pro level, just good) can keep a 25 mph pace for 100 miles (and still wouldn't finish top ten in most amateur races).

Mountain bikes though, are a whole other story.An average rider averages 20mph for 90 minutes? I'd say that average rider does more in the 16-19 mph range. And a 25mph pace will get you out of CAT 5 pretty darn quickly. And speed has little to do with the bike, it's all about miles in the saddle, strength and technique. One more thing, the average road rider will smoke the average mtb rider on climbs. :hello:

platypus
06-05-2009, 01:09 AM
i'm prettty sure cardio does not target specific parts of the body. it simply will take off fat. it's not like doing ab workouts specifically takes off the fat in your core.

anyway, if you like biking go for it. personally i love playing pickup games of basketball and ultimate frisbee for my cardio. i don't like doing an activity simply for the cardio, so i try to find things i'm interested in and have fun doing. that's what it's all about.

Joshua_P
06-05-2009, 09:16 AM
An average rider averages 20mph for 90 minutes? I'd say that average rider does more in the 16-19 mph range. And a 25mph pace will get you out of CAT 5 pretty darn quickly. And speed has little to do with the bike, it's all about miles in the saddle, strength and technique. One more thing, the average road rider will smoke the average mtb rider on climbs. :hello:

I was gonna say...your average rider definately does not hold 20mph for 90 minutes, even with a super expensive carbon bike with performance geometry, a "better" rider could not hold 25mph for 100 miles...That would take years of practice and aerobic training, like dlew said. I dont think the OP is looking for this kind of training in addition to his lifting.
Im not sure if he wants to drop the 900+$ it takes for a decent road bike to achieve these times and training, either.