PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifts, diet, and biceps

bluelew
06-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Couple of questions from a guy just getting back to PL.

1. Which bicep is more vulnerable to rupture during deadlifts- I'm assuming the one with palms out (undergripped) as opposed to the one overgripped? Is there any difference safety wise (with regard to the bicep) with regard to sumo or traditional styles? My other passion is guitar and I don't want to mess my arm up.
2. Just started the Metabolic Diet by Mauro G. Di Pasquale. Any opinions on it?

Sidior
06-04-2009, 10:38 PM
1. underhand, but you should not have any issues as long as you are not jerking the bar off the ground
2. no comment, have not read it

thegreatone
06-05-2009, 03:16 AM
2. Just started the Metabolic Diet by Mauro G. Di Pasquale. Any opinions on it?

This http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-ketogenic-diet is a better option. If you are dead set on the AD (BTW AD is the Anabolic Diet and it's pretty much the same as the MD and MD is a little more flexible with CHO levels) here are some tweaks I would do.

1. The recommendations for starting calories are too high. I think he says BW*18 I would start lower than that. More like 14-15*BW.

2. Set limits on the CHO loads and during the CHO loads keep the fat under 50g. Look on the Body Recomposition forums for the specs on refeeds. AD guidelines are too loose.

3. Don't go crazy with your fat intake on the low CHO days. I would try to keep in around 100-125g. For me personally that's even a little high.

I followed the AD strictly for a few months and ended up getting fat and feeling like ****. I have much better results with a TKD (targeted Keto Diet) and CKD (cyclic keto diet) than with the AD and I think because the guidelines are laid out much better in L.McDonald's books. AD is a CKD but I think it's lacking in some areas.

HP666
06-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I would check out Dave Palumbo's version of the Keto Diet if I were you. Do a google search of Palumbo's Keto diet and you can find all kinds of good info.

bluelew
06-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Cool info- i will check into those. Any opinions on form to prevent biceps injury on deadlifts?

vdizenzo
06-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Cool info- i will check into those. Any opinions on form to prevent biceps injury on deadlifts?

Flex your triceps while deadlifting. It will keep you from pulling up on the bar with your biceps.

Lones Green
06-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Flex your triceps while deadlifting. It will keep you from pulling up on the bar with your biceps.

Thats a great tip, I always try to keep my arms hanging, but thats an even better cue