PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled time off question

fulldaddy
06-05-2009, 06:34 AM
I would like to hear some thoughts on how you guys incorporate scheduled time off into your training cycles. I realize this is very individualized and competition frequency plays a big part in this.

Basically since Jan 1st of this year I have been training for a meet (2 meets done - close to a 3rd). Beside the down time the week of a meet, taking a few days off after a meet but resuming light training by mid week - I have trained non stop. I know better but I love to workout & honestly I am scared to take time off because I've been in one hell of a groove. I started working out 24 years ago so I know my body and while I've tried to ignore the signs my body is telling me I better chill out for a little while.

As always - thank you guys for taking the time to share your thoughts & experiences.

Rob Luyando
06-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Time off is for pussy lifters. Unless your seriously injured no need to take time off. You can continue to train just after meets just lighten your load for a couple weeks to give your body some time to heal.

fulldaddy
06-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Thanks Rob - guys from Illinios tell it like it is ha ha. I guess one clarification I do need to make is that for me to truly take a week off & do nothing would kill me. I could see myself altering my training a little & going lighter for a week - maybe two but not much more.

samadhi_smiles
06-05-2009, 07:36 AM
why would it kill you? what do you mean? out of boredom or something? If I've been hitting it hard taking a week off can actually make me set PRs much easier the week after. Its all about gains right?

Rob Luyando
06-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks Rob - guys from Illinios tell it like it is ha ha. I guess one clarification I do need to make is that for me to truly take a week off & do nothing would kill me. I could see myself altering my training a little & going lighter for a week - maybe two but not much more.

I was born in New York so blame my attitude on New York. LOL! Taking a full week off is cool if you need to. Take a vacation or go fishing.

Ryano
06-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Taking a full week off is cool if you need to. Take a vacation or go fishing.

Fishing is for pussies. Go Skydiving.:evillaugh:

samadhi_smiles
06-05-2009, 07:55 AM
I've got about 125 skydives but have fished my whole life...there's still nothing better than catching a wild trout on barbless dry fly in the middle of wilderness with nobody else around :)

Rob Luyando
06-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Fishing is for pussies. Go Skydiving.:evillaugh:

Now thats messed up why in the world would you jump out of a perfectly good plane? I understand why you drink buttweiser now.

fulldaddy
06-05-2009, 08:23 AM
I was born in New York so blame my attitude on New York. LOL! Taking a full week off is cool if you need to. Take a vacation or go fishing.

What is funny is that I was going to say Illinios & East coast dudes tell it like it is. I sure as hell won't be ski diving (I am so scared of heights I pee a little when I think of jumping out of a plane) but I will probably try to make it through the next week or two of my current training cycle, hit some training PR's and then just spend a week being active outside (active rest).

To SS - I guess to answer your question - I haven't been this consistant with my training in 9 or 10 years so honestly I am afraid to stop. Last August I started training for my first meet since I was 16 and the motivation behind it was to have something to train for that would hold me accountable to my workouts. I love the sport and have truly enjoyed the journey.

robchris
06-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Full daddy,

I'm like you. I hate to take off too esp. when I'm hitting some good PR's and I'm not nursing any injuries. I generally do take a week to 5-days off after a meet though. Listen to your body... Have you checked your resting heart rate lately? Are you sleeping good? If the HR is elevated from your norm or you're not sleeping soundly then you may be slightly overtrained.

Take a 1/2 week off at least after the meet and I guarantee you'll come back stronger and mentally refreshed, ready to destroy some hvy. weights!!!

Ryano
06-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Full daddy,

Have you checked your resting heart rate lately? Are you sleeping good? If the HR is elevated from your norm or you're not sleeping soundly then you may be slightly overtrained.

Take a 1/2 week off at least after the meet and I guarantee you'll come back stronger and mentally refreshed, ready to destroy some hvy. weights!!!

WTF? I have to respond to this. Taking 1/2 week(3-4 days off) will NOT help you if you have an elevated heart rate, high blood pressure, or any other cardiovascular problems. Nor will it help if you have sleep apnea. Symptoms like these are caused by more serious problems than imagined overtraining. (Rhodes will like that).

If you hurt because you are injured, take time off to heal. If you are sore from working out, eat more, rest more, lift more. You said you've been lifting for 24 years so you should know the difference between pain from an injury and just soreness from working out.