PDA

View Full Version : Bencher8 will like this. Rob won't like this.

MarcusWild
06-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Since we've had some debate on bands in a shirt. I did shirted bench against bands last night. My wrists felt like they were going to explode, and they still hurt.

I wanted to get an idea of where my lockout is at. In 2 weeks, I'll go full range straight weight. I'm also hoping for some feedback on form/technique, since there are some great benchers here.

dCFdzRuq2zM

barbell01
06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
becky is an animal!

Brian C
06-05-2009, 12:39 PM
becky is an animal!

Bump

Looking good Marcus

MarcusWild
06-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks Brian.

Becky is definitely getting stronger. The downer is USPF doesn't have a raw division, so her totals there don't count as raw for the lifter rankings.

I freaking hate benching. I set a 50 lb PR in a shirt and guys like Travis are hitting the same weights raw. There's a lot more work to do.

Rob Luyando
06-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Since you put a cute girl in the video I will go easy on you Marcus. Bencher8 will chime in but the raw band work the bar needs to drop alot faster. Fast down fast up is the way I was taught by the legendary cheater himself (Bencher8) As for Marcus stuff in the shirt not sure what the bar speed is supose to be.

isaku900
06-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Since you put a cute girl in the video I will go easy on you Marcus. Bencher8 will chime in but the raw band work the bar needs to drop alot faster. Fast down fast up is the way I was taught by the legendary cheater himself (Bencher8) As for Marcus stuff in the shirt not sure what the bar speed is supose to be.

but it was scary!

bencher8
06-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Nice work Marcus! First, Rob is right(course he should be cause I told him how to do it lol) when benching raw with bands the rule is "fast down, fast up". The bar speed on the way down has to be fast as well. Drop that sucker and smack the brds! Im gonna put up a vid of me benching with bands raw soon, so everyone can see how I do it. They might not agree with how I do it, but it works...

The first sets in the shirt were rough, but the 445 and 455 was right. Bar speed on the way down in the shirt cant be super fast, but the key to it is to fire the triceps right off the brd and "outrun" the band to lockout. In other words, dont wait till you are at lockout to fire your triceps.

MarcusWild
06-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Rob was nice. Note to self, put Becky in all videos, haha!

Paul,

Thanks. Yeah, they got easier as I went heavier. I'm not sure if that was me finding the groove or more weight just forcing me down faster. I look forward to seeing video of your raw work vs. bands.

Brian C
06-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Im gonna put up a vid of me benching with bands raw soon, so everyone can see how I do it. .

Can't wait

Rob Luyando
06-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Rob was nice. Note to self, put Becky in all videos, haha

Thats not something that happens everyday so I would sugest less clothing as well. LOL!:evillaugh:

Jason198
06-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Great video I enjoyed watching it. What weight class is she in? she is super strong, and nice board work.

MarcusWild
06-06-2009, 07:37 PM
She's 132 and ranked #3 raw.

Rob Luyando
06-07-2009, 08:59 AM
She's 132 and ranked #3 raw.

Tell her I said quit beeing a pussy and take the #1 spot and then get into a shirt. She has a strong base and with proper training she could be a force to be dealt with in a shirt.

Kenny Croxdale
06-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Since we've had some debate on bands in a shirt. I did shirted bench against bands last night. My wrists felt like they were going to explode, and they still hurt.

I wanted to get an idea of where my lockout is at. In 2 weeks, I'll go full range straight weight. I'm also hoping for some feedback on form/technique, since there are some great benchers here.

dCFdzRuq2zM

Marcus,

One of the thing I find intersting is you eccentric bar speed (how fast you lower the bar). Allowing the downward speed of the bar to accelerate too much in a bench press or squat, magnifies the bar weight (Research Dr Tom McLaughlin). While McLaughlin's research was in the post bench press shirt era, some adhearance still need to be applied when using bench shirt.

With that said, you eccentric bar speed is great. You're definitely in control of the bar, all the way.

Great concentric bar speed. The bar (for the load you have) is really moving.

Nice arch and excellent leg drive.

At the end of the video, Becky is performing reps with 135 lbs progressively with the use of board is a great idea. I am going use that in my program.

Kenny Croxdale

MarcusWild
06-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Tell her I said quit beeing a pussy and take the #1 spot and then get into a shirt. She has a strong base and with proper training she could be a force to be dealt with in a shirt.

She's only 20 lbs from #1. The downfall is USPF doesn't have a raw division so her lifts at USPF nationals won't be recognized as raw. If you make the world team then you get free gear and she'll have to try it. I guess she tried a bench shirt a few years ago before she trained with us. It didn't fit right and she didn't like it.

Mark needs to get you out for a seminar. I keep bugging him about it. We go up to super traing once a month to get help from them.

Kenny,

Thanks. We are always trying new thing. We keep what works and toss what doesn't.

Rob Luyando
06-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Marcus I am meeting with my shirt guru tuesday. I will PM you with what exactly I need for measurements. I will get one to fit becky if she wants to once she takes the raw record. As for the Seminar thing Mark and I have been discussing the matter.

Kenny Croxdale
06-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Kenny,

Thanks. We are always trying new thing. We keep what works and toss what doesn't.

Marcus,

As my daddy said, "If you want to be good, borrow ideas from others. If you want to be great, steal 'em." So, I am stealing this one from you...but I'll give you credit for it....:)

Kenny

Ron C
06-08-2009, 09:44 AM
The work at the end is called "triceps death". Made famous by Glenn Bushelain (sp?) They did it a little differently. 5 reps to the chest then 1,2,3,4,5 board then back down 4,3,2,1 chest. All done without racking the weight. This will blow you up beyond belief.

isaku900
06-08-2009, 10:56 AM
The work at the end is called "triceps death". Made famous by Glenn Bushelain (sp?) They did it a little differently. 5 reps to the chest then 1,2,3,4,5 board then back down 4,3,2,1 chest. All done without racking the weight. This will blow you up beyond belief.

yup, but did they do it with bodyweight like Becky's doing?

lol, we just modify it to where we can get the reps done and its still pretty darn effective.

MarcusWild
06-08-2009, 10:57 AM
haha, yeah I stole it from someone else. There's also McCaslin boards where you only do boards 3-5 for 5 reps at each board.

Ron C
06-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I don't know what Glenn weighed, but he did them with 225.

The McCaslin's rack the weight between each board. They don't take there hands off the bar, but they do rack it.

they're both great ways to hammer the tri's.