PDA

View Full Version : getting kicked out of ketosis

cwny69
04-17-2002, 06:09 PM
i just started a ckd today and id like to know can 2 diet cokes a day kick you out of ketosis

millertime
04-18-2002, 03:47 PM
Diet coke can't kick you out of ketosis. Its diet coke there is no carbs it nura sweet. Drink all the coke you want.

cwny69
04-18-2002, 05:16 PM
nutra sweet has like a gram of sugar

K-Daddy
04-18-2002, 07:40 PM
Diet Coke, as well as almost any other diet soft drink, contains citric acid which has been known to kick a lot of people out of ketosis. I never had a problem with it, but I have known many others who did.

Now I surely don't have a problem with it because I cannot stand the taste of any diet soft drink. Ugh, that Nutrasweet/Aspartame taste makes me sick. It's all Splenda for my sugar substitute needs.

-Justin

cwny69
04-18-2002, 07:47 PM
will one a day hurt

K-Daddy
04-18-2002, 09:55 PM
Depends on your tolerance (ketotic tolerance?) to citric acid. It's the same thing with sugar alcohols and maltitol.

Off on a tangent (though somewhat related): Maltitol is what's in the "low carb" bars (along with glycerin as an anti-melting ingrediant for the chocolate) and most of the companies won't count maltitol as a carbohydrate, mainly because it looks worse having 15-25g of carbs in a low carb bar. Even the FDA...though we should take what the FDA says about nutrition with a grain of salt...counts maltitol as a carb. The companies won't count it, though. Even still, those bars will kick almost anyone out of ketosis and I have known very few people who haven't been stalled by "low carb" bars. The glycerin in the chocolate is pretty much what gets used in place of glycose on a low carb diet. It's not as efficient at all and is really pretty bad for you. It has also been known to kick folks out of ketosis.

Sugar alcohols, like in lots of sugarfree gum, are about half and half. They either effect you or they don't...it's pretty even as far as I know. Dr. Atkins, for instance, says that sugar alcohols are ok. Other lowcarb diets don't.

What all these have in common is personal tolerance. If you drink 10 diet cokes a day and you aren't losing weight, stop drinking them. Maybe cut back to 5 and see how you fare. Hell, go to 1 and see what happens. You may have a good "ketotic tolerance" for it and you may not stay in ketosis that well at all.

-Justin