PDA

View Full Version : Calories intake vs expended.

Snickers76
06-07-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm 6 foot tall and weight 200lbs and would like to lose 10 more lbs of fat. I consume 390 calories in protein (78g) shakes per day. The rest of my protein (>200g) comes from food. I am trying to maintain 1700 calories per day.

There are a number of computer programs that help me track my calorie intake; however, they also let me add my exercise to the program. When I add my exercise, it subtracts my exercised calories from my eaten calories. For example, I eat 1700 calories per day and exercise 1000 calories. My calorie tracking program tells me that I have only eaten 700 calories for the day.

My question:
Lets assume I exercise and burn 1000 calories. Should I be eating 2700 calories so that my daily calories will equal 1700? Or should I eat strictly 1700 calories regardless of how many calories I burn in a day of exercising?

Joshua_P
06-07-2009, 03:46 PM
If you didnt work out, your maintenance would be somewhere around 2000, so your at a 300 calorie deficit. If you burn 1000 calories, your maintenance is around 3000, so your at a 1300 calorie deficit.
( I just made those numbers up...but I hope that helps to explain it.)
1700 calories a day seems pretty low if you want to keep muscle mass, and lose strictly fat.

Snickers76
06-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Gotcha. Thanks. I just recently noticed I was feeling fatigued. I have lost 20 lbs of what seems to be purely fat in 2 months and have gained quite a bit of strength and muscle. I just have some fat left in the gut that I'd like to get rid of. Lately I started counting calories and I think it has done me more harm than good because of my ignorance in understanding the energy balance.

Thanks again!

Joshua_P
06-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Gotcha. Thanks. I just recently noticed I was feeling fatigued. I have lost 20 lbs of what seems to be purely fat in 2 months and have gained quite a bit of strength and muscle. I just have some fat left in the gut that I'd like to get rid of. Lately I started counting calories and I think it has done me more harm than good because of my ignorance in understanding the energy balance.

Thanks again!

I would say take a few days off, and make sure you eat carbs on your workout days. I tried the anabolic diet, which basicly excluded carbs in cycles, and the weeks where I had <100g carbs/day were terrible!

Irish
06-08-2009, 03:51 AM
As the first Joshua stated that calorie intake is very low for someoen of your stats. I consume more than that and you have like 50lbs and 4 inches on me :P

They way i look at losing BF and its working great at the moment is;

- Dont worry to much about the really fine details, ie taking in 27.4747474 recuring grams of protein. Get a solid breast of chicken, stake, fish or w/e in every meal

- Consumer a good number of greens at every meal

- get your FATS in! make sure you essentials and also a bit of staturate fat is getting in (pretty much all your cells in your body is made/surrounded by fat, they lose fat they lose their function, they lose function you slow down you get my point?)

- Also the vital point i think i have learned about it. When people calorie restrict like you have you feel the effects, your body starts to shut things down or they dont run optimally. E.g feeling tired, your thyroid gland slows down metabolism slows down.

How about you consume just below maintence eg 2,000 to maintain say 1800-1900 and expend like 2400 calories every day. Thats still a 500kcal difference (ie a pound a fat a week) and you body will love you for it. All your hormones will be working properly as they have got enough calories etc and you wont feel hungry all the time and motivation will stay higher too.

For me i dont calorie count, i just make sure i eat a lot and exercise a HELL of a lot, if your not losing enough exercise more. If you cant then perhaps you maybe eating to much but probably not in your case

VikingWarlord
06-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Jesus Christ, what is happening in here?

Fat loss is about diet first and foremost. Unless you're in a perfectly controlled environment with a laboratory full of equipment, it is impossible to calculate caloric expenditure and anyone that says differently doesn't have the slightest clue. There are entirely too many individual variables. I will guarantee you're not burning 1000 kCal a day through physical activity.

Lift heavy, eat smart, keep an average daily deficit of about 500kCal per day and you'll drop a pound of fat weekly. That's all you need to know.

samadhi_smiles
06-08-2009, 08:57 AM
if you want to gain, eat beyond your hunger level

if you want to lose, stop before your hunger is satiated

always consume 2g of protein per pound of BW

always overfeed around your workouts no matter what your goals are

keep it simple.

Skelator03
06-08-2009, 10:31 AM
What's someone on average burning in a workout without cardio i always thought it was around 500 to 800?

VikingWarlord
06-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Doesn't matter. Pretend you don't burn anything while exercising. It's so difficult to even be able to ballpark it that it's not worth trying.

samadhi_smiles
06-08-2009, 12:34 PM
If you want to maintain and you're eating at maintenance, then just increase the calories a bit (like a couple spoons of peanut butter more maybe) when you introduce cardio to your routine. If you want to lose and you're at caloric maintenance right now, then keep the calories the same when you introduce some cardio.

Aerobic exercise is extremely important for good health, whether you want to gain mass or lose mass.

Irish
06-08-2009, 12:59 PM
always consume 2g of protein per pound of BW

Studies have shown this has no more effect than consuming 1.5-1.7g or even less. Not saying you need to get anal but this has no scientific backing not to my knowledge or at least no forms of steriods used. (mike stone - principles and practice of resistance training 2004)

But keeping it simple, yes is important. Also 1 or 2 80% interval training has shown great benefits for athletic and general health abilities.

Snickers76
06-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Jesus Christ, what is happening in here?
[...] I will guarantee you're not burning 1000 kCal a day through physical activity.[...]

I do about 1.5 - 2 hours of weight lifting on mon/tues thur/fri and follow each workout with a 15 miles bilke ride keeping my RPM's at 80-90 roughly 15-18 mph

Wed/sat/sun I spend three 45 minute sessions on an elliptical trainer.

The elliptical trainer shows I've burned about 500 calories each time I finish.
A 30 minute bike ride should expend 500 calories according to various websites.

To make sure that I understand this correctly. --ballpark figures--I should possibly try eating 2700 calories per day, continue my normal exercise routine and see if I lose a bit. I was eating 1700 and continuing my normal routine...5 days ago I also switched up my routine to include different exercises to avoid plateauing.