PDA

View Full Version : Carbs after workout.

godofthunder
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Hi all.

As most of you kmow drinking/eating carbs after workout is essential, i how ever drink sugary drinks during workouts, will that work as a carb meal right after workout?

Unreal
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Essential? Says who? I've made great gains without PWO carbs.

godofthunder
06-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Well letīs re phrase the question since necassary, lets skip the word "essential" and replace it with "Good".

ThomasG
06-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Essential? Says who? I've made great gains without PWO carbs.

What gym you lift at in UT?

Unreal
06-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Good would also depend on goals and diet plan. As for your question, the during workout carbs will work just fine in most cases. As long as they fit into your diet/meal plan do what makes you happy. If drinking 100g or carbs during the workout is easier then 100g after, go for it.

Golds
I've also gone to Crossfit801, NRG, or lift at home/park.

ThomasG
06-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Good would also depend on goals and diet plan. As for your question, the during workout carbs will work just fine in most cases. As long as they fit into your diet/meal plan do what makes you happy. If drinking 100g or carbs during the workout is easier then 100g after, go for it.

Golds
I've also gone to Crossfit801, NRG, or lift at home/park.

Where you live at in the SL area? I'm a trainer at a really nice gym In Draper Ut, (Ripped Fitness) right off the freeway. Its more of the powerlifting, bodybuilder, and serious athletes gym.

You should come by sometime and check it out. I could show you around if you want and you can workout out for free your first time.

VikingWarlord
06-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Dude, really? Hijacking a thread to try to make a sale?

OP: It doesn't really matter that much. During the workout or after the workout isn't going to give you that much of a difference.

Irish
06-08-2009, 12:51 PM
It can make a massive difference. Your body wants the carbs to increase protein synthesis (this is your body's way to create new proteins to build muscle or perserve muscle). Your glycogen stores are low they need replenishment.

According to research consuming nothing will increase protein synthesis anyway, consuming protein or just carbs will jack your ability up more BUT consuming protein + carb (dextrose/maltodextron) + Leucine can boost your ability up to 250% more than any of these. Thats a big difference. (Koopman et al 2004)

Different studies vary on grams per kilo but roughly as long as CHO is higher than protein then happy days. But i normally consume around .5-1g of CHO per kg of LBM and around 0.4g of protein and 4-5g of Leuince in 400ml of water. I am about 74kg so works out about 23-30g of protein, 70g of carbs, and like i said 4-5g of protein. I am cutting at the moment and still seeing results even with this much carbs post workout.

The study of which i found the original statements (250% increase in protein synthesis) had even less protein and CHOs than this and produced those results. I am not saying more is always better but i have found a collection of papers and this is roughly the middle ground.

Other studies also have suggested that consuming a carb and protein during workout is also beneficial. Also some have looked at the comsuption of creatine PWO can also aid also.

Also it has shown to keep this standard up for 6hrs longer than the other forms of PWO shakes. Thats a nice anabolic formula there if you ask me.

René Koopman, Anton J. M. Wagenmakers, Ralph J. F. Manders, Antoine H. G.Zorenc, Joan M. G. Senden, Marchel Gorselink, Hans A. Keizer and Luc J. C. vanLoon. Combined ingestion of protein and free leucine with carbohydrate increases postexercise muscle protein synthesis in vivo in male subjects

ThomasG
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Dude, really? Hijacking a thread to try to make a sale?

OP: It doesn't really matter that much. During the workout or after the workout isn't going to give you that much of a difference.

I dont get paid for ppl to sign up gym memberships. Figured ppl on these boards would like the environment of the gym I work at but ya I should have kept it to pms earlier.

samadhi_smiles
06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
yeah I take about 100g of carbohydrates (50g in a shake and then 50g in a meal about 30-60 minutes later whenever my stomach feels empty from the shake).

It helps a lot, insulin is the ****ing ****.

godofthunder
06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Isnīt it good to raise insouline during workout as well, i thougt that i if i did that it would eliminate the need for sugar/carbs after wards, is this a misunderstanding?

godofthunder
06-08-2009, 02:27 PM
P.S What is leucine and how can i get it?

Unreal
06-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Leucine is an amino acid. Online.

Like I said, it depends on your goals and diet. If I'm doing UD2.0 and trying to deplete I'm not going to pound down 100g of sugar after a workout.

godofthunder
06-08-2009, 02:43 PM
My protein has high amount of leucine compared to other amino acids, will that suffice?

Holto
06-08-2009, 03:10 PM
My protein has high amount of leucine compared to other amino acids, will that suffice?

Most would say yes, however the idea of taking individual amino's is to get specific effects. I'm not sure how much I buy it but it's conceivable.

samadhi_smiles
06-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Isnīt it good to raise insouline during workout as well, i thougt that i if i did that it would eliminate the need for sugar/carbs after wards, is this a misunderstanding?

during and after and anytime you want to store energy (glycogen and fat)

Jeff Garvin
06-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Buy the book Nutrient Timing by John Ivy, it will answer all your questions!!

teeroy
06-08-2009, 04:57 PM

You want to take whey protein with your carbs after your workout - or a protein mix with whey protein in it. The whey protein will have luceine in it as well as other amino acids. If you want to supplement leucine then you only need to supplement an extra gram in your PWO to get the added increase in protein synthesis. But don't just take leucine alone.

Irish
06-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Leucine is an amino acid. Online.

Like I said, it depends on your goals and diet. If I'm doing UD2.0 and trying to deplete I'm not going to pound down 100g of sugar after a workout.

If you read the research it will improve your protein synthesis and there for have a greater anaoblic effect on your body? If you are still within a calorie restricted diet then you shouldn't really have anything to worry about? Plus surely you want your body to be as anabolic as possible when cutting?

If your getting your results tho who am i to talk :)

But to relate back to the OP, then yeah check the amount of grams in your protein (chances are its expressed in mg so would be like 2,300mg of leucine etc), depending on what you read, anywhere from 2g-5g is plenty.

By the sounds of it just add a bit of dextrose or multidextron to your PWO shake and your ready to roll my man.

Holto
06-09-2009, 10:38 AM
If you read the research it will improve your protein synthesis and there for have a greater anaoblic effect on your body? If you are still within a calorie restricted diet then you shouldn't really have anything to worry about? Plus surely you want your body to be as anabolic as possible when cutting?

If your getting your results tho who am i to talk :)

But to relate back to the OP, then yeah check the amount of grams in your protein (chances are its expressed in mg so would be like 2,300mg of leucine etc), depending on what you read, anywhere from 2g-5g is plenty.

By the sounds of it just add a bit of dextrose or multidextron to your PWO shake and your ready to roll my man.

UD2.0 is a very specialized diet.

The research that has been done to date simply suggests that it's good to take carbs, pre/during/post. There is no research that shows one group gained significantly more LBM or strength and for this reason we cannot deem it essential. When you look at these studies they generally refer to an increase in protein synthesis, I'll just throw out of a number of 50%, but in that same study the difference in LBM and strength gained is negligible.

If the carb group gained 10lbs of LBM, and the control group gained 5lbs, then we'd really have something conclusive to base things on. There is no such research to date.

VikingWarlord
06-09-2009, 10:58 AM
It can make a massive difference. Your body wants the carbs to increase protein synthesis (this is your body's way to create new proteins to build muscle or perserve muscle). Your glycogen stores are low they need replenishment.

According to research consuming nothing will increase protein synthesis anyway, consuming protein or just carbs will jack your ability up more BUT consuming protein + carb (dextrose/maltodextron) + Leucine can boost your ability up to 250% more than any of these. Thats a big difference. (Koopman et al 2004)

Different studies vary on grams per kilo but roughly as long as CHO is higher than protein then happy days. But i normally consume around .5-1g of CHO per kg of LBM and around 0.4g of protein and 4-5g of Leuince in 400ml of water. I am about 74kg so works out about 23-30g of protein, 70g of carbs, and like i said 4-5g of protein. I am cutting at the moment and still seeing results even with this much carbs post workout.

The study of which i found the original statements (250% increase in protein synthesis) had even less protein and CHOs than this and produced those results. I am not saying more is always better but i have found a collection of papers and this is roughly the middle ground.

Other studies also have suggested that consuming a carb and protein during workout is also beneficial. Also some have looked at the comsuption of creatine PWO can also aid also.

Also it has shown to keep this standard up for 6hrs longer than the other forms of PWO shakes. Thats a nice anabolic formula there if you ask me.

René Koopman, Anton J. M. Wagenmakers, Ralph J. F. Manders, Antoine H. G.Zorenc, Joan M. G. Senden, Marchel Gorselink, Hans A. Keizer and Luc J. C. vanLoon. Combined ingestion of protein and free leucine with carbohydrate increases postexercise muscle protein synthesis in vivo in male subjects

Ok, a 250% increase would bring the hardtotals from what to what? 1lb to 2.5lb? 100g to 250g? .01% of body mass to .025% body mass?

The research LOOKS good but, as Holto said, hasn't really proven anything. While it might be beneficial, the degree of the benefit is questionable.

samadhi_smiles
06-09-2009, 11:20 AM
what does the dosage of 1-2 grams of aminos do anyways. Thats nothing.