PDA

View Full Version : Ed Coan Squat routine

Fighter_15
06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't really understand it. To me it just doesn't make sense. It says "There are no percentages to worry about, you pick the weight you think you can hit the EASY SINGLE (not a MAX Single, but too easy as well) with and start backwards going down from Week 10 by 20lbs to get the weight you can use for each week."

So in other words if I can squat around 340. I should start my week one at 160 and do 2 sets of 8? Then after I get to week 10 it will just bring me back to 340 for 1x1. How will this improve my squat at all?

The Coan squat routine can be looked at here.

http://www.powerpage.net/coansquat.html

barbell01
06-08-2009, 06:13 PM
it says it is a routine that ed set up for this other guy, that dosen't know how to put things into simple text i guess. it looks like a percentage based program/pyramid, but why no percentages? i would forget i ever saw that.

Brad08
06-08-2009, 06:35 PM
So in other words if I can squat around 340. I should start my week one at 160 and do 2 sets of 8?

No.

You should not follow a routine that worked for the best powerlifter who ever lived.

Jesse Hernandez
06-08-2009, 06:38 PM
No.

You should not follow a routine that worked for the best powerlifter who ever lived.

lmao.:moon:

Travis Bell
06-08-2009, 06:48 PM
No.

Well, this isn't the same routine that Coan used, like someone else posted, it is a routine that he set up for someone else for off season training.

Honestly, I think there are more productive routines out there, but this would probably work

I know you were being sarcastic/humorous, but there is some truth to what you posted. Nobody should do the exact same thing that Ed Coan did because nobody is Ed Coan. The guy is a freak of nature and was just genetically predisposed to being able to work extremely hard through all his workouts. Not everyone is made like that, in fact very few are.

However, that should not stop someone from taking some of the principles that Ed incorporated into his programming.

Kenny Powers
06-08-2009, 10:21 PM
That is not the same coan routine i have seen and am using. i am using a coan based periodized routine.

i used this

ww.joeskopec.c m/coancalc.html

(replace the space with o)

template to set up my squat program and used the separate bench template on the same website

This is the second time ive run it, the first time i had outstanding success putting 70 lbs on my squat

Fighter_15
06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
That is not the same coan routine i have seen and am using. i am using a coan based periodized routine.

i used this

ww.joeskopec.c m/coancalc.html

(replace the space with o)

template to set up my squat program and used the separate bench template on the same website

This is the second time ive run it, the first time i had outstanding success putting 70 lbs on my squat

Thanks. That routine seems like it makes more sense. Where it says "Enter your current SRM in pounds" does that mean Single Rep Max? I'm assuming that's what it means but I figured I'd ask just to make sure.

Kenny Powers
06-09-2009, 05:35 PM
yep, sure does

another thing i do is skip week one, in my experience it works better that way.

best of luck man, and wow strong logging in at the exact same time lol

Fighter_15
06-13-2009, 06:21 PM
yep, sure does

another thing i do is skip week one, in my experience it works better that way.

best of luck man, and wow strong logging in at the exact same time lol

I'm going to try that routine then. Hell yea about logging in at the same time. To bad I logged off right away and didn't come on for a few days lol.

Mike Brookman
06-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Guys, to be honest that routine was setup for a few individuals, its not necessarily exactly what Eddy did himself all the time BUT it is what he had many guys do at that time and it was also based on his belief principles and very similar to what Eddy did..keep in mind that routine was posted there about seven years ago and things have of course changed and new stuff has proven to work as well. The %s are based on what you would term an "easy" 1 rep max, meaning NOT working to a new max at the end of the cycle, but rather working up and easily blowing away your previous PR BEFORE the cycle and maybe 5-10lbs more...thus leaving the real PR attempt for the meet and not for the last week of training which was a common belief of Eddy's for many years and also to many other periodization routines. I used this routine many time, it was made for ME and three other guys, and many others have taken the routine and used with great success..HOWEVER it doesnt mean its going to work for everyone, as not every individual has the same weaknesses, etc. I have since been using a Westside style of routine with a little hybrid mixed in at times in the offseason of other stuff...I still think this routine will work for me or anyone else, but you have to also remember to make modifications as you go to fit YOUR needs and work on YOUR weaknesses!

And the first part of the article is the OFFSEASON routine that is done with NO gear. The 2nd part of the routine towards the bottom is for a meet cycle where gear is being used. Eddy didnt believe in being in gear all the time as he believed in building raw strength up when you werent near a meet.