PDA

View Full Version : When should i be having protein?

hazyd123
06-08-2009, 10:34 PM
I usually have a protein shake 20 mins after my workout. I here many different stories though like have it right before you workout and right after, or have it 3 hours before your workout and right after. What times should i have it i normally workout at 7pm what time before and after should i have a protein shake? Thanks for any help

Gymjunkie
06-09-2009, 05:38 AM
It's best to give some time for your body to digest it so drink it an hour before workout and then drink one after a workout, but it doesn't really matter 5 or 20 minutes after. Just get one withing 30 after working out and then get a meal half an hour after a shake..

More info on protein shakes here:

http://www.36pounds.com/2009/05/01/supplements-protein-powders/

Hope this helps

Irish
06-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Well this is starting to creep up in some research. Generally the thought is to consume when you finished your workout. The probably is people chat and chinese whispers start and people add their own twist on things.

From research are conducting their studies generally the subjects consume their shake once they finish their workout. There are quite a few studies showing that having a shake PRE workout has a better effect than having POST workout, but there is equally if not some more staying post is better. Logically speaking you would naturally think POST workout is more effective. I would personally say, dietry requirements pending, having a carbohydrate + protein belnd during your workout and same again (combined with Leucine) is the most effective. and then a solid meal 1hr to 1.5hrs later from this.

So for you for example, i would say (people like is said have loads of twists on pre/peri/post workout stuff so will have loads of opinions after me)

6pm-6.15pm solid meal Carbs+protein
7pm workout (some form of drink here carbs alone or with protein)
8pm - PWO shake (liquid drink containing pro+carbs+leucine)
9pm - PWO solid meal carbs + protein

something along those GUIDELINES should be ok

Irish
06-09-2009, 05:55 AM
http://www.nsca-lift.org/Perform/articles/SR090604.pdf

That is an article from the NSCA (national strength and conditioning association), governing body in the states for S&C. It has a general application down at the bottom about guidelines.

Only thing you have to remember is you are not an athlete and can not afford to eat like one. Well if you have the money buy all the supps in the world. but it is a general guidline and one backed by research.

Just a pointer when you hear something check it out first and see if it has any credit. Just because your mate or Lebron James/Arnie/Cutler/Coleman says it works for them doesn't mean its right check science first :)

vdizenzo
06-09-2009, 07:18 AM
http://www.nsca-lift.org/Perform/articles/SR090604.pdf

That is an article from the NSCA (national strength and conditioning association), governing body in the states for S&C. It has a general application down at the bottom about guidelines.

Only thing you have to remember is you are not an athlete and can not afford to eat like one. Well if you have the money buy all the supps in the world. but it is a general guidline and one backed by research.

Just a pointer when you hear something check it out first and see if it has any credit. Just because your mate or Lebron James/Arnie/Cutler/Coleman says it works for them doesn't mean its right check science first :)

Good article. That's nutrient timing in a nutshell.

samadhi_smiles
06-09-2009, 07:22 AM
morning noon and ****ing night

Skelator03
06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
whats the sports drink its talking about with protein sounds like a gatorade with protein ;-)