PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a clear answer (Pre/Post Workout Diets for Cutting)

Abe Froman
06-09-2009, 10:45 AM
My goal here is fat burning and I hear all kinds of conflicting stories about what to eat before a workout, what to eat after a workout so on and so on. Sometimes I think i have my meal plans ironed out only to read an article that has completely differing opinions.

Want to see if I can get a solid answer here....

For a cutting diet, what are the fundamental ingredients in a widely accepted and intelligent pre-workout diet?

And what are the fundamental ingredients in a widely accepted and intelligent post-workout diet?

Looking for some advice from members who are knowledgeable in the area or have had diet plans that worked for themselves, thanks.

Unreal
06-09-2009, 10:51 AM
There are many ways to do it. When it comes down to it all that matters is cals in vs cals out. Keep protein high, and lift heavy to preserve LBM.

Abe Froman
06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
There are many ways to do it. When it comes down to it all that matters is cals in vs cals out. Keep protein high, and lift heavy to preserve LBM.
Gotcha...i mean thats what i really aim for. Yet with trying to maximize my potential i try to follow a good routine with what to eat right after my workouts...i hear post-workout is when u should eat most of your carbs, some people just take some dextrose after workout, so on and so on.

im more concerned with the post workout diet...being as i was following a certain meal pattern with absolutely no results in the fat burning department.

samadhi_smiles
06-09-2009, 10:57 AM
+0:00: 50g dextrose/50g whey/5g creatine
+1:00: 50g complex carbs/50g protein (meat)/veggies
+3-4:00: 50g complex carbs/50g protein (meats)/20ish g fats (olive, flax, etc)/veggies

Thats how I roll. You'd tweak the macros depending on your own maintenance. I mainly just eat til I'm not hungry (and make sure I get 300g of protein a day).

VikingWarlord
06-09-2009, 11:00 AM

This.

Abe Froman
06-09-2009, 11:06 AM
+0:00: 50g dextrose/50g whey/5g creatine
+1:00: 50g complex carbs/50g protein (meat)/veggies
+3-4:00: 50g complex carbs/50g protein (meats)/20ish g fats (olive, flax, etc)/veggies

Thats how I roll. You'd tweak the macros depending on your own maintenance. I mainly just eat til I'm not hungry (and make sure I get 300g of protein a day).
Sorry can u break down what u mean by the "+1:00" thanks...

also, as in 50g of dextrose are you taking from natural source or a supplement powder?

Unreal
06-09-2009, 11:09 AM
If you weren't losing weight then you were eating too much. Reduce calories.

Post workout I normally have dinner. Chicken/brocolli. Last night was salmon with some green beans.

Abe Froman
06-09-2009, 11:12 AM
If you weren't losing weight then you were eating too much. Reduce calories.

Post workout I normally have dinner. Chicken/brocolli. Last night was salmon with some green beans.
You know from the looks of it I certainly wasn't eating too much but maybe if I analyzed each meal I may have been taking in more calories than i thought...

What is your carb breakdown? Do u eat them at specific times during the day?

Unreal
06-09-2009, 11:15 AM
~100g a day. Normally 30-40g of that an hour or two before workout. The rest is just trace carbs from veggies and stuff. First meal is normally at noon, then a snack around 3 then workout at 4, then dinner, then bedtime snack.

samadhi_smiles
06-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Sorry can u break down what u mean by the "+1:00" thanks...

also, as in 50g of dextrose are you taking from natural source or a supplement powder?
dextrose is a sugar derived from corn. Its a supplement powder.

+1:00 means after about an hour from drinking the shake (this is about the time it takes to empty from my stomach and hunger to hit).

samadhi_smiles
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
~100g a day. Normally 30-40g of that an hour or two before workout. The rest is just trace carbs from veggies and stuff. First meal is normally at noon, then a snack around 3 then workout at 4, then dinner, then bedtime snack.

LOL 100g of carbs a day. I would die. I eat 300g of carbs and I lose weight. I need 400-500 to gain muscle.

Abe Froman
06-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Good stuff. I'm 6'3", 235 so I assume i may be ok to take a little more than a 100g. I need to start getting acquainted with the calorie counts of different foods.

I think i fell off track because here in New York it is now a law that all franchise restaurants must display how many calories are in each meal or piece of food. Go to a Wendys here for instance and look at the menu and next to a grilled chicken sandwich it says how many calories are in it...I was using that as a good gauge for my diet since i eat out alot, come to find out a story hit the news that these restaurants were purposely underestimating the calorie count on their menus by like 2, 300 calories LOL.

p.s. - Youd be amazed how many calories a god d@mn muffin can have.