PDA

View Full Version : can I deadlift big without benching?

samadhi_smiles
06-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Do I need to train bench at all if my goals are primarily big deadlift and squat. I also am interested in push pressing my bodyweight (thats coming soon hopefully). But I always hear that you have to deadlift and row and such for benching...does it work the other way around that you need pressing strength to continue to raise your deadlift???

My deadlift goal is 3x the lean bodyweight (180) I'm building to if that makes a difference (so like 540 or so).

joey54
06-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Too bad Jason Pegg hasn't been around in awhile.

CrazyK
06-09-2009, 07:24 PM
You always want balance in your program. Even bench only competitors squat, and deadlift only competitors bench (or do some sort of press). Neglecting a range of motion/movement will lead to injuries, balance issues and poor coordination.

ChickenLegs83
06-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Do I need to train bench at all if my goals are primarily big deadlift and squat. I also am interested in push pressing my bodyweight (thats coming soon hopefully). But I always hear that you have to deadlift and row and such for benching...does it work the other way around that you need pressing strength to continue to raise your deadlift???

My deadlift goal is 3x the lean bodyweight (180) I'm building to if that makes a difference (so like 540 or so).

No.

Many Strongman competitors don't bench press and focus on overhead pressing.

Although, I would include incline bench press, close-grip bench press and close-grip decline bench press for reps as assistance work in your program.

You don't have to deadlift for a big bench press, but you do rows because your back is a stabilizer for bench press.

Are you a Strongman?

samadhi_smiles
06-10-2009, 07:11 AM
I am a strong man but not a strongman haha and some may debate the former (some on here at least from a relative standpoint!).

I just don't like bench press...I'd much rather floor press and OH/push press...

I just don't want to set myself up to stall out though.

Whose Jason Pegg?