PDA

View Full Version : 5X5 Question

bluelew
06-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Been doing a 5x5 where I am obviously doing a ton of volume squating 3 times a week, benching twice with a day of close grip, rowing twice a week and deads once. It has been a mental and physical test to say the least. I have hit all of the prescribed weights and reps until today. The bench workout called for progressively heavier weight for 5 sets of 5. If I had done the workout backwards, I would have nailed every rep and set. My question is: is there a legit reason for the progressively heavier weights or could I do the workout in reverse as long as the volumes the same?

Cmanuel
06-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Are you doing the madcow intermediate 5x5?

I am not sure what you mean by "backwards". Can you clarify? Do you mean you would have been able to hit all weights by doing the exercises in a different order, or by starting with heavier weights and progressing to lighter weights?

I have a lot of experience w/ this particular program but need clarification from you before being able to help.

bluelew
06-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Yes, it's the 5x5 intermediate. I was talking about starting with the heavier weights (after warmup of course) and progressing to the lighter ones. Is this a bad idea? Thanks much.

Notorious
06-10-2009, 02:15 PM
The lighter weights serve as a warm-up for the heavier ones (and if you started with the heavier weights you would still have to warm up). If you're tired for your last set, you're doing something wrong. How long are you resting in between sets?

-JM-
06-10-2009, 04:30 PM
As far as I know, you can go ahead and do that. I did read somewhere that 5x5s can be done in a variety of ways that best suits the lifter?

I will find the link and post it up.

Edit :Here ya go (http://www.criticalbench.com/5x5_system_build_muscle.htm)

bluelew
06-10-2009, 06:32 PM
The lighter weights serve as a warm-up for the heavier ones (and if you started with the heavier weights you would still have to warm up). If you're tired for your last set, you're doing something wrong. How long are you resting in between sets?

They serve as a warm up and then some. The last 3 sets are more like work sets than warm ups. By the 5th set, I was ok but not strong enough to hit 5- only got 3. I take up to 5 minutes between sets. This is the first time in 4 weeks that I have not hit all 5. I know I could have hit the weight if I had started out heavy and progressed but didn't want to mess with the program.

bluelew
06-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Any other opinions?

Cmanuel
06-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't see how it would be a bad thing, except that how could you have a proper warm up? Essentially that's what the first few sets are, a warm up. It sounds like you stalled and need to reset 4 weeks. Its ok, I reset my 5x5 a few times and still made ridiculous gains.

bluelew
06-11-2009, 11:46 PM
I don't see how it would be a bad thing, except that how could you have a proper warm up? Essentially that's what the first few sets are, a warm up. It sounds like you stalled and need to reset 4 weeks. Its ok, I reset my 5x5 a few times and still made ridiculous gains.

I usually only do 1 or 2 reps at various weights leading up to the weight I am working with. The 2 sets leading up to the weight I stalled at were only 20 or 40 lbs away from it. 5 reps at a weight that close to the heavy weight killed me. Anyway I will try it backwards next time. Thanks for the input. How many times have you done the 5x5 and what kind of gains? I am just getting back and thought the volume would shock the body and give me lots of reps to practice form. I haven't been this soar since high school. I finish the 5x5 part next week and then I will take 2 weeks off (family vacation) and return for the 3x3 part. Should be plenty rested and strong after a layoff.

Cmanuel
06-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Are you doing the intermediate or advanced program? Because the intermediate does not include 3x3 work if I recall correctly.

I ran the intermediate version twice last year for about 6 weeks each time before stalling. The trick is to not overshoot weights. I went from 178 to 193 in about 5 months or so. All of my lifts went up big time.

I tried running the periodized advanced version last month but I overshot weights and ended up really fatigued during my loading phase. I would fall asleep all the time and couldn't move any weights. It was terrible.

Ill try that one again one day but I'm starting 531 method next week and hope to run that for a while.