PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to get endurance?

Grishy
06-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Ok guys this question probably sounds stupid but im really short on time in the week so I was wondering was the fastest way to gain endurance since i've realised that ive lost most of it due to just lifting and doing absolutely no cardio (i REALLY need to gain weight).

So I was wondering whats teh fastest way to not get tired while going up a flight of stairs :)

Marc123
06-10-2009, 04:28 PM
for a flight of stairs ? well i would say take some creatine and do sprints which would probally be the quickest way.

peatr99
06-10-2009, 05:56 PM
hill workouts were very effective for me. or find a soft sandy hill and try to run up it a few times

Chubrock
06-10-2009, 06:10 PM
http://www.crossfitendurance.com

slashkills
06-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Ok guys this question probably sounds stupid but im really short on time in the week so I was wondering was the fastest way to gain endurance since i've realised that ive lost most of it due to just lifting and doing absolutely no cardio (i REALLY need to gain weight).

So I was wondering whats teh fastest way to not get tired while going up a flight of stairs :)

Is this for a sport? I would say take a good creatine product. Atlarge nutrition has a good product called Results which is a fitting name for it. If this is for a power sport like football do sprints on days off from weightlifting or on upper body days.

KingWilder
06-11-2009, 06:29 AM
http://www.crossfitendurance.com

for the fastest way, :withstupi:

Tom Mutaffis
06-11-2009, 08:48 AM
There are a few options...

- Reduced Body Mass -> Your body will not have to work as hard and you will have improved endurance. If you are trying to gain weight this is probably not the option that you are looking for though.

- Interval Training -> This is great cardio for fat loss and can also help to boost your overall conditioning. Interval training is basically high intensity exercise for 1 minute and low intensity exercise for 1 minute in rotations (1 high, 1 low, 1 high, 1 low, etc.). This helps to keep your heart rate stable but also allows you to push your body quite hard.

- Improve General Health -> If you have high blood pressure or other issues this can sometimes put strain on your cardiovascular system. When someone is trying to gain weight many times their overall health can suffer and so you may want to have a general physical to make sure that is not a factor in your 'reduced cardio'

- Increase Gym Intensity -> Doing things like a set of max repetitions in 60 seconds, supersets, drop sets, etc. will improve overall conditioning due to increased time under tension.

- GPP Work -> Dedicating one day to sled drags, high rep power cleans, a crossfit workout, plyometrics, etc. would boost conditioning.

Getting tired while walking up a flight of stairs is a big indicator that you need to do more general fitness work.

calhoun295
06-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Endurance Training: Resistance Training
65-67% 1RM
12-15 reps
2-3 sets
< 30 seconds rest

Cardio:
dynamic activity(Isotonic, increasing workload)
for 20-60 minutes
3-5 times/week
at an intensity of 50% to 85% VO2 max

Endurance gains show in 5 weeks, you need to build up the mitochondrial amount, capillary density, which all affects how much Oxygen you can get to the muscles. An absense of oxygen = lactate which in turn is a cessation of work.

Grishy
06-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Ok but how to prevent mass loss while still gainjing endurance? Im gaining little weight and eating a lot, i dont wanna lose any mass but i still need to have AT LEAST some endurance. Help?

fitnhealthydad
06-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Getting tired while walking up a flight of stairs is a big indicator that you need to do more general fitness work.

This.

Ok but how to prevent mass loss while still gainjing endurance? Im gaining little weight and eating a lot, i dont wanna lose any mass but i still need to have AT LEAST some endurance. Help?

You're putting the cart before the horse. In order to gain endurance, you have to get your body used to more intense movement for longer periods of time. In other words, exercise. Heart rate needs to elevate to pump blood through the lungs to pick up oxygen for disbursement to the rest of the body and so on. The more you do this, the better your lung capacity will be, the stronger your heart will become and the better your stamina will be.

Of course, the side effect of all this is that your body is going to scream for energy in order to fuel these actions. If you are deficient in your diet, that energy is going to come from burning fat which will drop your overall mass - the very thing you don't want. HOWEVER, if you can keep your diet up every day, day in and day out, and provide a caloric surplus with the right protein and nutrient-rich foods, your body can start to put on weight. How and where it puts on that weight will be solely dependent upon you and your workout routines.

I'm new to this particular forum, but most of the legacy members here (whose advice should be respected as it's based on experience) will tell you that stamina, weight-gain, strength, muscle size, etc are things that are not compartmentalized within the body; they're a complex set of dynamics and variables that you need to maintain in order to reach your goals.

Tom's list above is an excellent compilation of varied techniques for building your endurance; one or more of them should work for you. Good luck and I hope you can achieve what you're looking for!

Grishy
06-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks so much for the great answers!

So I must pretty much:

a) Start some kind of aerobic exercise (I think im going for HIIT although im scared at the mass loss part)
b) Keep the weight lifting
c) Have an even bigger caloric surplus.

Am I right ?