PDA

View Full Version : Designing an 'off day' GPP program...help please

samadhi_smiles
06-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Hey, I want to get better conditioning...I've decided to do some GPP work in the off days...I don't have a job or anything this summer so I have a lot of time to burn/rest...I think I can handle more work than my 3-4 days of lifting. I am really bored of doing regular cardio work on the bike.

I've got this so far:

SLEDGEHAMMER STRIKES 50-100 overhead strikes (we have this cluster of stumps that are partially rotting that my dad wants me to break up anyways, might as well work that into my program and get em all done within a couple weeks work)

ROPE PULLS 5-10 reps - tie a long rope to a plate or three and go up hill with it. Pull rope hand over hand until its at top. Walk plates back down to bottom and reset (that's one rep).

SLED DRAG 5-10 reps - Drag plates up hill and back down.

FARMER WALKS 5-10 reps (~80 yards per rep)

Start off with the lower reps/set range and add reps/sets every workout until its a 30 minute workout.

TUEFELHUNDEN
06-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Sounds tough.

schmitty199
06-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Idk those are all good excercises to get some conditioning, but they sound a little to intense for an "off day." Those are all going to be pretty taxing, if your doing that say twice a week plus 3-4 days of im assuming a fairly intense lifting program im not sure you'll be getting enough rest. Id suggest doing lighter stuff on your off days like jogging a couple miles or even doing some interval work.. Just my two cents though.

samadhi_smiles
06-10-2009, 10:04 AM
holy **** guys. I just did sled drags and rope pulls with 65 pounds only (5 reps of each). I ran up the hill in between resetting the rope pulls. It took me about 15 minutes but I was dripping sweat and every single muscle on my body was pumped and aching (in a good way). I took like 5 grams of beta alanine before so my muscles were all tingling and twitching from that stuff (alive!).

I feel AWESOME right now...way better than I ever feel after 30 mins SS cardio.

My lifting schedule is EOD alternating these two workouts:

A:
floor press 2x8
Rack Pull 2x8
DB Row 2x8
BB Curl 2x8

B:
Push Press 2x8
Box Squat 2x4-6
Weighted Chins 2x8
Weighted Planks 2x10 breaths

Now that I've done that GPP intro I'm thinking of revising the GPP to:

Tire Strikes 50-100 reps

Rope Pulls 5-8 reps (work up to 100 pounds)

Sled Drags 5-8 reps (work up to 100 pounds)

That would be a total body workout...the tire strikes would hit core and front (and back on the backswing) and the rope pulls would toast back and sled drags would hit legs. No reason to do farmer's walks probably they would just hold back my rack pulls (my forearms are toasted after doing those heavy). I want the workout to last 20-25 minutes once I get my conditioning up and can do it non-stop real fast.

I think if I up my carbohydrate intake I'll be alright with this added load.

peatr99
06-10-2009, 12:48 PM
wow that sounds great and answers my post in the other section. I'm going to start doing stuff like this as well. thanks!

i have issues with feeling restless on "off" days and i hope i can incorporate some of these things

samadhi_smiles
06-10-2009, 01:34 PM
let me know how it works out for you! I'll keep you posted...I can already tell its going to make me feel MUCH better conditioning wise...I just feel like crap when I'm de-conditioned.