PDA

View Full Version : I need help picking out a smoker!

Mercuryblade
06-10-2009, 02:20 PM
More or less, it looks like I have 3 options, electric, charcoal, and gas powered.

Advantages/disadvantages of each?
Personal recommendations?

BTW I'm looking to spend under $200 for the whole thing.

Jeff Garvin
06-10-2009, 03:40 PM
I would get one that smokes!

Ben Moore
06-10-2009, 07:13 PM
There's an electric that Will recommends as a good starter. I'm probably going to grab it or just replace my grill with a bigger one and smoker. They sell it at Lowe's for under $100. Here it is...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=86488-447-810-7080-K&lpage=none

Brad08
06-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Advantages of electric: super easy, simply plug in and go. You don't have to get your charcoal started, etc.

Disadvantages of electric: it's either on, or off. You can't fine tune your temperature. You can't spread out the coals or move them to one side, etc. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it.

I have an electric and I like it but after you smoke a few things, you start to see its limitations. It works just fine though and I've made plenty of good things on it.

WillNoble
06-10-2009, 08:54 PM
is this your first smoker or smoking experience?

Travis Bell
06-10-2009, 09:03 PM
There's an electric that Will recommends as a good starter. I'm probably going to grab it or just replace my grill with a bigger one and smoker. They sell it at Lowe's for under $100. Here it is...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=86488-447-810-7080-K&lpage=none

This is the one I got, under Will's recommendation and it's super easy. I use it all the time (spare ribs were done on it yesterday)

Down the road I may get a charcoal one, but for now I enjoy the simplicity of the electric.

Got mine on sale at Home Depot for $55. Well worth the money.

Clifford Gillmore
06-10-2009, 09:07 PM
We had a 60 gallon webber at work we used for smoking ribs/bacon bones, just scented woodchips in the back above the element - they were fantastic! I'm sure you could cut a 44 gallon drum in half, add some air holes, fill with coals and go to town with it.... One of the those electric ones looks damn cool though, I wonder if I could find one down this neck of the woods for that cheap.

slashkills
06-10-2009, 09:18 PM
green egg?

WillNoble
06-11-2009, 07:37 AM
green egg?

600$ - 1400$

you're better off with one of these...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tour.html for $300-$400

but for simplicity go with what Travis has, its EASY to use

suprfast
06-11-2009, 12:43 PM
I know im sorta new here, but im not new to smoking. I just went through the food P@rn page and saw Will has the first smoker i started on.

The Electric Brinkman truly is nice, but it has some down falls. Heat can be a problem depending where you live. Access to an outlet can be difficult(especially if you live in an upstairs apartment). Make sure you buy the proper extension for the Electric Brinkman. All in all the Brinkman is a true starter smoker that will get you wanting more in months to come.
For under 70.00 at home depot this is hard to beat. Cost is less than 10.00/mth to operate if you use it every weekend.

My next smoker was the Brinkman SnP. Brinkman surely makes a decent product for the price. There is a very very large food capacity but portions of the smoker can not be used without burning food. Modifications are almost 100% necessary to utilize this unit. I bought this at walmart for less than 160.00. After two mods and less than 30 days using it i decided to take it back to walmart because i didnt like the cooking pattern of the offset(im a vertical guy, not an offset guy).

Ill post some pictures when i get home of my UDS. I built two DRUM smokers out of BRAND NEW 100% never used 55 gallon drums. These are my babies. I truly love the way these smoke. I can give dimensions, detailed parts list, etc. if you plan to make one. I think cost to build one was right around 150.00 - 175.00 including the price the basket, and the brand new drum. I plan to modify a lid so i have more room to add a second rack. Standing ribs up is not possible right now, but i have lay them flat and its more than enough to feed my small family of 4(one is a three year old that loves cereal right now).

Any questions on smoking feel free to post up. I can help anywhere and it looks like Will has the skill too.

Kris

WillNoble
06-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Ill post some pictures when i get home of my UDS. I built two DRUM smokers out of BRAND NEW 100% never used 55 gallon drums. These are my babies. I truly love the way these smoke. I can give dimensions, detailed parts list, etc. if you plan to make one. I think cost to build one was right around 150.00 - 175.00 including the price the basket, and the brand new drum. I plan to modify a lid so i have more room to add a second rack. Standing ribs up is not possible right now, but i have lay them flat and its more than enough to feed my small family of 4(one is a three year old that loves cereal right now).

You a regular on BBQ Bretheren too?

suprfast
06-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Im a regular on smokingmeatforums.com

I might have to check out BBQ Bretheren.
Im kinda getting tired of SMF. Not that i dont like it but i want more than bacon wrapped goodness everyday. Apparently i have been freely eating for too long and its time to get my ass back into shape. I was ridiculed over there for making a statement that my arms were bigger than someones grill was(17" biceps).

By the way i should have added the Weber 22.5" grill. There is a product called the smokenator found at smokenator.com/. This would be a nice bang for the buck smoker too. Smoker + smokenator for under 200.00 like the original poster asked for.
kris

WillNoble
06-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Honestly for 200$ Id just buy an electric and a charcoal brinkmann... Both will work well for a backyard warrior, he will come in under the 200$ tag and get the best of both worlds in terms of cooking.

Just my opinion though

suprfast
06-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Electrics can not get the smoke ring though:)

Brinkman Electric FTW.

WillNoble
06-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Electrics can not get the smoke ring though:)

Brinkman Electric FTW.

they sure can, if you use enough wood!

:evillaugh:

That said, you are right, the smoke ring is not as pronounced. However it leads to being able to sleep thru the night, so its a winner in my book...

suprfast
06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
they sure can, if you use enough wood!

:evillaugh:

That said, you are right, the smoke ring is not as pronounced. However it leads to being able to sleep thru the night, so its a winner in my book...

What!!
I have slept through the night many of times with the Drum. I just did three large pork shoulder picnics for my brother in laws graduation. Started them at 7pm, and my REMOTE(probably the best tool to have) thermometer woke me up at 170 so i could foil them. Went back to bed, woke up at 7am just shy of them hitting the 205 plateau i was looking for. All this done with normal kingsford charcoal and apple wood.

I forgot to mention one thing, STAY AWAY FROM propane. Why you might ask...LAZINESS. Will you really go to the store and fill up the ONE tank maybe two everytime you want to smoke something. I barely want to do this on my BBQ that i rarely use(since building the smoker). Im sure its nice, but for me its either Charcoal or Electric.

Mercury, i think Will said it best. For the money get the electric and the charcoal. They are both cheap and your stomach will thank you. Think about how much fat drops off when smoking that you dont have to eat.

kris

Mercuryblade
06-11-2009, 05:39 PM
is this your first smoker or smoking experience?

My dad had one when I growing up but I've never owned one myself. He had an electric one.

WillNoble
06-11-2009, 06:35 PM
What!!
I have slept through the night many of times with the Drum. I just did three large pork shoulder picnics for my brother in laws graduation. Started them at 7pm, and my REMOTE(probably the best tool to have) thermometer woke me up at 170 so i could foil them. Went back to bed, woke up at 7am just shy of them hitting the 205 plateau i was looking for. All this done with normal kingsford charcoal and apple wood.

I forgot to mention one thing, STAY AWAY FROM propane. Why you might ask...LAZINESS. Will you really go to the store and fill up the ONE tank maybe two everytime you want to smoke something. I barely want to do this on my BBQ that i rarely use(since building the smoker). Im sure its nice, but for me its either Charcoal or Electric.

Mercury, i think Will said it best. For the money get the electric and the charcoal. They are both cheap and your stomach will thank you. Think about how much fat drops off when smoking that you dont have to eat.

kris

Yeah a remote is a lifesaver for sure...but ick... Kingsford Regular?

suprfast
06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Home depot had them on sale. Two 21.6lb bags for 8.98
Thats cheap.
I have royal oak lump, but im not too big a fan of it
kris

WillNoble
06-11-2009, 10:55 PM
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-frontier-lump-hardwood-charcoal-frontier-lump-hardwood-charcoal-price-7--pi-3393978.html

Southern Beast
06-11-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm willing to bet football season at the Noble residence is a blast. :D

Mercuryblade
06-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Definitely going to go pick up the one Travis suggested. I feel like I've just been given the key to an apartment where a bunch of hot woman live...

For my first smoke, I was thinking maybe doing some pork that would shred niceley for sandwichs.

VikingWarlord
06-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Definitely going to go pick up the one Travis suggested. I feel like I've just been given the key to an apartment where a bunch of hot woman live...

For my first smoke, I was thinking maybe doing some pork that would shred niceley for sandwichs.

For that, nothing beats a shoulder.

Mercuryblade
06-14-2009, 01:06 AM
For that, nothing beats a shoulder.

Good to know.
I'm still about a month away from getting one (the MCAT only cost a mere $225 to sign up for!!!!11), but I'll be sure to post some hot pr0n up when I get smoking.

sohel001
07-03-2009, 06:59 AM
5 Steps to Picking Out the Best Weber Grill. ... You won't need spare parts very often, but it's good to know that Weber has excellent customer service. ... Commonly known as the Weber Bullet Smoker or WSM, this is a great machine. ...