PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to injure your back with these type of weight plates?

fpr
06-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Not sure what the proper name of these types of weights are. I want to say octagonal or hex plates but they have more than eight sides... hopefully that gives you a picture of what type I'm talking about.

Do you have a higher probability of "tweaking" your back with these types of plates when doing deadlifts?

I try and get them locked in place on the bar but they always have a tendency of moving. Someone I spoke to said a buddy of his injured his back doing deadlifts with these types of weights -- and I can see why since they have a tendency of shifting when you place the bar back into starting position.

I know they have bumpers for these to make the plates round, the gym I'm going to does not have them. Do all you need is two bumpers (one for each side -- it will lift the weights slightly off the ground, correct?) or do I need one for each individual plate?

Pete22
06-10-2009, 06:29 PM
I know what you're talking about and they do suck for deadlifting. Tweaking your back is going to be a form thing really, so if they move around enough that they break down your form, then you're going to have to make sure you "reset" yourself for every rep so you're not out of position.

fpr
06-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have tried deadlifting once or twice with these types of weights and I could tell that it was definitely breaking down my form.

Any idea what the name of the bumpers that go over top the plates are called? I type in rubber bumpers and such and all I get are rubber plates.

Ben Moore
06-10-2009, 06:57 PM
The bumper plates you're talking about typically aren't used to raise the other plates off the ground. If you're going to pull with bumpers, you'll want more bumpers than steel or you take the chance of splitting the bumper plate. You could also pull off the lowest pin in the power rack if it seems to be an issue. Personally, in the past I've just made sure the points of the plates don't line up so that they have less chance to throw me off in the bottom of the lift.

Reko
06-10-2009, 07:01 PM
See if they have any regular plates and stick one of those on first. I know exactly what you are talking about and it sucks, but I think the added chance of injury is fairly low. Higer probably, but you still run a risk of something like tapping uneven with a regular bar anyway. Just keep as good of form as you can and you should be fine.

But I woudl try to get the inside most plate to be "normal" if possible. This should help a little bit with your issue.

fpr
06-10-2009, 07:23 PM
The bumper plates you're talking about typically aren't used to raise the other plates off the ground. If you're going to pull with bumpers, you'll want more bumpers than steel or you take the chance of splitting the bumper plate. You could also pull off the lowest pin in the power rack if it seems to be an issue. Personally, in the past I've just made sure the points of the plates don't line up so that they have less chance to throw me off in the bottom of the lift.

Why wouldn't you want them to line up? Wouldn't it be an even surface if they were?

Ben Moore
06-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Wouldn't you want them to be aligned?

No, because the bar's never going to hit the ground the same every time.

Reko
06-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Why wouldn't you want them to line up? Wouldn't it be an even surface if they were?

He uses enough plates that he can get away with this :hello:

BFGUITAR
06-10-2009, 07:27 PM
My school gym has those too. They also have normal circular plates and luckily they are larger then the ones with straight edges. I put those on first and then use the others and I'm fine.

fpr
06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
No, because the bar's never going to hit the ground the same every time.

Thanks.

Hazerboy
06-10-2009, 07:38 PM
My gym has both those and regular plates. Do you reset in between reps? I find that I'm ok as long as I reset in between reps.

Brian999
06-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I use those too, just reset after every lift and you'll be fine my friend, like Ben said make sure the points of the plates dont line up. I got used to them, if its a problem you can always do rack pulls.

mcdonough9395
06-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah got the same thing at my gym and it can be a bitch. I just try and focus on reseting between reps.

MarcusWild
06-10-2009, 08:08 PM
I trained with plates like that for over a year. It made me strong off the floor since everything is a slight deficit.

slashkills
06-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Im not really understanding why you wouldnt want the points to line up on the plates. It would be an even pulling surface. Wouldnt the plates just slide back to the flat side of the plate on the ground after a rep or two any ways?