PDA

View Full Version : Assistance Bench Day Question.

NickAus
06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Hello,

My question is is it ok to do speed work after doing close grip high boards?
Last night I did the following:

1. Raw 3 board close grip with doubled mini bands-worked up to 315 x 3 with pause at top of each rep 3 seconds.
2. Speed against doubled minis-135x3x6 sets.
3. Hanging kettlebell close bench-180 in bells+45 bar 5x3 sets.
4. Shoulder raises 3 light sets.

Does this look ok or will it interfere with my heavy shirt day?
I was hoping it would be ok as the weights on the close boards raw are alot lees than what I handle on the shirt day.

Thank you for your help!

Ben Moore
06-10-2009, 07:54 PM
We usually start with the speed work and work on lockout after that. I feel fresher and feel like I have the speed necessary to get the result I'm looking for. Travis and the other bench studs will probably have some better insight. The only thing I can say is youir upper back work is sorely lacking unless that's done on a different day.

Edit to finish my though apparently, haha.

NickAus
06-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Yep done on another day.

DrDudley-Robey
06-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Consider adding hammer curls and be careful with the bands as they can cause alot of joint pain if done to often. If you are going super heavy like a contest just take the entire week off before the meet so you will be rested and ready to go. Otherwise have at it!

NickAus
06-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Thank you very much, and yes I do hammer curls with back training.

Rob Luyando
06-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Heavy brd for lock outs with either straight weight or heavy band tension. Cycle the bands for a 3 or 4 week phase. Speed work directly after it for 5 sets of 5 with eaither chains or mini bands. That works for me.

NickAus
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Thank you for your help I will let you know how it goes.