PDA

View Full Version : Girlie exercise???

robchris
06-10-2009, 08:34 PM
How many of you guys do hip abductors? (machine)

I got a buddy at the gym that swears they help his squat a lot.

He's in the mid-500's so I'm gonna' try em'... I just feel like such a candy a** while doing them.:)

chris mason
06-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I use them for assistance work.

BigTallOx
06-10-2009, 08:56 PM
I do something similar with bands as an assistance exercise at home so nobody sees me on that machine in the gym, lol. Just kidding about the last part.

teeroy
06-10-2009, 09:56 PM
I've started doing them recently based on feedback from this board in regards to my knees wanting to come in. I superset the abductor and adductor as they are side by side to each other. From what I can tell it seems to be helping.

Brian Hopper
06-10-2009, 10:08 PM
I have done those before, but havent done them in awhile. I liked them alot

MarcusWild
06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
The problem with the machines is you are usually above parallel. Most people have issues with their knees coming in while in the hole. Double a band just below or just above your knee. Then sit on a below parallel box and to static holds for 10 seconds. That's more accurate to how you use your adductors when squatting.

KarstenDD
06-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm a fan

Jeff Garvin
06-11-2009, 04:35 AM
They def help! Funny story is that all this time I use to just check out girls who would be using those machines then when I tried them I couldn't believe how bad my legs were shaking while I was doing them!

Ron C
06-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Try doubling a light band set it right above the knee, and then do your speed work with the band. I've worked with guys who couldn't fire there glutes at all off the box. Put a doubled light band above the knee sit back, drive the knees out and suddenly the glutes fire off the box. I've found this to be more effective than just doing abductions with the band. However, I do both. I use the abductions primarily as a warm up, and the band around the knee squat to help with proper technique off the box/out of the hole.

Lones Green
06-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Awesome info in this thread. I'm also all for using bands for your abductions, kind of hard with adduction though.

blownby
06-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I do the adductor to help strengthen groin area......

Just usually do high reps at the end of a workout.

BigTallOx
06-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Awesome info in this thread. I'm also all for using bands for your abductions, kind of hard with adduction though.

You can do adductors with bands too. I put the band around the supports of the power rack and then around my legs just above my knees. It actually works pretty good.

rbtrout
06-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Interesting thread and good info. I'll have to buy some light bands and give 'em a try.

Guido
06-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Me, too. Started because it was recommended by my ART doc do to muscle imbalance that could have been causing my previous hip issues. The pain went away and I also noticed my squat improving quite a bit so I've kept doing them. I'm just about maxing out the machine now, though.

brihead301
06-11-2009, 11:27 AM
In my MMA class when the coach says "okay everyone go grab a pair of pink dumbells", I know I'm in trouble. I'm dead f***ing serious about this too.

robchris
06-11-2009, 05:31 PM
You can do adductors with bands too. I put the band around the supports of the power rack and then around my legs just above my knees. It actually works pretty good.

Ox,

I bet you get some funny looks with that move...:D

Great info though!

Hey, if it helps my squat I'm all for it, even if I get the "Fish Eye" from everybody!

optl
06-12-2009, 11:43 AM
How many of you guys do hip abductors? (machine)

I got a buddy at the gym that swears they help his squat a lot.

He's in the mid-500's so I'm gonna' try em'... I just feel like such a candy a** while doing them.:)

Lol that must be funny to watch

Kiaran
06-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I start every squat day off with band hip abductions and TKEs. Definitely helps out.

Eric Downey
06-12-2009, 12:24 PM

same