PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to drink Post-Workout Shake, before the end of workout?

rag15
06-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Cliffs: Does Post-Workout (PWO) Shake strictly has to consumed only after the end of my workout for it to be effective or is it just as effective if it is taken in the middle of my workout?

Today I did (Back + Running + Triceps). It took me 45 minutes to do my back and some HIIT running. Immediately after my run, I went to the locker room and made my PWO shake (water + protein + dextrose + glutamine + creatine). Then I went back and worked on my Triceps for about 25 minutes and went home.

I know some of you here do good cost/benefit analysis - so I just want to ask if consuming PWO shake in the middle of my workout (say 3/4ths into it) will in any way hinder the purpose of PWO shake?

Before you point out the disadvantages (and please do), personally, I see some benefits.

1) On my typical workout day, after my lifting, I come home, make my PWO shake and wait an hour before eating my dinner. Sometimes this pushes my dinner to about 9 or 10 PM. If I am able to somehow squeeze in my PWO shake before the end of my workout, I can eat my dinner sooner and go to bed sooner so I get some extra sleeping time.

2) On longer workout days (say 90 minutes or more), I think drinking PWO shake 60 mintues into this workout may help me refill depleted glycogen and give some edge for the remaining 30 minutes.

I read somewhere that if you workout for more than 45 minutes, its a good idea to drink gatorade (Sodium+Potassium), so that your body won't start breaking down muscle to produce energy. If this is true, why can't I replace gatorade with PWO shake?

Thanks!

xstalkrx
06-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Cliffs: Does Post-Workout (PWO) Shake strictly has to consumed only after the end of my workout for it to be effective or is it just as effective if it is taken in the middle of my workout?

Today I did (Back + Running + Triceps). It took me 45 minutes to do my back and some HIIT running. Immediately after my run, I went to the locker room and made my PWO shake (water + protein + dextrose + glutamine + creatine). Then I went back and worked on my Triceps for about 25 minutes and went home.

I know some of you here do good cost/benefit analysis - so I just want to ask if consuming PWO shake in the middle of my workout (say 3/4ths into it) will in any way hinder the purpose of PWO shake?

Before you point out the disadvantages (and please do), personally, I see some benefits.

1) On my typical workout day, after my lifting, I come home, make my PWO shake and wait an hour before eating my dinner. Sometimes this pushes my dinner to about 9 or 10 PM. If I am able to somehow squeeze in my PWO shake before the end of my workout, I can eat my dinner sooner and go to bed sooner so I get some extra sleeping time.

2) On longer workout days (say 90 minutes or more), I think drinking PWO shake 60 mintues into this workout may help me refill depleted glycogen and give some edge for the remaining 30 minutes.

I read somewhere that if you workout for more than 45 minutes, its a good idea to drink gatorade (Sodium+Potassium), so that your body won't start breaking down muscle to produce energy. If this is true, why can't I replace gatorade with PWO shake?

Thanks!

I seriously doubt your body will start breaking down muscle after 45 mins of working out unless you have virtually no fat on your body. Correct me if I am wrong. Maybe someone can back my statement up with science.

VikingWarlord
06-11-2009, 07:42 AM
It isn't that important. Your anabolic window doesn't really open while you're still training. Too many other things going on.

Even so, it's not like your body is going to start devouring itself. The way some people talk, they make it seem like you're going to lose pounds of muscle every day unless everything is done precisely. Get some dextrose/maltodextrin with whey in there 45-60 minutes after you're done and you'll be fine.

Doobs
06-11-2009, 09:20 AM
A PWO shake is usually too thick for you to want to drink mid-workout. It's better to have something watered down mid-workout, and then regular PWO shake afterwards. But if you can stomach it, go for it, it won't hurt you.

Clifford Gillmore
06-11-2009, 01:08 PM
I normally take some creatine/dextrose/taurine close to end of my workout, nothing intense going on there. Then I'll have a high protien, 60g, shake about 30 minutes later. Gives enough time for the insulin spike from the carbs to kick in :)