PDA

View Full Version : I'm doomed for a life of noodle-arm-ed-ness...

Scuzzbucket
06-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Pre-emptive defense: Yes, I know I'm hairy and pastey-white, but here in Wyo that's a sign of beauty so :moon: you.

Anyhoo, I'm about 30 pounds lighter than when I posted my last photos and I've been training more for strength here lately. My gut is going down, my poundages are going up, but there's just one problem: my toothpick arms will not grow! This is mostly in part due to my elbow injuries, but my genetics plays a large part, too. I've got my Dad's genes and nobody on that side of the family is particularly built; for the most part they're all pretty tall (6'3" or better) and built similarly to bastketball players.

Front relaxed:
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu209/Schaff570/misc/before01.jpg
Like I said, I'm actually kinda skinny, but when compared to the bloated beer gut I was sporting before, I'm not complaining.

Front Bicep:
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu209/Schaff570/misc/before02.jpg
From this angle you can tell that my bicep is horribly under-proportioned. Yeah, the tricep, too, but the bicep especially.

Back bicep:
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu209/Schaff570/misc/before03.jpg
My back is obviously my strength. And thank God I swabbed my ear before this photo was taken!:)

Indifference
06-11-2009, 11:32 AM
noodle-arms ftw. I feel your pain. Tall and long limbed is where its at! Just keep workin at it man, remember that when us tall skinny guys do actually have muscle, it looks good!

muscled
06-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Scuzz, start doing pullups all day long. Every chance you get, bang out some pullups. Your arms will grow.

Ben Moore
06-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Eat, squat, row, bench and deadift - your arms will grow. Don't succumb to the genetics excuse. I outweigh the men in my family by at least 60lbs. You just have to find a way.

Brian C
06-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Eat, squat, row, bench and deadift - your arms will grow. Don't succumb to the genetics excuse. .

And dont say "anyhoo"..this condemns you to noodle arms alone

Scuzzbucket
06-12-2009, 11:22 PM
And dont say "anyhoo"..this condemns you to noodle arms alone

S&#$! Okay, I'll quit doing that then. However, I do squat, row, dead, and bench but, the progress is very slow. And what about chinning everyday? That sounds excessive.

ZenMonkey
06-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Dude, youve been here forever. You should have a pretty good idea about what to do. I dont know what you want to hear besides the normal MO: Eat more and lift heavy.

cphafner
06-13-2009, 10:09 AM
And what about chinning everyday? That sounds excessive.

Doing chins everyday will do nothing but overwork the biceps. Nothing wrong with adding a chin/pullup motion on your back day. Just keep hitting the compound lifts and the arms will come along.

Scuzzbucket
06-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Dude, youve been here forever. You should have a pretty good idea about what to do. I dont know what you want to hear besides the normal MO: Eat more and lift heavy.

Actually, I just wanted to complain and be validated. But, I anticipated this.:)

jAy_Dub
06-14-2009, 06:30 PM
I haven't personally tried this full program but I've heard a lot of good things about FST-7 and how it has helped people to get their lagging arms to grow... Here's a link if you're interested. http://www.fst-7.com/fst7.html

I've incorporated a few things from it when working my tri's because it seems like nothing I do will get my triceps to grow but I think this has helped somewhat. I havent been doing it long enough to know for sure though.

Goodwinm
06-15-2009, 10:29 AM
*waits for sensei to post The Big Boys Menu Plan *

Here is the link. http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78823

Read it whilst eating a tub of chocolate ice cream
Reread it whilst drinking a gallon of milk,
Reminisce about the old times of being skinny,
Start your mission to becoming bigger, stronger and more powerful than ever before.

muscled
06-15-2009, 07:09 PM
And what about chinning everyday? That sounds excessive.

It might be for some but why not give it a try? If the usual advice offered here of rowing and eating till you vomit doesn't seem to be working, try something new.

jAy_Dub
06-15-2009, 07:46 PM
It might be for some but why not give it a try? If the usual advice offered here of rowing and eating till you vomit doesn't seem to be working, try something new.

Since when is useful advice to eat **** and do chinups everyday???

I know I'm going against the grain around here by saying this but articles like the one posted make me cringe. I guess first of all it depends on your goals. Do you want to be strong AND fat? If the answer is yes then go ahead and do exactly whats in that article. I once fell into that trap and had to take months and months backtracking because of all the fat gain. Please, if you care at all about your physique and not strength alone, then for your own sake do not do what that article tells you to do. Don't get me wrong, you obviously have to eat a lot of food to get big but it sure as hell doesnt have to involve putting mayo and sugar and all the rest of that **** on your food. Make some clean shakes with oats, natty pb, and bananas, you can easily get 1000 cals in CLEAN cals. Get up in the middle of the night and have a meal with CLEAN foods. But like I said, if you dont care about leanness then everything I said here is irrelevant.

Off Road
06-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Personally...I don't think your arms look out of proportion.

teeroy
06-15-2009, 09:49 PM

I agree with this. Keep up the good work!!!

Southern Beast
06-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Since when is useful advice to eat **** and do chinups everyday???

I know I'm going against the grain around here by saying this but articles like the one posted make me cringe. I guess first of all it depends on your goals. Do you want to be strong AND fat? If the answer is yes then go ahead and do exactly whats in that article. I once fell into that trap and had to take months and months backtracking because of all the fat gain. Please, if you care at all about your physique and not strength alone, then for your own sake do not do what that article tells you to do. Don't get me wrong, you obviously have to eat a lot of food to get big but it sure as hell doesnt have to involve putting mayo and sugar and all the rest of that **** on your food. Make some clean shakes with oats, natty pb, and bananas, you can easily get 1000 cals in CLEAN cals. Get up in the middle of the night and have a meal with CLEAN foods. But like I said, if you dont care about leanness then everything I said here is irrelevant.

Amen, brother.

coz999
06-18-2009, 07:05 AM
I too was haunted with puny arms. The key to arm building is MMC. Mind Muscle contraction. Although you read it, nobody applies it. Stop heaving around heavy ass db and bb. Use reasonable weight and get 15-20 reps. I have actually added an inch to my arms during contest prep, which is unheard of considering I dieted on 1800 cals. Also I buy an old school arm blaster off ebay. Similar to one arnold used. Best $30 purchased I ever made.
So a recap, you can heave heavy weight for back and chest but for arms take time to real focus on feeling it.

foodist
06-18-2009, 11:28 AM
S&#$! Okay, I'll quit doing that then. However, I do squat, row, dead, and bench but, the progress is very slow. And what about chinning everyday? That sounds excessive.

Im going to commit heresy on these boards and suggest that in addition to the core lifts, squat, deadlift, rows, bench, that you should also work in some traditional arm work, like (dont flame me) curls. Don't give up the big compound lifts, but throw in some diverse arms stuff, dips, scull crushers, hammer curls,etc.

I also have/had noodle-arm problems. I know the feeling, and i found my arms weren't growing until i started working my (don't flame me) biceps and triceps more explicitly. Now they're starting to grow, but still lag terribly behind my back and legs.

That's my suggestion, because i've definitely been there.

RUFF_RYDER
06-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Those arent really noodle arms. Over time they will get bigger but it takes time

Scuzzbucket
06-19-2009, 07:31 PM

What are you saying?! I'm small all over?!?!:swear:

;)