PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a dl bar

SGT ROCK
06-11-2009, 03:05 AM
I own an Okie and love it, but may be interested in buying another. Anyone have any suggestions and or feedback on other dl bars?

Semper Fi

Detard
06-11-2009, 06:26 AM
I competed at a meet a few weeks ago, and it was the first time i've used a deadlift bar. The thing was amazing. I'm not sure which bar it was, but I think it was the Texas Deadlift bar from Elite. The diameter was a little smaller which allowed the guys with small hands to get a good grip, and it was an 8 foot bar, perfect for sumo lifters.

Tom Mutaffis
06-11-2009, 06:26 AM
The Okie Deadlift Bar is definitely one of the best.

I believe there is also a 'Texas Deadlift Bar' that is pretty nice. Need to check the brand of the one that we have at the gym when I go this weekend.

Are you looking for something that is more cost effective? Heavier knurling? Or just something different?

MarcusWild
06-11-2009, 10:50 AM
We're happy with our Texas deadlift bar. It seems to be what most meet directors use, so that's a plus.

Ben Moore
06-11-2009, 10:55 AM
We have an okie as well. I don't like the amount of give it has because it puts me in the worst position possible. I tend to like a little stiffer bar to pull with, which is what the texas bar gives you.

SGT ROCK
06-11-2009, 06:15 PM
I would spend around 300 for one, thanks for the responses.

Semper Fi

The Bran Man
06-11-2009, 06:22 PM
what's the difference

KarstenDD
06-11-2009, 06:53 PM
The Texas DL bar is a good one.

Detard
06-12-2009, 10:02 AM
what's the difference

Usually an 8 foot bar, deeper knurling, sometimes the diameter is a little smaller, and i believe they flex a little differently than other bars.

Kiaran
06-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Just picked up an Ivanko Competition PL bar (OBX-20KG). Best bar I've ever gotten to use. Extremely rigid, outstanding knurling, spot-on weight, made in USA, exact measurements, IPF approved, and looks nice. Pretty pricey, but well worth it. The smooth part of the bar is pretty tiny as well, so this is nice if you have a narrow grip on Sumo DL...you'll still get knurling. Link is below. Not sure if you've shopped at ironcompany before. They are pretty quick about getting you your stuff.

http://www.ironcompany.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=524

MarcusWild
06-12-2009, 12:52 PM
There's way more flex in a deadlift bar. If you know how to use it, it'll help you lift more. I get a good 2"+ flex out of the bar. That's like having the plates 2" higher before starting the lift. The more you deadlift the more flex you get. I've seen it where it was near impossible to get a 25kg plate on the bar when it's jacked up because there's that much flex in the bar. You don't want that kind of flex in a squat or deadlift bar.

Detard
06-12-2009, 01:45 PM
There's way more flex in a deadlift bar. If you know how to use it, it'll help you lift more. I get a good 2"+ flex out of the bar. That's like having the plates 2" higher before starting the lift. The more you deadlift the more flex you get. I've seen it where it was near impossible to get a 25kg plate on the bar when it's jacked up because there's that much flex in the bar. You don't want that kind of flex in a squat or deadlift bar.

Yeah they do flex alot more. When the bar was on the jack for the big deadlifters, it was flexing to the point where the plates were almost touching the ground. It's perfect for sumo pullers with a narrow grip.