PDA

View Full Version : Scales while cutting

Marc123
06-11-2009, 03:28 PM
I am on a carb cut and cutting sucks due to i am constantly over checking the scale! How many others do this ? It sucks i weigh my self 8-15 times a day haha i need to knock it down to 1-3 times a week :)

Unreal
06-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Your crazy. I weight in every morning after I pee. That is the only time I'm on a scale.

Joe Black
06-12-2009, 02:01 AM
every morning is even a bit OTT.

I am on a cut now and I religiously get on the scales once a week - same time, same day.. Now and again I may step on there once more mid week but it's week to week you need to care about - day to day fluctations are very normal and not helpful to you.

Unreal
06-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Daniel, I agree but for me it is more of a mental thing. If I weigh in it keeps me on track because I have a marker to follow, plus I learn how my body reacts. I can now pretty much predict my weight. If I eat a bunch of carbs I can guess that I will go up 3-4lbs. If I "cheat" I can see a solid 10lb gain in a day. For me seeing what my body does and how it reacts to certain things is nice to know.

Holto
06-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Daniel, I agree but for me it is more of a mental thing. If I weigh in it keeps me on track because I have a marker to follow, plus I learn how my body reacts. I can now pretty much predict my weight. If I eat a bunch of carbs I can guess that I will go up 3-4lbs. If I "cheat" I can see a solid 10lb gain in a day. For me seeing what my body does and how it reacts to certain things is nice to know.

I fully agree. I think a well hydrated athlete shouldn't fluctuate that much. When I aim to maintain, I barely fluctuate at all.

That said, weighing yourself daily can easily negatively impact you mentally.

Unreal
06-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Yah, but I go from carb depleted to carb loaded. A normal day for me is ~70-80g of carbs. So when I pack in 500+ and a ton of salt I bloat up, then a day or two later I'm back to where I was.

Skelator03
06-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Im with unreal i will check it just to keep track of what my body is doing. i keep well hydrated so i like to see how diff food is affecting my body but all day everyday is just to much man

VDubb
06-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I've been trying to weigh-in daily (after my morning deuce) since I started my cut. I think the mental aspect depends on the individual. Like Unreal, I use it as motivation and don't let it bother me if I fluctuate some......

And because of my record keeping, I've been able to see a pretty distinct pattern in my weight loss, which is kind of cool.......

Joe Black
06-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Wel, it all depends on why you are checking I guess. I just assumed that you were seeing it fluctuate and were worried about it, but if you are not stressing about going up and down and understanding why it's happening, nothing wrong in that.

Although I still think 8-15 times is a little OCD ;)

Mr. Mustard
06-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Your crazy. I weight in every morning after I pee. That is the only time I'm on a scale.

Same here.

Optimum08
06-18-2009, 07:05 AM
i tend to put less emphasis on how the scale reads and more emphasis on how i look in the mirror. that being said, i still weigh myself (usually not more than twice a week, usually once- in the morning, same time and day every week), but really we are cutting to look great, not to necessarily get to a certain weight level.

8-15 times/day is SUPER OCD. i wouldn't do it more than 3 times/week (depending on your goals and your status)

vdizenzo
06-18-2009, 08:32 AM
I get on the scale every morning and write my weight in a journal. This keeps me diligent with my nutrition. I am pushing far beyond what my body wants to weigh. If I don't keep my calories up it is not uncommon for me to see a 3-4 lb weight drop in a day. I find weighing myself every morning keeps me from either gaining or losing too fast depending on what my current goal is.